Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 1:27:09 AM   
Beetlejuice!

So I tried to do a top 100 movies list last year but got bored about halfway through. So this year I'm gonna do a top 250 and I WILL complete it. I'm just going to do super short reviews up until maybe the top 10 so that way I don't get sidetracked and I'll shoot it all out pretty quick.

I've compiled my lists from the Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year over the past 6 years to come up with this list. Some films on here I have only seen once but I loved it enough to make my top 100 of the year. The films nearer the top of the list I've enjoyed continuosly year after year and then some films on here I may not like as much as I did back in 2007 but they still get a look in.

So here is the Top 250 Films I've Watched 2007 - 2012....

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 10/1/2013 2:42:12 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 1:36:31 AM   
SadFace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

I'll shoot it all out pretty quick.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 2
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 1:38:55 AM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

I'll shoot it all out pretty quick.

Its a common problem.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 3
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 1:49:25 AM   
Beetlejuice!

250. Amadeus (1984)

A sumptuosly detailed period piece that is much a feast for the ears as it is for the eyes.

249. Carlito's Way (1993)

Al Pacino and Brian De Palma make a successful reunion with this enjoyable thriller. As always with the director there's some excellent camera work and tense set-pieces such as an exciting chase through Grand Central station. Pacino's great and Sean Penn threatens to steal the show as a smarmy lawyer.

248. Young Frankenstein (1974)

Using James Whale's original sets from the Frankenstein movies, Mel Brooks' delirious send-up is a riot with a game cast, lovely black and white cinematography and one hell of a funny script.

247. Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

Ridley Scott skillfully portrays the violent battles over Jerusalem between the Christians, Jews and Muslims. Not quite Gladiator, but a beautifully crafted film nontheless and personally, I think Orlando Bloom is excellent here in the lead role.

246. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

A contemplative, absorbing modern western that shows that Tommy Lee Jones has as much skill behind the camera as he does in front as he deftly handles the choppy narrative of Guillermo Arriaga's fine script.

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 10/1/2013 2:31:46 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 1:54:13 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I really like Carlito's Way, but nowhere near as much as when I first saw it (I think I was 13) I had a crush on Penelope Ann Miller too.

Young Frankenstein is brilliant.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 5
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 2:04:16 AM   
Beetlejuice!

245. The Hudsukcer Proxy (1994)

The Coen brothers throwback to 1940's style screwball albeit with a hint of dark comedy. A feel good film that has terrific work from the cast, in particular Paul Newman and Jennifer Jason Leigh's incorporation of stylized characterisations.

244. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Beautifully performed by the cast, this slow moving, atmospheric western takes an interesting look into the obsession with celebrity and delves into the psychology of its characters. A brooding, brilliant film.

243. The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)

Paul Greengrass picked up on the promise of the previous sequel with this rough and ready entry to the series. Along with the excellent action sequences, Joan Allen and David Strathairn are a welcome presence as the battling CIA agents and Matt Damon continues to provide the humanity to his appealing character.

242. Gandhi (1982)

Richard Attenborough's classically directed epic of one man's battle against crimes to humanity. Ben Kingsley is exceptionally good and fully emmerses himself into the role.

241. Jurassic Park (1993)

I'll never forget seeing this at the cinema as a kid and being totally blown away by it. The special effects remain outstanding even now and Spielberg masterfully creates tension. Rollicking adventure movie

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 10/1/2013 2:33:00 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 2:15:54 AM   
Beetlejuice!

240. MirrorMask (2005)

Outstanding art-direction and visual effects in this creepy, exciting fantasy movie.

239. Brief Encounter (1954)

A sincere, quiet and ever so English romance from David Lean. A classic of the genre and the performances from the leads are lovely.

238. X-Men: First Class (2011)

James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are excellent choices to star as Professor X and Magneto in the X-Men prequel. Action sequences are excellent but its the relationship between these two characters that makes the film a standout in the series.

237. Bad Boy Bubby (1993)

A bonkers, eccentric very dark comedy that won't be for everyone. Whatever you think of it you won't forget it in a hurry.

236. Super 8 (2011)

Lovingly crafted kids sci-fi very much in the vein of classic '80s movies. Scary and great special effects but loses some of its originality towards the end.

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 10/1/2013 2:37:23 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 2:37:54 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Amadeus - Like it but don't love it.
Carlito's Way - Almost de Palma's best
Youn Frankenstein - Meh
Kingdom Of Heaven - Superb
Melquiades Estrada - Superb
Hudsucker - Superb
Jesse James/Robert Ford - Loved it at the cinema, not so much when I saw it again last year.
Bourne Ultimatum - Good conclusion to his story
Gandhi - Superb
Jurassic Park - Should be about 200 places higher
MirrorMask - Love it
Brief Encounter - Darling, my dear, I do quite like this film, my dearest darling.
X-Men: First Class - 3rd best X-Men film
Super 8 - Very good

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 10/1/2013 2:38:19 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 8
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 11:17:56 AM   
Rebel scum

Amadeus is wonderful
Young Frankenstein is fun, but not Brooks' best
Bourne Ultimatum is great
Ghandi was surprisingly excellent
Jurassic Park is about 230 places too low
Brief Encounter is slight, but good
X-Men First Class was enjoyable, but X2 is still the series' pinnacle
Super 8 was good fun

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 9
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 11:33:52 AM   
rawlinson

Amadeus - Not a fan, I like the play though.
Carlito's Way - s'ok.
Young Frankenstein - Work of genius
Kingdom of Heaven - Meh, but it does look fantastic
Three Burials - Superb film, overlooked too often.
Hudsucker - Great film
Jesse James - Masterpiece
Bourne Ultimatum - Good
Gandhi -

I was walking down the street
just the other day
feeling a little randy
when who should I see
walking up to me
if it wasn't me old mate Gandhi

Jurassic Park - Not as good as Westworld, The Deptford Wives or Itchy & Scratchy Land
Mirror Mask - V. good
Brief Encounter - Not as good as the Dad's Army ep
X-Men - Meh
Bad Boy Bubby - Decent, but the scene with Bubby and his mum is too reminiscent of Friday round at Matty's.
Super 8 - Very good.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 10
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 11:35:16 AM   
matty_b

quote:

but the scene with Bubby and his mum is too reminiscent of Friday round at Matty's.

They get drunk, eat pizza and then listen to maudlin songs on YouTube till 1:00 in the morning?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 11
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 11:37:12 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

but the scene with Bubby and his mum is too reminiscent of Friday round at Matty's.

They get drunk, eat pizza and then listen to maudlin songs on YouTube till 1:00 in the morning?

You really need to get laid. Give in, get a hooker.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 12
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 11:43:23 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Hudsucker - A lot of fun. Plus it has Paul Newman, and that's always a great thing.
Assassination of Jesse James- I really wanted to like it. It looked fantastic but I just didn't connect to it. Needs a rewatch.
Bourne Ultimatum - Great.
Gandhi - Eh. Truthfully I don't remember much.
Jurassic Park - Haven't seen it in full in over a decade. Tis great though.

I really want to see Bad Boy Bubby, especially for the weird poll.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 13
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 1:05:20 PM   
AxlReznor

Amadeus - Great film
Carlito's Way - Al Pacino's brilliant
Kingdom Of Heaven - If you'd specified the Director's Cut I'd agree all the way. The theatrical cut is just... meh.
The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada - This bored the hell out of me.
The Bourne Ultimatum - Fantastic action movie, and best of the trilogy (Legacy doesn't count)
Jurassic Park - One of the finest pieces of blockbuster entertainment to ever grace the screen.
MirrorMask - Quite entertaining if you are - like me - a fan of Neil Gaiman's work. Not great, though... and if you're not into Gaiman's writing you probably won't have any time for it.
X-Men: First Class - Loved it! Best X-Men movie so far... even more impressive than X-Men 2.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 14
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 4:46:47 PM   
ElephantBoy

The highlights so far have been Three Burials, YF, and Brief Encounter.

Hudsucker is a lesser Coens for me, but it was visually good and I like the performances, just not the best script.

X-Men was a huge let down for me.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 15
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 7:03:19 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Carlito's Way - Better than Scarface
Young Frankenstein - Very funny
Kingdom of Heaven - Director's Cut is ace, haven't seen the theatrical cut
The Hudsucker Proxy - Very good, I need to rewatch this
The Assassination of Jesse James... - Fantastic. A career best performance by most of the cast
The Bourne Ultimatum - A fitting end to a very entertaining trilogy
Jurassic Park - A stone cold classic
MirrorMask - Absolutely stunning
X-Men: First Class - Enjoyed it less on 2nd viewing and the fact it's been officially confirmed as a prequel rather than a reboot means it makes no sense at all
Super 8 - Awful

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 16
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 11:29:51 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Cheers for feedback folks, most of you are right but the ones who have disagreed with me are wrong 

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 17
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 11:47:27 PM   
Beetlejuice!

235. The Sixth Sense (1999)

Haley Joel Osment's performance in this film remains perhaps the most technically advanced performance from a child I have seen. He deftly handles the subtle nuances of the character and whenever he's with Toni Collette as his mother, its heartbreaking. Bruce Willis falters slightly but still gives a good performance as the psychologist taking on this strange new patient. Even now the film remains so much more than just the twist thanks to expertly captivating direction from M. Night Shyamalan who sadly hasn't lived up to the promise here.

234. Ninja Scroll (1993)

An expertly suspenseful swords and sworcery samurai manga with some fantastic characters that are sadly not given enough screen time as one samurai goes out to battle a number of forms of evil. Essential cult viewing at its finest.

233. The Player (1992)

Tim Robbins is magnificent as the icy cold movie producer who finds himself knee deep in the murder of a screenwriter. Robert Altman's Hollywood satire has some brilliant cameos that add to the insider's look of the movie industry. A fascinating movie.

232.  Suspira (1977)

I think this is my only experience of Dario Argento. It's such an out-there, in-your-face horror movie thanks to its bonkers soundtrack and full on visual style that it's a strangely hypnotizing viewing experience. Totally bonkers, but brilliant.

231. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1999)

Another successful manga oddity that creates a link between Red Riding Hood and World War II. Bizarre, stylish and completely unique. Once again cult viewing at its finest here with some impressive hand drawn animation.

Post #: 18
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 10/1/2013 11:58:17 PM   
ElephantBoy

Some great choices this time

Six Sense I am a big fan of, think it has a chilling atmosphere, is a nicely told story, with a fine twist and three engaging performances.

The Player maybe Tim Robbin's fineist film, its superb.

Good on you for going with Susperia, it is a true original, brilliant designed and just unforgettable. Hope you check out other Argentos such as Deep Red, Cat O' Nine Tails and The Bird With the Crystal Plumege all are ace.

Post #: 19
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 11/1/2013 12:00:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Love The Sixth Sense.

Can't remember much about The Player but at the time I saw it I wasn't a big fan of Robert Altman.

Suspiria is awful!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 20
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 11/1/2013 10:07:01 AM   
AxlReznor

The Sixth Sense is great. I used to love Ninja Scroll as a kid, but rewatched it recently, and now don't really like it at all.

Post #: 21
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 11/1/2013 10:12:33 AM   
Rebel scum

The Sixth Sense is amazing
Suspiria is okay, it's got an enjoyably bonkers first half but then somebody mentions witches and the film falls apart.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 22
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 12/1/2013 1:04:12 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Love The Sixth Sense.

Can't remember much about The Player but at the time I saw it I wasn't a big fan of Robert Altman.

Suspiria is awful!

THE HELL IT IS! Your nuts.

Post #: 23
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 12/1/2013 2:24:03 AM   
Beetlejuice!

230. Naked (1993)

David Thewlis is pretty much astonishing in what is perhaps Mike Leigh's darkest, most brooding movie. A very bitter, but fascinating character leads this intense gloomy drama.

229. Hard Boiled (1992)

John Woo's last Hong Kong rough and ready outing, with typically stylish violence, guns, and Chow Yun-Fat.

228. Porco Rosso (1992)

Miyazaki's fascination with air travel is very much prevailent in this period fantasy anime about an Italian WWI pilot who is transformed into a part man, part pig. Contains a lot more adult themes than usual with a lovely downplayed central romance and Rosso is a brilliant character (well dubbed by Michael Keaton in the English version). Looking forward to the proposed sequel.

227. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

David Fincher's perfectly constructed adaptation of the popular novel improves on the original film version. With a tough lead heroine, well performed by Rooney Mara, this is a compelling , stylish thriller and easily one of the cinematic highlights of last year.

226. The Fall (2006)

One of the most beautiful films of the past decade, it may be very much style over substance but when the style is this mind bendingly hypnotic then who cares? Also contains a very natural child performance by the little girl who soaks up Lee Pace's story of a very unusual adventure.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 24
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 12/1/2013 8:14:43 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I absolutely love Mike Leigh films and yet I still haven't seen Naked
Not seen Hard Boiled in years. Is that the one with the baby?
Porco Rosso. The only film I ever gave up watching. I eventually finished it many moons later but it sucks as much as the rest of Ghibli.
Dragon Tattoo I really liked, but the Swedish version is better, even though Fincher did nail the ending.
The Fall's ace.

Much more better!

Post #: 25
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 12/1/2013 8:35:55 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Porco Rosso. The only film I ever gave up watching. I eventually finished it many moons later but it sucks as much as the rest of Ghibli.

Porco Rosso is one of my favourite Ghibli's.
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was great. Still haven't seen the original.

Post #: 26
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 12/1/2013 8:47:52 AM   
jiraffejustin

Gimli's stance on Ghibli is one of the weirder things in life.

Post #: 27
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 12/1/2013 8:55:07 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

Gimli's stance on Ghibli is one of the weirder things in life.

I know

To be fair, Gimli does like one or two of their films I think.

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 28
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 12/1/2013 9:00:53 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Only Yesterday is superb and Whisper Of The Heart's good too.

Much more better!

Post #: 29
RE: Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! - 12/1/2013 9:08:15 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Only Yesterday is superb and Whisper Of The Heart's good too.

And I haven't seen either of them, this is beginning to be a recurring theme Gimli

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Beetlejuice!'s Top 250 MOVIES! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI