Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Play.com

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Play.com Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Play.com - 10/1/2013 11:15:31 AM   
paulyboy

I honestly can't recall ever having a problem with Play, funnily enough I've just ordered Captain America on Blu-Ray from there since Amazon (despite saying it was in stock at the time) have still failed to dispatch a copy after nearly 4 weeks from the original order. HMV wanted a patently ludicrous 27 for it, so Play.com it was!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 31
RE: Play.com - 10/1/2013 1:28:24 PM   
rich

I looked on there and it's now "Raktugen Group ..... Play.com" or something. Remember when it was Play247.com? Thats the last time they offered good service.

< Message edited by rich -- 10/1/2013 1:29:27 PM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 32
RE: Play.com - 10/1/2013 2:14:54 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

I looked on there and it's now "Raktugen Group ..... Play.com" or something. Remember when it was Play247.com? Thats the last time they offered good service.

It was bought in 2011... http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/sep/21/playcom-sold-rakuten-japan

Play were great when I first started buying DVDs online, then they slowly got slower and slower at delivering and I moved to Amazon prime. The prospect of ordering Friday afternoon and it arriving Sat morning was just too good.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 33
RE: Play.com - 11/1/2013 12:26:58 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

I honestly can't recall ever having a problem with Play, funnily enough I've just ordered Captain America on Blu-Ray from there since Amazon (despite saying it was in stock at the time) have still failed to dispatch a copy after nearly 4 weeks from the original order. HMV wanted a patently ludicrous 27 for it, so Play.com it was!

This has always been my problem with HMV: much as I'd love to use their site more - or even buy from their retail stores - unless the product you want is in a sale at the time, they charge a ridiculous amount for it. There's no way that Blu Ray ever cost them close to 27 from the supplier. From memory of my time at another DVD retailer, it would maybe cost 15 - 20 on release, and my employer was a much smaller company than HMV. I also ordered something last year that the site said was in stock but my order confirmation said was a couple of weeks away. That's just shoddy customer service / IT.

That being said, it'd be a shame if they do go under, especially as a physical store. I really like browsing in the Trafford Centre store while the wife looks for clothes next door.

Back to Play: they were my main source of DVDs and games but seemed to change significantly when Rakuten took over and I can't quite put my finger on how. I don't think the novelty "fun" tat they started selling in droves helped that. A few unnecessarily long waits for my orders finally put me off using them though.

I boycotted Amazon a few months back over their taxes (I only use them to store my wish lists now) so it looks increasingly like Sainsbury's Entertainment et al will be getting my business.

Either that or I'll need a new hobby.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Play.com - 11/1/2013 1:25:54 PM   
great_badir

Can't say I'm at all bothered or surprised, really.

I haven't used Play for years - aside from any damage to the business the closing of the LCVR limit has done, I think they signed their own death warrant back in the early 00s when delivery started to take longer and longer, they were selling stuff they didn't have in stock, and selling obviously used DVDs as brand new. And the minute they started selling other "stuff" (gadgets and the like), the writing was finally on the wall.

Good riddance, if you ask me - a company which is a shadow of its former self and a perfect example of how not to run a business.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 35
RE: Play.com - 11/1/2013 10:22:15 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Didn't use Play for a long time until recently. Pre-orders normally ended up arriving on either the Friday or Saturday before the release date, so I was really pleased with the service. Shame to see it go, not really keen on using the Marketplace, have purchased DVDs from it a few times.

HMV used to be great for deliveries, but they are appalling now. I'd hate to see the store go under, I do enjoy having a browse whenever I'm out.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 36
RE: Play.com - 12/1/2013 9:47:53 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I hope not all HMV stores close as love browsing in their main Oxford St branch on my once a month visit & ocassionally coming across something out of the blue.
I did hear somwhere that some of the major labels helped HMV out as they didn't want to go under leaving more of their product going towards online sales & downloading & therefore less profit.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 12/1/2013 9:52:12 AM >

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 37
RE: Play.com - 12/1/2013 4:33:27 PM   
CORLEONE

Shame. Good memories of Play.com. Must have ordered about 500 DVDs from there over the years, though nothing in the past year. It's gone massively downhill since the evil Rakuten corporation bought it out. Much fewer bargains to be had.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Kumadori)
Post #: 38
RE: Play.com - 12/1/2013 5:01:50 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

It actually got a lot better after Rakuten took over, more special offers and sales, better and faster delivery, better packaging for steelbooks, more exclusives, better customer service

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 39
RE: Play.com - 13/1/2013 4:21:40 PM   
Moorish

Play was the first online site that HOOKED me onto online buying for music and video so it is a shame to see it go this way.

(in reply to Kumadori)
Post #: 40
RE: Play.com - 14/1/2013 8:48:41 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Holy shit! First Play.com and now HMV! I think it's because people have (mostly) shopped at Amazon.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 14/1/2013 8:50:33 PM >

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 41
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 8:56:09 PM   
paulyboy

Yep, lots of stories breaking in the news that HMV are poised to enter administration any minute, if you've got vouchers left over from Christmas, best get in there quick before they refuse to honour them.

4,000+ jobs at risk, fucking hell, sad day if you ask me, Blockbuster will be the only place left to have a browse on the high street, after they're gone (a matter of time) we'll be left with ....Tesco. **Shudder!**

We've only ourselves to blame of course.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 14/1/2013 9:02:08 PM >

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 42
RE: Play.com - 14/1/2013 8:57:34 PM   
James2183

Due to how stupidly overpriced their stock is I'd probably say exchange them for iTunes vouchers.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 43
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 9:08:37 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Due to how stupidly overpriced their stock is...

Aside from chart items and specials (5 for 30 Blu-Rays), their prices are insane, never sure what stores like this are playing at. You can't tell me Blu-Ray catalogue titles are genuinely shifting at 25, or non-chart CD's for 15-20.

Still, terrible shame, if only because everyone (myself included no doubt) is going to swan off over to Amazon and line their non corporation tax paying pockets. **Sigh**

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 44
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 9:23:47 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

this is not good. There are a bunch of HMV exclusive steels that i want that arent out yet

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 45
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 9:25:54 PM   
elab49

More worried about the impact on Fopp - that's not long had its own reprieve. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 46
RE: Play.com - 14/1/2013 9:29:25 PM   
Castor Troy

I don't get this attitude of 'it was only a matter of time, they're far too expensive' etc. As if we were in charge of HMV it would be any different. People do realise prices are largely set by the distributors? We all know why other places can offer cheaper prices. Obviously this isn't an excuse but it annoys me when people on the internet think they know better than top end buyers/execs etc.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 47
RE: Play.com - 14/1/2013 9:42:03 PM   
giggity

can i ask, if HMV does go into administration, will the exclusive steel book's that are on pre-order like Skyfall which is coming out in the middle of february still go on-sale? Or will they be kaput?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 48
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 9:45:05 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

this is not good. There are a bunch of HMV exclusive steels that i want that arent out yet

The prospect of 4000+ jobs at risk is a bit more worrying!

I'm gutted to see the last high-street store go. I still bought most new releases in-store (just today I nipped in for Dredd and wound up spending 25 on a couple of items), and didn't mind spending a couple of quid more for the "luxury" of being able to do so.

Post #: 49
RE: Play.com - 14/1/2013 9:51:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

can i ask, if HMV does go into administration, will the exclusive steel book's that are on pre-order like Skyfall which is coming out in the middle of february still go on-sale? Or will they be kaput?

Possibly kaput, might go to Amazon, we'll just have to wait and see!

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 50
RE: Play.com - 14/1/2013 10:02:55 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

I don't get this attitude of 'it was only a matter of time, they're far too expensive' etc. As if we were in charge of HMV it would be any different. People do realise prices are largely set by the distributors? We all know why other places can offer cheaper prices. Obviously this isn't an excuse but it annoys me when people on the internet think they know better than top end buyers/execs etc.

Except they're the ones not buying at the prices set by these people so I think it's a reasonable point. I'm not sure when I last bought back catalogue from HMV outside of a sale. New releases as Adam says - but online for me.

I don't think it's just a couple of s in store for HMV tbh. And they seem to be able to take a good chunk of stock and pass it over to Fopp at greatly reduced prices, including a lot of steelbooks.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 14/1/2013 11:02:14 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 51
RE: Play.com - 14/1/2013 10:11:05 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

I don't think anyone has said they know better with regards to running the company, just that prices like that certainly aren't helping matters, which goes without saying. And it is just a matter of time for most of these stores, there's a massive technological and cultural shift in the way we buy certain things at the moment, high street pricing is only making matters worse. It's sadly inevitable at this stage.

For the record, like adambatman82, overall I don't mind paying an extra pound or two for the luxury of taking it away there and then in store, but some of HMV's pricing is bonkers, I've seen catalogue Blu-Ray titles selling for nearly 30, for whatever reason they're that expensive (distributer set pricing or otherwise), they're pissing in the wind regardless, that's 10 over the RRP in some cases.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 14/1/2013 10:12:13 PM >

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 52
RE: Play.com - 14/1/2013 10:14:53 PM   
gtrekker

Bad news about HMV, but tbh I never really shopped there for a while same goes for Play.com over the years I've found myself leaning towards Amazon mostly and at times Zavvi.

Were HMV to close down there would only be one shop left on the high street where I live; think its called That's Entertainment (there is normally a mix of second hand and new items) but I dont really go there either.

< Message edited by gtrekker -- 14/1/2013 10:15:18 PM >

''Due to the sad state of TV shows at the moment it's a good thing there are TV DVD boxsets''

my youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/thegtrekker?feature=mhee

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 53
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 10:25:31 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The prospect of 4000+ jobs at risk is a bit more worrying!

I'm gutted to see the last high-street store go. I still bought most new releases in-store (just today I nipped in for Dredd and wound up spending 25 on a couple of items), and didn't mind spending a couple of quid more for the "luxury" of being able to do so.

Agreed, that is not good at all. I used to work in a jobcentre (a while back) and the staff have my utmost sympathies.

I bought Dredd for 14.99 there today, knowing i was spending 2 more than i needed to as other places had it for 13. I have bought a lot from HMV lately, i've been trying to support them.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 54
RE: Play.com - 14/1/2013 10:27:26 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

I don't think anyone has said they know better with regards to running the company, just that prices like that certainly aren't helping matters, which goes without saying. And it is just a matter of time for most of these stores, there's a massive technological and cultural shift in the way we buy certain things at the moment, high street pricing is only making matters worse. It's sadly inevitable at this stage.

For the record, like adambatman82, overall I don't mind paying an extra pound or two for the luxury of taking it away there and then in store, but some of HMV's pricing is bonkers, I've seen catalogue Blu-Ray titles selling for nearly 30, for whatever reason they're that expensive (distributer set pricing or otherwise), they're pissing in the wind regardless, that's 10 over the RRP in some cases.

They take the piss with some of their instore prices, particularly some steels. Snow White and the Huntsmen: 28, Bourne Legacy 25

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 55
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 10:41:33 PM   
paulyboy

I suppose the points I've collected on my Pure HMV card won't be worth much if the worst happens, one of the few loyalty cards I got some genuine mileage from, have 15 or so on there at the moment, might have try and spend them quick.

Post #: 56
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 10:43:14 PM   
gtrekker

quote:

I suppose the points I've collected on my Pure HMV card won't be worth much if the worst happens, one of the few loyalty cards I got some genuine mileage from, have 15 or so on there at the moment, might have try and spend them quick.

I was just about to take advantage of HMV's trade in offer, where they offer 1 for each DVD you bring in. Had 30+ DVDs to take to them before Christmas but kept putting it off. Looks like they might have stopped that scheme now.

I remember that they stopped the HMV Pure scheme as well a while back, just when I was thinking about joining as well haha.

< Message edited by gtrekker -- 14/1/2013 10:44:46 PM >

''Due to the sad state of TV shows at the moment it's a good thing there are TV DVD boxsets''

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 57
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 10:49:24 PM   
paulyboy

Looks like it's official now, they're appointing administrators, balls!

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 58
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 10:54:38 PM   
gtrekker

Should HMV close is there a chance that the store could continue online, I believe Zavvi was bought by the Hut group when that closed a few years back?

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 59
RE: HMV Administration? - 14/1/2013 11:09:42 PM   
moontheloon

reports currently say that bidders aren't really interested in the company as a whole, but are keen to buy different aspects such as the brand, so I imagine that yes, it would continue to operate online. There will still be huge job losses and it will basically force people to shop online if they want back catalogue titles. It's very bad news if they go.

As for Fopp, not sure what the deal will be, I know they operate a lot of deals on their own. The reason why some of the titles in there are so much cheaper are because they work out their own deals with the suppliers. For example I was amazed at how cheap the BFI catalogue stuff was in there and asked the woman serviing me why we couldn't get it at those prices to sell in HMV stores if they could, she basically told me that the BFI knew that Fopp could sell them in large quantities so could sell them multiples at low costs, whereas HMV simply couldn't manage the same volume of sales as it has a different audience.

I am bias as I work for the company, but this is terrible news for the employees and the high street as a whole. The more businesses that go under the worse the countries economy will fare.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: Play.com Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI