Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: HMV Administration?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: HMV Administration? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 11:17:13 PM   
gtrekker

Just attempting to go onto HMV's website and it keeps crashing every couple of minutes. Looks like their 25% sale hasnt been too popular either, looking at the online items they still seem to be expensive with the discount applied compared to Amazon

''Due to the sad state of TV shows at the moment it's a good thing there are TV DVD boxsets''

my youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/thegtrekker?feature=mhee

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 61
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 12:24:00 AM   
theoriginalcynic

It's the last major retailer where I live, now they'll be nothing but pound shops and birthday shops. Sad times.

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 62
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 12:32:42 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I can't go into an HMV without not buying anything. Just for the sake of it I usually always check online afterwards and at most I've only ever paid 1.25 more than I would have on Amazon and the like, and usually end up paying less. It's great to be able to actually see what you're buying so you know if it's in a slipcase, or if the discs are all ratting around inside (not the first time I've ordered online and had to return because they've been bashed about inside the case) and it's lovely to go home on the day, purchases in hand.

True, some of their prices are excessive (the nearest store to me has had the same copy of Berlin Alexanderplatz for about 4 years now, I'm not surprised as it's 65) but there are plenty of bargains to be had. And one of the great joys is the ability to browse the shelves and come across either long forgotten films I'd like to watch again or stuff I'd never heard of. Doing the same on a website is an impractical chore, as such I only ever buy films online if I'm after a specific item.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 15/1/2013 12:33:10 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 63
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 1:54:32 AM   
gtrekker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I can't go into an HMV without not buying anything. Just for the sake of it I usually always check online afterwards and at most I've only ever paid 1.25 more than I would have on Amazon and the like, and usually end up paying less. It's great to be able to actually see what you're buying so you know if it's in a slipcase, or if the discs are all ratting around inside (not the first time I've ordered online and had to return because they've been bashed about inside the case) and it's lovely to go home on the day, purchases in hand.

True, some of their prices are excessive (the nearest store to me has had the same copy of Berlin Alexanderplatz for about 4 years now, I'm not surprised as it's 65) but there are plenty of bargains to be had. And one of the great joys is the ability to browse the shelves and come across either long forgotten films I'd like to watch again or stuff I'd never heard of. Doing the same on a website is an impractical chore, as such I only ever buy films online if I'm after a specific item.

Totally agree, its so much better to be able to physically browse through the countless DVDs and blu-rays rather than staring at a computer screen for ages going through pages and pages only to be greeted by the front cover snapshot of the items, much better to be able to see first hand in the case of TV shows for me especially whether the set will match the rest in my collection.

But like I mentioned earlier the prices over the past few years has meant that go to HMV less often than I used to be, but I agree that recently with the whole 3 for 20 and 5 for 30 sale on blu-rays there have been some great selections.

''Due to the sad state of TV shows at the moment it's a good thing there are TV DVD boxsets''

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 64
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 9:33:10 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: gtrekker

Totally agree, its so much better to be able to physically browse through the countless DVDs and blu-rays rather than staring at a computer screen for ages going through pages and pages only to be greeted by the front cover snapshot of the items, much better to be able to see first hand in the case of TV shows for me especially whether the set will match the rest in my collection.

But there's the problem for some, myself included. My local HMV has never exactly stocked "countless DVDs". Depends on the size of the store, I guess.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 65
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 9:37:17 AM   
gtrekker

Just saw the news HMV are not accepting gift cards, vouchers etc no more

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 66
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 9:57:18 AM   
elab49

I think quite a few people were making online orders with them the minute the initial news of the meeting leaked out yesterday. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 67
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 10:11:33 AM   
UTB

quote:

Just saw the news HMV are not accepting gift cards, vouchers etc no more

An announcement is due apparently with what can be done with them... don't chuck 'em yet.

Its a sad thing, mainly for the employees, but also for anyone who like me enjoys spending long amounts of time in there browsing.

That said, their prices vs their internet prices may always bothered me. Last Christmas I remember going in there hoping to buy a new release Blu Ray and it was a full 9 more in store than it was online (on their site). I appreciate things will always be a little more expensive but that took the biscuit.

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 68
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 10:30:56 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Couldn't beleave the news when I heard it. Feel so sorry for the poor people who work their arses off in their. I think the only chance they've got left is to get rid of 80-90% of their stores & just hope they can at least keep some sort of business no matter how much more streamlined going.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 69
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 10:53:04 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Very sad news

My local HMV (in Uxbridge) was always rammed with people. One of those shops where I always went in, even if I didn't want anything (although invariably I would come out with one of the 2 for 5 or 3 for 10 offers). Will miss browsing about the place.

Yes, I buy the majority of Blu Rays on Amazon and get my music via iTunes but there is nothing like browsing through physical discs as others have said and coming home with a purchase in hand.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 70
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 12:04:45 PM   
Brundlesflies

Sad news indeed - especially for all those directly impacted by the very real possibilty of job losses.

On a personal note, while it's really sad to see HMV likely to close the majority of their high street stores, I must be honest and say it's been an age since I actually bought anything from one of them. Now that's partly due to the fact that my circumstances have changed and I no longer visit town as much as I used to, which is coupled with the ease and cheapness of online shopping for me.

However, HMV will always hold a special place in my affections - it was their store in Leicester that first opened me up to the reality of building a video collection, whether I could afford it as a student is another matter! And they then also nurtured my burgeoning DVD collection with their oh-so-tempting 3 for 15/20 offers (the hours I spent pacing backwards and forwards clutching 2 dvds, desperately searching for that elusive 3rd that would justify the expense )
There really is no substitute for being able to browse through ranks of films in the flesh, so to speak; although the online experience is improving, it can still prove a frustrating process.
Like many have said tho, I just don't think HMV were able to challenge the likes of Amazon and the supermarkets effectively and as more and more people move to a downloadable future, they were always going to struggle. The vastly inflated prices on non-sale products can't have helped much though - 27 for a DVD that's been out for years? I don't think so!

Still sad news and my heart really does go out to those directly affected by this.

< Message edited by Brundlesflies -- 15/1/2013 12:06:58 PM >

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 71
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 3:26:27 PM   
mutronics

How can the last physical shop that sell dvds blu ray and music not make money and be closing?

Where is everyone going to buy from? It wont be Play.com.

I don't like Amazon, how depressing...

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 72
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 5:48:11 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Apparently they are "confident of finding a solution": http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21023016

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to mutronics)
Post #: 73
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 5:54:24 PM   
elab49

Peston thinks music and film releasing companies have a vested interest in keeping a high st presence alive so also thinks there will be a form of survival.

I wonder if they could share premises with Waterstones?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 74
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 8:02:24 PM   
Scruffybobby

Doesn't look good,

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 75
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 8:06:07 PM   
MonsterCat

Getting this thread back to Play for just a moment, why are they promoting pre-orders for Twilight Breaking Dawn 2 when they're shutting down their direct sales arm?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 76
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 8:09:41 PM   
elab49

Maybe it's later in March they're closing? 

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 77
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 8:10:00 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Getting this thread back to Play for just a moment, why are they promoting pre-orders for Twilight Breaking Dawn 2 when they're shutting down their direct sales arm?

I got an email from HMV this morning touting their "bluray and dvd exclusives"

including a Skyfall steelbook - which I ordered a couple of weeks back - not overly confident or getting that now

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 78
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 8:10:51 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Maybe it's later in March they're closing?

Thought it was in February they were closing.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 15/1/2013 8:11:16 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 79
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 8:16:32 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

including a Skyfall steelbook - which I ordered a couple of weeks back - not overly confident or getting that now

I've got the Skyfall steelbook ordered from HMV. Yay!

quote:

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 80
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 8:38:38 PM   
gtrekker

quote:

quote:

quote:

I cancelled my pre order for the Resident Evil Retribution blu-ray steelbook last night, glad I did now

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 81
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 8:46:44 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I cancelled my pre order for the Resident Evil Retribution blu-ray steelbook last night, glad I did now

I've got the Looper steelbook pre-ordered.

As far as I was aware, they don't take the money until the item ships? So why does it matter if you have the order in?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 82
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 8:57:28 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

But like I mentioned earlier the prices over the past few years has meant that go to HMV less often than I used to be, but I agree that recently with the whole 3 for 20 and 5 for 30 sale on blu-rays there have been some great selections.

This. Or 'these' perhaps I should say?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 83
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 8:57:53 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

As far as I was aware, they don't take the money until the item ships? So why does it matter if you have the order in?

That's true, but it's a great looking box and it would have looked nice on my shelf.

Post #: 84
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 9:14:18 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

That's true, but it's a great looking box and it would have looked nice on my shelf.

Well, I understand that! But at least you won't be losing money on it.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 85
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 9:17:44 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

For anyone interested in the Looper steelbook, it has now cropped up on Amazon at the more expensive price of 20.99

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 86
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 10:10:11 PM   
mutronics

Great. Amazon.... Not much choice really. Hows that for progress? Ugh...

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 87
RE: HMV Administration? - 15/1/2013 10:23:41 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, I understand that! But at least you won't be losing money on it.

Thing is the site's down so I can't cancel the order - I might not need to but then again they may honour all outstanding orders. Should I order off amazon or zavvi meantime? Hopefully will find out sooner rather than later.

Post #: 88
RE: HMV Administration? - 16/1/2013 1:50:17 AM   
theoriginalcynic

That's a good point! Maybe Amazon will slam their prices up now.

Post #: 89
RE: HMV Administration? - 16/1/2013 2:28:44 AM   
gtrekker

After Play.com and HMV close (if HMV does indeed totally close) would it be safe to say that Amazon's prices might decline slightly due to there being less competition?

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: HMV Administration? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI