Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

BT - Beyond a joke now

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> BT - Beyond a joke now Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BT - Beyond a joke now - 9/1/2013 6:07:31 PM   
Goodfella

For the better part of the last 2 years we have been experiencing a variety of problems with our BT package.

We currently have the complete BT Infinity package (albeit this was only after we were told the lesser package would cover all our needs including downloading and then received a ridiculous bill one month which we fought, won and were then upgraded to Infinity for free, we had no issue with going Infinity first off but BT gave us incorrect information regarding our account and followed their misleading advice) and that includes unlimited (and that is completely unlimited as it's the Infinity package, not the unlimited* you may get with other services) broadband, home hub, telephone services and full BT television package including the OnDemand services and the Sky Sports and ESPN services.

Our internet keeps cutting out on us, it is as frequent as it is infrequent. The only way to get it back is to reset the home hub (using the default button or switching the plug socket off and back on). All our computers show we are connected to the home hub and the wireless signal will also show internet service but it cannot connect to any pages. We have tried this with various different devices ranging from Macs to standard laptops to Blackberry to i-phones, some of those which belong to family and friends, and everyone experiences the same problems so we know it's not a device issue. I know that resetting the hub causes damage and will eventually fault the hub (we've had two replaced) already but it is the only way to get the internet back immediately, sometimes it will come back on it's own but that is never less than within the 5-6 hour range (I have timed it).

That effects our BT television services, On Demand does not work and BT recently changed their television setup (those customers out there who have this service will have noticed not just a facial change but also a change to the way the services operate). When resetting we can wait up to an hour for the On Demand services to return, the internet usually returns when the internet light goes blue straight away, it is not the same for On Demand. We have also ended up with part recordings and lost complete recordings when we've had to reset the Vision box.

We have been fighting BT about this for the better part of the last 2 years. We've also had problems with the Sky Sports channels, they lag and sometimes cut out altogether stating a "lack of signal" (I will get to that). That hasn't happened lately and tends to happen more during the summer months which I intially put down to high pressure until it happened frequently last winter.

I have had all manner of reasons and excuses from BT, ranging from the direction are aerial is pointed in for the Sky problem to engineering works taking place in our local area to an issue with the location of our house with regards to satellites, every excuse has contradicted the last one and I've come to the conclusion they're coached liars. As those of you who are current or former BT customers will know, their "customer service" helpline is located in India and if you make a call to one of their listed numbers and enquire about a service this is where you are directed too. They are reading from a script (asking them how their day is and they won't be able to answer you) and are not trained with regards to the technology behind BT services, they are often very polite at first but will do everything to deflect you away from the problem being something to do with BT. They will get you to disconnect and reconnect everything (I have done this 47 times in the last 24 months, I've kept count) but this does not work, rarely will they forward you to their BT engineering department, which's head offices are located in Scotland. I managed to recently obtain a direct number to this department and I have engineer coming tomorrow but I want to be able to get this guy to actually at least tell me what the problem is, but preferrably sort it. We are having a new hub fitted tomorrow but with this problem occuring with the previous three I do not believe it's a hub issue.

I have some suspicions as to what the issues maybe and wonder if there's anyone here who's experienced problems, knows of people who have or has expertise in this area and could maybe give me some ideas to discuss with the engineer coming tomorrow (who due to the conversations I have had recently I suspect is only coming to fob me off).

1) Could this be a connection issue with our telephone sockets? I have discussed this with a previous BT engineer and he said not.

2) Is it possible we live in a signal blackhole? I live in a small village in a Valley in North Devon. You cannot get vodaphone out here for example and I know other people who have suffered similar issues, although granted I don't know anyone else here with BT but I know we cannot currently obtain Sky because of the high-rising trees behind our house, and I believe the only other providers we could consider our Virgin Media and Talk Talk. Do 'signal blackholes' even exist and is there any way of finding out this kind of information about signals surrounding certain areas?

3) Any advice on how to approach this subject tomorrow? What can I watch for the engineer doing?
Is there anyone I can write to regarding this problem? I don't mean to sound vindictive but I and everyone here wants the problem sorted and we are getting nowhere fast at the moment.

Thanks in advance to anyone for advice and suggestions.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 1
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 9/1/2013 10:52:23 PM   
paulyboy

With regards to the internet cutting out and a reset being required, I've had similar problems with BT both at home and at work. In short (in my experience at least) their home/business hubs are shite. I went through a record 7 hubs in one year at work, lost my rag eventually and went and bought a third party modem/router, haven't had to reset anything since, that was a year ago. Same story at home as well, hub(s) kept requiring a reset, so I swapped it out for a D-Link one and haven't had a single problem since.

Assuming for a second you have the same problem, a new router will solve your on demand issues I'd imagine, as for the channels that come down the aerial, totally possible to be in a dead spot, I'm in one now, freeview is a frequent no go, fortunately Sky works a treat though, probably why every house in our village has a dish.

Obviously it could be something else mind you, but for the sake of a £35 router, that's definitely where I would look to first.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 9/1/2013 10:57:22 PM >

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 2
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 10/1/2013 1:33:57 AM   
Goodfella

I must say, although probably not for you, it's reassuring to find someone else in the same position so thank you!

I will definitely look into that, if the engineer can't do anything long-term tomorrow. I suspect he will fit the new hub, it will work fine for a couple of weeks and then the problems will start again which is what we had last time, also they've sent the hub to our addresss and we have it already, they wanted me to fit the hub before the engineer comes out so they could cancel the appointment but I denied knowledge of how to fit a hub even though I know it's a very simple task so it forces the engineer to come out here, these are the lengths I've had to go to to get to come someone out. They also told me they've sent the latest model of hub to help improve the faults, I found out this was false several days ago when the hub arrived as my friend who is also a BT customer has the same hub as the new one we were sent and she obtained it 2 years ago and we've been sent newer models since!

Mind if I ask where you got your router from, I may as well go for the same model if it's solved your problems with BT. Thanks for your helpful advice!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 3
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 10/1/2013 11:07:23 AM   
paulyboy

It all sounds very familiar, went through the exact same process at work, the engineer came out eventually, immedtiately took one look at the router and went and got another new one from his van, it all worked fine for a few weeks and then the thing went tits up again. Happened again and again and again. On their last visit the engineer basically confided in me that the Business hubs were absolute garbage, so I went and got a new one. As soon as it started happening at home I didn't even hesitate, just went and bought a new router.

The model I bought was a D-Link TD -W8961ND, I have the older revision which they don't sell anymore, but you can get the new model from Amazon here: Clicky!

Like I said, it might not be the problem, but given the ball-ache you're going through it has to be worth a shot for £34.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 10/1/2013 5:58:06 PM   
Goodfella

The engineeer came today (turned out to be an old friend of mine which didn't help cause I wanted to have a dig or two!), he did some checks, couldn't find any faults with the line so changed a couple of the telephone sockets to BT ones (something he said the last engineer should have done) and then left me to fit the new hub which I've done and now the internet is slower than with the previous hub and it's cut on me twie since I installed it today at midday so I may as well have just stuck with the old one, at least with that one that whilst it cut out the speed when it was working was reliable.

Thanks for the links to the routers, may as well give them a go as our last shot before just giving up altogether. My mate did pretty much admit to me today as well that some of the hub models have had real problems, he says there's only two he knows of but there are at least four or five different designs, although that might just be the design of hub and in fact there's only two different chips.

Who knows anymore!

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 5
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 10/1/2013 9:08:15 PM   
Goodfella

So, guess what? My sister calls me up 10 minutes ago, she's been trying to call on the landline for the last ten minutes and has been unable to get through. Since the engineer left I hadn't tried the landline, and neither did he, I've had no reason too but I have now and I've just learnt that it's now not working. None of the three phones we have in the house have a dialling tone yet the internet appears to be fine. I can only assume when he was doing his duties earlier he's not re-connected something properly.

Now that does irk me, but it can be easily corrected I'm sure. What fucks me off to the high heavens is I've just used up all my credit to call the BT call centre to be accused by one of their Indian workers with a fake English name that no engineeer has visited us today and it must be an internal fault, as in, caused by us. I fucking lost it and I'm not ashamed to say it.

So I've emailed the customer service asistant over here who's been helping us, granted not a lot has improved with him but at least he knows we did have an engineer come visit us and he booked it with me on the phone.

If I ever speak to "John" again, it'll never come too soon for him.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 14/1/2013 6:39:51 PM   
Goodfella

Just about 5 days on now and still no phone. Repeated attempts over the weekend to resolve the problem have failed and BT Openreach said the best they could offer was "an engineer to visit on the 17 January or after." That's this Friday, that'll be almost 10 days without no landline. The internet continues to drop-out to the point of where I sometimes I just use the general BT wi-fi log-in as it works faster and the OnDemand service is virtually dead, we're lucky if we get it for 20 minutes a day.

I'm beyond pissed off with it now, BT say the offer of a date from BT Openreach is "unacceptable" and they will do everything they can to resolve this for us, two days on and we don't have a phone call or an e-mail from them so as of tomorrow evening it may as well just stay the 17th.

If anyone is reading this and considering going with BT I would strongly urge against it, talk to Sky or Virgin Media. I fully intend to go on the BT community forums and inform everyone there of the same thing too.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 14/1/2013 6:40:20 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 7
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 14/1/2013 11:51:56 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

A quick check, though I hope BT have already suggested this to you. Since the engineer left have you made sure your router/hub and any phone connected to your landline sockets are all going through micro filters and that none of the micro filter cables/connections are loose.

Without the filters being installed properly your landline won't work, and it would also cause Internet problems.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 8
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 12:40:00 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

A quick check, though I hope BT have already suggested this to you. Since the engineer left have you made sure your router/hub and any phone connected to your landline sockets are all going through micro filters and that none of the micro filter cables/connections are loose.

Without the filters being installed properly your landline won't work, and it would also cause Internet problems.

Yep, thanks for the tip but I'd already done that. Disconnected and reconnected everything as well and double checked again and as far as I can tell, without actually being an engineer myself, that everything is fine.

But just to say that was something I thought of anyway when we discovered the problem. BT never suggested anything and their contact this evening said they were escalating the matter with Openreach but that was a phone message on a mobile they know suffers signal problems which is interesting given previous contact has been by e-mail during the day. Sounds like someone's running out of answers....

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 15/1/2013 12:41:25 AM >

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 9
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 1:40:17 PM   
Moorish

If you've been unahppy for two years why don't you just leave them?

You'd have to go Virgin though. All the other companies use BT lines, and there is evidence to suggest BT give optimum service to their own customers.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 10
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 1:52:25 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moorish

and there is evidence to suggest BT give optimum service to their own customers.

I think, looking at Goodfellas experience that is a long way from the truth!

That sounds appalling Fella. I'd definitely be looking chosing a different provider after that service.

I had a problem with my landline after changing over to Sky and it was a problem that OpenReach had to resolve. Sky made sure they came out to me as fast as possible and they did, came out within 2 days and fixed the issue. Sky aren't going to take any crap from BT as it affects their reputation. So it doesn't have to be Virgin (I realise I maybe slightly biased) but that is the other option

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 11
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 3:29:28 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

and there is evidence to suggest BT give optimum service to their own customers.

That sounds appalling Fella. I'd definitely be looking chosing a different provider after that service.

I had a problem with my landline after changing over to Sky and it was a problem that OpenReach had to resolve. Sky made sure they came out to me as fast as possible and they did, came out within 2 days and fixed the issue. Sky aren't going to take any crap from BT as it affects their reputation. So it doesn't have to be Virgin (I realise I maybe slightly biased) but that is the other option

Hobbs is getting a good bonus.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 12
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 3:37:41 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I left BT recently after 8 years of custom (the broadband was only 1Mb when I started) due to the fact my broadband kept dropping intermittently. This effectively caused me to stop playing games online (one of the main reasons I got broadband in the first place) altogether as there was no point risking it. I'd tried buying new routers, new cables, new filters and everything yet BT insisted it was a problem at my end and therefore my responsibility. They basically told me they could send over an ebgineer but if it transpired that the problem was indeed mine then it would have cost me a stupid amount of money for the callout fee. In the end I told them to fuck off and swapped over to Sky. It pissed me off having to change provider, not because of any hassle (Sky took care of everything) but because my download speeds with BT were astronomical for the area (living about 150 metres from the exchange helps) and I didn't really want to risk losing that.

Anyway since changing over to Sky my download speeds have dipped a bit but my broadband hasn't dropped once, in 4 months, proving once and for all (to my mind anyway) that BT are a bunch of lying , lazy dickwads. I don't regret swapping over at all even if things take a minute or two longer to download (something I find myself doing with far less frequency thanks to the advent of things like Lovefilm streaming, Sky Go etc anyway).

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 13
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 4:50:49 PM   
Chief

Sorry to go against the grain but I've had great service from BT for the past 5 years or so, including a house move. Currently getting unlimited broadband, phone and line rental for £28pm. They offered my Infinity but it's a bit of a jump to £40pm. My contract is up next month so I'll try for a deal on Infinity to match what I'm paying.
My only gripe with BT is that they throttle P2P sites at peak times.

Sky are doing a deal just now as well but I've heard horror stories (sorry Hobbs!). I think every company has horror stories and it's generally those that you hear over the commendations.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 14
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 5:01:14 PM   
Hobbitonlass

No worries Chief (ban? )

I've heard horror stories as well, from all providers. Everyone has them. I'm lucky that I have never had a problem with Sky and Virgin before that. In fact, to be honest, the only reason I moved to Sky was because I started working for them . I'm glad I did though as I love Sky Go

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 15
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 5:53:44 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

If you've been unahppy for two years why don't you just leave them?

You'd have to go Virgin though. All the other companies use BT lines, and there is evidence to suggest BT give optimum service to their own customers.

Because we have been in contracts over these two years with BT, and you can't just leave a contract without being in default and then having them chasing you through debt collectors, yes it was quite clear they are in breach of their contract given the lack of service they have provided and the discouragement they have shown in trying to resolve a long-standing issue but you try proving this, we are looking into this at the moment but it's a very tricky situation. I already know Virgin use BT which is why we haven't switched to them and we can't get Sky because we live in front of woodland and wouldn't be able to reach the signal for the channels we want, we've already looked into that.

"there is evidence to suggest BT give optimum service to their customers"

This sounds intriguing. Do you work for BT or do you have family or friends who do? Surely you've read all my posts, you think I'm exaggerating the truth? Would you be happy with this services or with the lack of answers given the way it's been pursued? If you go online and research these issues you'll find plenty of BT customers, both past and present, who suffer from these and other issues and perhaps, more importantly, the lack of resolve on BT's part to find a solution to their problems. I'd like to know how this is an "optimum service"?

quote:

We are in the processes of having some trees cut down at the back, I know that sounds absolutely appalling but we're not talking about stripping down trees here, we're talking about cutting down branches in certain locations that are actually threatening our row of houses anyway, especially during dangerous weather conditions. But like I say above, the issue of the contract is one that is going to cause the main problems.

I have heard nothing but good things about Sky and had Sky in the house I was living in when I was studuing in London. They were helpful and efficent, when they didn't have a Sky engineer to deal with the one problem we actually experienced, they subcontracted the work out to local electrical engineers. We reported the problem at 5pm on a Saturday evening and it was dealt with and sorted within three hours. Granted that's in London and we obviously live in Devon now where it will be different but we're talking here about problems seriously effecting our service that have existed now for the better part of 2 years, the latest problem with the phone which I've come to the conclusion was basic human error on the engineer's part is now taking over a week to resolve.

Post #: 16
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 5:59:04 PM   
elab49

If you have services that don't work (like On Demand) or have significant issues (like your internet) then I don't think the contract issue is as complicated as you say. Write them a letter laying out the issues, the details you've kept. State they have, say, a month to sort it or you will consider them in breach of contract. Trading Standards/Citizen Advice probably have standard letters for this stuff. 2 years is far too long. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 17
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 6:11:56 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

If you have services that don't work (like On Demand) or have significant issues (like your internet) then I don't think the contract issue is as complicated as you say. Write them a letter laying out the issues, the details you've kept. State they have, say, a month to sort it or you will consider them in breach of contract. Trading Standards/Citizen Advice probably have standard letters for this stuff. 2 years is far too long. 

Thanks for the tip, funnily enough that's write what we're in the middle of doing, we've been researching it today, well when the internet hasn't been dropping out anyway! We're going to send the letter on Thursday because with regards to the phone issue that will have been existing for 7 days which I think is an unacceptable timeframe given how important a landline phone is, especially in an area where mobile phone is signal is weak and you're being charged per 28 days, what if we needed to contact the emergency services for example?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 6:12:51 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle
BT insisted it was a problem at my end and therefore my responsibility. They basically told me they could send over an ebgineer but if it transpired that the problem was indeed mine then it would have cost me a stupid amount of money for the callout fee. In the end I told them to fuck off and swapped over to Sky.

I had a similar problem over Christmas, no landline at all, no internet through the main connection. BT telling me over and over that the line going into the house was fine, with the same deal about the callout fee. Finally got an engineer appointment, when he came out he discovered straight away that the problem was actually on the pole and the line going in, not in my house.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 19
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 6:21:10 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle
BT insisted it was a problem at my end and therefore my responsibility. They basically told me they could send over an ebgineer but if it transpired that the problem was indeed mine then it would have cost me a stupid amount of money for the callout fee. In the end I told them to fuck off and swapped over to Sky.

I had a similar problem over Christmas, no landline at all, no internet through the main connection. BT telling me over and over that the line going into the house was fine, with the same deal about the callout fee. Finally got an engineer appointment, when he came out he discovered straight away that the problem was actually on the pole and the line going in, not in my house.

Was that this Christmas just gone? Because in the month of November and early December BT informed customers in certain areas that "they would be updating their lines" and this may cause certain service problems but only over a one day period, the e-mail specified a date in our case. Anyway we suffered another problem with our landline then as according to the person we spoke to one the phone "they updated us to the wrong server on the line" and we were also left without a dialling tone and waited 10 days for them to come and resolve the problem. This seems to be commonplace with BT the more and more I look into other people's experiences.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 8:29:02 PM   
rawlinson

Yeah, we finally got reconnected a day or two after Boxing Day. To be fair, the engineer was great. He realised the problem was outside the property straight away and had it fixed in about 10/15 minutes. It was the call centre that was the problem, insisting they were doing line checks and the line was fine.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 21
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 15/1/2013 8:59:04 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Yeah, we finally got reconnected a day or two after Boxing Day. To be fair, the engineer was great. He realised the problem was outside the property straight away and had it fixed in about 10/15 minutes. It was the call centre that was the problem, insisting they were doing line checks and the line was fine.

Most of the engineers we've had out here have been pretty decent, they seem clueless about the problem but they also seem to be handcuffed by the company as to what procedures they can go through on each visit, as the one last week said to me "it could be the exchange but BT won't let me explore that until I've explored all other eventualities", he said that with a distinct tone of frustration in his voice as well, as for whatever's happened with the phone I've put it down to human error and everyone makes mistakes, my issue is mainly that BT and Openreach don't find it fitting to get an engineer out to solve the problem in a suitable amount of time. Ah yes, the "line checks." I'm not even sure these are true, if you ring the call centre and press 2 for a problem with your telephone line they leave you on hold whilst your spending your mobile phone credit to do these line tests and I'm not even sure how honest or accurate these tests are and you tend to get the same answer in my experience, that they can't detect a fault so it must be internal even before Christmas when it turned out that it was actually their fault, which was clearly your experience too rawlinson.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 22
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 17/5/2013 6:55:42 PM   
Goodfella

BT have just informed me that from June 10th they will be pulling the plug on Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 service they offer and replacing them with two new sports channels. I am a huge cricket fan (in case you haven't already guessed) and this of monumental disappointment and frustration too me, especially given all the problems I've encountered so far, that are still not resolved by the way and now, it appears, that the issue may all along have been the exchange (relating to Sky Sports and their "supposed" decision to end the contract) but yet having appeared to know this problem it has taken them 3 years to inform us, whilst continuing to debit our bank account for a service they could not provide and then just killing it dead, leaving us without half of what we signed up for in the first place and having just wasted months upon months trying to sort this problem out and having spent a lot of time and money to deal with it.

Needless to say, I am disgusted and in the process of informing Trading Standards.

Here's the post to further explain that I have posted on the BT Forums:

quote:

I would like to start by stating this will be a bit of an essay but I hope anyone who opens this thread up takes the time and consideration to read and takes it on-board, I am particurlarly aiming that at prospective BT customers who may be here to consider taking up a contract with BT, I strongly urge you to NOT DO THIS and to use my experience as the leading reason why.

We have been BT customers since we moved into our current property back in 2003, we have the current full package on offer, BT Infinity, with the Sky Sports and ESPN upgrades and the full On Demand and Broadband services. We have experienced numerous problems over the past three to four years with connectivity issues. The broadband drops in and out all the time, it's hard to put a level of consistency on this but on some days it can drop out 25-30 times, it can happen a lot at the weekend some weeks or weekdays on the others or both, the timing varies, it doesn't appear to be reflective of particurlar weather conditions, not that this should really matter anyway but we've been investigating all possible lines of enquiry as to why the problems keep happening, by my calculation we've had 18 engineers out to visit the property, I myself, and this does not include the other numerous phone calls made by fellow family members, have called and reported the problem to BT at least 50 times in this time period, I've taken days off work to wait for engineers, I've unplugged and reset my hub more times than I care to remember, we've had the hub itself replaced four times, the Vision box replaced twice, the lines re-routed through our house twice and more e-mails and letters than I reckon President Barack Obama sends in one year in office!

And so far, to date, and I am talking about in the last five days, the problem still exists! The only way to get the connection back is to turn the hub off and back on again, or use the reset button, which we all know disrupts the hub and often results in further faults down the line, I would love to not have to do this but given we're paying for 24/7 internet access I should not have to sit around waiting, in most cases, up to 3-4 hours for the signal to return to the hub by itself (I know, I've timed it, something else I've wated much of my own time doing). The lights don't flash or change colour on the hub either when this problem occurs (the hub should register lack of connection, with the lights going from blue to either flashing blue or, in most cases, red, just for the record they stay blue but we have used various devices in this house ranging from state-of-the-art, brand-new laptops to tablets to i-phones to desktops and the problem occurs the same for everyone so before I get one of the many excuses I've already had from BT that it's a potential "device problem" you can forget that one, been there, done that!).

I have urged, and urged, and urged the engineers, the people I speak to one the phone, the personal advisors our case has been passed on too, to look at potential problems outside our property i.e. the exchange. This has been rebuffed time and time again. "It's not the problem sir, the problem is here sir, the problem is not our fault sir" etc. etc. etc. Well, guess what....

We've just received a phone call informing us that, from June 10th in our area, due to issues with the exchange being able to hold the signal, Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 will no longer be avaliable on our BT package. As huge cricket fans, from a personal perspective, first off, this is infuriating. The person we spoke too also claimed Sky have "pulled the plug" on the package so, also, I'm a little confused as too which is the actual issue here resulting in the loss of Sky Sports? That you've known all along that there has been problem in my local area with the exchange and the signal it can hold, or that Sky have pulled the rights to their sports package? Or perhaps that you spent £757 million recently on a new TV rights package for Premiership football for two new BT Sports channels (those ones you see currently advertised, on, of all channels, Sky Sports 1 and 2!) and actually are just quite happy to cut customers out who have lined your pockets with substantial monthly fees for programming you knew full well didn't work when you first signed contracts with Sky to pick it up, and then distributed to customers? Are you seriously telling me after, by my calculation, three years, you didn't know Sky Sports 1 and 2 didn't work in my local area, yet carried on debiting bank accounts, advertising the channels, supplying them and then, now, with less than a month's notice, you've pulled the plug? That takes me right back to the title of my message - absolutely disgraceful.

I should make it clear at this point we have experienced problems with BT Vision too, albeit not lately, thank God, although that is not to say the problems wouldn't return. Signal dropping in and out, screen crackling and dropping out, black screens frequently on SS1, SS2 and ESPN etc. As for the On Demand service, that is obviously effected by the hub signal dropping in and out, the Vision box also does not appear to correlate with the hub when the signal returns and remains offline for a further amount of time, even when it is disconnected and then reconnected. It is constantly buffering too when the signal is low. Also, one other, far more minor point, you've been advertising 'red button coming soon' now for about three months!? I don't know what your definition of 'coming soon' is, but it's not the same as mine I can assure you, and I'm willing to bet quite a few others too!

Can you give me a good reason why I shouldn't report you too Trading Standards for misleading and false advertising? For 3 years you've been selling us a Sky Sports package you know full well won't work properly in our local area, I don't blame you for Sky's monpoly on sport, but perhaps you can explain to me why you've given two answers that completely contradict each other to the future dealings with Sky Sports in our local area? Why have you not addressed the issues with the exchange for our connectivity problems, despite the fact your now claiming it is what is probably attributed to causing our issues with the two sports channels? Also, I have worked in customer service jobs and I know people wind the heck out of you on some days, but a significant portion of your "customer advisors" are rude and ignorant. You ring the freephone number, your on hold for half-a-century, you get put through to the call-centre in Bombay and you are treated with contempt, I actually feel sorry for the people who work out there, they are clearly reading from a script and lack in clear English Language skills, which is not their fault, it's yours. As for anyone who takes dispute with that, go and ask them a question next time like "how is your day?" They won't answer, they can't, it's not on their call sheet. The few I have dealt with who have clear use of the language are, as I said, rude and ignorant, often accusing me, quite clearly, of lying and of having not reported the problem, for me then to find out a later date when I speak to the technical deparment and to BT Openreach (and yes, I know they are two seperate companies) that date is not transferred correctly between the two which is why whoever you speak too in the call-centre usually only has a last referral point for you from some years ago, it's also quite clearly a deflection manouvre to keep you away from actually getting your problem resolved, paying Openreach to dispatch engineers if required and so you don't clog up the minimal amount of contactable phone numbers for the average customer that are based in the UK.

Failure to receive a suitable and acceptable answer to my queries will result in me having no other option but to consider taking the matter further, I am also inclined now to make it my work between now and the date of June 10th to persuade everyone I know and they know to stay as far away from your company as possible and the "services" you claim to provide.

Also, as huge cricket, and for that matter, NFL fans, maybe you should consider that many sports-viewers in this country aren't just about football. Yes I know that's where the money lies but there is profit to be made from other sports ventures too, I don't think you realize just how many fans you are leaving out in the cold over this move, the whole reason we, and we are just one example, subscribed to the Sky Sports package was for the cricket, and for the NFL. Two sports that are entirely monopolized by Sky, yes I realize, as I state earlier, that's not your fault, but why don't you show a bit of interest in them then? Why don't you be slightly different, you have over £700 million to spend on Premiership football but little else? If you want to attract more customers and build larger profit margins, you have to be more diverse and explore new options and directions to do this.

I'm sure some will say, "why not get Sky?" Well unfortunately we can't due to our location but at least Sky were up-front and honest enough to tell us this when they first came to do a consultation, one, that by the way, we had as a secondary option to BT due to the attractions of the On Demand package, that then wasn't offered by Sky. How sad it's come too this and what an awful way to treat loyal customers who have upgraded to the packages you have offered in all innocence to obtain a better and more fruitful service? Customers who have never been late with payments either and used the likes of the Box office service for both movies and music (when the latter was chargable) as well, the money you have had off us, and that is what we've received in return and yet, perhaps, the poorest reflection on us, is we have stuck it for so long, but we are at the end of our tethers now and utterly furious at the decisions we've learned today that I am going to ensure we get to the bottom of this.

Thank you for taking the time to read, what I appreciate, is a lengthy message. I didn't want to have to write this but it was the only way of making our problems and feelings clear, and I wanted to include everything so as not too mislead anyone myself.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 23
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 20/5/2013 6:15:43 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Just ordered BT Infinity as it was cheaper than upgrading my Sky broadband to fibre. I also get the BT Sports channel for free! Great stuff!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 24
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 20/5/2013 9:28:17 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Just ordered BT Infinity as it was cheaper than upgrading my Sky broadband to fibre. I also get the BT Sports channel for free! Great stuff!

You getting Sky Sports too, I take it you live in an area where your exchange is multicast then?

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 25
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 24/5/2013 11:54:48 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I have no idea what this means.

I get Sky Sports through Sky

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 26
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 24/5/2013 12:45:54 PM   
Chief

quote:

It's decent if you download stuff off-peak or have the unlimited but I've found it a bit sketchy compared to the regular BT broadband I had. Just not been as stable.

Makes no difference to your Xbox update download speeds by the way.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 27
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 24/5/2013 1:24:10 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

It's decent if you download stuff off-peak or have the unlimited but I've found it a bit sketchy compared to the regular BT broadband I had. Just not been as stable.

Makes no difference to your Xbox update download speeds by the way.

Huh? I'd get in touch with BT, standard ADSL i.e. non fibre optic broadband is the unstable option with speeds never guaranteed. Fibre Optic broadband should be a constant speed.

And of course an increase in bandwidth increases the speed of your downloads from Xbox LIVE, their servers uplink speeds do of course make a difference however MS are big enough and have enough servers that this shouldn't be an issue.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 28
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 24/5/2013 2:47:59 PM   
Harry Tuttle

BT Infinity is distributed down the existing copper wire though. I don't know if that's the case nationwide but it certainly is the case round here.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 29
RE: BT - Beyond a joke now - 24/5/2013 6:28:13 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

The only copper cabling should be that from the FTTC box (the green metal boxes you see) to your house. The rest is the fibre optics, whilst not an ideal situation this should have minimal effect on stability of your line as that copper cabling won't be being shared by many houses, or dependent on where you live, any other houses at all. It also depends how far from the FTTC box your house is, but in theory even if it is quite a stretch its not that much in the grand scheme of things.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> BT - Beyond a joke now Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI