Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 27/2/2013 12:21:28 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

American Beauty's not bad. Lovely music.
Godfather. No.
Gladiator. Yes
Two Towers. Too low!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 151
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 7/11/2013 3:29:36 PM   
Beetlejuice!

15. L.A. Confidential (1997)

Easily one of the finest ensemble casts brough together in the past 20 years, Curtis Hansons labyrinthe tale of gritty crime in '50s Hollywood works on numerous levels. There's romance, mystery, period detail, dark humour and it all sits very comfortably in one of the finest throwbacks to film noir. The cast is outstanding, whilst Oscar winner Kim Basinger does her best work all the men in the film equally deserved a nomination.

14. Spirited Away (2001)

A wonderful other-worldy animated masterpiece. Miyazaki takes us on one hell of a journey as a young girl finds herself transported into a strange land, very much in the style of Alice in Wonderland. The animation is exquisite as always and there is a vast range of strange, charming characters throughout. One of the best things about Miyazaki's works is that whilst they are often action packed as the films can be, he's just as comfortable taking a breather and allowing the world he has created to just exist. Such as in that train journey, which just so happens to be one of my favourite scenes of all time.

13. The Dark Knight (2008)

First of all, there's that performance. Ledger is completely unforgettable in the role of the Joker and is now a complete icon of modern cinema. The dark spiky humour to his performance ("Six?") is perfectly suited to the role and I doubt we'll ever get an incarnation of the character in any form to beat this. The rest of the cast are all outstanding as well of course and Nolan made a wise choice in placing the film in a dark reality to proceedings. The action sequences are as perfectly done as the drama.

12. Brazil (1985)

Terry Gilliam's bonkers nightmare vision of a not too distant future is a complete riot. The set designs are engulfed with overflowing government offices, tubes, hallways as society is squashed into procedure after procedure of a dictactic government. Jonathan Pryce gives a brilliantly flinchy performance as the office worker who dreams of a life in the sky and falls for a possible terrorist (a rather underwhelming Kim Greist, the films sole flaw). Amongst all this we have darkly funny support from the likes of Robert De Niro, Bob Hoskins, Ian Holm, Jim Broadbent and Michael Palin. And that ending is one of the best.

11. Batman Begins (2005)

I'm placing this just slightly higher than the sequel because I love the whole origin story that Nolan creates with this film. Whilst the sequels became more populated, the real main character here is Batman, and until this point we never really had a 'Batman' film. If you catch my drift. So the casting was essential and boy they got it right in Christian Bale's enigmatic take on the character. I even love the gruff voice. Nolan's fantastic, dark take on the comic book is probably the finest comic book movie ever made.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 152
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 7/11/2013 3:30:12 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Cheers Gimli for the reminder of this thread. I will get it completed

Post #: 153
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 8/11/2013 4:49:01 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

With Spirited Away so high, I'm kinda sorry I reminded you

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 154
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 17/11/2013 11:16:35 PM   
Beetlejuice!

10. My Neighbour Totoro (1988)

It's odd to think there was a time when Miyazaki wasn't as massive as he is now. Totoro came along after the success of the two fantastical settings in Castle in the Sky and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. The director decided to slow down the action and work on a more intimate fantasy tale.

It wasn't a massive hit on release but like so many of the best '80s movies, it picked up a bit of a cult following and is now rightlfully classed as one of the greatest films of the decade. Or maybe that's swaying a bit to my point of view but it's definitely held up high in the Miyazaki cannon.

The film is the story of two adorable little girls who move into a rickety big house in the country with their father and eagerly await their mother returning from hospital. Whilst out and exploring the beautiful scenery and woods, the girls discover that they have some odd neighbours in a number of friendly sprites, including the big, cuddly Totoro.

Its an enchanting little tale that gives as much running time to the quiet moments such as the gardening, cooking and waiting for a bus as much as the exciting adventures with the fantastical creatures. In all its too show that a child finds wonder in all things, no matter how mundane an adult may find the task and they see things with a fresh sense of wonder. 

There's an underlying sense of sadness to the film as well as the outcome of the girls' mother staying in the hospital is always put into question and the girls fear of what might happen is handled with the utmost conviction.

I'd be as bold to say its Miyazaki's finest achievement, with beautiful animation, loveable characters and a true sense of family fun. Its a magical film and I can watch it anytime, anywhere.

Post #: 155
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 18/11/2013 12:58:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Much more better!

Post #: 156
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 19/11/2013 11:03:37 AM   
AxlReznor

Well, so far 15 to 10 I have no arguments with at all. I like them all, and love most of them.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 157
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 20/11/2013 8:56:15 PM   
Beetlejuice!

9. Kill Bill Vol. 2 (2004)

And so Beatrix Kiddo, aka The Bride, aka Black Mamba (the ever watchable Uma Thurman) returns for Tarantino's second instalment of the instant cult classic.

As expectations were so high after the rousing first instalment, yes, some people were disappointed by the change of pace for the second half of the story. However, for me, the film highlights Tarantino's ability to chuck together brilliant characters and dialogue and create a bizarre but believable little yarn.

With two of her enemies out of the way, the Bride works her way through the list, with Bill accompanied by his brother, Budd and sometime lover Elle. We also discover more of the backstory of Beatrix, including a demanding training regime with a kung fu master.

Whilst the first film was action packed, the second relies more on the dialogue, and its as delightfully awesome as always from Tarantino (I'm a total fanboy geek sorry!). The cast are excellent, Thurman has never been better, neither has David Carradine as the grudge holding Bill. Michael Madsen gets to give more backstory to his character than he ever seems to give with a brilliant performance that makes you feel sorry for his character yet still hate him. The standout scene however belongs to the scene chewing Daryl Hannah as she pops along for a fight with The Bride in the world's smallest trailer.

As always soundtrack is awesome!

Post #: 158
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 20/11/2013 10:48:40 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Totoro Although I did see a Totoro hoodie yesterday that I was tempted to buy.

Kill Bill 2, as with most Tarintino, not bad but I have no great desire to see it anytime soon.

Much more better!

Post #: 159
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 20/11/2013 11:50:56 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Totoro

LA Confidential is superb
I have a lot of love for The Dark Knight
I don't have a lot of love for Brazil however
Batman Begins is good
Totoro is glorious.
Kill Bill Vol 2 is good, but Vol 1 is brilliant. One of the first films I got really excited for in general that wasn't Harry Potter or a superhero film (I'm a young'in)

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 160
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 21/11/2013 9:22:37 AM   
AxlReznor

I was extremely disappointed by Kill Bill Vol. 2. Found it to be extremely boring... especially the final confrontation between Bill and the Bride, which should have been a piece of martial arts perfection, but was actually a conversation about Superman. One of only two Tarantino films I don't rate.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 161
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 21/11/2013 7:50:50 PM   
Beetlejuice!

8. Beetlejuice (1988)

Of course, had to turn up at some point and here it sits. My favourite film from childhood!

Tim Burton set a high standard with his second directorial effort, an off-the-wall good natured and fun ghostly comedy about a mischievous spirit that causes trouble for the recently deceased. Michael Keaton is brilliant, despite the limited screen time, chewing the scenery with one of the most fun movie creations of all time.

The rest of the cast are equally enjoyable with Winona Ryder making her mark as a goth teen and the hilarious Catherine O'Hara as her highly neurotic step mother.

I think its one of those films that just everyone enjoys on some level, there's little not to like. Burton creates a wacky live cartoon feel to proceedings that more than makes up for the sometimes slightly shaky special effects. The visuals are brilliant though, the characters loveable and Danny Elfman's score is one of the best scores of all time. Hence why its been overused so many times in trailers and such since.

I'm not too sure what I think of the possibility of the upcoming sequel. So long as it doesn't ruin the freshness of the original that still is a fast paced enjoyable ride that I have to watch at least once a year.

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 21/11/2013 7:51:07 PM >

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 162
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 22/11/2013 5:53:14 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Only seen Beetlejuice once. I need to see it again, The soundtrack is wonderful.

Much more better!

Post #: 163
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 22/11/2013 7:42:11 AM   
MovieAddict247

Beetlejuice is all kinds of wonderful - great (though given your name, unsurprising!), to see it so high!

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

Post #: 164
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 24/11/2013 11:29:48 AM   
Beetlejuice!

7. The Matrix (1999)

I think everybody pretty much enjoyed Bound. On one level or another, it was a classy, glossy harkback to film noir with a lesbian twist. So the Wachowski's were one's to watch, but I doubt anyone expected this groundbreaking, game changer of a movie.

A conspiracy thriller come sci-fi parable with a pinch of kung fu. Add to that some manga influences and some very complex philosophy and semiotics (the films a lot cleverer than you may initially realise) and we get the film that rightfully blew people away on that first watch. I still remember seeing this for a first time with a mate when I was 17 and we just talked about it endlessly all night.

Reeves, has never been a great actor but he does well in this, as the fish out of water Neo who gets thrown into this new "real world". He is found by the mysterious Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne on top form) and is soon finding out the truth about his world whilst being chased by the deranged Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving stealing every scene he appears in).

Once the action kicks in, its bloody amazing and still looks pretty good today. The last 40 minutes or so are the epitome of sci-fi action and keep you on the edge of your seat, even on multiple repeats. The quality of the franchise sadly diminised with the sequels (though they aren't as bad as were initially made out). The original film though still remains an iconic masterpiece.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 165
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 29/11/2013 8:34:10 AM   
AxlReznor

Love The Matrix (and Beetlejuice for that matter).

Post #: 166
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 4/12/2013 1:53:02 PM   
Beetlejuice!

6. Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003)

Tarantino's ode to girl power! The Bride (Uma Thurman) seeks revenge on those who wronged her, beginning with two mighty female members on the death list.

Whilst the battle between Vernita Green goes to plan, kicking the film off in awesome fashion. The second target is now a very hard to reach crime boss with Lucy Liu's cool as a cucumber O-Ren Ishii. The fellas really don't get a look in with this film, and even Bill's face isn't revealed.

Thurman is brilliant, just as good at the high energy fight sequences as she is spurting cool lines of dialogue and still giving times to show some real humanity, such as that wake up from the coma.

Tarantino was getting sick of all the CGI violence that came, probably as a result of my last entry (The Matrix) and decided to hark back to old school samurai films and also the hyper-real violence of filmmakers like Takeshi Miike. It's OTT but in a tremendously enjoyable way. It's pure cinema! Tarantino never shy's away from his influences and even uses snippets of soundtracks from old cult movies.

I think it's great that Tarantino decided to cut the film in two, as the pace of the second is very different even though the tone isn't. I don't think the films would have worked together as a singular three hour film. And seeing this piece of pulp fiction in instalments feels very adequate.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 167
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI