Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 10/1/2013 11:04:48 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Is it rare for Oscar to diverge to much from the DGA noms?†

The DGA was always a better predictor for the best picture line-up. They'd usually miss one or two for the actual director list.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 91
RE: RE: - 10/1/2013 11:08:23 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Also if Django wins Best Picture, it'll probably give Spike Lee an aneurysm.

He's more likely to die of over-inflated self-importance as only three films in the history of the Oscars have won without a Best Director nomination, and only one of those was in the past eighty years.

This is true. Then again crazier things have happened, like Lee thinking it was a good idea to remake Oldboy.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 92
RE: RE: - 10/1/2013 11:13:01 PM   
elab49

From Up on Poppy Hill and Children Who Chase Lost Voices were eligible.

Oscar are idiots.

Edit. And so was Denis Lavant. Ditto.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 10/1/2013 11:14:04 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 93
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 12:10:00 AM   
Deviation

Lavant not being there is sad. But No got a nomination so they're cool by me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 94
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 12:14:07 AM   
elab49

This Must be the Place was eligible this year. The idiocy increases.

Wish I hadn't looked at that link now. I was enjoying being amused at the director list before that

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 95
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 12:24:43 AM   
Deviation

Wasn't This Must be the Place have a middling reception? I haven't heard that much good things about it.

However, No got a nom so this is the best Oscars ever.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 96
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 12:35:00 AM   
elab49

Screw 'em - it's probably still my best film released last year. 

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 97
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 12:40:49 AM   
SadFace

Deviation, did you like No? You're sending me mixed vibes.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 98
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 3:02:22 AM   
Deviation

No, it's misguided semi-Chilean pride.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 99
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 10:41:54 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Wasn't This Must be the Place have a middling reception? I haven't heard that much good things about it.

Pretty much. In terms of matching critical reception, judging by the Metacritic list compiled from critics end of year top 10s, 7 of the top 10 most critically acclaimed films of the year made the Oscar best picture list - ZDT, Lincoln, Amour, Argo, Beasts, SLP, Django. Out of the remaining two Oscar noms, Life of Pi came 12th, Les Mis 25th. The films with most right for their fanbases to be pissed on that basis are The Master, Moonrise Kingdom and Holy Motors. They were the second, third and fifth place films.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 100
RE: Forget Dark Knight Rises, The Master should have ea... - 11/1/2013 11:50:15 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: atom_band

The Master is the finest film ever made. But its understandable it didn't earn best picture, best director or screenplay nominations. Its a bit extreme for Academy voters. At least there's 3 acting nominations which were to too magnificent to ignore

As much as I really rate PTA (and I really do!) I wasnít that enamored with The Master, so Iím not too surprised at it getting overlooked for Best Picture either. It did however deserve recognition in the Cinematography and Score categories in my opinion. Greenwood overlooked again is just criminal! Bad enough for There Will be Blood (the better of the 2 scores for me) but to overlook another superb offering is just bonkers!  

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to atom_band)
Post #: 101
RE: Forget Dark Knight Rises, The Master should have ea... - 11/1/2013 11:55:44 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: atom_band

The Master is the finest film ever made. But its understandable it didn't earn best picture, best director or screenplay nominations. Its a bit extreme for Academy voters. At least there's 3 acting nominations which were to too magnificent to ignore

As much as I really rate PTA (and I really do!) I wasnít that enamored with The Master, so Iím not too surprised at it getting overlooked for Best Picture either. It did however deserve recognition in the Cinematography and Score categories in my opinion. Greenwood overlooked again is just criminal! Bad enough for There Will be Blood (the better of the 2 scores for me) but to overlook another superb offering is just bonkers! †

Yep.The score for The Master is really something in my opinion,sounds extremely original/fresh.
Jonny Greenwood & the London Contemporary Orchestra did a great job.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 102
- 11/1/2013 11:56:14 AM   
staypuft2

agreed with below, again no cinematography or score nomination for the master, which is a bit of a travesty really, if you ask me. a real oversight.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 103
RE: - 11/1/2013 2:11:51 PM   
Chronicle

Again the films are almost entirely from the end of the year..

(in reply to staypuft2)
Post #: 104
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 3:44:39 PM   
Dannybohy

The Impossible has been mostly bummed. shame

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 105
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 5:04:54 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

Again the films are almost entirely from the end of the year..

That's more to do with scheduling than anything else. Studios usually push Oscar potential films to late in the year.

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 106
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 5:15:56 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Wonder why neither Bond or Batman's films got nominated as there was still an open spot left in the best film catagory? (they only chose 9 as opposed to the 10 they could have)

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 107
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 5:38:56 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Wonder why neither Bond or Batman's films got nominated as there was still an open spot left in the best film catagory? (they only chose 9 as opposed to the 10 they could have)

Because that's not how they're nominated. Every Academy voter gets to list their favourite five (think they've reduced it to five now, even though there's up to 10 slots) films of the year. They have to rank their ballots in order. So a ballot could look like

1. The Master
2. Lincoln
3. Skyfall
4. Argo
5. Silver Linings Playbook

Every ballot is then organised based on the first place choice. All films have to get a certain % of the votes to progress to the second round. If there are only 10 films getting first placed votes, and they all get over that %, then there's only 10 nominees. If there's more than 10 first place films, or not 10 that make that %, then the ballots that voted for those films get spread out again based on their second placed vote. So by the example I gave, anyone who voted for The Master in the first round would have their ballot put in the pile for Lincoln instead, and they would be considered as nominating Lincoln. If the second place choice was for an eliminated film then they'd go to the third place choice, and so on. Each voter's ballot can only count towards one film.

But Batman stood absolutely no chance of getting a nomination, regardless of the voting system. It didn't get nominated by the Baftas, the Golden Globes, the producers guild, the actors guild, the directors guild or the writers guild. It got next to no nominations at any of the critics awards, when it did show up it was mostly a nod to Hathaway, often combined with Les Mis. The film had absolutely zero support. Skyfall had a bit more of a chance, but Moonrise Kingdom or The Master was likely the film closest to the 10th slot, based on precursors.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 108
RE: RE: - 12/1/2013 9:33:48 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Oh never knew that.
Wonder if it's because they get dvds before they make their noms is the reason that Beasts & Amour got nods? which is a good thing as they probably didn't get seen by what 80-90% of the voters when they were released at the Cinema & hopefully will open up the paths for similar productions to have more of a wider release.
On another note find it hillarious that Affleck walked away with Critics Choice Best Director day after he got snubbed at The Oscars heard he made a joke in his speech about it.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 12/1/2013 9:39:12 AM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 109
Best Score?!?! - 16/1/2013 2:15:12 PM   
seven28uk

Why is Beasts of the Southern Wild not included in this category?
Of the list I've only seen Skyfall and Life of Pi and while those are both great scores (Skyfall beats Life of Pi in my opinion) neither are better than Beasts.
I downloaded it as soon as I saw the film and it instantly brings back the feelings while watching it. I can only think it must not have been eligible.

For me the best score of the year by far.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 110
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI