Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 10/1/2013 8:12:44 PM   
Dr Lenera

To be honest, it’s been a pretty poor year for films. To my mind, the year has been full of disappointments, from minor [The Cabin In The Woods 'look at me, I think I'm so clever but actually I'm not, I'm pretty dumb'], Skyfall ‘I’m not much like a Bond film so the critics must think I’m the best’,] to major [The Hobbit 'I'm Peter Jackson but you may have to start calling me Peter Lucas', Prometheus 'nothing needs to make sense because we can say there will be a sequel']. Very few visits I have had to the cinema have been especially fulfilling. Saying that though, there haven’t been that many truly bad films either. The majority of this year’s stuff has been just….well…meh, average, a reasonable time waster but not much more. I also tend to avoid going to see films I think will be crap. Keith Lemon for example; you couldn’t pay me to see that. The following ten cinematic ‘masterpieces’ – well, the first two are actually not too bad really and I could probably sit through them again one day. The rest? Well, there is a chance that number seven may improve I suppose, a film which seemed to divide people even more than The Cabin In The Woods, but you won’t catch me buying the DVD to find out. The others? I doubt I’ll ever want to see them again, and at least two of them looked really good.

My top 20 will follow after this......

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 10/1/2013 8:13:24 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/
Post #: 1
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 10/1/2013 8:15:40 PM   
Dr Lenera

10/ GONE

Truth be told, Gone is not that bad. It’s a perfectly professional piece, but you could find its like on TV every evening. Films like this irritate me, because they smack of blandness. There’s nothing especially bad about it, and I certainly know that bad movies can sometimes be fun, but there’snothing especially bad about it either, it just annoying sits there while you wait for it to get good, which it never really does. As the climax approaches, it does finally seem like some thrills are about to come, but no, sadly they don’t, and it just ends. Really lazy filmmaking, witha plot that timidly avoids delving into stuff that could be….you know….interesting.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 2
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 10/1/2013 8:18:18 PM   
Dr Lenera

9/ HAYWIRE

You never really know what you’re going to get with a Steven Soderburgh film, but this one is certainly one of his failures. His supposed ‘take’ on the action movie is burdened by a muddled script that pretends its simple story is actually complicated, a total lack of tension, a dreadful performance by its lead star, cardboard characters and self-consciously stylised direction that is at odds with the trashy material. At least the meagre fight scenes are good, and shot so you can see what’s going on. Otherwise, if you want to see an arty action film, see Hanna.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 3
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 10/1/2013 8:21:51 PM   
Dr Lenera

8/ PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4

The first one was almost beautiful in its simplicity, its distilling of horror into the most basic elements, and it was bloody scary. The second and third instalments managed to, surprisingly, keep up the quality. This fourth film….well, I sat there in the cinema screen waiting….and waiting….and waiting to be frightened. The story failed to build up the interesting things thrown up by number three and was just content to rehash bits and pieces from all three previous films. As lazy a sequel as you can get.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 4
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 10/1/2013 8:23:44 PM   
Dr Lenera

7/ PROMETHEUS

For many years, I’ve thought that Ridley Scott had been outdone by his sadly departed brother Tony, and Prometheus confirmed that to me in no uncertain terms. Alternating between boredom and hilarity [including the year's funniest death scene], resolutely unimaginative in design, and saddled with an atrocious script that is little more than a random collection of incidents, it seems little more than a set-up for a series. It can’t even decide where it wants to stand in relation to the Alien series. Now you’ve pissed on Alien Ridley, I dread to think what you’re going to do with Blade Runner.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 5
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 10/1/2013 8:29:44 PM   
Dr Lenera

6/ THE IRON LADY

You would expect a film about Margaret Thatcher to be fascinating and even incendary. However, this tedious film puts the interesting stuff to the sides and concentrates on her dementia, resulting a depressing and unfuriating experience that I found unpleasantly exploitative even though I personally couldn’t stand the old cow. Meryl Streep is absolutely fantastic in the lead role, but it’ s all for nothing. What a shame.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 6
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 10/1/2013 10:43:57 PM   
ElephantBoy

Firstly i think the last year has been much better than you, but like the idea of the thread and look forward to seeing more.

Gone is a good choice and would probably make my bottom ten of the year, still oddly I did find some pleasures in it.

Iron Lady I go along with too and I didn't even find Streep's performance that good, not that it was how fault mind, more to do with being striat jacketed by hair and make up. It really was a overally safe and poorly put together film.

If Cabin in the Woods makes the list I will be mad

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 7
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 10/1/2013 10:47:28 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Didn't like Haywire either

Paranormal Activity 4 is one of the worst films I've seen in years

I liked Prometheus but was a little underwhelmed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

If Cabin in the Woods makes the list I will be mad

This.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 8
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 11/1/2013 12:03:06 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Two of these so far appeared in Homer's best of 2012 list They are also two I've seen.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 9
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 12/1/2013 6:34:08 AM   
Timbzy

My worst movies of 2012.

10. Tabu (Miguel Gomes)
9. The Devil Inside (William Brent Bell)
8. The Man with the Iron Fists (RZA)
7. Smiley (Michael J. Gallagher)
6. Remains (Colin Theys)
5. Imaginary Friend (Richard Gabai)
4. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Mark Neveldine & Brian Taylor)
3. Wrath of the Titans (Jonathan Liebesman)
2. The Victim (Michael Biehn)
1. The Three Stooges (Bobby Farrelly & Peter Farrelly)

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 10
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 12/1/2013 8:31:46 AM   
Dr Lenera

Thanks folks, and no Cabin In The Woods is not on the list, though I felt it didn't really work for me and got really poor towards the end. This is only a bit of fun really and know my tastes often differ from the norm. I think it's my Top 20 which will make folk question my sanity!

Timbzy we share one film

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 11
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 12/1/2013 6:29:50 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Thanks folks, and no Cabin In The Woods is not on the list, though I felt it didn't really work for me and got really poor towards the end. This is only a bit of fun really and know my tastes often differ from the norm. I think it's my Top 20 which will make folk question my sanity!

Timbzy we share one film

quote:

question my sanity!

Timbzy we share one film

My guess is Devil inside

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 12
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 12/1/2013 6:42:41 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Didn't like Haywire either

And another

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 13
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 13/1/2013 6:34:07 AM   
Timbzy

quote:

quote:

Timbzy we share one film

quote:

question my sanity!

Timbzy we share one film

My guess is Devil inside

That would be my guess too, or Wrath of the Titans.

Post #: 14
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 13/1/2013 11:15:08 AM   
Whistler

I agree with Haywire and Paranormal Activity 4, for pretty much all the reasons you mentioned. I really enjoyed Prometheus, though.

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 15
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 13/1/2013 3:00:55 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timbzy

quote:

quote:

Timbzy we share one film

quote:

question my sanity!

Timbzy we share one film

My guess is Devil inside

That would be my guess too, or Wrath of the Titans.

Nah it's none of those two

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 16
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 13/1/2013 3:08:10 PM   
Dr Lenera

5/ THE DARKEST HOUR

I love alien invasion movies but why do so many get it wrong? One of the scribes partly responsible for Prometheus was responsible for this, so you know it ain’t going to be good, but it all mostly boils down to lots of dull wondering about by dislikeable protagonists until it turns totally stupid for its final couple of reels which defy even basic logic, climaxing with the funniest scene involving a mobile phone this year.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 17
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 13/1/2013 3:10:01 PM   
Dr Lenera

4/ GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE

The first, because it had to have that obligatory ’12′/’ PG-13′ certificate, seemed to constantly chicken out on the intriguing aspects of its premise, but at least it was enjoyable. This total mess of a sequel, mixing stupid plotting with unintelligable action [this has been an awful year for properly-filmed action, you know, stuff that you can actually see], is [perhaps appropriately] an abomination, with Nicolas Cage doing his usual tedious yelling and pulling faces schtick we’ve seen many times before and are getting sick and tired of. Go back to acting school, Nic.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 18
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 13/1/2013 10:05:04 PM   
Timbzy

Interesting haha

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 19
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 13/1/2013 11:01:36 PM   
ElephantBoy

Haven't seen either of those two but did hear very bad things about the Darkest Hour, would you say the second Ghost Rider is worse than the first one?

Seems I just haven't lived the past year, should go and see the new Texas Chainsaw to make up for it

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 20
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 13/1/2013 11:17:49 PM   
elab49

I think Darkest Hour was in my bottom 5 for the year. Not just bad, but tacky and nasty. Almost as much as the Nazis at the Centre of the Earth thing. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 21
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 14/1/2013 9:17:20 PM   
Dr Lenera

3/ THE WATCH

A more perfect example of the tedious, dislikeable, aimed-purely-at-immature-teenage-boys Modern American Comedy is probably harder to find. Co-writer Seth Rogen’s [is there is a less talented actor and writer about?] usual obsession with penises replaces real laughs and the cast just tediously go through the motions with their obnoxious characters, except for Richard Ayoade who seems to be wondering what the hell he’s doing in the movie. You’ll find more laughs going to a funeral than watching this crap.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 14/1/2013 9:19:35 PM   
Dr Lenera

2/ THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN, PART TWO

Well for me one of the best things about this year was that this abysmally acted, appallingly written and mind-numbingly boring franchise, a franchise that may have done more damage to the good name of vampirism than stakes, garlic and crosses, is finally over, though it seems that new productions are being readied to fill the holes that the millions of heart-broken Twi-fans now have in their lives. Me? I would like to condemn Stephanie Meyer, Melissa Rosenberg, Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, and everyone else involved with flooding the world and contaminating the minds of teenage girls with this garbage, to the ‘gift’ of immortality, being forced to watch what they have created over and over again until they REPENT, REPENT, REPENT.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 23
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 14/1/2013 9:36:20 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

5/ THE DARKEST HOUR

I love alien invasion movies but why do so many get it wrong? One of the scribes partly responsible for Prometheus was responsible for this, so you know it ain’t going to be good, but it all mostly boils down to lots of dull wondering about by dislikeable protagonists until it turns totally stupid for its final couple of reels which defy even basic logic, climaxing with the funniest scene involving a mobile phone this year.

The 2nd worst film I witnessed in 2012. It made Skyline seem like The Day The Earth Stood Still (no not that one) in comparison.

In the case of Twilight, if you're not a fan - why put yourself through all the sequels? (unless of course you are paid to review things).

For example (and to expand a little further), Jack & Jill was a milestone for me- as it ended the 'I'll see anything' notion I once had and replaced it with 'If I'm pretty sure it's going to be rotten - why bother?'

In a sense I'm thankful, as my previous position would have probably lured me into Keith Lemon the film. (then again, the only factor in my 'will I/wont I' decision regarding that was Kelly Brook).

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 24
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 15/1/2013 12:25:01 PM   
Dr Lenera

Ha ha, now Keith Lemon I avoided, but Twilight; my dear wife likes them so I sat through them with her as she's sat through plenty of stuff with me she has disliked! Plus I do have a fondness for Kristen Stewart even if she's forgotten how to act since when she was a child actress.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 25
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 15/1/2013 6:49:55 PM   
ElephantBoy

The Watch did look a terrible waste of a decent cast from the trailer's I saw.

I suspect your being a little harsh on Twilight, having only seen the first film I would say they work for their target audience and that Stuwart is decent in the lead.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 26
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 16/1/2013 10:50:40 PM   
siegfried

I'd have included The Iron Lady if only for the evil old slag that it portrayed.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

Post #: 27
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 17/1/2013 12:45:46 PM   
Dr Lenera

1/ THIS MEANS WAR

For some reason I thought this movie would be amusing, silly fun, but then many things seem like a good idea at the time. Ten minutes into it, I realised I was watching the most offensive, annoying film in some time, a film where we are supposed to find two psychotic stalkers cool and funny, where we are supposed to find a heroine so dumb that a Barbie doll is more intelligent some kind of role model, a film which replays the same situation over and over again until you want to scream, a film that has action so ineptly crafted it looks like it was shot by blind people, a film which should tell McG once and for all that he should just give up on directing films, a film which actually made we wish I was watching Twilight. I find it extremely worrying that this film, in a year where the BBFC have totally lost their way and think sex, violence and bad language is pretty much suitable for young kids, is not only considered acceptable viewing for under 12s as long as they have supervision, but for anyone with more than one brain cell.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 28
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 17/1/2013 3:23:53 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I liked This Means War. A lot

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 29
RE: Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 - 17/1/2013 3:51:08 PM   
AxlReznor

The only one of those I've seen is Prometheus. And I loved it.
Couldn't pay me enough to sit through a Twilight film, though.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Doc's Bottom Ten Films Of 2012 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI