Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Big Match Revisited (ITV4)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> The Big Match Revisited (ITV4) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Big Match Revisited (ITV4) - 6/1/2013 2:20:48 AM   
horribleives

I only ever seem to come across this late at night when I'm pissed but it's an absolute fucking joy every time. Man U v West Brom (1978) is on right now. A bit before my time (well, I was less than a year old so - to quote Louis CK - I hadn't quite 'came online' just yet) and it currently stands at 3-3 at half-time but just hearing the theme tune and names like Bailey and Regis is enough to get my nostalgia glands tingling. Marvellous.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.
Post #: 1
RE: The Big Match Revisited (ITV4) - 6/1/2013 2:39:15 AM   
horribleives

I love the way they used to interview the two managers side by side post-match - Ron Atkinson and Dave Sexton going out of their way to be nice to each other and pay tribute to the opposition. Christ, it's like a completely different sport.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 2
RE: The Big Match Revisited (ITV4) - 6/1/2013 3:01:54 AM   
horribleives

I enjoyed that so much I'm gonna roll a massive bifta, go on YouTube and watch a load of '80s FA Cup Finals - Man U V Brighton (1983) and Everton v Watford (1984) here I come.
Remember how awesome the FA Cup final was in the '80s? It was like Christmas Day - the build up (on both channels - though BBC always edged it) went on all day and, aside from the World Cup, it was just about the most exciting afternoon in the football calender. And it didn't even matter who was in it (christ, my team never were) - it was just (if you'll pardon the cliche) magical.
I'm sure it'll have much the same effect on young 'uns nationwide this year when ITV sneak it on at 5 o'clock in just before Britain's Got Talent...

Post #: 3
RE: The Big Match Revisited (ITV4) - 22/1/2013 4:00:56 PM   
horribleives

If anyone fancies a laugh, I implore you to check out saturday's episode on ITV player (Arsenal v Forest/Leeds v Man City). The final ten minutes features an interview with Barry Hughes, voted Personality of the Month for blowing a raspberry at another manager (imagine that!) which appeared to generate the same amount of controversy as Fergie punching a linesman would these days. It's quaintly bizarre yet deeply bitter and the closest I've come to shitting a lung out laughing.
Oh and while you're there, have a look at the 'goalkeeping howlers' halfway through - Brian Moore's commentary is pure Partridge.

Post #: 4
RE: The Big Match Revisited (ITV4) - 22/1/2013 4:07:09 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Were the goalies wearing gloves? I'm always slightly taken aback when I watch games from the 70s and its bare hands on cold days with those hard footies... ouch. De Gea take note, if you weren't wearing namby pamby gloves, you'd not be pushing the ball out to the opposition.

EDIT: I also make a complete arse of myself for calling for a free kick every time the ball is passed back to the goalie

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 22/1/2013 4:08:01 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: The Big Match Revisited (ITV4) - 22/1/2013 4:11:33 PM   
horribleives

Gary Bailey, Pat Jennings, etc - not a glove between them.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 6
RE: The Big Match Revisited (ITV4) - 22/1/2013 4:23:48 PM   
horribleives

Not content with reducing Brian Moore to fits of giggles by taunting managers he has massive grudges against, Hughes was also something of a pop star in his adopted home of Holland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh7Lb-sGCbk

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> The Big Match Revisited (ITV4) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI