Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: BAFTA Noms

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: BAFTA Noms Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 3:07:27 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

quote:

Probably true. I donlt expect anything outside the technical awards and unlike last time I wouldn't be bothered if it wasn;t nominated for the big awards. But The Hobbit up for Best Picture would give me a film to root for for the first time in a decade

Gimli, might get an acting nod for Armitage in TABA possibly - most likely not (as it's released in the summer rather than just before the awards season), but we can dream.

As much as I liked him in the film, and presume I will in the sequels, I'd rather McKellen won, if only for losing out on FOTR. It'll never happen though.

I'm sure McKellan will win next year for The Curse of the Buxom Strumpet.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 61
RE: it's FAKE - 9/1/2013 3:18:31 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Ben Affleck as best actor is slightly hilarious.

Indeed.
Hope he wins it

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 62
masterrrrr - 9/1/2013 4:08:09 PM   
staypuft2

Disappointed 'the master' didn't receive more nominations, particularly for cinematography by Mihai Malaimare Jr. and the music by Jonny Greenwood. That film was gosh darn beautiful and, although Deakins is one of the finest cinematographers around, Skyfall's digital visuals hardly matched the master's old school 70mm print. Shame man.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 63
masterrrrr - 9/1/2013 4:11:30 PM   
staypuft2

Disappointed 'the master' didn't receive more nominations, particularly for cinematography by Mihai Malaimare Jr. and the music by Jonny Greenwood. That film was gosh darn beautiful and, although Deakins is one of the finest cinematographers around, Skyfall's digital visuals hardly matched the master's old school 70mm print. Shame man.

Post #: 64
Eh? - 9/1/2013 5:30:34 PM   
zeech1941

So...the writer, the actors, the design, the music, the photography and the film are all nominated, but the director isn't??? I guess Lincoln directed itself!?!?

Post #: 65
RE: RE: - 9/1/2013 7:13:07 PM   
steveg66

More entitlement to an opinion, nothing bewildering about that. I read about a lot of films and see what I can in these austere times. Many of us are not in the fortunate position where we can live around film. It might well be a good film, but take a straw poll in the street of that specific category and see how many are aware of it or even get an opportunity to see it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveg66

Might be blowing a trumpet for Empire but prefer your awards system for a start. BAFTA's always too pretentious. Amour? FFS! How many average film fans have actually heard of it let alone seen it?

So you're on a website dedicated to films complaining that one of the best reviewed films of the year shouldn't have been nominated because you haven't heard of it? The sense of entitlement some people have around awards ceremonies is absolutely bewildering.

"I flew into the wild and fire; I danced and died a thousand times. ...

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 66
RE: RE: - 9/1/2013 7:32:00 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

More entitlement to an opinion, nothing bewildering about that. I read about a lot of films and see what I can in these austere times. Many of us are not in the fortunate position where we can live around film. It might well be a good film, but take a straw poll in the street of that specific category and see how many are aware of it or even get an opportunity to see it.

Nothing bewildering about someone coming to a website dedicated to film and then calling a film industry awards ceremony pretentious because they nominated one of the most acclaimed films of the year, simply because you happened not to have heard it? No, you're right, you're being perfectly logical.

(in reply to steveg66)
Post #: 67
RE: RE: - 9/1/2013 8:08:00 PM   
steveg66

Like I said, I doubt I'm the only one.

"I flew into the wild and fire; I danced and died a thousand times. ...

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 68
RE: RE: - 9/1/2013 8:24:59 PM   
Quentin Black

Hey Rawlinson, just want to thank you for being a voice of reason on this thread.

For the record I haven't seen all the films that have been nominated and probably disagree with as many of the nominations/omissions as I agree with. It just amazes me how upset people get when their favorite blockbuster doesn't get nominated and start sling accusations at the various academies. Yes, there is always going to be a fair amount of politics involved in any awards ceremony but at the end of the day the voters are still respected professionals who know the craft better than many of us ever will and are voting for films that they believe represent the best the year has to offer, whether artistically or technically. If one wants a popularity contest for films with the highest box office or most fans then follow the Empire Awards or MTV Awards.

Some of the people who frequent this site need to grow up.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 69
RE: RE: - 9/1/2013 8:52:08 PM   
Quentin Black

quote:

quote:

quote:

Might be blowing a trumpet for Empire but prefer your awards system for a start. BAFTA's always too pretentious. Amour? FFS! How many average film fans have actually heard of it let alone seen it?

So you're on a website dedicated to films complaining that one of the best reviewed films of the year shouldn't have been nominated because you haven't heard of it? The sense of entitlement some people have around awards ceremonies is absolutely bewildering.

Different award ceremonies have different voting panels and criteria for what they think makes the best film. Empire and MTV lean heavily on the fan opinions and box office because they are for the readers and viewers who keep them in the job. The Oscars and Baftas voters on the other hand are made up of respected professionals who know the craft better than most "average film fans" and are voting on what they believe represent the best the year has to offer, whether artistically or technically. They frankly don't give a damn whether or not "steveg66" of the internet, who doesn't think some of their picks are good enough for his consideration in these "austere times", has heard of it or not.

It is actually refreshing for films that few people have heard of to get some recognition. It has a very positive effect on the industry. I had heard of Amour before but hadn't gotten around to watching it and seeing that it has been so highly regarded, both by critics and filmmakers alike, I am more likely to make the effort to see it to make my own mind up. See how that works?

(in reply to steveg66)
Post #: 70
RE: RE: - 9/1/2013 8:57:49 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quentin Black
Hey Rawlinson, just want to thank you for being a voice of reason on this thread.

Bloody Hell!

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 9/1/2013 8:58:40 PM >

(in reply to Quentin Black)
Post #: 71
RE: RE: - 10/1/2013 2:01:35 AM   
NeoBrowser

I feel the Best Film/Picture award should always go to the film that will clearly have the most lasting historical effect. As in, which film of the year will people still be watching 10, 50, or even 100 years from now.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 72
RE: BAFTA Noms - 10/1/2013 2:26:14 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I'm sure McKellan will win next year for The Curse of the Buxom Strumpet.

That would be amazing.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 73
RE: RE: - 10/1/2013 3:14:05 AM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeoBrowser

I feel the Best Film/Picture award should always go to the film that will clearly have the most lasting historical effect. As in, which film of the year will people still be watching 10, 50, or even 100 years from now.

That would be great. I wonder why the Academy haven't thought about that before? After presenting Best Picture they should also tell us next week's lotto numbers.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to NeoBrowser)
Post #: 74
RE: RE: - 10/1/2013 3:31:00 AM   
Deviation

I'm glad Zimmer and Nolan didn't get nominated for TDKR. Same with Shore for The Hobbit which was mostly an incredibly disappointing work. It was some of all the mentioned artist's weakest output. I also like that Haneke got nominated for what is an apparently great film. Mostly because I like Haneke a lot too. So there.

There's also a couple of films I would have loved to see nominated but didn't, but oh well, I think I'll live.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 75
RE: RE: - 10/1/2013 6:30:50 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Same with Shore for The Hobbit which was mostly an incredibly disappointing work.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 76
Bafta Noms - 10/1/2013 9:48:51 AM   
FlashyCactus

life of pi?? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Post #: 77
RE: Bafta Noms - 10/1/2013 12:56:37 PM   
SarahBanks195

Think most of the films nominated are ok, waiting to see Lincoln and Les Mis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwZag4vheZo#

(in reply to FlashyCactus)
Post #: 78
RE: RE: - 10/1/2013 2:16:03 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Same with Shore for The Hobbit which was mostly an incredibly disappointing work.

Just because it has a male choir that goes AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA at the dramatic moments doesn't mean it's good Gimli.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 10/1/2013 2:17:49 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 79
RE: RE: - 10/1/2013 2:17:26 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Much more better!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 80
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 4:45:00 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Is it me, or is that an extremely disappointing and underwhelming list of British films? Perhaps a knock-on effect of the demise of the UKFC? The inclusion of Seven Psychopaths is rather desperate - in more ways than one.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Might be blowing a trumpet for Empire but prefer your awards system for a start. BAFTA's always too pretentious. Amour? FFS! How many average film fans have actually heard of it let alone seen it? Ignoring Nolan and TDKR is criminal. And as a side note have just had a good chuckle at the Razzie noms for this year. Empire new story here please.

Lazy use of the term pretentious is lazy.

Indeed.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 81
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 5:03:57 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just because it has a male choir that goes AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA at the dramatic moments doesn't mean it's good Gimli.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 82
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 6:21:23 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 83
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 6:24:31 PM   
rawlinson

I still haven't seen it, G'. How close am I to going on the list?

Post #: 84
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 7:28:17 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

You were always on the list! Right at the top.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 85
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 7:30:29 PM   
rawlinson

Does that mean I have to have nasty, soggy chips?

Post #: 86
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 7:33:21 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Most definitely. And a grenade down the trousers.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 87
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 7:35:04 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

And a grenade down the trousers.

Post #: 88
RE: RE: - 11/1/2013 8:41:09 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 89
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: BAFTA Noms Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI