Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 9/2/2013 10:08:27 AM   
Beetlejuice!

80. Leon (1994)

Luc Besson's stylish crime drama follows a hitman and an orphan as they try to avoid an insane police detective. The action sequences in this film are outstanding and Natalie Portman and Jean Reno have excellent chemistry.

79. Schindler's List (1993)

Spielberg's grand sweeping epic following one man finding his humanity within the Nazi party. Its emotionally devastating and shot in beautiful black and white. Cinematography, script, direction, performances and score are all classy and perfect.

78. Grindhouse (2007)

A perfect film to watch with a few mates and beers on a Saturday night. Tarantino and Rodriguez throwback to '70s exploitation grindhouse movies is hardly the best work from either but it's still loads of fun and both films work better in their cut-down versions and as a double bill here.

77. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

Fincher's long, moody and lyrical drama is an oddly hypnotizing film. Beautifully shot and performed by Pitt and Blanchett. Its an unusual romantic movie and pretty much a one of a kind.

76. Into the Wild (2007)

A heartbreaking tale of a young man's rash decision to live out in the wild. Sean Penn's is at times quirky and fun but gives free range to the emotional moments. An excellent bunch of actors show up in small roles and Emile Hirsch is excellent in the lead. The film also contains some beautiful shots of the American landscape that the character was so obsessed with.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 121
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 9/2/2013 11:26:47 AM   
Beetlejuice!

75. (500) Days of Summer (2009)

Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are at their most quirky and likeable in this snappy little romantic comedy. Has a nice switching of time spans and the film avoids a lot of the genre pratfalls. The two leads have great chemistry together.

74. Inglorious Basterds (2009)

Pure, unadulterated entertainment escapism from Tarantino. Daft, intense, funny and emotionally draining, the film has it all with some knockout performances to boot and the director doing it all with his usual flair. Excellent.

73. A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Quite an amazing piece of work from Kubrick, its a brilliant adaptation of the difficult novel. Kubrick's vision of the future is weird, colourful and disturbing. Malcolm McDowell is outstanding as the lead Droog, Alex. A cult favourite and rightly so.

72. Crash (2005)

A gutsy little film that tackles the ignorance and racist views of a group of L.A. characters acted with full-on emotion from an unusual cast. Haggis directs the whole thing with a classy, moody atmosphere and when the stories connect it's devastating.

71. Metropolis (1927)

Quite an astonishing silent classic that remains as influential to this day. Stylized and experimental the film is a brilliant vision of the future and contains one of cinema's greatest female villians.

Post #: 122
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/2/2013 1:13:47 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Braveheart is ace. Always good to see others like it.
Terminator's OK.
Little Miss Sunshine surprised me by how much I liked it.
2001 is great at times.
Departed > Infernal Affairs
The Game is almost Fincher's weakest film.
Run Lola Run is great.
Love Adaptation
Wall-e is fantastic in every way imaginable.
28 Days Later is Boyle's best film. Best non-zombie zombie film too.
Pan's Labyrinth is good, but I still think it;s stupid they give the end away at the start.
Sin City. Can't wait for the sequel!
Prestige, Gran Torino, Short Cuts, Heat, The Wrestler, Boogie Nights all good but lesser films from their respective directors.
Raising Arizona is top 5 Coen brothers.
Mean Streets is possibly my least favourite Scorcese.
Sweeney Todd is bloody brilliant. So happy so this this so high.
Leon's very good.
Schindler's List is in my top 5.
Not seen Grindhouse as it was intended but if featured two reasonable films.
Ben Button has Cate Blanchett so of course I like it.
Into The Wild is good but I can't get past how much if a dick the lead character is.
500 Days Of Summer is sweet
Inglourioius Basterds might be QTs best
Clockwork Orange is good
Crash is great
Metropolis sucks.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 123
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 13/2/2013 7:36:46 PM   
ElephantBoy

Leon I remember liking but it has been ages since I have seen it.
(500) Days of Summer is one of my favourite Romantic comedies recently.
Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece.
Crash I like too.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 13/2/2013 7:37:18 PM >

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 124
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 13/2/2013 11:55:28 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Leon- I love this film quite a lot.

Schindler's List - It's been awhile but I remember liking it.

Grindhouse - Planet Terror is good, Death Proof is alright

Ben Button - Mehh.

Into The Wild - Quite good.

(500) Days Of Summer - I adore this film. JGL is fantastic.

IB - A lot of fun, Waltz is superb (even if he is a monster)

A Clockwork Orange - Brilliant

Crash - It's been years since I've seen it but I remember liking it.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 125
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 14/2/2013 5:34:35 PM   
Beetlejuice!

70. Dark City (1998)

This creepy sci-fi thriller got kind of lost amongst all the Matrix fanfare, but thankfully it has picked up a bit of a cult following. It mixes in film noir into its sci-fi elements with outstanding production design.

69. The Science of Sleep (2006)

A whimsical, romantic movie from Michel Gondry who pulls out all the tricks to tell the tale of an unlucky in love dreamer, played with adorably boyish charm by Gael Garcia Bernal. Its extremely quirky so will lose some fans on that front but anyone who enjoys the offbeat should check it out.

68. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

A hugely charming, energetic feel-good movie from Danny Boyle. Fast moving and exciting, its a great underdog tale and the directors work is as stylish as ever.

67. Amores Perros (2000)

More Gael Garcia Bernal hotness in this exhilarating drama that tells the tale of three different stories that collide brutally together. Its a gritty, urban drama and is extremely intense and well performed.

66. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

Big, explosive Hollywood filmmaking at its finest as James Cameron returns to the sci-fi film that kick started his and Arnie's career. Some of the set-pieces and special effects in this film are truly outstanding and the film itself has a nice line of social commentary on the act of violence, whilst still being pure popcorn fodder. Linda Hamilton does very well in a now Ripley-esque performance.

Post #: 126
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 14/2/2013 5:46:47 PM   
Beetlejuice!

65. Jackie Brown (1997)

Tarantino knocked it down a gear for this stimulating crime drama, an exceptionally good cast bring the film to life and the director takes his time whilst still soaking the whole thing in an effortless coolness.

64. Taxi Driver (1976)

A melding of minds from Scorsese, De Niro and Paul Schrader in this dark, creepy psychological drama. Astonishing work from all involved, including that wonderful final score from Bernard Herrmann.

63. The Big Lebowski (1998)

The weird and wonderful world of the Coen brothers is at its most hilarious in this deceptively complex mystery with an outstanding and downright pant-wettingly funny cast. Each character, no matter how small, gets a laugh thanks to some of the Coens most memorable dialogue and quirky performances.

62. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

One of Miyazaki's more laid back films is more concerned with character and setting rather than plot. Its a cute little tale of a young witch starting out her career and making friends in a new town. The animation as always is wonderful and the character interaction and detail on a higher level than most kids animated films would allow.

61. There Will Be Blood (2007)

Paul Thomas Anderson takes a turn for the epic filiming scope here in grand fashion. A film reeking in a desolate, dark atmosphere with Daniel Day-Lewis performance the sleeping dragon that haunts throughout until that explosively mad conclusion.

Post #: 127
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 15/2/2013 12:42:23 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Science Of Sleep - Charming
Slumdog Millionare - I like it, I don't LOVE it.
T2 - This however I love.
Jackie Brown - Superb, Grier especially is amazing.
Taxi Driver - One of the greatest films ever made.
The Big Lebowski - Brilliant, so much quotable dialogue
There Will Be Blood- *hides and whispers meh and waits for angry people with pitchforks* In truth, there are some parts I like but it left me cold overall.

Post #: 128
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 15/2/2013 5:38:28 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Dark City, Science of Sleep, Slumdog, T2 and Lebowski are all enjoyable.

Amores Perros, Jackie Brown, Taxi Driver and especially There Will Be Blood are great.

Kiki's Delivery Service is awful.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 129
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 15/2/2013 11:26:06 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Dark City, Science of Sleep, Slumdog, T2 and Lebowski are all enjoyable.

Amores Perros, Jackie Brown, Taxi Driver and especially There Will Be Blood are great.

You need professional help

Dark City 8/10 - A beautiful creation, great storytelling, cast and brooding atmosphere.

The Science of Sleep 6.5/10 - Has some inventive ideas, and two good leads, but lacks an emotionally heart.

Slumdog Millionsire 6/10 - Pretty averge overall given the hype.

Amores Perros 9/10 - Gripping, visually stunning, with wonderfully characters and great story.

Terminator 7/10 - Still think it is a little over long and certain subplots don't work.

Jackie Brown 9/10 - QT's only masterpiece to date.

Taxi Driver 10/10 - As said it is one of the greatest ever films.

The Big Lebowski 10/10 - Endless entertainment.

Kiki's Delivery Service 9/10 - Delightful.

There Will Be Blood 8/10 - Still leaves me cold in places, but theres enough good stuff in there to make it a worthy audtion to PTA's impressive back catalouge.

Post #: 130
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/2/2013 12:52:55 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Gimli your feedback is usually spot-on until the last sentence....

e.g.

Metropolis sucks.

tut tut tut

Post #: 131
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/2/2013 1:52:51 PM   
Beetlejuice!

60. Toy Story 3 (2010)

Growing up in style, the wonderful world of the toys comes to a suitable conclusion in Pixar's marvelous trilogy. There's more humanity in these little plastic characters than in most Hollywood movies. The one scene where the toys think its coming to an end is absolutely devastating, how did they get away with that in kids films??

59. The Usual Suspects (1995)

More than just that film with the clever twist. Bryan Singer expertly cross-cuts the narrative in a complex, classy crime thriller with a fine ensemble cast with Spacey sneakily deserving that Oscar win.

58. Memento (2000)

Similar to the above film, this one chops and changes all over the place and smartly uses the voice-over to trick the viewers. Guy Pearce and Carrie-Anne Moss on fine form and the film is an extremely stylish puzzle. The DVD feature to watch the film in chronological order is an interesting feature.

57. Out of the Past (1947)

A moody, gloomy film noir. Very classy performances and direction and some of the snappiest movie dialogue of all time. "You know, a dame with a rod is like a guy with a knitting needle."

56. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Miyazaki's first ecological epic is a grand, fascinating fantasy reminiscent of some of Tolkien's creations. Great characters, story and nicely designed fantastical creatures.

Post #: 132
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/2/2013 2:03:20 PM   
Beetlejuice!

55. Toy Story (1995)

The one that kick started it all. Still absolutely delightful and charming, the animation has moved on since but the characters and story remain the mainstay of one of Pixar's finest movies. The voice cast is possibly the best of any animated film ever.

54. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

I was obsessed with this film when it first came out. A haunting, dreamlike romantic action packed epic. Beautifully filmed by Ang Lee and stunning fight choreography and performances from a quality cast.

53. Goodfellas (1990)

Scorsese's look into mob life is lots of fun, good humoured yet dangerous and violent. The camera work is sublime as is the performances including some career bests by the likes of Joe Pesci and an undervalued De Niro (in this film).

52. Ratatouille (2007)

I think this might remain some of Pixar's finest animation with some beautifully realised recreations of the Paris landscapes. A delightfully funny and charming fish out of water tale. Peter O'Toole's intimidating, snooty restaurant critic is one of the studios best supporting characters of the studio.

51. Children of Men (2006)

Alfonso Cuaron throws you directly into the action with this impressively filmed vision of the near future. The whole leaves you feeling a little shell-shocked as it is endlessly unpredictable and edge-of-the seat exciting.

Post #: 133
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/2/2013 6:10:24 PM   
ElephantBoy

Toy Story 3 9/10 - Maybe the second best in a remarkable triolgy.

The Usual Suspects 9/10 - Stunning debut.

Memento 9/10 - Gripping, tightly written piece, with very good performances all round.

Out of the Past 8/10 - Stylish film noir, with some morally complex characters too.

Toy Story 8/10 - Been awhile since I have seen the first one.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 8/10 - Beautiful and entertaining cinema.

Children of Men 9/10 - Very touching film.

Post #: 134
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/2/2013 9:48:54 PM   
Beetlejuice!

50. Breathless (1960)

Cool as a cucumber, this sprightly New Wave classic remains a quirky, technically dazzling little film.

49. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

The UK's answer to the Tarantino-esque crime films that plagued the '90s is an endlessly rewatchable cult classic. Funny and super stylish.

48. Oldboy (2003)

An original, daring and resolutely bleak little thriller that remains one of a kind.

47. Big Fish (2003)

One of Tim Burton's most unashamedly sentimental films that is still laced with plenty of fantasy and the director's themes. Albert Finney and Ewan McGregor give fine turns as the lead role.

46. Monsters, Inc. (2001)

Pixar's clever, feel good film is just pure fun as it takes us to the world where the monsters in our closets live. Fantastic character and vocal work as always, with Steve Buscemi's slippery character one of the studios best villians.

Post #: 135
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 17/2/2013 2:05:57 AM   
ElephantBoy

Old Boy is great if a bit uneven in places.
Big Fish is mid-range Burton but I enjoyed it more than others.
Monster Inc I need to watch again, but I like the idea behind it.

Post #: 136
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 17/2/2013 2:16:04 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Toy Story 3 is amazing. So good I now feel ashamed when I remember I was worried about it before its release.

The Usual Suspects was never a favourite but I appreciate why others like it. Ditto with Memento, Oldboy and Goodfellas.

Out of The Past is worth it for Mitchum.

Toy Story is one of the best things in the universe.
Crouching Tiger is brilliant, as are Ratatouille, Big Fish and Children of Men
I quite like Lock, Stock...

Monsters Inc is in my top 5 of all time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

You mean like...

Nausicaa is really bad. Breathless was number 284 out of 285 in my list last year. I hate it so, so much.

Sorry!

Much more better!

Post #: 137
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 17/2/2013 2:20:38 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Toy Story 3 is amazing. So good I now feel ashamed when I remember I was worried about it before its release.

The Usual Suspects was never a favourite but I appreciate why others like it. Ditto with Memento, Oldboy and Goodfellas.

Out of The Past is worth it for Mitchum.

Toy Story is one of the best things in the universe.
Crouching Tiger is brilliant, as are Ratatouille, Big Fish and Children of Men
I quite like Lock, Stock...

Monsters Inc is in my top 5 of all time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

You mean like...

Nausicaa is really bad. Breathless was number 284 out of 285 in my list last year. I hate it so, so much.

Sorry!

I've never seen Breathless but TBF if it is 284 on your favourite films list then you can't hate it that much Unless of course it was a worse films list.

Post #: 138
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 17/2/2013 2:21:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

It was a list of all the films I saw last year. The bottom few were all 1* wastes of my time

Much more better!

Post #: 139
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 17/2/2013 1:06:06 PM   
Beetlejuice!

45. V for Vendetta (2005)

Excellent comic book adaptation that moves along at a swift pace, its nice to see such a bug budget blockbuster with at least some sort of message. Portman and Hugo Weaving do some excellent work, the latter especially impressive considering he's wearing a mask throughout.

44. Amelie (2001)

As adorable as the lead character, Jean Pierre-Jeunet's wild and creative romantic fantasy is still one of the most feel good films ever made. Lovely score as well.

43. Trainspotting (1996)

Scotland's finest film remains Danny Boyle's masterpiece. An explosive adaptation of an 'unfilmable novel'. McGregor is brilliant in the lead and the film is funny and horrifying in equal measures and extremely stylish.

42. Snatch (2000)

If it ain't broke, why fix it. Guy Ritchie's follow up sticks much to the same style with snappy dialogue, twisty storyline, funky music and super fast cuts and editing. Some quirky casting choices add to the style of the film with Brad Pitt a particular standout.

41. Life is Beautiful (1997)

It's sentimental overload but its a heartbreaking tragicomic tale of one man trying to hide the horrors of the concentration camp from his cute as a button son. A bittersweet tale that always gets the tears rolling.

Post #: 140
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 17/2/2013 3:30:22 PM   
Beetlejuice!

40. Raging Bull (1980)

Another amazing collaboration between De Niro and Scorsese in this brutal, gritty no-holds-barred biography of a very troubled boxer. De Niro deservedly picked up the Oscar for an astonishing performance, but where was the directors win?

39. Requiem for a Dream (2000)

A disturbing yet visually hypnotic and captivating account of how drugs can seriously mess up your mind. It's a hyperkinetically shot adrenaline rush by Darren Aronofsky, the cast are spectacular, especially Ellen Burstyn and the last half hour of the film is some of the most disturbing moments of any movie in history.

38. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

A sincere, uplifting film that highlights the importance of friendship. Pretty much everyone loves it on one level or another, be it in their top 10 or just admire it from afar, meanwhile it still sits top spot on IMDb. For me it's my 38th favourite film :)

37. Fight Club (1999)

And on to Fincher's masterpiece, a cheeky, brutal little black comedy. Impressively directed and brilliant performances from the cast, including Helena Bonham Carter's first foray into the darker side.

36. The Godfather Part II (1974)

It's not the greatest sequel of all time (I've still got 5 sequels coming up) but it certainly the one that has laid the ground rules on not only continuing the story but making you appreciate the original by adding new levels of depth. This may however be, the greatest acted film ever made.

Post #: 141
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 17/2/2013 6:41:28 PM   
Beetlejuice!

35. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

The spectacularly satisfying ending to cinema's finest trilogy comes with this exciting, emotionally involving fantasy epic. Peter Jackson as with the previous film deftly handles the multiple storylines with one fantastic scene after another. Production design and special effects are fantastic as are the cast who give the film its heart.

34. Million Dollar Baby (2004)

More than just a rise to success sports drama this comes with a heavy devastating emotional beat as well. Eastwood, Swank and Freeman all on fine form as troubled characters given one last shot.

33. The Killing (1956)

Kubrick's early film noir remains one of the most intense heist movies ever. Flawless work from the director and some spot-on characterisations, in particular Elisha Cook and Marie Windsor as the put-upon crook and his femme fatale wife.

32. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

My favourite romantic movie! Carrey and Winslet are perfect together in roles that seem almost suited for the other. Gondry's delightfully quirky, absurd and bittersweet tale is a beautifully done piece of work. Endlessly rewatchable and that scene in the house as it falls apart is devastating.

31. Inception (2010)

Like a more action thriller version of the film above again this film plays with the notions of dreams and memories in a complex plot that allows room for some brilliant action sequences. The cast are all on fine form, with DiCaprio's lead particularly intense. Nolan's direction meanwhile is impeccable.

Post #: 142
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 18/2/2013 6:32:36 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I like Vendetta a lot.
Amelie is sublime.
Not seen Trainspotting for years. It has its moments.
Snatch is very good.
Can't remember much about Life Is Beautiful
Raging Bull is great
As is Requiem For A Dream, but I like it mainly for the music.
Shawshank is in my top 5.
Really don't like Fight Club at all.
Or The Godfather II
ROTK should be higher!!!!
Million Dollar Baby is great.
The Killing's pretty good.
Eternal Sunshine. Not my cup of tea.
Inception is a lot of fun.

Much more better!

Post #: 143
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 18/2/2013 9:35:53 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ROTK should be higher!!!!

Saw that one coming

Post #: 144
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 18/2/2013 10:53:17 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Toy Story 3 - Brilliant.
The Usual Suspects - On first watch it was great, rewatch? Not so much.
Memento - Terrific film, Guy Pearce is one of our national treasures
Nausiccaa - Lovely
Toy Story - One of my favourite films of all time.
Goodfellas - See above
Children of Men - Quite good.
Breathless - Great film but it would just make my Top 3 Godard.
Lock Stock - I don't like it as much as I did when I was 15 but still good.
Oldboy - Superb.
Monsters Inc. - Pixar = Quality.

quote:

V for Vendetta - The best film the Wachowskis have been involved in.
Amelie - Lovely.
Trainspotting - Excellent film, I recently finished the book and quite enjoyed that too.
Snatch - Unlike Lock Stock, this holds up well on rewatches even now I'm older.
Life is Beautiful - I like it but the amount of acclaim it gets is bewildering at times.
Raging Bull - Amazing film. De Niro is incredible.
Requiem - See above but replace De Niro with Burstyn
Shawshank Redemption - I also quite like it even though that can be an unpopular opinion.
Fight Club - Probably in my Top 25 of all time. It used to be Top 5 back when I was a bit of a Fincher fanboy.
Godfather Part II - Immensely better then the first film. Absolutely superb in general.
ROTK - Needs a rewatch
Million Dollar Baby - It's alright.
The Killing - Great
Eternal Sunshine - Definitely in my Top 20 of all time, I love this film to pieces.
Inception - Great fun and one of my favourite cinema experiences over the last few years.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 18/2/2013 10:54:52 PM >

Post #: 145
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 19/2/2013 2:04:12 PM   
Beetlejuice!

30. Blade Runner (1982)

Ridley Scott's bleak, chilling vision of the future is the quintessential neo-noir. Amazing production design and hypnotic storyline.

29. City of God (2002)

A visually outstanding piece of crime drama that follows the lives of a group of young people living in the crime filled ghettos of '80s Rio de Janiero. Hyperkinetic filmmaking at its most stylish despite the very grim, brutal storyline and some wonderful cinematography.

28. Chinatown (1974)

One of the finest films in the detective genre. Jack Nicholson is nothing short of spectacular as the ex-cop with a sly sense of humour who gets himself in some deep water within a very complex plot. Polanski's finest achievement.

27. No Country for Old Men (2007)

The Coen brothers extremely intense thriller creates an immense amount of tension, despite the lack of score. Quite an original choice for the genre, but you can never accuse the brothers to ever be anything less than original. Has some of their usual quirks here and there but it's a thriller at heart and one of the best. Bardem's character is brilliant.

26. Toy Story 2 (1999)

Pixar's first sequel is one of its finest films and a tough one to beat. Continuing the story of the loveable cast of toys who struggle through their dangerous lives. There's loads of heart here, and its as endlessly thrilling and exciting on many repeat viewings. Was my favourite Pixar for a long time and I still hold a candle for it.

Post #: 146
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 19/2/2013 2:16:05 PM   
Beetlejuice!

25. Shrek (2001)

Hugely entertaining and extremely funny, this is a neat postmodern twist on fairytale stories. The sequels gradually got to mixed up in their own pop culture references but the original is still a great family film with some brilliant characters, especially Eddie Murphy's Donkey.

24. Up (2009)

And here's to my favourite Pixar film! I remember seeing the trailer for this and feeling underwhelmed. Boy, was I wrong. A quirky little tale of one old man's adventure, it contains some of the saddest scenes ever put to film in that opening montage but from then on in its a rollicking boys own adventure. Simply brilliant!

23. Magnolia (1999)

Paul Thomas Anderson's multi-character masterpiece is an astonishing mosaic of various lives who are interconnected in some way. Anderson's directing is captivating as always and the cast give uniformly excellent performances with Julianne Moore and Tom Cruise particularly standing out.

22. Fargo (1996)

The Coens offbeat thriller is endlessly rewatchable thanks to some fine character work, Carter Burwell's fantastic score and a crazy story that is so odd it must be true. Except its not, the cheeky monkeys! Anyways, Frances McDormand's pregnant police officer Marge Gunderson, remains one of the best characters of the past 25 years.

21. Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Tim Burton's touching, surreal coming-of-age film is a bittersweet, funny and beautiful film. Depp is amazing in the lead role, Burton has fun satirizing smalltown Americana and Danny Elfman provides perhaps his finest score.

Post #: 147
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 26/2/2013 8:23:15 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not a fan of Blade runner at all. Which makes me wonder why I have the 5 disc DVD set
City Of God is great
Chinatown is awful
No Country is very good, but not in my Coen top 5.
Toy Story 2 is almost Pixar's weakest film but still wonderful.
Shrek, Used to love it. Not so much now but it's still enjoyable
Up is amazing
As is Magnolia
And Fargo
And Edward Scissorhands

Much more better!

Post #: 148
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 26/2/2013 3:47:57 PM   
Beetlejuice!

20. Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

Hayao Miyazaki's magical tale requires a lot of attention to keep up with the wild story as it uses shape shifting and travelling through time and places to create this wildly imaginative and creative adventure movie. As with all of the director's work, it looks simply stunning, with some outstanding animation adding to the beautiful creation of a fantastical reality where anything can happen. Whilst the film is an adaptation, it is still pure Miyazaki with some interesting fully rounded characters and a sweet tale of a young girl being caught up in events outwith her control.

19. American Beauty (1999)

Sam Mendes' lavishly framed look into suburban Americana provides meaty roles for Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening as patriarchal heads of a family that is violently falling apart at the seams. The script is a humorous and blackly comic satire but still contains some lovely bittersweet moments. Cinematography is stunning as is that wonderful score. A well deserving big Oscar winner.

18. The Godfather (1972)

Francis Ford Coppola certainly set a new level of filmmaking by presenting this violent crime flick that works just as well as an inricate psychological family drama. The director also pretty much cemented the Mafia as a cinematic go-to for the best of crime movies and TV, be it fictional or real life tales. Another film worthy of its awards, this is pretty much the definitive film of the movie brats of the '70s with truly outstanding performances by an exceptional cast, including an early scorcher of a performance from Al Pacino.

17. Gladiator (2000)

Ridley Scott harks us back to the big scale epics of old in this riveting, masculine tale of a Roman army soldier who is wronged by a cruel, manipulative leader. The action sequences are stunning and exciting, and Scott expertly handles the massive crowd sequences as well. The film looks amazing and is a brilliant depiction of the times and places. Crowe gives an amazing performance and grounds the whole spectacle with a heart.

16. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Peter Jackson jumps us straight back into the action after the previous film set-up this richly conceived version of Middle Earth. Action packed and gradually getting darker and more distraught in tone the film ably handles the various storylines thanks to Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens perfect adaptation. Whilst they have taken more liberties with the story it certainly works in the films favour here. The cast are just as exceptionally good as before and are joined with some terrific characterisations from amongst others, Bernard Hill as the stout yet guilt ridden King Theoden, Brad Dourif as the sly, slippery Grima Wormtongue and the amazing creation that is Gollum thanks to outstanding CGI work and Andy Serkis perfect performance. The film jumps from one stunning sequence to the next, and is a brilliant centre piece to the trilogy.

Post #: 149
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 27/2/2013 12:00:58 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Blade Runner - Great
City of God - Superb
Chinatown - Superb
No Country For Old Men - One of my favourite films of the last 20 years.
Toy Story 2 - It's Toy Story. Therefore it's awesome.
Shrek - DONKEY. The only Shrek film I like.
Up! - Brilliant.
Magnolia - See above.
Fargo - See above.
Edward Scissorhands - See above.
Howl's Moving Castle - See above.
American Beauty - I don't like it as much as I did when I was 15 but it's still good in my eyes. Kevin Spacey ftw.
The Godfather - Great but 2 > 1
Gladiator - Some of the shots in this I love. Good film as well even though I know some hate it.
LOTR: Two Towers - Fellowship > TT, still a great film of course.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI