Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Berberian Sound Studio - 7/1/2013 10:04:13 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Wife thought it was bab - 7/1/2013 10:04:13 PM   
jamiemorrison2

My wife thought it was one of the worst films she has ever seen because the story just fizzled out with no real conclusion, and is angry that she cant get that time back that she wasted watching it.....she could have been knitting after all. I, however, liked it...thought that it was atmospheric and the acting by Toby Jones as his mind breaks apart was excellent. So, for me it was better than knitting, if only slightly because knitting is wonderful.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Wife thought it was bab - 8/1/2013 3:44:04 PM   
MOTH

Most reviews I read about this made it sound like a horror film, and it really does sound like a horror film, in its blackly comic look at the trade of a foley artist. Comparisons have inevitably been made with David Lynch's output, but it actually reminded me of a skewed British version of Lost in Translation, in depicting the discomfort of a lonely Englishman abroad. In fact, with Toby Jones' pudgy face, language difficulties and questionable mental state, it could well be an account of Gazza's time at Lazio. No? Well, it's as valid an interpretation as any. Listen, don't expect it to make sense, but it'll probably stick in your ears for a day or two afterwards. (7/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to jamiemorrison2)
Post #: 3
- 9/2/2013 8:25:45 PM   
gzus

A film about sound and cleverly written too. I thought visually it should have been grittier to get that authentic '70's look as everyting about it is very slick. I loved the fact that you see such little action; as with all good horror films-it should be left to the imagination.

Post #: 4
- 9/2/2013 8:25:46 PM   
gzus

A film about sound and cleverly written too. I thought visually it should have been grittier to get that authentic '70's look as everyting about it is very slick. I loved the fact that you see such little action; as with all good horror films-it should be left to the imagination.

Post #: 5
BERBARIAN BOLLOCKS..... - 26/2/2013 4:26:28 PM   
ROTGUT

This is the kind of horror film that snobby film critics tend to like but I loathe. Too dull, too talkative, weird just for the sake of being weird and – most crucially – NOT VERY SCARY!!! I would have preferred to watch the fake movie that the characters were actually working on rather than sit through this RUBBISH again. ONE STAR.

Post #: 6
A long, drawn out, empty experience - 27/2/2013 6:19:59 PM   
Paulypoos

I really wanted to like this but couldnt....despite the superb Jones being in it. It just dragged on and NOTHING HAPPENED, you kept expecting it to, some little twist or final big climax but no...nothing....just a guy getting more and more frustrated and then it ended. Yes it looked nice and was quite atmospheric but it was so empty and went nowhere....just watching the interviews with the pretentious director left me wanting to berate him for such an exercise in banality. He had the finance, the talented actors and he made THIS, what a waste.....utter boredom.

< Message edited by Paulypoos -- 27/2/2013 6:24:05 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: A long, drawn out, empty experience - 9/3/2013 7:45:46 PM   
Davross

Up there with Django as 2012 film of the year, weird, atmospheric and well written. I don't think of it as a horror film though.

Actually, on second thoughts, it probably was a boat accident!

(in reply to Paulypoos)
Post #: 8
RE: A long, drawn out, empty experience - 10/3/2013 3:37:48 AM   
demoncleaner

My No ! film of the year.

Funny, creepy, and humble.

After seeing this I went down the town and, bought Katalin Varga....there's no mistake Peter Strickland can be mentioned in the same breath as Paul Thomas Anderson as 2 of the must-see film-makers of the moment.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 10/3/2013 3:41:02 AM >

(in reply to Davross)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Berberian Sound Studio Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI