Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

BAFTA Nominations 2013 Announced!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> BAFTA Nominations 2013 Announced! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BAFTA Nominations 2013 Announced! - 9/1/2013 8:51:57 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 9/1/2013 8:51:57 AM   
NeoBrowser

Snubbing The Hobbit I see....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
it's FAKE - 9/1/2013 9:17:14 AM   
Hughezyvstheworld

all this films nominated that haven't even had a UK release date? shouldn't that be so sort've rule?

but now, at least we get to have our photo taken with that actor that's popular at the minute..... ugh.

Post #: 3
pander to the oscars more please - 9/1/2013 9:23:12 AM   
Hingway Films

Lincoln released on the 25th of January. Get 10 noms. a bit of a joke...

Post #: 4
RE: pander to the oscars more please - 9/1/2013 9:55:06 AM   
Dannybohy

Where is The Impossible nominations ffs!!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Hingway Films)
Post #: 5
RE: it's FAKE - 9/1/2013 10:03:21 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hughezyvstheworld

all this films nominated that haven't even had a UK release date? shouldn't that be so sort've rule?

It is. Any film that's released in the UK between 1st of Jan and the beginning of Feb this year are eligible by being screened to Academy members before the end of December last year. If the studio made a film available for those screenings then it can be voted for.

(in reply to Hughezyvstheworld)
Post #: 6
RE: it's FAKE - 9/1/2013 10:20:21 AM   
elab49

I guess that means everyone can see the films before the awards.

Bit baffled that Seven Psychopaths is British but what the hey - awards for it are fine.

Ben Affleck as best actor is slightly hilarious.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 7
RE: it's FAKE - 9/1/2013 10:25:16 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Bit baffled that Seven Psychopaths is British but what the hey - awards for it are fine.

Someone should remind them where our borders end nowadays...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: it's FAKE - 9/1/2013 10:30:34 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

How do they base that? Director nationality? Because if so then McDonagh is fine, he holds dual citizenship and was born in London. It also had a lot of British studio input, so that's probably why.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 10:38:17 AM   
SRETRODUDE

Dark knight rises, the most acclaimed film of 2012 gets one 1 Nomination. It's a joke. Chris Nolan deserves to be recognised for his achievements and is ignored just because it's a Batman film. It isn't a ordinary superhero film, it's an emotional journey with twists and suspense. It was shot on IMAX. How can anyone blinded by the stunning quality shot by Wally Pfister and heart pounding score from Hans Zimmer? I Blame the golden globes. Every time they've announced the nominations all the other big film academys make the same votes. After learning of the baftas today I'm not keeping my fingers crossed for the Oscar nominations tomorrow.

Post #: 10
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 10:49:58 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: SRETRODUDE

Dark knight rises, the most acclaimed film of 2012 gets one 1 Nomination. It's a joke. Chris Nolan deserves to be recognised for his achievements and is ignored just because it's a Batman film. It isn't a ordinary superhero film, it's an emotional journey with twists and suspense. It was shot on IMAX. How can anyone blinded by the stunning quality shot by Wally Pfister and heart pounding score from Hans Zimmer? I Blame the golden globes. Every time they've announced the nominations all the other big film academys make the same votes. After learning of the baftas today I'm not keeping my fingers crossed for the Oscar nominations tomorrow.

By who?

It sits at number 90 in Rotten Tomatoes' top 100 of 2012.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 9/1/2013 10:52:13 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to SRETRODUDE)
Post #: 11
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 10:56:35 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

I love it when someone rants and they clearly don't have a clue how these things work.

(in reply to SRETRODUDE)
Post #: 12
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 11:00:49 AM   
AxlReznor

I'm pissed about Christopher Nolan getting ignored every single time, too. Even if he doesn't win, he/his films at least deserve nominations... especially over some of the crap that does get nominated.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 13
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 11:10:35 AM   
rawlinson

In the last 13 years he's notched up three Oscar nominations, three Bafta nominations, three DGA nominations, three Golden Globe nominations, two Producers Guild nominations and two writers guild nominations. That's more than most get in a career, let alone a little over a decade.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 14
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 11:32:44 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Quick question about the music nominations. I had hoped Shore would be nominated for The Hobbit but would that be excluded as some of the themes were written for LOTR?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 15
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 11:35:39 AM   
rawlinson

I'm pretty sure it was on the eligible list for the Oscars.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 16
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 11:40:32 AM   
AxlReznor

In that case, his (along with Hans Zimmer's) omission from the nominations is also a joke.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 17
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 11:43:43 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

" it's an emotional journey with twists and suspense!". That would of been the movies tag line!... if any of it was true

However, Hans should have been nominated at least. (my New Year resolution to add positive comment to too)

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 9/1/2013 11:45:27 AM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to SRETRODUDE)
Post #: 18
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 11:46:37 AM   
rawlinson

How is it a joke? Because all I'm getting so far really is that it's because their taste doesn't match your own.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 19
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 11:50:40 AM   
MonsterCat

Is anyone really that surprised that The Dark Knight Rises is barely featuring in the nominations lists this season?

Not that it needs awards to validate its existence.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 11:56:37 AM   
AxlReznor

Not surprised. Just disappointed that it doesn't get its deserved recognition.

However... I'm not going to go off on a long rant about it like the person above.

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 9/1/2013 11:57:11 AM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 21
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 12:00:22 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Is anyone really that surprised that The Dark Knight Rises is barely featuring in the nominations lists this season?

Not that it needs awards to validate its existence.

Exactly. The film was never going to win anything this year, because the Academy wasn't going to give best picture to the third part of a trilogy when they had no real interest in the first two entries. Not even the Ledger factor could get The Dark Knight any other major noms and the argument that it was going to get nominated due to some overdue factor was wiped out when Inception was nominated. If there was the feeling that a Nolan film was overdue for nominations, Inception took care of that. Nolan is liked enough to pick up noms, but obviously he's not making films that enough members think is the outright best of the year. And that's what it takes to get nominated, a good number of voters have to think you've made the single best film of the year, not one of the best, the absolute best. So whenever people complain that Nolan is getting unfairly snubbed, all they're really doing is complaining because other people didn't have the same favourite film as them. The Dark Knight Rises could have been on every single ballot, but if all it was getting was third or fourth place then it's not going to get nominated.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 22
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 12:03:05 PM   
AxlReznor

I didn't remember Inception being nominated for Best Picture. He's still yet to receive a Best Director nomination from the Academy Awards, though as far as I know.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 23
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 12:04:50 PM   
rawlinson

Because not enough members of the directors branch think he's making the best film of the year. That's all it really comes down to. Your favourite is not their favourite.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 24
What a load of all PoppyCock. - 9/1/2013 12:16:34 PM   
osh man

Ben Affleck best actor? They avin a laugh? Decent film but Afflleck is just out of acting school and while doing well, there's better acting performances out there.

Post #: 25
Rubbish I say! - 9/1/2013 12:35:24 PM   
Coyleone

Holy Motors, the most original, inventive and downright ridiculously brilliant film of the year didn't get nominated...FOR ANYTHING?! Beasts Of The Southern Wild, the most moving, inspiring, beautiful film of the year didn't get nominated...FOR ANYTHING?! What a load of rubbish these awards are. The best film nominations are terrible apart from Argo. Not necessarily because they're bad, but they are in no way a good representation of what the year had to offer. These awards (BAFTA's, Golden Globes and Oscars) get worse and worse every year.

Post #: 26
RE: it's FAKE - 9/1/2013 12:56:39 PM   
FoxDhoj

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

How do they base that? Director nationality? Because if so then McDonagh is fine, he holds dual citizenship and was born in London. It also had a lot of British studio input, so that's probably why.

Film4 and BFI, nuff said.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27
RE: Rubbish I say! - 9/1/2013 12:58:10 PM   
FoxDhoj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Holy Motors, the most original, inventive and downright ridiculously brilliant film of the year didn't get nominated...FOR ANYTHING?! Beasts Of The Southern Wild, the most moving, inspiring, beautiful film of the year didn't get nominated...FOR ANYTHING?! What a load of rubbish these awards are. The best film nominations are terrible apart from Argo. Not necessarily because they're bad, but they are in no way a good representation of what the year had to offer. These awards (BAFTA's, Golden Globes and Oscars) get worse and worse every year.

Beasts of the Southern Wild got a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination...

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 28
RE: Rubbish I say! - 9/1/2013 1:04:27 PM   
Brundlesflies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Recieved Best Adapted Screenplay nom.

Haven't actually seen any of the bestfilm nom's this year - just don't get out to flicks much anymore really want to see Argo and Lincoln - which reminds me, with people going off half-cocked at TDKR's ommission from the main nods, what about Speilberg - 10 nom's for Lincoln, but not for director?

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 29
RE: NOLAN SNUBBED AGAIN - 9/1/2013 1:06:36 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Quick question about the music nominations. I had hoped Shore would be nominated for The Hobbit but would that be excluded as some of the themes were written for LOTR?

I'm a tad surprised too, Gimli - as the main theme is kick-arse and Bilbo's is such a Hobbity-loveliness that is a sheer travesty. Also surprised that Hans didn't get a nod for TDK. What the hell BAFTA?!

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I didn't remember Inception being nominated for Best Picture. He's still yet to receive a Best Director nomination from the Academy Awards, though as far as I know.

That was such a big omission, probably one film where the Director had to be firing on all cylinders and yet no love. Slightly ridiculous of the Academy, methinks.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> BAFTA Nominations 2013 Announced! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI