Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 14/1/2013 12:35:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Do you have a copy of LOTR with you? Because I (for some reason) have Translation and can have it watched in the next two hours

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 61
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 14/1/2013 12:39:28 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Do you have a copy of LOTR with you? Because I (for some reason) have Translation and can have it watched in the next two hours

I do not I also have plans to go see another movie today but you should watch it anyway

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 62
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 14/1/2013 1:54:59 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nope, sorry. Deal's off But as soon as you see LOTR, Lost In Translation will get watched by me.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 63
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 14/1/2013 2:08:11 AM   
jiraffejustin

ScarJo and Bill Murray are not the most likely couple. Bill Murray is a lucky bastard though.

Fantastic movie though.

Post #: 64
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 14/1/2013 2:14:57 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Nope, sorry. Deal's off But as soon as you see LOTR, Lost In Translation will get watched by me.

Sounds a plan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

ScarJo and Bill Murray are not the most likely couple. Bill Murray is a lucky bastard though.

Fantastic movie though.

That's true in a sense, but they're two complete strangers that developed an emotional connection and bond so any differences (age etc.) are a little arbitrary. But yeah, he most definitely is minus the personal problems in the film though

Post #: 65
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 14/1/2013 2:23:00 PM   
AxlReznor

I love Seven, and Alien and Tim Burton's Batman are another two undeniable classics.
Was really excited to see The Machinist, but when I did I was fairly underwhelmed. It's not a bad movie, and you've got to admire Christian Bales commitment to a character, but it just didn't do much for me.
Same goes for The Simpsons Movie for completely different reasons. It's not as funny as it thinks it is.
Hot Fuzz on the other hand is as funny as it thinks it is, and then some.
Once Upon A Time In America is a masterpiece.
Road To Perdition is quite entertaining, but not fantastic.
Wasn't a big fan of the early Harry Potter's but Goblet Of Fire is where they began to turn around.
Raiders Of The Lost Ark is brilliant!
I didn't see what all the fuss with District 9 was about. Another that I didn't dislike, but I didn't really think was all that special.
Hellboy II is one of the best comic book adaptations to ever grace the screen. The cast are perfect, and del Toro worked his usual music with the creature designs.
I'd never been a fan of Iron Man, and was really skeptical of the movie, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark is brilliant, and the humour is top-notch.
And Eastern Promises is one of those movies that seems to get a little bit better every time I watch it.

Post #: 66
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 15/1/2013 9:35:03 PM   
Beetlejuice!

195. Leaves of Grass (2009)

A low-key little offbeat indie film with Edward Norton giving two excellent performances as twin brothers. Tim Blake Nelson's comedy drama contains plenty of heart amidst all the hash growing shenanigans.

194. The Princess Bride (1987)

A very clever, entertaining and timeless fairytale adventure. Excellent adaptation of a classic book.

193. The Wild Bunch (1969)

A grizzled bunch of old school actors bring the new violent, morally ambiguous tone of the Hollywood western to the screen thanks to Sam Peckinpah's rough and tumble western.

192. Where the Wild Things Are (2008)

Spike Jonze develops the children's story into a beautifully captivating psychological insight into the mind of a child. With great big playful monsters. The creatures are wonderful and Max Records gives a brilliant natural lead performance. Very upsetting ending.

191. Avatar (2009)

The story may be familiar but there's no denying the epic scope and visual beauty of James Cameron's sci-fi adventure. Special effects are outstanding and the film contains the best use of 3D yet.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 67
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 15/1/2013 9:46:46 PM   
SadFace

The Princess Bride is brilliant.
Love Where the Wild Things Are.
Avatar doesn't exactly get better with rewatches but the visuals are still astounding.

< Message edited by SadFace -- 15/1/2013 9:48:09 PM >

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 68
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 15/1/2013 9:51:38 PM   
Beetlejuice!

190. Stranger Than Fiction (2008)

Will Ferrel gets out his acting chops for this quirky little comedy drama with a surreal edge. He has great chemistry with Maggie Gyllenhaal and the unusual tale of a writer controlling a person's life is played out in a fun manor. Nice work all round.

189. Empire of the Sun (1987)

Spielberg's epic view of war through a young boy's eyes is visually stunning and contains a brilliant debut performance from Christian Bale.

188. Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)

Everyone's favourite stop-motion characters created a successful transition to the big screen in this loopy throwback to old British horror movies. Helena Bonham Carter and Ralph Fiennes were the big star names added to the mix and they are hilarious. Contains as much action and dry humour as the irresistable shorts.

187. The Incredibles (2004)

Excellent character design in Pixar's flip-side look into the life as a superhero. The family dynamic is beautifully done and there's some fun supporting characters including Edna Mole and Frozone.

186. Network (1976)

How many brilliant performances can you squeeze into one film? The ensemble is perfect in this satire on modern television. Ahead of its time.

Post #: 69
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/1/2013 5:56:55 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Were-Rabbit!

Not so keen on The Princess Bride, Wild Bunch or Where The Wild Things Are.

The Incredibles is great.

Much more better!

Post #: 70
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/1/2013 10:54:48 AM   
AxlReznor

Actually couldn't stand Where The Wild Things Are. It has to be one of my least favourite movies ever.
I thought - and still think - that Avatar is fantastic. Couldn't care less about how unoriginal the plot is, it's great to watch.
And The Incredibles is great, as are most things Pixar.

Post #: 71
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/1/2013 3:23:28 PM   
Beetlejuice!

185. The Little Mermaid (1989)

A turning point in the Disney cannon when their films became much more of a classic status once more. Lovely animation as always and whilst the romance angle is a bit wet (no pun intended) the supporting characters are some of the studio's best.

184. The Fighter (2010)

Four excellent performances elevate this true life story of a messed up family making their way in the boxing world. David O. Russell allows the actors the freedom to bring the characters to life whilst allowing some moments of spiked dark humour in the mix.

183. Steamboy (2004)

Gorgeous animation in this very classy anime that merges sci-fi and industrialisation within a London Victorian era. Exciting concept and the film fulfills the promise.

182. Hugo (2011)

Scorsese's love letter to cinema is a richly detailed, loveable movie. It fully realises the magic of cinema and his use of 3D was ingenious. A labour of love that will definitely appeal to anyone for a taste of the silent era.

181. Platoon (1986)

Oliver Stone's brutal Vietnam War movie remains one of the best war movies brought to screen. Brutal, harsh and raw with two excellent performances from Willem Dafoe and Tom Berenger, who symbolically represent two different views of war.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 72
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/1/2013 4:11:26 PM   
Beetlejuice!

180. Following (1998)

Christopher Nolan's moody debut film is an atomospheric indie that shows many of the themes that have popped up in his popular movies since. The main actor isn't great but the film is an assured an interesting thriller.

179. Barton Fink (1991)

As close as the Coens have came to making a horror movie, this insight into the psychology of a struggling screenwriter is as funny as it is scary. Turturro and Goodman are perfect in their roles and head an as always interesting cast.

178. Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985)

William Hurt and Raul Julia give bold, passionate performances in this creative tale of two cell mates developing an unusual relationship. A quietly emotional, moving movie.

177. The King's Speech (2010)

A witty, thoroughly likeable historic drama that is directed with panache by Tom Hooper and the cast are outstanding. Firth, is remarkable as the king suffering from his own private problems whilst Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter are headstrong and supportive as the two people who help the man find his way. Supporting cast all deserve a quick mention as well, as they ground the whole film in reality whilst avoiding caricature. The speech itself is one of the most exciting moments in any film, ever!

176. The Book of Eli (2010)

A strange post-apocalyptic tale with Denzel Washington providing a strong, imposing lead as a man trying to find salvation in mankind. There's some excellent action sequences and the story contains many unusual and unique elements.

Post #: 73
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/1/2013 4:17:37 PM   
AxlReznor

Following is one of two Nolan movies I don't love (the other being Insomnia). But it's still a very good first effort.

Post #: 74
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 16/1/2013 4:22:06 PM   
Beetlejuice!

175. The Crow (1994)

This Gothic action thriller is a stylish movie which takes pleasure in having good triumph over evil. Be it, in a very violent and chilling way.

174. Groundhog Day (1993)

A feel good movie at its very best, Bill Murray is excellent and Harold Ramis has total control over this very unusual romantic comedy fantasy. A very clever film that deserves to be watched over and over!

173. Black Hawk Down (2001)

Ridley Scott gives assured direction as we follow the mayhem and chaos as two helicopters are shot down and the attempts to get the soldiers out of enemy lines. An impressive cast give strong performances and the film is a brutal, examination of life on the front line.

172. Beginners (2010)

A quirky, contemplative little drama that follows one man's attempt to find love in the aftermath of the death of his father, who after many years decided to come out of the closet in his dying days. Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer are heartbreakingly perfect. Sad, funny and beautifully done.

171. American History X (1998)

A hard-hitting, brutal drama with no holds barred performance from Ed Norton. Whatever the hoopla is behind the making of the film should be put aside, because the final film is an outstanding thought provoking piece of work.

Post #: 75
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 17/1/2013 8:27:03 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I didn't mind Leaves of Grass.
Princess Bride is heaps of fun
I think I've seen The Wild Bunch..
Stranger Than Fiction is good.
Incredibles is lesser Pixar but still fun.
The Fighter has some terrific performances but little else stood-out for me. Needs a rewatch.
Hugo is brilliant as is Platoon and Barton Fink.
The King's Speech was nice.

Book of Eli is alright. There's a friend of mine who is convinced Denzel should every main African American lead in every action film. Watching Man With The Iron Fists for example, concerning RZA's character, he said "Denzel would have played this guy much better". I claimed Denzel is more of a dramatic actor and he replied with "NO WAY. He's action, he was in Book of Eli!" I regret associating with some of my friends sometimes.

The Crow is great.
I barely remember Groundhog Day, definitely needs a rewatch.
Black Hawk Down - See above, minus the rewatch.
Beginners has Christopher Plummer (who was amazing) and Melanie Laurent. So much win.
American History X I don't like as much as I used to when I was in my mid-teens, but it has Ed Norton who is amazing sooooo

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 17/1/2013 11:30:28 PM >

Post #: 76
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 17/1/2013 8:29:21 PM   
ElephantBoy

The Princess Bride 9/10 - Timeless classic, very witty and stylish.

The Wild Bunch 9/10 - One of the most disturbing yet compelling Westerns I have seen.

Where the Wild Things Are 8/10 - A lovely little film, with a strong central turn and a arresting visual style, love the soundtrack too.

Avatar 4/10 - No matter how good the visuals are it cannot hide just how bad the other aspects of the film are.

Have not seen Empire of the Sun since I was very young so will have to leave that for now.

The Little Mermaid 7.5/10 - Not Disney's best, but still a charming film.

The Fighter 5.5/10 - Pretty forgettable and predictable hollywood fare.

Platoon 6.5/10 - Solid, but overly sentimental.

Following 7.5/10 - Slick and engaging debut thriller, well played by the leads.

Barton Fink 9/10 - In my top five Coen's easily, great characters, inventive dialouge, with a magical, yet unsettling tone, plus a top cast.

Kiss of the Spider Woman 8/10 - Very moving drama.

The King's Speech 6/10 - Outside of the acting I can't find too much to get excited about.

The Crow 6/10 - Its alright.

Groundhog Day 8/10 - Maybe my favourite holiday movie.

American History X 8/10 - Very good.

Post #: 77
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 18/1/2013 6:03:20 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Little Mermaid is great, At least I thought it was when I last saw it some 20 years ago.
The Fighter's good.
Hugo is almost Scorcese's best.
Platoon is superb.
I love Following. My favourite Nolan outside of the Batman films.
Barton and Spider Woman are ok.
I love The KIng's Speech. Deserved all the awards it got and more.
Book of Eli was unfairly criticised.
Crow's good, Groundhog isn't.
Black Hawk Down is top 5 Ridley Scott.

Much more better!

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 78
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 19/1/2013 10:21:40 PM   
Beetlejuice!

170. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)

Director Tom Tykwer creates an astonishing mergence of visuals to create the impact of scent in this unusual thriller. Ben Wishaw is captivating in the lead and is supported well by Alan Rickman and Dustin Hoffman. The whole final sequence is outstanding.

169. Miller's Crossing (1990)

The Coens stylish gangster drama with some brilliant memorable sequences, sly humour and well cast. Terrific.

168. Inland Empire (2006)

Completely bonkers. Perhaps Lynch's most bizarre movie, I still can't figure the whole thing out but its amazing getting lost in this surreal journey. Laura Dern is excellent.

167. Bad Education (2004)

Pedro Almodovar's moody drama jolts off in a number of unexpected directions. Stylish, sexy and providing an excellent multi-layered role for the gorgeous Gael Garcia Bernal.

166. Wonder Boys (2000)

Michael Douglas leads a great cast in this laid back sleeper comedy drama. There's some classy screwball comedy moments in this likeable flick.

Post #: 79
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 19/1/2013 10:29:47 PM   
Beetlejuice!

165. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

Devastating little anime following two orphans as they struggle for survival during WWII. A beautiful, heartbreaking film.

164. Kick-Ass (2010)

Great mix of action and comedy in this offbeat superhero movie. Wicked characters and a great sense of fun.

163. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (2011)

The series comes to an explosive, thrilling end in the final film. Outstanding work by the cast as always and just a fantastic sense of fantasy and mystery to the whole film. Brilliant.

162. Pi (1998)

A creepy, disturbing thriller from Darren Aronofsky. Weird and hypnotising. Great visuals throughout.

161. Europa (1991)

A mysterious indie thriller from Lars Von Trier, who uses a number of unique visual tricks.

Post #: 80
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 20/1/2013 5:52:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Perfume's great, the score's even better
Not that keen on Miller's Crossing or Wonder Boys.
Pi is amazing, Kick Ass is loadsa fun and Potter is always good.

Much more better!

Post #: 81
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 20/1/2013 10:57:44 AM   
MovieAddict247

Bad Education and Wonder Boys are both great.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

Post #: 82
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 20/1/2013 11:33:16 AM   
Beetlejuice!

160. Letters From Iwo Jima (2006)

Clint Eastwood's impressive take on the war from the Japanese point of view. Brutal, bleak and brilliant. The actors are all very good, especially Ken Watanabe as the troubled officer.

159. A History of Violence (2005)

Brilliant performances in this odd, atmospheric thriller. Cronenberg's tale is almost Lynch-like in its look at the evil that lurks beneath small town Americana. Howard Shore's score adds to the creepy mood.

158. No Man's Land (2001)

A humorous little war film as two soldiers on opposing sides are trapped within one trench, unable to escape or they will be shot by the opposing side.

157. Finding Nemo (2003)

Probably the best look into life under the sea we've ever had. Pixar's winning streak continued with this funny, heart warming tale of a father searching for his son. Great vocal work from the cast and beautiful animation as always.

156. Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

Wes Anderson makes a joyfully offbeat trip into animation with this wacky, sweet movie adapting the classic Roald Dahl children's novel. Excellent cast provide gravitas for some loveably quirky characters. I love Willem Dafoe's rat and the appearance of the wolf.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 83
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 20/1/2013 11:34:22 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Looking at that update I was all

Much more better!

Post #: 84
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 20/1/2013 11:34:56 AM   
Rebel scum

Hot Fuzz gets better every time I watch it
Once Upon A Time In America is really good, and doesn't feel the four-ish hours it lasts.
Goblet Of Fire is one of the better Potters
Raiders is action brilliance, but I still prefer the third
Dawn Of The Dead is good
District 9 >>>>> Avatar
Hellboy 2 is good fun
127 Hours really surprised me, Franco should've got the Best Actor Oscar that year
Iron Man is the second-best of the Avengers lot
Lost In Translation = Murray + Johansson's ass = great
The Princess Bride is fantastic
Where The Wild Things Are only really clicked for me second time round, still great though
Were-Rabbit is great, but the W&G shorts are better
The Incredibles is mid-tier Pixar
The Little Mermaid has a great villain and a few catchy songs, but the rest isn't for me
The Fighter is really good
Hugo was lovely
Barton Fink is one of the best Coen movies
The King's Speech was solid, nothing more
The Book Of Eli is fucking awful
Groundhog Day = Murray + Ned Ryerson = great
American History X is a brutal, great piece of work
Miller's Crossing is great
Grave of The Fireflies -
Kick-Ass is good fun
Deathly Hallows II is okay, but they really skimped on the Battle Of Hogwarts
Pi is good, but the least of the Aronofsky's I've seen
A History Of Violence is my favourite Cronenberg
Finding Nemo is top-tier Pixar
Fantastic Mr Fox was surprisingly good fun

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 20/1/2013 11:36:12 AM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 85
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 20/1/2013 9:40:10 PM   
ElephantBoy

Miller's Crossing 8/10 - Another one of the Coen's finest
Inland Empire 9/10 - Lynch at his most exciting and unpredictable, Laura Dern is stunning.
Bad Education 7.5/10 - Enjoyable melodrama.
Wonder Boys 5/10 - Enjoyed it more at the time, now find it uneven and poorly acted.
Grave of the Fireflies 8/10 - Charming with superb animation.
Pi 8/10 - Intense, visually stylish with a smart script
Letters From Iwo Jima 7.5/10 - A big step up from the first film.
A History of Violence 9/10 - Top Five Croneberg imo, Vigo is awesome, the plot is intelligent and has some sharp twists and the atmosphere and visuals are impressive.
Finding Nemo 8/10 - Disney goes back to basics and it pays off. Lovely.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 86
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 21/1/2013 11:00:49 AM   
AxlReznor

Words can not describe how much I hate Inland Empire. In fact, Mulholland Drive is the only Lynch film I've seen that I have any time for... and that's not much.
Grave Of The Fireflies is a really good film, but it's the only animation I've seen which starts out with a bad situation and then makes it worse and worse with no silver lining. Not a light watch at all... am shocked that they put it as a double feature with My Neighbour Totoro which is the complete opposite.
Kick-Ass is a sharp, witty and fun movie. I don't love it as much as the first time I saw it, but it's still a quality piece of entertainment. Shame that the comic is so awful.
Letters From Iwo Jima is excellent. One of the best war movies I've ever seen, and so rare for an American director to show the conflict from the other side's point of view. Works best as a double-feature with Flags Of Our Fathers, as I'm sure was the intention.
A History Of Violence is a very good movie, too.
Finding Nemo is excellent, but I remember being pretty bored by The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 87
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 22/1/2013 4:23:12 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Words can not describe how much I hate Inland Empire. In fact, Mulholland Drive is the only Lynch film I've seen that I have any time for... and that's not much.Grave Of The Fireflies is a really good film, but it's the only animation I've seen which starts out with a bad situation and then makes it worse and worse with no silver lining. Not a light watch at all... am shocked that they put it as a double feature with My Neighbour Totoro which is the complete opposite.
Kick-Ass is a sharp, witty and fun movie. I don't love it as much as the first time I saw it, but it's still a quality piece of entertainment. Shame that the comic is so awful.
Letters From Iwo Jima is excellent. One of the best war movies I've ever seen, and so rare for an American director to show the conflict from the other side's point of view. Works best as a double-feature with Flags Of Our Fathers, as I'm sure was the intention.
A History Of Violence is a very good movie, too.
Finding Nemo is excellent, but I remember being pretty bored by The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Time to get your coat mate

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 88
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 23/1/2013 5:31:15 PM   
Beetlejuice!

155. The City of Lost Children (1995)

A bleak fairytale movie tinged with some excellent production design, the whole film looks fantastic. Performances are ace and the whole thing is a surreal joy from Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro.

154. Donnie Darko (2001)

Jake Gyllenhaal and Mary McDonnell give outstanding performances in this bizarre, time travel (?), oddity. It completely deserves its cult appeal and the soundtrack is quite awesome.

153. Hanna (2011)

An offbeat thriller that has as much in common with Grimm fairytales as it does with the basics of the genre. Joe Wright takes some stylistic risks and Saoirse Ronan is an enjoyable lead. Cate Blanchett meanwhile chews the scenery in fantastic camp form as the villian. Excellent Chemical Bros soundtrack.

152. Love and Death (1975)

Perhaps Woody Allen's most overlooked of his 'funny films', for me its his most hilarious moment in this send up of Russian literature and po-faced filmmaking. Snappy and delightfully daft, Diane Keaton provides her funniest performance as well.

151. Skyfall (2012)

Never been a massive Bond fan so I was very surprised when I totally loved this wonderfully shot, escapist action flick. Sam Mendes brings a neat gravitas to proceedings while Daniel Craig, Judi Dench and a deliciously OTT Javier Bardem provide a brilliant triangle of intrigue and double cross.

Post #: 89
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 23/1/2013 5:43:11 PM   
Beetlejuice!

150. JFK (1991)

An almost unbearably intense and thought provoking movie. Oliver Stone's direction is out of this world, the continuos editing of stock footage, film, video and sound makes it a dizzying exhibition whilst performances from the massive cast are outstanding. Donald Sutherland gets the best scene.

149. The Truman Show (1998)

Peter Weir perfectly tapped into the everyman likeability of Jim Carrey in this wonderful television satire. Its very clever use of camera angles makes you believe your watching the show. Carrey and Ed Harris are excellent and the score from Philip Glass is lovely.

148. Blood Simple (1984)

Low-budget filmmaking at its most creative, the Coens outstanding debut is a murky little thriller perfectly shot and assisted by cinematographer Barry Sonnenfeld. M. Emmet Walsh's creepy, nasty, repulsive little private detective remaining one of the Coens finest character creations.

147. Black Swan (2010)

Natalie Portman gives a sensational performance in this disturbing psychological thriller that looks into the disturbing world of an unstable ballet dancer. Barbara Hershey and Winona Ryder camp it up in fantastic style and Darren Aronofsky's direction is near perfect.

146. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

The one where the kiddie stuff was set aside and some more adult drama was brought into mix with the troubles of the central trio teenagers. The film stands alone as it looks more magical and heightened than the rest of the films but that does not affect it at all. It was the best book and it remains one of the best adaptations. New additions to the cast, David Thewlis and Emma Thompson, were excellent.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI