Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 8/1/2013 7:45:25 AM   
moontheloon

So after years of thinking He had basically retired I awake to the news that David Bowie will be releasing a new album in March.

You can listen to the single here

The single sounds very melancholy, I need to give it a few more listens, but it doesn't sound like a huge departure from his other late albums, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

So Bowie is back!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do
Post #: 1
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 8/1/2013 7:58:57 AM   
matty_b

That's cheered up my morning.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 2
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 8/1/2013 12:02:09 PM   
sharkboy

The single is growing on me considerably, but it saddens me too.  It's the sound of someone at the end of their life, wearily looking back and remembering the good bits.  Hopefully it was working with Visconti again that brought about this maudlin reminiscence and not his reported failing health.  Either way, I very much doubt if there will be a supporting tour this time.

Also, what a brilliantly typical Bowie way to announce your return after a decade - quietly upload the latest song to iTunes at 5.00AM on your 66th birthday and throw out a press statement

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 8/1/2013 12:28:21 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

That's cheered up my morning.

The news,but not the song.

I like Bowies as much as the next person but I dont really want to listen to Heathen-part-2,which the single very much sounds like.
Now dont get me wrong I do like Heathen,but touching and melancholy it may be but its also darn depressing.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 8/1/2013 4:58:09 PM   
NadaPlissken

Truly a song written by a man who has looked deep into the void. Could be about Bowie, could be about Ziggy, could be about Thomas Jerome Newton. But not Jareth.

Bookies are slashing odds on him performing Dancing in the Street with Jagger this year. That'll be a nice juxtaposition. No, sorry, I mean terrifying.

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 5
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 8/1/2013 7:29:06 PM   
Rinc

Bowie

Quite liking the song, can't wait for the album and I'm praying there'll be a tour. I don't hold out much hope but I would pay a lot of money to see him live.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to NadaPlissken)
Post #: 6
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 9/1/2013 12:21:23 AM   
Mister Coe

New Bowie! I'm so happy to hear that! I thought he was finished in the music biz!

And now I'm feeling awful because I put him in my Empire Dead Pool... hey, someone I know in the music business said he was on deaths door!

Let's hope not... saw him on the REALITY tour, bloody great, lets hope he goes out on the road one more time!

Say what now?

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 7
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 9/1/2013 10:46:06 AM   
steffols

The song gets better the more you listen to it. The first time I heard it yesterday it freaked me out a little - but I'm so used to that with Bowie it really didn't surprise me!

I haven't listened to any of his output past the 80s and I think I would need to become accustomed with that before I listen to the new album. It just makes me very happy that he is still working, recording and creating. Someone on twitter said that Bowie is a true artist, only releasing when he feels he is ready to and when he has something he wants to share. That sounds quite accurate to me.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 8
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 9/1/2013 11:51:11 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

The song gets better the more you listen to it. The first time I heard it yesterday it freaked me out a little - but I'm so used to that with Bowie it really didn't surprise me!

I haven't listened to any of his output past the 80s and I think I would need to become accustomed with that before I listen to the new album. It just makes me very happy that he is still working, recording and creating. Someone on twitter said that Bowie is a true artist, only releasing when he feels he is ready to and when he has something he wants to share. That sounds quite accurate to me.

I think you might want to checkout Heathen,Hours and Reality.That should give you an Idea of later-Bowie,and somewhere where I think this album is going.
And although its great news to have Bowie/Jonesy back ( its clearly not a money/ego thing for him, for which it never has been for Bowie) I'm still holding my caution for alittle longer due to the style of his last few albums/songs,of which I have very little love for.

But we'll see.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 9
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 9/1/2013 2:16:39 PM   
steelydan3

Glad to have him back. I must have been one of the last to hear the single-didn't hear it until nearly 2pm yesterday, but liked it. We've also got a new album to look forward to in March too, so good stuff. A tour might be out of the question, but here's hoping!

"I've had a bellyful of you and your cheap heroics"

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success"

Post #: 10
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 9/1/2013 2:26:36 PM   
borstal

If he tours Im going to give anyone holding a lollypop within 100 yards of him a sound pasting.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to steelydan3)
Post #: 11
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 9/1/2013 2:48:01 PM   
steelydan3

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

If he tours Im going to give anyone holding a lollypop within 100 yards of him a sound pasting.

Genuinely made me LOL!

"I've had a bellyful of you and your cheap heroics"

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success"

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 12
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 11/1/2013 12:03:37 AM   
ElephantBoy

Can't see any music news this year topping this, it is so exciting, am sure even a lesser Bowie is way better than most artists!

Good luck to him and I can't wait for the new album.

(in reply to steelydan3)
Post #: 13
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 11/1/2013 7:49:13 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Can't see any music news this year topping this,

Not even the news I read today that Richard Clayderman is releasing his first album in 20 years? I couldn't believe it when I saw it buried away in the middle of the metro in a side bar when this Bowie fellow made the evening news!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 14
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 11/1/2013 8:11:34 PM   
Olaf

The prospect of a Bowie album *and* an MBV album in one year is quite amazing. pull the finger out, Boards of Canada.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 15
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 11/1/2013 9:12:48 PM   
horribleives

I know the Berlin stuff's all very personal and that but is it just me who thinks the video's a bit crap?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 16
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 11/1/2013 10:23:53 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

According to Tony Visconti, there is no chance of him touring in support of the album. Sad, but his health is more important. Looking forward to this record!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 17
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 12/1/2013 7:28:22 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

The single has certainly been stuck in my head since the news broke about Bowies return,yet I'm still indifferent to it.
Why I'm indifferent to it is odd in itself because I generally like melancholy and ,somewhat, more grounded themes but the song just isnt doing it for me.
But from what I've read in the telegraph/guardian the album is set on a general rocky tone so this single might be a one-off that possibly divides itself away from the rest of the album.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 12/1/2013 8:27:04 PM >

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 18
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 12/1/2013 11:07:21 PM   
rich

I always have time for Bowie

< Message edited by rich -- 15/1/2013 8:03:49 PM >

Meanwhile...

Post #: 19
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 13/1/2013 11:45:52 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

not when he's dead

Thats stateing the bloody obvious

But 66 isn't that old in this day and age and as long as he takes care of himself he should be around awhile yet.
Post #: 20
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 14/1/2013 12:29:44 AM   
MonsterCat

I'm not a massive Bowie fan, but I'm digging the new single.

I may reassesses his other works at some point.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 21
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 12/3/2013 10:46:15 PM   
Mister Coe

So... whats your verdict on the new album?

Got it today, just on my second listen and... hmmm...

My first listen was a bit of a disappointment, especially after the glowing reviews from every corner of the music press. Certain tracks jump out... The Stars (are out tonight), Heat, I'll Take You There, Dancing Out In Space and particuarly You Feel So Lonely You Could Die are excellent. But the rest of it isn't quite doing it for me.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, some of my favourite albums took a while to sink in. But I loved Mr Bowie's last two albums on first listen and this one just isn't having the same impact.

A word about the album cover... I HATED it when I first saw it, I thought it was lazy and cheap, but after hearing the album, it makes sense. A lot of this album sounds very influenced by the LOW / HEROES / LODGER period, not to mention that the lyrics of the first single are explicitly about that time, so it fits perfectly.

Anyway, that's my opinion... yours?

Say what now?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 22
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 13/3/2013 8:57:06 AM   
borstal

I had it playing on my phone cycling into work this morning and thought it had some good tunes on. I was worried that it would be a typical rock dinosaur album, no balls, pretty generic but it has some pretty good moments in it.

I'll have another listen in work so I can name the tracks. On another note, there was an advert shown on TV the other day and I told the wife I would be willing to lose an arm to see him tour.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 23
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 31/3/2013 12:34:44 PM   
losthighway

I really like it. Even the first single works better within the context of the album. I'm a big fan of '...hours' and so if you liked that album then you should like this one. It's basically a continuation of that sound.

I'll be seeing David Bowie Is... at the V&A in mid-April too. Can't wait! As for a tour, i don;t think it's gonna happen to be honest.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 24
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 31/3/2013 1:11:04 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I'm starting to like it better the more I listen to it, reminds me of his Aladdin Sane stuff as much as anything else he's done. Favourite songs at the moment are The Stars (Are Out Tonight), Where Are We Now?, Valentine's Day, Dancing Out In Space and (You Will) Set The World On Fire.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 25
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 31/3/2013 9:00:03 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

I really like it. Even the first single works better within the context of the album. I'm a big fan of '...hours' and so if you liked that album then you should like this one. It's basically a continuation of that sound.

I'll be seeing David Bowie Is... at the V&A in mid-April too. Can't wait! As for a tour, i don;t think it's gonna happen to be honest.

I am also seeing the Bowie thing at the V+A in mid April... great minds stink alike!

I've listened to 'The Next Day' a lot since my last post and, I have to say, it has grown on me an awful lot. Bloody good album, it's just a shame that the very best song of the whole set was thrown away as a bonus track on the extended edition (I'll Take You There)...

I also like 'hours...', a good album to chill out to. But I still think that 'Heathen' is Bowie's best since... yes, 'Scary Monsters...', the touchstone that every Bowie album needs to go to if you think it has any kind of worth. I think that in this case, it does, completely.

As to Bowie touring again... I think we've got more chance of The Beatles going out on the road again.

Say what now?

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 26
RE: New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! - 31/3/2013 10:09:59 PM   
ElephantBoy

Only listened to it once but I really like it.

He hasn't lost his sharp lyical sense, but this is a more raw, vulenable sounding album. There is a Punk/DIY feel to it.

It is impressive how modern the themes feel. My favourite track is Valetines Day, it is just so clical.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> New David Bowie Album in march and Single Now! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI