Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 23/1/2013 5:51:44 PM   
Beetlejuice!

145. Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)

A mature, richly developed adult drama from Woody Allen. Script, performances and the use of classical music as always was extremely well done but this is definitely the great director's finest moment.

144. Aladdin (1992)

Brilliant character design, animation, characters, songs and voice work (stand up Robin Williams) in one of Disney's finest 2D animations. Superb!

143. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Falls ever so slightly short of the previous two films but it's still a completely compelling comic-book adventure. Things get very bleak here and its to the directors favour that there is no sign of hope as to how the heroes will come out on top. Anne Hathaway is a sassy Catwoman and a great choice.

142. The Skin I Live In (2011)

Pedro Almodovar's completely off-the-wall Gothic melodrama thriller as always with his films goes off in unexpected ways. The story is a bit crazy but it's perfectly performed. Antonio Banderas is the best he has been in an age.

141. The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

The one that set the bar in terms of crime caper film noirs. Great cast with an early glimpse of a radiant Marilyn Monroe. That ending is still fantastic and Sam Jaffe's Doc is a brilliant character.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 91
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 23/1/2013 5:54:36 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not seen The City of Lost Children but I love Jeunet's other films.
Darko's a bit meh.
Hanna was good apart from that atrocious kid she befriends.
Skyfall's ace.
JFK's more ace.
Truman's even more ace.
Blood Simple is very far down my list of Coen films.
Black Swan's great.
Potter is always good.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 92
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 24/1/2013 8:08:09 PM   
ElephantBoy

Donnie Darko 9/10 - A true cult masterpiece

Hanna 7.5/10 - Good fun

Love and Death 7.5/10 - Not Woody's best but very witty anyway

The Truman Show 9/10 - A darkly comic and scary gem, with one of Carry's finest performances, the likes of Ed Harris and Laura Linney are even better

Blood Simple 9/10 - A simple idea brilliantly crafted into a chilling and disturbing thriller

Black Swan 9/10 - A true orignal, Portman was well worth her oscar

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 8/10 - The early Potter film with real character depth and wonderful effects which made the world of magic feel real

Hannah and Her Sisters 9/10 - One of Allen's very best

The Dark Knight Rises 7/10 - The weakest of the troilgy by some distance, it drags too much in places and Bane is a really let down, still much to enjoy, visually it is a delight and Hathaway is killer as Cat Woman.

The Skin I Live In 9/10 - Possible Almodovar's best ever film.

Your on a roll know Beetle keep it up!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 93
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 25/1/2013 1:30:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Hannah and Her Sisters is my favourite Woody Allen film.
Aladdin's great fun, but not seen it since the 90s.
Dark Knight Rises is flawed but enjoyable.
Asphalt Jungle's great.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 94
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 25/1/2013 12:52:47 PM   
AxlReznor

Aladdin is amazing. One of my favourite animations ever.
The Dark Knight Rises... far too low. Would be number 3 on my list.

Post #: 95
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 25/1/2013 3:01:08 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor
The Dark Knight Rises... far too low. Would be number 3 on my list.

I've only seen it once, so I reckon it will rise (no pun intended) over next couple of years. Got the trilogy on Blu-Ray at xmas but not had chance to watch them yet.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 96
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 25/1/2013 4:19:47 PM   
Beetlejuice!

140. Shrek 2 (2004)

Hugely enjoyable sequel to the megahit animation. More of the same but just expanded a little more as we visit Princess Fiona's family. Jokes remained superfast and animation is lovely.

139. Three Colours: Red (1993)

A philosophical, thought provoking drama once again directed with elegance by Krzyszstof Kieslowski. Use of the colour throughout the film is well done.

138. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

The instant cult classic is a hilarious and gory melding of droll British humour with splatterfest zombie movies. Pegg and Frost are a great team.

137. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

Sergio Leone brings a unique stylish touch to proceedings with his directing techniques. An outstanding, epic western. Pleased to say I recently visited the set in Almeria, Spain which is still pretty much all still there.

136. Akira (1988)

A stunning vision of the future with beautiful animation design. Remains the definitive manga movie for anyone interested in seeing what the genre contains. Confusing, exciting, and bloody brilliant.

Post #: 97
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 25/1/2013 5:47:29 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Shrek 2 was the start of a slippery slope for the franchise.
I can never remember which oif the Three Colours films I've seen. I don't think it's Red.
OUATITW is ace.
Shaun's good fun, but the only moment I laugh at is the peanut line.

Much more better!

Post #: 98
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 27/1/2013 5:09:34 PM   
Beetlejuice!

135. Machuca (2004)

A pleasingly sincere and richly written coming-of-age drama as a friendship between two boys from different classes plays against the political turmoils in '70s Chile.

134. Ponyo (2008)

Typically magical piece of fantasy cinema from the great Hayao Miyazaki, a little more aimed at youngsters but still will be enjoyed by everyone.

133. Mary and Max (2008)

A bittersweet animated tale that doesn't shy away from its often dark subject matter. One of a kind.

132. Mirror (1975)

The story gets complicated but this is a fascinating visual trip from Tarkovsky that deals with memory, history and nature in a beautifully experimental film.

131. Secrets & Lies (1996)

Mike Leigh's impeccably performed comedy drama is a contemplative and upsetting look into family life. Excellent work from everyone, especially Brenda Blethyn's wonderfully eccentric matriarch.

Post #: 99
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 27/1/2013 5:18:35 PM   
Beetlejuice!

130. Innocent Voices (2004)

A rather bleak but completely compelling study of children affected by war in 80s El Salvador. Some unforgettable moments throughout.

129. Hero (2002)

An outstanding martial arts epic that has some absolutely stunning cinematography, a wonderful score and excellent performances amongst the perfectly choreographed fight scenes. A hauntingly beautiful piece of work from Zhang Ziyi.

128. Far From Heaven (2002)

A spectacular filmmaking exercise from Todd Haynes who uses '50s style melodrama with more modern subjects as sexuality and race. The film is beautiful and a radiant Julianne Moore is simply wonderful in the lead.

127. Being John Malkovich (1999)

A total original, a completely bonkers surreal comedy that is perfectly directed by Spike Jonze and the cast are all excellent.

126. Los Olvidados (1950)

Luis Bunuel's dark drama following a bunch of troubled youths. A powerful film that contains a spectacular dream sequence.

Post #: 100
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 27/1/2013 5:36:23 PM   
Beetlejuice!

125. In Bruges (2008)

Martin McDonagh's dark humour is brought to the screen in this deliciously spiky crime comedy with great performances and scenery.

124. Gattaca (1997)

A very believable sci-fi. Icy cold, cool and well performed by Jude Law, Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. Haunting score as well from Michael Nyman.

123. Gods and Monsters (1998)

Ian McKellen is brilliant as the classic horror director James Whale, and the film is a haunting look into his last days. Spiked with some fantastical, eerie elements as Whale is haunted by flashbacks of the past. Lovely score.

122. Touch of Evil (1958)

A very stylish film noir. Impeccable camera work and a great cast of characters.

121. Mystic River (2003)

A richly textured mystery drama from Eastwood at the top of his game. The cast all give memorable performances. A disturbing and sad tale.

Post #: 101
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 28/1/2013 5:57:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Machuca's not bad at all.
Secrets And Lies was the first Mike Leigh film I saw and still one of the best.
Hero's pretty good.
Far From Heaven is amazing and Moore is perfect.
John Malkovich has moments of brilliance.
In Bruges is hilarious.
Can't remember much about Gattaca.
Love Gods and Monsters, don't love Touch Of Evil.
Mystic River isn't at the top of my Eastwood list but is very good.

Much more better!

Post #: 102
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 28/1/2013 12:01:30 PM   
Beetlejuice!

120. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Peter Jackson makes a most welcome return to Middle-Earth in the first part of a new trilogy. As always the attention to detail is simply amazing, brilliant characters, special effects and set-pieces. And like a big kid, there's nothing more exciting than seeing returning cast members pop up.

119. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

Sergio Leone's bleak and bloody classic Spaghetti western remains a defining one of the genre. Cinematography and Ennio Morricone's score cement the greatness alongside Leone's stylish direction and three great characters courtesy of Eastwood, Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef.

118. Before Sunset (2004)

A perfect merging of actors and screenwriter as Linklater continues the story of an almost romance. It's nothing but talking for 80 minutes, but done so impeccably well. One of my favourite endings of any film.

117. Princess Mononoke (1997)

A captivating, otherworldy anime from the masterful Hayao Miyazaki. Filled with an unusual atmosphere as man comes to war with forest spirits. The animation as always is fantastic, memorable characters and a true sense of adventure.

116. Another Year (2010)

Lesley Manville is exceptionally good in another slice-of-life tale from Mike Leigh, gets gloomy at times but it's a beautifully performed drama.

Post #: 103
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 28/1/2013 12:30:32 PM   
Beetlejuice!

115. Unforgiven (1992)

Eastwood's contemplative tale of redemption remains a masterful western. Well shot and performed by a solid cast. English Bob should have got a spin-off movie.

114. The Ladykillers (1955)

Droll British humour at its very darkest. A caper comedy that spirals further out of control and all performed with comedic gusto by the cast. Very funny.

113. Ed Wood (1994)

One of the best films ever made about moviemaking happens to be about possibly the worst director of all time. Tim Burton's delightfully offbeat and moving film takes a look into the lives of people just out of their depth but sharing a love for cinema. Johnny Depp is excellent and spearheads an excellent cast.

112. The Crying Game (1992)

Controversial in its day, the film still remains a tense, unusual thriller. Atmospheric and shot in a dreamlike manner by Neil Jordan. Stephen Rea and Miranda Richardson are excellent and of course, Jaye Davidson was a great find.

111. Millions (2004)

Danny Boyle took his turn at family movies with this very successful modern fable. The kids are great and Boyle never undermines the story and keeps it quite intense as it flirts with the more thriller aspects.

Post #: 104
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 28/1/2013 12:39:34 PM   
Beetlejuice!

110. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Nicholson is a firecracker in this hugely likeable comedy drama. Iconic movie of the '70s and deservedly so.

109. Chungking Express (1994)

Wong Kar-Wai's moody, stylized urban drama is shot in a hauntingly beautiful manner, using all sorts of techniques in portraying its two tales of missed love.

108. Paprika (2006)

The visuals in this rather creepy sci-fi anime are stunning and memorable. Intense, weird and unforgettable film.

107. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)

And so to my highest rated Potter movie, none quite making the top 100 but this one is the closest. It just gets unbearably intense and the three leads prove themselves to be fine actors. Outside of Hogwarts this film provides some of the series' best set-pieces and the death towards the end is pretty heartbreaking.

106. In the Mood for Love (2000)

Wong Kar-Wai slows things down for this stunning movie exploring a very unusual romance. The film swirls around slowly like it's a moving painting and Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung give heartbreakingly restrained performances.

Post #: 105
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 28/1/2013 12:52:29 PM   
AxlReznor

Shrek 2 is my favourite of the series.
Shaun Of The Dead is great. I used to hate it, and everything else Simon Pegg, but when I rewatched his stuff a few years ago, I found it hilarious.
Akira is one of the best animated films ever. It's weird, and I still don't know if I actually understand what's going on in the end... but man, it's great as a showcase for Japanese animation.
Ponyo is fantastic... even if the kids do get a little annoying after a while.
Hero is one of the best martial arts movies ever made, and one of the most beautiful movies of any kind. Beaten only by House Of Flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for me.
Gattaca is an interesting movie. Don't remember much of it, but I remember liking it.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey... one of the best movies of last year. Loved it, except for having a bit of a problem with the visual effects.
Princess Mononoke is the greatest animated movie ever made. Simple as that.
Unforgiven is great.
Ed Wood is brilliant too. Tim Burton at his weirdest... which is odd considering it's also his closest to reality.
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is a great, entertaining film. Jack Nicholson is brilliant.
Paprika is another Japanese animated movie that I'm not sure what's going on, but I love it anyway. Some of the best animation of recent years, too... I miss hand-drawn animation, and it's great that the Japanese are still using it, as well as innovative use of hybrid hand-drawn and CG as this film does at various points.
Heard many fantastic things about In The Mood For Love. It was okay, but I didn't think it was worth all the hype.

Post #: 106
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 28/1/2013 3:02:12 PM   
dillon.anderson1378

This is what I feel:

Amadeus - Never seen it, but want to
Carlito's way - A good gangster film
Young Frankenstein - Weird
Kingdom of Heaven - Long and very average
Estrada - Never heard of it
Hudsucker - Never seen it
Jesse James - Brad Pitt is a legend
Bourne Ultimatum - Stunning conclusion
Ghandi - Still haven't seen it!
Jurassic Park - Awesome film
Mirrormask - God awful, 1 out of 10
Brief Encounter - Haven't seen it
X:men first class - One of my favorites, should be higher
Super 8 - it was okay

Only some of these titles are worthy

Post #: 107
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 28/1/2013 5:52:38 PM   
ElephantBoy

Shrek 2 8/10 - Even better than the first one
Three Colors Red 8/10 - A beautiful film, but at this stage I still think Blue is the masterpiece of the series.
Shaun of the Dead 9/10 - Pretty much a flawless horror/comedy
Ponyo 7.5/10 - Delightful, great animation, lovely songs
Secrets & Lies 8/10 - Intelligent, perfectly paced and performed
Far From Heaven 9/10 - Am a big fan
Being John Malkovich 9/10 - A great idea perfectly excuated
In Bruges 8/10 - Stylish, very funny and good performances
Gattaca 8/10 - Seems to devide many people, but I love it
Gods and Monsters 7.5/10 - Deeply moving
Touch of Evil 10/10 - Masterpiece
Mystic River 7.5/10 - Interesting and good performances, but the tone is a little shakey at times
Princess Mononoke 8/10 - One of the directors best
Unforgiven 9/10 - Excellent film
The Ladykillers 10/10 - One of the greatest comedies ever
Ed Wood 9/10 - Top three Burton
The Crying Game 8/10 - Tightly directed, with an interesting and well handled twist
Millions 6/10 - Bit avenge overall
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9/10 - Wonderful black comedy, with intense and touching moments
Chunking Express 7.5/10 - Need to watch again, but was impressed first time out
In the Mood For Love 10/10 - Maybe one of the most subtle romantic dramas ever on film.

(in reply to dillon.anderson1378)
Post #: 108
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 30/1/2013 2:18:08 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Hobbit!
GBU - Great film, even greater score.
Princess Mononoke - No
Another Year - More Leigh brilliance.
Unforgiven - Clint's best
Ladykillers - So, so good.
Ed Wood - Burton's best, but all his films are good.
Crying Game - Not bad at all
Millions - One of Boyle's weaker efforts, but still 190 million times better than The Beach
Cuckoo's nest - Great
Potter 8 - Manages to make the worst scene from the entire run of books slightly bearable. Not my fave Potter but I do love it.
In the Mood For Love - Liked it a lot when I saw it, not sure if it'll hold up.

Much more better!

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 109
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 2/2/2013 12:33:31 PM   
Beetlejuice!

105. The Place Promised in Our Early Days (2004)

A peculiar, haunting anime following the lives of three teenagers as they are connected in some way to a strange tower. The animation is beautiful.

104. La Haine (1995)

A gritty, crime drama that never exploits the subject matter but paints an unflinching look into the life of three French teenagers flirting with a life of crime. The old man in the toilet scene is brilliant.

103. Braveheart (1995)

The history may be questionable but there's no denying the rousing entertainment provided by Mel Gibson's rousing, historical epic. Fantastic score and the battle sequences are still some of the best been brought to the screen.

102. The Terminator (1984)

Although the sequel is fantastic I still prefer Schwarzenneger as the evil terminator as he rampages his way through this low-budget sci-fi action classic.

101. Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

Family indie drama is perfectly combined with Hollywood comedy in this impeccably performed sleeper hit. Funny, heartwarming and just damn likeable.

Post #: 110
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 2/2/2013 12:55:57 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Perfect time for a catch-up:

101. Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
102. The Terminator (1984)
103. Braveheart (1995)
104. La Haine (1995)
105. The Place Promised in Our Early Days (2004)
106. In the Mood for Love (2000)
107. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)
108. Paprika (2006)
109. Chungking Express (1994)
110. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
111. Millions (2004)
112. The Crying Game (1992)
113. Ed Wood (1994)
114. The Ladykillers (1955)
115. Unforgiven (1992)
116. Another Year (2010)
117. Princess Mononoke (1997)
118. Before Sunset (2004)
119. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
120. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
121. Mystic River (2003)
122. Touch of Evil (1958)
123. Gods and Monsters (1998)
124. Gattaca (1997)
125. In Bruges (2008)
126. Los Olvidados (1950)
127. Being John Malkovich (1999)
128. Far From Heaven (2002)
129. Hero (2002)
130. Innocent Voices (2004)
131. Secrets & Lies (1996)
132. Mirror (1975)
133. Mary & Max (2008)
134. Ponyo (2008)
135. Machuca (2004)
136. Akira (1988)
137. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
138. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
139. Three Colours: Red (1993)
140. Shrek 2 (2004)
141. The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
142. The Skin I Live In (2011)
143. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
144. Aladdin (1992)
145. Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
146. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
147. Black Swan (2010)
148. Blood Simple (1984)
149. The Truman Show (1998)
150. JFK (1991)
151. Skyfall (2012)
152. Love and Death (1975)
153. Hanna (2011)
154. Donnie Darko (2001)
155. The City of Lost Children (1995)
156. Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
157. Finding Nemo (2003)
158. No Man's Land (2001)
159. A History of Violence (2005)
160. Letters From Iwo Jima (2006)
161. Europa (1991)
162. Pi (1998)
163. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)
164. Kick-Ass (2010)
165. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
166. Wonder Boys (2000)
167. Bad Education (2004)
168. Inland Empire (2006)
169. Miller's Crossing (1990)
170. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)
171. American History X (1998)
172. Beginners (2010)
173. Black Hawk Down (2001)
174. Groundhog Day (1993)
175. The Crow (1994)
176. The Book of Eli (2010)
177. The King's Speech (2010)
178. Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985)
179. Barton Fink (1991)
180. Following (1998)
181. Platoon (1986)
182. Hugo (2011)
183. Steamboy (2004)
184. The Fighter (2010)
185. The Little Mermaid (1989)
186. Network (1976)
187. The Incredibles (2004)
188. Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)
189. Empire of the Sun (1987)
190. Stranger Than Fiction (2008)
191. Avatar (2009)
192. Where the Wild Things Are (2008)
193. The Wild Bunch (1969)
194. The Princess Bride (1987)
195. Leaves of Grass (2009)
196. Sling Blade (1996)
197. Lost in Translation (2003)
198. Eastern Promises (2007)
199. Iron Man (2008)
200. Spun (2006)
201. 127 Hours (2010)
202. Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)
203. District 9 (2009)
204. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
205. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
206. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
207. Road to Perdition (2002)
208. Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
209. Hot Fuzz (2007)
210. Barefoot Gen (1983)
211. The Simpsons Movie (2007)
212. The Machinist (2004)
213. Batman (1989)
214. Alien (1979)
215. Lucky Number Slevin (2006)
216. Seven (1995)
217. C.R.A.Z.Y. (2005)
218. The Kids Are All Right (2010)
219. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
220. Sliding Doors (1998)
221. Cars (2006)
222. A Single Man (2006)
223. The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
224. Happiness (1998)
225. The Artist (2011)
226. The Fall (2006)
227. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
228. Porco Rosso (1992)
229. Hard Boiled (1992)
230. Naked (1993)
231. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1999)
232. Suspiria (1977)
233. The Player (1992)
234. Ninja Scroll (1993)
235. The Sixth Sense (1999)
236. Super 8 (2011)
237. Bad Boy Bubby (1993)
238. X-Men: First Class (2011)
239. Brief Encounter (1954)
240. MirrorMask (2005)
241. Jurassic Park (1993)
242. Gandhi (1982)
243. The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
244. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
245. The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
246. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)
247. Kingdom of Heaven (2005)
248. Young Frankenstein (1974)
249. Carlito's Way (1993)
250. Amadeus (1984)

Post #: 111
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 4/2/2013 11:25:18 AM   
AxlReznor

Been wanting to see The Place Promised In Our Early Days for a while. Unfortunately, Lovefilm Instant's anime selection is literally non-existant, and it doesn't look like that's going to be changing any time soon. Will just have to wait until Filmfour do an anime season or something, I suppose.
La Haine, Braveheart and The Terminator are excellent, though.

Post #: 112
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 4/2/2013 5:17:56 PM   
Beetlejuice!

100. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

A masterful visionary piece of sci-fi and experimental cinema from Kubrick, perfect merging of music and image.

99. The Departed (2006)

Scorsese certainly gave his loyal fans a treat with this explosive gangster thriller. An excellent cast chew on the scenery and the director keeps the whole thing intense and stylish.

98. The Game (1997)

Michael Douglas plays a neat spin on his cold, calculated persona in David Fincher's expertly taut thriller. Unpredictable and creepy.

97. Run Lola Run (1998)

Uber-stylish Euro thriller, Franka Potente's iconic role as the small time hood's girlfriend who runs around town trying to save the day. The direction is hyperkinetic and its constantly on the move, just like the lead character.

96. Love Exposure (2008)

This film is totally insane but I love it! At four hours long you might struggle with the film if you are not instantly taken with the film's bonkers style. It plays out like a live action anime, great cast and fantastic soundtrack to boot.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 113
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 4/2/2013 5:20:42 PM   
AxlReznor

The Departed is one of my all-time favourites. A fantastic cast without a single poor performance, and a script that actually manages to improve on Infernal Affairs - which is quite a task.
Run Lola Run was a short, but fun diversion. Love Exposure sounds... interesting.

Post #: 114
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 4/2/2013 5:29:36 PM   
Beetlejuice!

95. Adaptation (2002)

Jonze and Kaufman proved that the Malkovich flick was no one off, with this increasingly clever and wildly inventive movie. Multi-layered and perfectly performed by Nic Cage, Meryl Streep and Chris Cooper.

94. WALL-E (2008)

One of Pixar's most adorable and endearing creations comes from the title character in this endearing tale of a tiny robot helping bring life back to Earth in the distant future. The first half of the film (almost silent) is simply outstanding.

93. 28 Days Later (2002)

Probably the best zombie film out there courtesy of Danny Boyle's unbearably tense direction, excellent special effects, truly scary moments and a very good cast.

92. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Guillermo Del Toro's beautifully crafted battle of good vs evil in both the real world and a magical fantasy underground. Lovely music adds to the richly atmospheric tale alongside a wonderful lead child performance.

91. Sin City (2005)

Extremely stylish and gritty comic-book adaptation that may be the best of its kind with an outstanding cast of characters who vividly bring the characters to life.

Post #: 115
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 4/2/2013 5:43:49 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Love Exposure sounds... interesting.

I can't recommend it highly enough, it's on Film4 now and again, keep your eyes peeled for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fxa5NuVrqU

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 116
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 4/2/2013 5:56:04 PM   
Beetlejuice!

90. The Prestige (2006)

Christopher Nolan's dark, brooding period thriller follows two magicians pushing each other down continuosly dangerous routes. A twisty plot keeps you thinking whilst Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman give excellent performances. And a neat little role for David Bowie as well.

89. Gran Torino (2008)

Eastwood does what he does best playing a grizzly old war vet who finds a new lease of life when he puts aside his prejudices to help his neighbours family against a dangerous gang. Easy-going storytelling but done with the director's usual balance of humanity and tension.

88. Short Cuts (1993)

Robert Altman's fantastic mosaic of life in L.A. follows a huge range of characters as they go about their daily, troubled lives. An excellent cast relish the juicy roles and Jack Lemmon has one of my all time fav movie monologues.

87. Heat (1995)

This hugely influential '90s crime thriller is still as compelling to watch to this day. De Niro and Pacino do what they do best and the film benefits from the star wattage both of them bring. Mann's direction is moody, stylish and he perfectly revolves the huge supporting cast into the mix.

86. The Wrestler (2008)

Mickey Rourke is outstanding in this rich character portrait of a man past his prime. Aronofsky allows the film to breathe by focusing on the main character and it's a deeply melancholy story.

Post #: 117
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 5/2/2013 8:15:15 AM   
AxlReznor

WALL-E. Pan's Labyrinth. Sin City. The Prestige. Gran Torino. Heat. The Wrestler. All excellent!

Post #: 118
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 5/2/2013 2:11:52 PM   
ElephantBoy

Terminator 8/10 - Good visionary action romp, Linda Hamilton carries the actoring side of the film very well.

Little Miss Sunshine 8/10 - A sweet feel good comedy, with some darker moments and nicely drawn characters.

2001 6/10 - A little dull and doesn't quite hold together.

The Departed 6.5/10 - Solid action thriller, nothing more nothing less.

The Game 4/10 - Poorly acted with a terrible twist.

Adapation 8/10 - By his high standards it is a lesser Jones, but still there is much to enjoy.

Wall-E 7.5/10 - Need to see again.

28 Days Later 9/10 - A relivent horror masterclass.

Pan's Labyrinth 10/10 - A modern masterpiece

Sin City 7.5/10 - Enjoyable and stylish enough.

The Prestige 6/10 - Avenge

Gran Torino 7.5/10 - Oddly moving and where Clint comes into his own as director.

Short Cuts 7.5/10 - Compelling, richly complex filmmaking.

Heat 8/10 - One of Mann's best ever films.

The Wrestler 8/10 - Am a big fan also.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 119
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 9/2/2013 9:58:03 AM   
Beetlejuice!

85. Boogie Nights (1997)

An extraordinary cast bring colourful life to PT Anderson's rich tapestry following a "family" of pornographers. As it deals with the '70s, it is suitably influenced by the likes of Scorsese and Robert Altman. Fantastic soundtrack on top of it all.

84. Raising Arizona (1987)

Outside of Lebowski, this is the Coens other consistently hilarious film. It plays out like a live-action cartoon thanks to wacky performances, an offbeat storyline and some wonderful yodelling alongside Carter Burwell's terrific score. I love Frances McDormand's character.

83. Mean Streets (1973)

Where it all began for Scorsese, De Niro and Keitel - not their debuts but definitely the one that put them all on the map. An explosive tale of small town hoods, edgy, gritty and super stylish. Perfect work by all involved.

82. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)

A beautiful and brutal film that is a perfect cinematic adaptation of the popular musical. Burton expertly brings a gothic London to life and the film plays out more like a 70s horror than a flashy musical. Excellent work from Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in the leads.

81. The Killer (1989)

All John Woo's themes (two men on different sides, honour, doves) are brought together in perfect style for this exhilarating action thriller. The best of the director's work and a great role for Chow Yun-Fat.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI