Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

"Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You canít make me dance, Iím not a monkey "

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You canít make me dance, Iím not a monkey " Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You canít ma... - 10/1/2013 8:01:53 PM   
elfzooey

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/quentin-tarantino-tells-interviewer-you-cant-make-me-dance-im-not-a-monkey-8446660.html

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always give what you've always had"
Post #: 1
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 10/1/2013 8:36:22 PM   
UTB

Good for him.

(in reply to elfzooey)
Post #: 2
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 10/1/2013 8:45:43 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Quintin,you don't look like a monkey.
Peace.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 3
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 10/1/2013 9:04:18 PM   
Super Hans

"I'm shutting your butt down!"

Fair play to him - some twatty reporter making another lazy connection with violence in media and the morons that do it for real, they need a good shutting up sometimes!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to elfzooey)
Post #: 4
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 9:53:45 AM   
Chief

Fair enough. How can you be expected to come up with an answer to such a sensitive issue on the spot like that? He'd end up saying something that could be twisted or misconstrued and quoted a hundred times, 10 years later when some other nutter does something bad.

(in reply to elfzooey)
Post #: 5
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 10:46:10 AM   
Rebenectomy

Yeah I saw the interview last night, the whole thing was just very unprofessional and awkward. One thing that annoyed me slightly though was Tarantino's insistence that that the interview was nothing more than a 'commercial for his movie'. If that be the case, how much are the producers of the film paying Channel Four to screen this 'commercial'?

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 6
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 10:52:51 AM   
AxlReznor

You do realise that this is the only reason anybody with a movie coming out has interviews, right?

The whole linking of movie violence with real life violence thing is both lazy, and distracts from the real debate on how to deal with violence. I applaud Tarantino for refusing to take part in the discussion.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 7
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 10:54:10 AM   
elab49

He sounds like a tit. He was being interviewed for Channel 4 news not by an entertainment reporter for Daybreak or the like. If he wasn't interested in a discussion he should have said no - there was nothing wrong with Guru-Murphy's questions - they weren't attacking or cruel, they were openly worded for a dialogue. QT comes across like a child.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 8
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 10:55:10 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Yeah I saw the interview last night, the whole thing was just very unprofessional and awkward. One thing that annoyed me slightly though was Tarantino's insistence that that the interview was nothing more than a 'commercial for his movie'. If that be the case, how much are the producers of the film paying Channel Four to screen this 'commercial'?

I can see his point though, it would have just been another in a long round of publicity appearances to Tarantino. From his point of view he wasn't doing an interview to discuss film violence, it was just something to promote his film.

Post #: 9
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:02:03 AM   
elab49

Then he should talk to the incompetent on his management team who can't understand the difference between an interview with an airhead ents 'reporter' and the one he was sent into.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 11/1/2013 11:07:44 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:08:40 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Then he should talk to the incompetent on his management team who can't understand the difference between an interview with an airhead ents reporter and one he was sent into.

You mean the one the interviewer came to with a clear agenda that Tarantino seems to want no part of? I'm sure if he'd been upfront and told Tarantino's management team he wanted to turn it into a debate on gun violence in America then he would have refused the interview. He's asked about violence in films three questions in a row. He answers them all. The interviewer keeps pushing it. He asks another question. Tarantino says he refuses to answer. He pushes it again. He loses his temper. He's clearly trying to provoke from the second question, "You just get a kick out of it" Seriously, I think Tarantino often comes across quite badly in interviews, but this is 100% on the interviewer. He's got an agenda that he's brought to this interview, he's trying to link it in to the debate on gun-crime. He even says that as one of the questions. Tarantino says again he refuses to answer. Interviewer says that's fine. Then tries to ask the question again. How many times does he need to be told that Tarantino is unwilling to have the debate with him, that's not why he's doing the interview, before he gets the message?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:12:21 AM   
elab49

I don't agree. This is a news programme and open questions for a discussion were given. If QT's team think they can send him on Channel 4 news for a shallow PR job then they're idiots. If they've never seen a proper news programme they should have asked someone who had. They repeat questions because they are seeking answers not evasions. I didn't see the question engaged with or answered which was why it was repeated.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 12
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:12:52 AM   
Rgirvan44

Tarantino being questioned about screen violence feels soooooo 1996.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 13
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:13:59 AM   
sharkboy

'Fraid that as much as I like him and his movies, he does come across as a bit of a prick here.  Yes, he's doing a round of interviews for his movie so in some way it is a "commercial", but when that interview is being conducted by a respected news journalist for a major news programme, surely you should be prepared for the more difficult questions?  And is it just me, or does anyone else think that his master and slave analogy was a bit much?  For someone who has just released a movie that shows some of the horrors of slavery, comparing that to being asked difficult questions for a TV interview just seems a bit insensitive to the subject.

Also, if you read the transcript more carefully, you'll see that at no point did Guru-Murphy claim that movie violence led to real violence.  Rather, he asked QT why his movies were so violent and why he held the view that one doesn't lead to another.  This wasn't "your movies cause people to hurt other people", this was "why are you so sure that the violence in your movies doesn't encourage people to hurt others?".  A subtle difference, perhaps, but if I were as vocal as QT has been on the subject, I'd have welcomed the opportunity to present my rationale on a respected news programme.  Instead, he just threw his toys out of the pram when it became clear to him that the interview wasn't going to be the "commercial" he thought it would be.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 14
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:17:28 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I don't agree. This is a news programme and open questions for a discussion were given. If QT's team think they can send him on Channel 4 news for a shallow PR job then they're idiots. If they've never seen a proper news programme they should have asked someone who had. They repeat questions because they are seeking answers not evasions. I didn't see the question engaged with or answered which was why it was repeated.

100% this.  And Tarantino should just be thankful his team hadn't booked him to appear on Newsnight - Paxman would have ripped him a new one for these answers!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:22:36 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
And is it just me, or does anyone else think that his master and slave analogy was a bit much?† For someone who has just released a movie that shows some of the horrors of slavery, comparing that to being asked difficult questions for a TV interview just seems a bit insensitive to the subject.

Yeah that bit made my skin crawl, and did nothing to dispel arguments against Tarantino that he's taken a very sensitive subject matter and exploited it without a proper understanding of it.

I'm with elab here. There is a world of different between your E/T4 press junkets and an interview with a respected journalist. Tarantino should have engaged far better, he didn't necessarily have to be drawn into a debate on film violence, but he could have listened to what was being asked of him and responded with far more maturity that what he did. He's been in the business long enough now to know how to play the game.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 16
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:25:38 AM   
AxlReznor

By the same token, he's been in the business long enough for other people to realise that the rules of the game mean nothing to him, and he's gonna play it his way even if it makes him look like a dick at times.

Post #: 17
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:26:06 AM   
rawlinson

KGM said on Twitter, the day before the interview, that he was interviewing him about the film. Not about the ongoing debate on gun violence, about the film. He even asks his followers for questions they'd like to see answered. I'm not sure that qualifies as hard-hitting journalism, tbh. As for the interview itself. He asks him why he's so sure there's no link between real world and cinema violence, Tarantino says he refuses to answer. Interviewer tries claiming he's just asking questions. Tarantino again says he refuses that line of discussion. Interviewer says that's fine, then tries asking the question yet again by bringing up Jamie Foxx's views. Tarantino tells him he needs to speak to Jamie Foxx about that, not him. Interviewer again tries to ask him about it, Tarantino again says no, tells him he's just there to promote the film. A professional interviewer would have realised he was getting nowhere and tried to salvage the interview by actually discussing the film. He refuses to do that. How exactly is that Tarantino's fault? Why should he be obligated to have that discussion if that wasn't the interview he agreed to? Where's the blame on the professional journalist for not just moving along with the interview? He has plenty of opportunities to do just that and he refuses to do it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:28:00 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

KGM said on Twitter, the day before the interview, that he was interviewing him about the film. Not about the ongoing debate on gun violence, about the film. He even asks his followers for questions they'd like to see answered. I'm not sure that qualifies as hard-hitting journalism, tbh. As for the interview itself. He asks him why he's so sure there's no link between real world and cinema violence, Tarantino says he refuses to answer. Interviewer tries claiming he's just asking questions. Tarantino again says he refuses that line of discussion. Interviewer says that's fine, then tries asking the question yet again by bringing up Jamie Foxx's views. Tarantino tells him he needs to speak to Jamie Foxx about that, not him. Interviewer again tries to ask him about it, Tarantino again says no, tells him he's just there to promote the film. A professional interviewer would have realised he was getting nowhere and tried to salvage the interview by actually discussing the film. He refuses to do that. How exactly is that Tarantino's fault? Why should he be obligated to have that discussion if that wasn't the interview he agreed to? Where's the blame on the professional journalist for not just moving along with the interview? He has plenty of opportunities to do just that and he refuses to do it.

Also, this. Entirely this.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 19
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:29:01 AM   
Rgirvan44

Another flaw is you are presuming that Tarantino knows C4 News from MTV UK. The interviewers are all herded into a room, and it is one after another. Unlikely OT even knew who he was reporting on behalf of.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:30:53 AM   
Rebenectomy

Oh don't get me wrong, when I said the interview was unprofessional, I did mean from both sides, not just Tarantino. But there's nothing to state that an interview about a movie, especially a one on one interview (as opposed to panel or press pool), can't address the bigger picture, and it was to be expected that in the current climate there was to be a little more debate.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 21
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:34:05 AM   
elab49

I'm afraid I just don't see the interview that way. And I'm not sure why Channel 4 news would move along and do a puff/PR job on the film with nothing else - that's not what the news show does. They tried to have a discussion with a grown man who behaved foolishly. QT should never have agreed to the interview.

And promoting an interview on twitter the day before hardly condemns them. No more than QT's ratings accusations. In years to come the events at C4 news people will remember won't be a grown man behaving like a child but more the likes of Alastair Campbell's amazing interview after storming into the building. Because that's what we watch the news for. Not puff pieces on films. If they want the likes of QT on then I think viewers expect more than 'what are your inspirations'. Not on a film about slavery caught up in discussions of violence. Which is probably the only reason they bothered getting involved in the first place.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 22
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:42:40 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Oh don't get me wrong, when I said the interview was unprofessional, I did mean from both sides, not just Tarantino. But there's nothing to state that an interview about a movie, especially a one on one interview (as opposed to panel or press pool), can't address the bigger picture, and it was to be expected that in the current climate there was to be a little more debate.

I don't disagree. But at the moment the subject of the interview states that's not what they're there to talk about, the interviewer has two options. They can press it, risk the interview getting confrontational but also know it'll get them and their show some publicity. Or they can salvage the interview and move on to other questions. If Tarantino had agreed to take part in a Newsnight debate about cinema violence and then acted like that then it would be out of order, but he clearly states time and time again that's not what he's there for.

quote:

And promoting an interview on twitter the day before hardly condemns them.

It does when they're not promoting it as "I'm interview Tarantino on his feelings on the impact of cinematic violence". He promoted it as interviewing him about Django Unchained, then asked twitter followers for questions to ask him. If the only reason they brought him in was to talk about the violence aspect, why is Tarantino unaware of it, why are they promoting it as an interview about the film, and why are they asking for questions on Twitter?

quote:

In years to come the events at C4 news people will remember won't be a grown man behaving like a child but more the likes of Alastair Campbell's amazing interview after storming into the building

And a film director working a long line of press interviews should be aware of this because...?

quote:

Because that's what we watch the news for. Not puff pieces on films.

Again, this is Tarantino's fault, because...?

quote:

If they want the likes of QT on then I think viewers expect more than 'what are your inspirations'.

So why not make Tarantino aware of this ahead of time? All it takes is "Will you do an interview for our news show where we discuss the violence in your work and how you think that impacts on real world behaviour?" That's clearly not the discussion he's there for. And once he refuses that discussion, why not move on?

Post #: 23
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:43:53 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

"I'm shutting your butt down!"

Fair play to him - some twatty reporter making another lazy connection with violence in media and the morons that do it for real, they need a good shutting up sometimes!

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 24
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:44:22 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Another flaw is you are presuming that Tarantino knows C4 News from MTV UK. The interviewers are all herded into a room, and it is one after another. Unlikely OT even knew who he was reporting on behalf of.

Who  is? I specifically said there was an incompetent on his PR team.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 25
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 11:54:19 AM   
sharkboy

OK, so maybe KGM should have moved on, but strange that nobody said the same about Paxman when he was interviewing Michael Howard!

Maybe it's because a large part of my job is providing briefing to government ministers before interviews, but if anyone thinks that QT doesn't have someone doing a similar job on his staff, they're very much mistaken.  Before the door was even opened to KGM, Tarantino should have been well aware that this was a respected reporter from a serious news programme, and in light of recent events Stateside, to think that the issue of guns or violence wouldn't be raised was naieve to say the least.  The fact that he thought KGM's approach to the interview was a bid for ratings and that he was there simply for a movie commercial clearly indicate that he had little or no idea who the interview was for, which reflects pretty badly on him and his staff.

WWLD?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 12:03:02 PM   
AxlReznor

Michael Howard is a politician highly skilled in evading questions by pretending to answer them without actually answering them. When a question is asked of a politician, you damn well keep on asking it until it's been answered... especially when they want to be in charge of the country.

Quentin Tarantino is a filmmaker. If he wants to answer questions like that, then that's fine... but unlike politicians, he shouldn't be forced to.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 27
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 12:05:03 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

OK, so maybe KGM should have moved on, but strange that nobody said the same about Paxman when he was interviewing Michael Howard!

Because one was a government politician who'd gone on to a political debate show in his own country with full knowledge that he would be grilled and the other was a film director on a pr tour in a foreign country to promote a film.

There's obviously something that's gone wrong somewhere along the way. Whether it's C4 news not being upfront about what they wanted from the interview or one of Tarantino's team not briefing him in advance. We can make assumptions about what went wrong before hand (and it'll probably be somewhere in the middle, C4 news didn't say they wanted a debate on violence, the pr team didn't check out the request thoroughly, thinking it was just another interview) but if an interview is a clusterfuck, and the interviewer has the opportunity to salvage it and refuses to take it, that's on the interviewer rather than the interviewee.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 28
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 12:07:37 PM   
elab49

I agree with the word 'force' but there's a difference between that and not bothering to engage and starting to use slavery analogies. 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29
RE: "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You caní... - 11/1/2013 12:53:24 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

So why not make Tarantino aware of this ahead of time? All it takes is "Will you do an interview for our news show where we discuss the violence in your work and how you think that impacts on real world behaviour?" That's clearly not the discussion he's there for. And once he refuses that discussion, why not move on?

Because that's not KGM's job? It's not an interviewer's job to cater to the person they're interviewing, it's an interviewer's job to go in to ask about what they're interested in pursuing. Tarantino's there to talk about Django, yes, but he's also there to talk about all the discussions caught up in Django, up to and including the violence within it and the context that has in relation to Tarantino's other work and greater social discussions on violence in media. Django isn't just 'how was Jamie Foxx on set/how do you feel about your Best Picture nomination/how was it finally working with Leonardo DiCaprio' - incidentally, questions to which he has probably provided answers many times. KGM's job is to ask questions related to the film. Questions about cinematic violence are totally related to a well-promoted mainstream film with brutal violence made by a director renowned for his brutally violent films released in a climate where discussions about depictions of violence and their contribution to a culture of violence are rife. And hey, if you're interviewing for a news programme and you're after answers on particular issues, it is your job to press the issue. It is your job not to let the subject run away. Because otherwise you're just playing softball, and that's hardly professional. Calling into question KGM's professionalism because he did his job is pretty lame.

Further, nobody's saying Tarantino was obligated to answer the question. It would have made him look much better if he did - indeed, if he feels so strongly about it, he should have jumped at the chance to explain his position - but he could have left the room if he so wished. He's a big boy, he can use his legs. What he did was complain that KGM was out of line because the interview was a mere commercial; what he did was compare KGM to a slavemaster because he asked him some questions Tarantino was uncomfortable with and wouldn't let up. These attitudes are pretty telling and totally right to be criticised, because Tarantino's lambasting KGM for doing the job he's paid to do and doing so in a way that can legitimately be called problematic. KGM has no duty to be nice to him.

Also worth noting, given that the Independent video clearly states that KGM asked Tarantino other questions and that he got good results, it's a bit rich to say that KGM went in solely to ask about cinema violence and that he completely distorted the purpose of the junket. He was there to ask questions about Django. This just happened to be one of them. It also just happened to be one Tarantino objected to in a really terrible way. It also also just happened that KGM salvaged the interview and got some good answers about stuff Tarantino was comfortable talking about.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 11/1/2013 12:55:03 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> "Quentin Tarantino tells interviewer: You canít make me dance, Iím not a monkey " Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI