Suede

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Suede Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suede - 6/1/2013 2:18:52 AM   
Mister Coe

So... I just found out that Suede are putting out a new album this year... damn, this is apparently old news, I used to be so on top of these things!

For younger posters, let me explain... Suede were pretty big news in the early 90's. They were on the front cover of the NME before they'd even put out a single, hyped as THE BEST NEW BAND IN BRITAIN!!! And, despite that, they lived up to the hype, IMO. Their first three albums were superb, barely a duff track between them... even better, some of their best songs were thrown away on b-sides, collected on a 2-CD compilation called 'Sci-Fi Lullabies', which is possibly their best album. I mean, most bands today would kill to have songs like the ones on SFL...

Albums 4 and 5 were a bit patchier but there was a lot of good stuff still to be had. Suede fell out of fashion and the albums stopped selling, so they split. There has been a reunion and a few gigs in the last couple of years and it looks like they're going for the whole comeback deal, just like so many 90's bands did... they deserve it.

If you're interested, get the SINGLES compilation, you can pick it up really cheap from the usual sources... you won't regret it.

Any thoughts, guys..?

Say what now?
Post #: 1
RE: Suede - 6/1/2013 12:43:35 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Got into them when they reunited, started with the recent Best Of then bought the remastered reissues of their albums. I think A New Morning isn't as bad as everyone makes out. The band's gig at the Royal Albert Hall is stunning, can't wait for the new record. Hoping for a full UK tour this time.

Also, I do a mean Animal Nitrate on karaoke !

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 2
RE: Suede - 6/1/2013 1:26:10 PM   
Skiba

They're one of my missus' favourite bands and she got in to them when she came to London in the mid-nineties...I think they're alright. They've certainly grown on me anyways as I really didn't like them at the time...Brett's voice really grated on me!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 3
RE: Suede - 7/1/2013 2:33:02 PM   
ElephantBoy

Heard the new single on 6Music this morning and its very U2ish and no that is not a good thing imo.

Like has prevously been said their first three albums were very good, they menaged to deliver dark pop, while still having a broad appeal and speaking to the working class. Just think they have peaked awhile now. They never strike me as a band who want to go on or need to, it is just a habbit almost.

Would like to see them live more than listen to a new LP, but I will keep a open mind.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 4
RE: Suede - 7/1/2013 7:29:28 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Heard the new single on 6Music this morning and its very U2ish and no that is not a good thing imo.

Like has prevously been said their first three albums were very good, they menaged to deliver dark pop, while still having a broad appeal and speaking to the working class. Just think they have peaked awhile now. They never strike me as a band who want to go on or need to, it is just a habbit almost.

Would like to see them live more than listen to a new LP, but I will keep a open mind.

New single? Excuse me while I check this out...

Again, I used to be on top of these things...

Say what now?

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5
RE: Suede - 7/1/2013 9:04:09 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I guess i can't be 100% that it was a new single, just a new Suede track, Lauran just called it a Free MP3 or something like that.

New single? Excuse me while I check this out...

Again, I used to be on top of these things...

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 6
RE: Suede - 7/1/2013 10:56:12 PM   
Skiba

Yep, it's new material. There's a link in here to a free download: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2013/jan/07/suede-barriers?intcmp=ILCMUSTXT9386

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 7
RE: Suede - 7/1/2013 11:11:17 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Yep, it's new material. There's a link in here to a free download: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2013/jan/07/suede-barriers?intcmp=ILCMUSTXT9386

Cheers, Skiba. A good song, I think, not quite up there with the classic Suede songs but a lot better than many of the songs that are fashionable right now...looking forward to the new album...

Say what now?

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 8
RE: Suede - 4/2/2013 10:34:21 PM   
tommyjarvis

Another new song, "It Starts And Ends With You" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D54iGj64dis

Suede

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 9
RE: Suede - 4/2/2013 11:36:56 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

Another new song, "It Starts And Ends With You" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D54iGj64dis

Suede

Just checked it out... fantastic.

Seeing as we're talking about Suede, I finally got the extended version of 'A New Morning'. What were they thinking about when they chose the track listing when they had so many other great songs? ANM is probably their weakest album but if songs like 'Cheap', 'Simon', 'Campfire Song' 'Cool Thing' and 'One Love' hadn't been pushed onto b-sides (and 'Oceans' and 'You Belong To Me' being singles, not hidden unlisted extra tracks), then maybe that album wouldn't have flopped like it did.

Say what now?

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 10
RE: Suede - 5/2/2013 8:15:46 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

Suede

I liked Barriers but this is just awesome! Can't wait for Bloodsports next month, praying for a full UK tour this time!

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Suede Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI