Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You canít make me dance, Iím not a monkey "

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You canít make me dance, Iím not a monkey " Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 1:49:12 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: a_new_power

But youíve missed the point entirely Ė I am allowed to say bugger or shite in a certain situations Ė If I go to a job interview, I must be on my best behaviour Ė If I want a big publisher to endorse a book, again I must be on my best behaviour Ė he was selling something, he was in an interview situation, watched on T.V and he choice to be rude with crude with his remarks. He was a jackass Ė I can say that in certain situations, for him this was not one of those situations Ė How can you not understand that.

That's not what you've been saying the whole time. This is what you've been saying

quote:

Tarantino had every right to refuse the question Ė however, being distasteful or disrespectful when refusing said questions is demonstrably not acceptable...

quote:

Tarantino did not do a good job as an interviewee and was very rude, and that is not to be commended or defended because then such things become acceptable.

quote:

no, I still stand by the fact he was distasteful with his slavery reference and rude in his response and approach - .

quote:

Like I've said - those kind of responses, whether the question be lazy or not are not a way for people to behave, especially in a professional environment.

quote:

My point however was that there is a simple truth in the world and you have certain behaviours that need to be endorsed, especially when you're flogging your crap to people and the question is based somewhat on the crap youíre selling-

Your point has consistently been about his behaviour. You say that it's especially important in that kind of environment, but you're very clearly saying people shouldn't behave that way in any situation. If you're saying that, then you should display those standards yourself, regardless of environment, otherwise you're just being a hypocrite. And Tarantino or Jackson being rude to an interviewer is not the same thing as someone being rude in a job interview. Jackson and Tarantino aren't dependent on that interviewer for work, it's a mutual relationship, they get to promote their film, the interviewers get an interview with a star name for their show.

(in reply to a_new_power)
Post #: 91
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 1:50:22 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I think with Matty it's impolite to refer to him as anything else. The sloppy cunt as he is.

Thanks for the input, dickhead.

No problem, you semen dribbling arsemonkey.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 92
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 2:02:59 AM   
a_new_power

quote:

Your point has consistently been about his behaviour. You say that it's especially important in that kind of environment, but you're very clearly saying people shouldn't behave that way in any situation. If you're saying that, then you should display those standards yourself, regardless of environment, otherwise you're just being a hypocrite. And Tarantino or Jackson being rude to an interviewer is not the same thing as someone being rude in a job interview. Jackson and Tarantino aren't dependent on that interviewer for work, it's a mutual relationship, they get to promote their film, the interviewers get an interview with a star name for their show.

Well, if I never made it clear than I apologise Ė but I thought it was pretty obvious that I was referring to the situation in the interview.

But this is ridiculous, I never used the analogy of a job interview to be taken literally! However, is he or is he not there to promote and sell! If so, donít you think there is a way to behave Ė of course people could act in certain ways in other situations, message boards being one of them and if I never made that clear earlier on, again apologies because Iíve not said they canít! You must realise that this was not one of those situations, and if you canít understand that then I canít make it anymore clear for you...

< Message edited by a_new_power -- 12/1/2013 2:06:18 AM >

"A coward is a hero with a wife, kids, and a mortgage."

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 93
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 2:52:08 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

No, it was with some guy who wanted to talk about "the n word" and Jackson refuses to answer the question unless he actually says it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDvNSopOd-Q

Awkward!

He doesn't mean the n-word in a disrespectful way, he means it as a general term for ignorant motherfucker.

And that's all I'm adding in this thread.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 94
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 4:18:32 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

that he's brought an agenda (which, if he has, isn't clear from the questions, and your misquoting of KGM doesn't help),

Please show me exactly what I've misquoted.

Looking through, that was my mistake - I had thought he said "Do you just get a kick out of it? You just enjoy it? Or--", whereas the actual question was "You just get a kick out of it? Or you just enjoy it? OrÖ". Arguably, the distinction that a 'do' should add is minimal, but if you want to read an agenda into that (after being told asking Tarantino why he uses violence is like 'asking Judd Apatow why he makes comedies'), go right ahead.

Arguably, asking Judd Apatow why he makes comedies is a legitimate question that would probably yield a quite interesting response, though, given Apatow's preoccupations.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 95
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 10:09:01 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

that he's brought an agenda (which, if he has, isn't clear from the questions, and your misquoting of KGM doesn't help),

Looking through, that was my mistake - I had thought he said "Do you just get a kick out of it? You just enjoy it? Or--", whereas the actual question was "You just get a kick out of it? Or you just enjoy it? OrÖ". Arguably, the distinction that a 'do' should add is minimal, but if you want to read an agenda into that (after being told asking Tarantino why he uses violence is like 'asking Judd Apatow why he makes comedies'), go right ahead.

My thinking he's got an agenda is because he admits he's asking him about it all because of the wider debate in politics. Tarantino has spoken about this recently and he seemed extremely angry and found it disrespectful to the dead that some people are trying to shift the debate about murdered children away from gun control towards another tiresome round of blaming art for the actions of lunatics. Now all that's going on is I'm seeing the questioning, and the way the questions are phrased, as attempting to provoke. I think the agenda is that he's trying to take what Tarantino saw as yet another pr interview for the film and turn it into something more serious. Something he was obviously both unprepared for and unwilling to take part in. It feels like an ambush and the general tone of "oh but he should have answered because of this, this or this" seems unwilling to simply say "he didn't want to, his choice." Basically, I don't think this should even have been a thing.

As for Apatow. His mother worked in a comedy club for a while and he fell in love with stand-up. Managed to interview a lot of big name comedians when he was still very young. He essentially grew up in the culture. He did give a very interesting WTF interview a while back.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 96
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 10:11:23 AM   
matty_b

quote:

Since there isn't an obligation to be polite is it OK if I call Matty a cunt?

quote:

I think with Matty it's impolite to refer to him as anything else. The sloppy cunt as he is.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 97
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 11:28:09 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: a_new_power
Of course he has an obligation to be polite - what are you talking about!

Why? He needs nothing from KGM, and he's certainly not trying to sell him anything. He is simply there to promote his movie (which it could be argued has been achieved far more effectively with this interview than if he had answered the question). And it can also be argued that KGM, T4 and all those other shitty outlets that broadcast these interviews benefit far more than QT will - "Coming up! Interviews with the director and stars of new hot movie X!"

quote:

I never said anything about the direction of the interview, although it is the interviewers right to go the direction they see fit, especially if jackass directors P.R people canít do their jobs properly by looking up who the hell the interviewer is

I agree with you that KGM can ask whichever questions he likes. I think it makes him a shitty interviewer to push a line of questioning he's already been told will not be answered, but that's beside the point.

quote:

My point however was that there is a simple truth in the world and you have certain behaviours that need to be endorsed, especially when you're flogging your crap to people and the question is based somewhat on the crap youíre selling- He in that interview with his remarks thinks everybody are dumb drones looking for dumb answer to dumb questions, he's supposed to be an intelligent creative director - heat of the moment, letís not be silly!

Given how braindead and anodyne most of these junket interviews are, you can hardly blame him. And 'interviewee loses his shit' is unremarkable to the point of cliche. I've seen, heard and read countless interviews that have gone far worse than this (a R1 interview some years ago with the Beastie Boys in particular springs to mind). The notion that interviewees are bound by some kind of behavioural covenant is ridiculous.

(in reply to a_new_power)
Post #: 98
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 11:46:08 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My thinking he's got an agenda is because he admits he's asking him about it all because of the wider debate in politics. Tarantino has spoken about this recently and he seemed extremely angry and found it disrespectful to the dead that some people are trying to shift the debate about murdered children away from gun control towards another tiresome round of blaming art for the actions of lunatics. Now all that's going on is I'm seeing the questioning, and the way the questions are phrased, as attempting to provoke. I think the agenda is that he's trying to take what Tarantino saw as yet another pr interview for the film and turn it into something more serious. Something he was obviously both unprepared for and unwilling to take part in. It feels like an ambush and the general tone of "oh but he should have answered because of this, this or this" seems unwilling to simply say "he didn't want to, his choice." Basically, I don't think this should even have been a thing.

So, everyone has said he didn't have to, his choice. That doesn't mean Tarantino's thereby immune from all criticism on the way he handled it or in the answers he did give before that. And it's fine that you perceive an agenda - personally, as someone who has seen the exact same responses in games journalism leading to and following Biden's discussions with industry representatives today, I think that while there's no case to answer about direct causation and there never has been, culture doesn't exist in a hermetically-sealed environment and there's something to be probed regarding the general societal impact of a culture that fetishises gun violence (something I would've thought Tarantino would have agreed with on the back of Inglourious Basterds, but after his pretty shallow answers about why he uses violence I'm not so sure). And yeah, rereading the transcript, KGM could have done a lot better in terms of the way his questions were presented - the one that prompts the refusal is combative, and while he attempts to reframe it with the 'Jamie Foxx says' question, the damage is done. But Tarantino's responses - all of them - cast aspersions on why he uses violence and makes him look like a child when he had a perfect opportunity to school KGM.

And I honestly don't give a shit that Tarantino felt 'ambushed'. It's an interview. No interviewer is obliged to go nice on him. I don't know why that's part of the case you're advancing.

quote:

As for Apatow. His mother worked in a comedy club for a while and he fell in love with stand-up. Managed to interview a lot of big name comedians when he was still very young. He essentially grew up in the culture. He did give a very interesting WTF interview a while back.

See, that's great, but there's something more fundamental about why ways of storytelling appeal to us. If Apatow told me, an interviewer asking him why he makes comedies, what you just wrote, I would ask him again why he makes comedies. "I grew up in the culture" doesn't explain why a genre appeals to a storyteller any more than "it's fun" or "it's cathartic" explains why violence is used by a storyteller. No shit it's cathartic. That's a basic tenet of storytelling. Congratulations, Aristotle.

But all of this is really frippery and sophistry outside of the simple idea that Tarantino's tantrum made him look silly. That's it. Tantrums generally do that because adults generally don't throw tantrums. I'm not going to sit here and say 'oh yes you were right to fly off the handle at the guy who asked a question you didn't like.'

But I'm pretty sure there's zero likelihood of us seeing eye to eye on this.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 12/1/2013 11:50:46 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 99
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 12:08:56 PM   
rawlinson

I just find that "why do you make..." an incredibly lazy line of questioning. I think there's something interesting to be pulled out of something more specific to that individual's work, but as a basic question it's no different to "where do you get your ideas from?" I think there's also a bit of defensiveness because that question usually carries an undertone of judgement, it's often aimed at people who work in genres that are deemed less worthy. You don't hear "Why do you write romances?" as much as "Why do you write horror?", for example. I like seeing artists treating those questions with contempt because I think it shows a general lack of familiarity with the interviewees work. Now if that question had been to ask Tarantino why he'd started taking these violent revenge dramas and setting them in alternate timeline histories (because that's all we can really assume both Django and IB are), that might have led to something interesting.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 100
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 12:38:34 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Fair enough.

Indeed. Tired of media agenda type scapegoating and pushing this kind of rubbish during interviews. Good for him for derailing that.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 101
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 12/1/2013 2:58:20 PM   
Hood_Man

If I spent 20 years answering the same boring question I'd probably go Charlie Bronson on someone.

Afterwards I'd say "THERE'S my stance on movie violence, bitch!"

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 102
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You canít make me dance, Iím not a monkey " Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI