Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 1:08:08 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

Also surprised that Hans didn't get a nod for TDK. What the hell BAFTA?!

Because it's barely music?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 9/1/2013 1:12:44 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 31
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 1:18:49 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Although saying that, I do like his TDKR score.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 32
- 9/1/2013 1:24:44 PM   
steveg66

Might be blowing a trumpet for Empire but prefer your awards system for a start. BAFTA's always too pretentious. Amour? FFS! How many average film fans have actually heard of it let alone seen it? Ignoring Nolan and TDKR is criminal. And as a side note have just had a good chuckle at the Razzie noms for this year. Empire new story here please.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 1:31:26 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveg66

Might be blowing a trumpet for Empire but prefer your awards system for a start. BAFTA's always too pretentious. Amour? FFS! How many average film fans have actually heard of it let alone seen it? Ignoring Nolan and TDKR is criminal. And as a side note have just had a good chuckle at the Razzie noms for this year. Empire new story here please.

That's true enough, Steve. And the acceptance speeches are always better at the Empire Awards.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Okay, Grandpa

EDIT: Just changed the title name.

< Message edited by Ref -- 9/1/2013 1:32:31 PM >

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to steveg66)
Post #: 34
RE: - 9/1/2013 1:41:15 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Might be blowing a trumpet for Empire but prefer your awards system for a start. BAFTA's always too pretentious. Amour? FFS! How many average film fans have actually heard of it let alone seen it?

So you're on a website dedicated to films complaining that one of the best reviewed films of the year shouldn't have been nominated because you haven't heard of it? The sense of entitlement some people have around awards ceremonies is absolutely bewildering.

(in reply to steveg66)
Post #: 35
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 1:46:11 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Might be blowing a trumpet for Empire but prefer your awards system for a start. BAFTA's always too pretentious. Amour? FFS! How many average film fans have actually heard of it let alone seen it?

So you're on a website dedicated to films complaining that one of the best reviewed films of the year shouldn't have been nominated because you haven't heard of it? The sense of entitlement some people have around awards ceremonies is absolutely bewildering.

Funny though.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 36
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 1:47:17 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Funny though.

It's going to be even funnier tomorrow when Nolan gets snubbed at the Oscars.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 37
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 1:50:15 PM   
AxlReznor

It'll just prove once and for all that no matter how good a film is, if there's any connection with a comic book the old stuffy bastards who decide these things will ignore it.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 38
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 1:53:30 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

It'll just prove once and for all that no matter how good a film is, if there's any connection with a comic book the old stuffy bastards who decide these things will ignore it.

Like the crusty old fuckers did with Heath Ledger's Joker.

Oh..

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 39
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 1:57:46 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

Oh..

a) That wasn't a Best Picture/Director nomination, was it.
b) Do you think he'd have been nominated, let alone won if it wasn't for the fact that he died?

Post #: 40
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 1:57:58 PM   
Ref

quote:

quote:

Oh..

Yes, but then it was a 'special' case as the actor in question died. They wouldn't have nominated him otherwise, even-though it was a fantastic performance.

EDIT: Axl beat me to it.

< Message edited by Ref -- 9/1/2013 1:58:33 PM >

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Post #: 41
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:01:25 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh..

But you said

quote:

if there's any connection with a comic book the old stuffy bastards who decide these things will ignore it

I'd argue that, y'know, being the main villain in a film would count as a connection.

quote:

b) Do you think he'd have been nominated, let alone won if it wasn't for the fact that he died?

That's conjecture. I do happen to agree with it btw but it's conjecture nonetheless.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 9/1/2013 2:08:41 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 42
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:10:53 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Great 3 out of the 5 films nominated for best film haven't even been released yet & only 3 of those got a best Director nod? As for Affleck getting a best Actor nomination W.T.F!!! .
No nod for Bond? surprising considering it's British does a lot for the UK economy & broke the UK box office record still they did the same in snubbing Potter for so many years.

Post #: 43
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:26:16 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

A. No, but you said anything comic book related.

B. Yes. For two reasons

1. Because the number of people who get nominated after they die compared to the number of actors who die each year is incredibly small.

2. Because otherwise you're suggesting that the 1000+ members of the acting branch all decided to ignore voting for their actual favourite performance of the year in order to award a pity Oscar to a performance they would have otherwise ignored.

Also, this idea of the Academy being crusty old bastards. The Academy voters are the people who actually make the films. The same actors and directors who work on blockbusters and superhero films in the first place. And over the last few years they've nominated the likes of Avatar, Inception, District 9, Toy Story 3 and Inglorious Basterds. They're nominating films that have a younger audience, again, they just don't love Batman films as much as some people on this thread.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 44
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:28:46 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

They're nominating films that have a younger audience, again, they just don't love Batman films as much as some people on this thread.

And I'm pretty sure that, come tomorrow, they won't love The Hobbit as much as certain people (me!) on this thread

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 45
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:30:39 PM   
rawlinson

The Hobbit was always going to be a hard sell though, I think. They gave RotK 11 Oscars, it kind of seems like Jackson and Middle Earth have had their Oscar moment.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 46
RE: - 9/1/2013 2:34:53 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Lazy use of the term pretentious is lazy.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to steveg66)
Post #: 47
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:38:05 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Probably true. I donlt expect anything outside the technical awards and unlike last time I wouldn't be bothered if it wasn;t nominated for the big awards. But The Hobbit up for Best Picture would give me a film to root for for the first time in a decade

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 48
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:40:12 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

The Hobbit was always going to be a hard sell though, I think. They gave RotK 11 Oscars, it kind of seems like Jackson and Middle Earth have had their Oscar moment.

So you're saying that they wouldn't nominate it because they've already won enough instead of whether they actually think it's good enough to nominate? If you'd believe that, why's it so hard to believe they'd give Heath Ledger a pity vote?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 49
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:48:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Probably true. I donlt expect anything outside the technical awards and unlike last time I wouldn't be bothered if it wasn;t nominated for the big awards. But The Hobbit up for Best Picture would give me a film to root for for the first time in a decade

You weren't rooting for Toy Story 3 and Up when they got best picture noms? Bad Pixar fan!

The weird thing with this year is that it's still incredibly open. The fact that the actual number of best picture nominations is unknown makes things more difficult to predict. On top of that, usually you have a situation where all the guilds announce their nominations before the Oscar voting deadline closes, and the things that break through there kind of provide a guideline for voters for films to watch in a way. This year, the Oscars hit their deadline before the Baftas announced, before the DGA announced, etc. So a surprise nomination or snub might not have as much of an impact. Basically there's about six films that look fairly certain of a nomination with another four slots that could possibly be filled. The Hobbit might pull an upset, so might Dark Knight. But they're unlikely.

quote:

So you're saying that they wouldn't nominate it because they've already won enough instead of whether they actually think it's good enough to nominate? If you'd believe that, why's it so hard to believe they'd give Heath Ledger a pity vote?

What you're saying is they rewarded a performance they thought was undeserving simply because the actor died. Which is just bizarre, because you have people voting for something they didn't care for simply because someone happened to die. Which is vastly different to liking a film, but thinking the series has been rewarded enough and putting something else they also like higher on their ballot as a result. One is about narrowing down the choices between films they like, the other is about voting for something they didn't like.

Post #: 50
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:52:18 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

You weren't rooting for Toy Story 3 and Up when they got best picture noms? Bad Pixar fan!

I should have said "non-animated film to root for". I'm stull gutted that both Up and TS3 lost

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 51
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:54:21 PM   
AxlReznor

It's been common knowledge now that voting for the major industry awards is not based on what the voters like. It's based on how well the filmmaker's did in their efforts to suck up to them. Everyone who's ever been involved in the process have said this.

An alternative process is to make a film about the Holocaust.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 52
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:56:30 PM   
Ref

quote:

Gimli, might get an acting nod for Armitage in TABA possibly - most likely not (as it's released in the summer rather than just before the awards season), but we can dream.

Post #: 53
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 2:58:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

It's been common knowledge now that voting for the major industry awards is not based on what the voters like. It's based on how well the filmmaker's did in their efforts to suck up to them. Everyone who's ever been involved in the process have said this.

So you can provide links to where all 6000 of the current Academy members have said this?

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 54
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 3:00:21 PM   
AxlReznor

If I could be bothered I could find where people who have been nominated have said this. But I can't be bothered, so I won't.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 55
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 3:00:43 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

Gimli, might get an acting nod for Armitage in TABA possibly - most likely not (as it's released in the summer rather than just before the awards season), but we can dream.

As much as I liked him in the film, and presume I will in the sequels, I'd rather McKellen won, if only for losing out on FOTR. It'll never happen though.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 9/1/2013 3:01:02 PM >

Much more better!

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 56
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 3:01:07 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

I should have said "non-animated film to root for". I'm stull gutted that both Up and TS3 lost

I'm gutted Toy Story 3 lost as well. Maybe if it had won Best Picture it wouldn't have robbed How To Train Your Dragon of the animated feature award .

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 57
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 3:02:57 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

quote:

As much as I liked him in the film, and presume I will in the sequels, I'd rather McKellen won, if only for losing out on FOTR. It'll never happen though.

I'd rather they accepted that motion captured performances are acting, too, and nominated Andy Serkis.

Post #: 58
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 3:03:00 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

If I could be bothered I could find where people who have been nominated have said this. But I can't be bothered, so I won't.

So basically that's a no?

Seriously, some people complain about it. But the idea that it's everyone (and all of those 6000 are either Oscar nominees or people in the industry put forward by their peers) is just ludicrous.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 59
RE: BAFTA Noms - 9/1/2013 3:03:17 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

An alternative process is to make a film about the Holocaust.

or the disabled!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI