Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 5/1/2013 9:01:17 AM   
mclane1

Watching 'the grey' again i could not help being sooooooo disappointed that we didn't see that wolf brawl.

I know the point is that at the beginning of the film big liam wants to die and at the end he wants to fight for his life, but after the score kicks in, the flashbacks emote and he straps bloody bottles and knives to his hands it feels like there should have been 'that' fight.

in the case of 'the grey' the marketing is mainly to blame in my view, clearly giving that money shot of neeson all tooled up and definitely suggesting if you see this movie neeson will be having a big scrap with wolves!

what do you think, any more endings that dont deliver what they promise?

If the cash is there, we do not care.
Post #: 1
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 5/1/2013 11:06:36 AM   
UTB

There's no way Neeson would have survived all the other wolves, so really it ended as soon as he realised he was in a den and was surrounded.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 2
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 5/1/2013 4:10:19 PM   
horribleives

Re: The Grey (SPOILERS)

I thought the ending was great - the point is not whether he survives but that he fights (though the post-credits sequence does leave it on an ambigious note).
The climax of Beberian Sound Studio was somewhat underwhelming.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 3
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 5/1/2013 5:51:58 PM   
rich

The Grey was all build up and no pay-off. A few more moments before cutting to black would have been fine, instead it feels like something didn't get finished in the effects shop.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 4
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 5/1/2013 6:27:19 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I thought the ending was great - the point is not whether he survives but that he fights (though the post-credits sequence does leave it on an ambigious note).
The climax of Beberian Sound Studio is an example of brilliance.

Fixed.

MORE SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

Edit: Actually I can see why, but it got to me, and the sudden jump into nightmares and the Italian dubbing I found to be brilliant and perfectly brought forward.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 5/1/2013 6:28:28 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 5
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 5/1/2013 11:42:27 PM   
Whistler

I think The Grey's ending is perfect the way it is.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 7/1/2013 2:13:32 PM   
grucl

Kill Bill vol. 2.

The Bride kills her way through the list (well half of it since one of them doesn't die by her hand and the other one survivies).

Then she finally finds the man she was after and...sits down to have a chat with him. The titular killing of Bill happens almost as an afterthought.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 7
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 7/1/2013 2:30:09 PM   
Dannybohy

SINISTER!!! damn shame as the movie builds up amazingly and then it teeters off into familiar territory!! really felt like it should of been 30 min longer and should have a more complex/surprise ending

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 8
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 7/1/2013 4:12:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Kill Bill vol. 2.

The Bride kills her way through the list (well half of it since one of them doesn't die by her hand and the other one survivies).

Then she finally finds the man she was after and...sits down to have a chat with him. The titular killing of Bill happens almost as an afterthought.

I think that is the point - revenge isn't always what you think it will be.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 9
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 7/1/2013 4:22:30 PM   
Deviation

The final discussion with Bill and the subsequent crying (if I remember well) are probably my favorite bits of those films.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 10
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 7/1/2013 4:28:03 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Kill Bill vol. 2.

Maybe... but after the battle with the Crazy 88 in Vol. 1, it makes for a huge anticlimax.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 11
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 7/1/2013 4:31:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Kill Bill vol. 2.

Maybe... but after the battle with the Crazy 88 in Vol. 1, it makes for a huge anticlimax.

To be fair...just about anything would have been an anti-climax after that.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 12
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 7/1/2013 4:31:57 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

The final discussion with Bill and the subsequent crying (if I remember well) are probably my favorite bits of those films.

Me too.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 13
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 7/1/2013 5:43:25 PM   
mclane1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

SINISTER!!! damn shame as the movie builds up amazingly and then it teeters off into familiar territory!! really felt like it should of been 30 min longer and should have a more complex/surprise ending

i agree

If the cash is there, we do not care.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 14
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 7/1/2013 11:06:13 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Copland (1997)

A solid film only let down by a somewhat rushed ending/finale.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 15
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 8/1/2013 10:18:12 AM   
pauljthomas

Spoilers-The Lovely Bones 

I haven't read the book so I can't compare the 2 endings, however I felt that there was no real closure into finding Susies body & how the villain dies was a terrible cop out.

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 16
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 8/1/2013 10:21:13 AM   
spark1

what was the ending of polanski's 'ninth gate' all about?!?!!?

(in reply to pauljthomas)
Post #: 17
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 8/1/2013 11:57:42 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

The climax of Beberian Sound Studio is an example of brilliance.

Fixed.

MORE SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

Edit: Actually I can see why, but it got to me, and the sudden jump into nightmares and the Italian dubbing I found to be brilliant and perfectly brought forward.

I thought it was great for the most part and I'm planning on giving it a re-watch on DVD but the last twenty minutes or so thoroughly disappointed me. I'm all for a bit of ambiguity but it killed the suspense stone dead.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 18
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 8/1/2013 8:51:21 PM   
Alan Grant

No Country for Old Men.

*Spoiler Alert*

Was Llewelyn Moss' (Josh Brolin) death the biggest anti-climax ever? Blink and you miss it stuff. Loved the film, 5 out 5 stuff, but the final 20 minutes left a bitter after taste for me, almost rushed.

Babies smell!

Films viewed in 2013

My film collection

Post #: 19
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 9/1/2013 9:10:46 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

quote:

i agree

Good start to the year then ;)
I was really hoping it would turn out to be the Sheriff was the Killer, they could of has a revelation that he had moved around the Police force over the years that coincided with the murders?!. Real life evil is so much scarier than supernatural.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 20
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 9/1/2013 7:21:31 PM   
sandy666

Val Kilmer's The Saint.

The film telegraphs that Elisabeth Shue's character is supposed to die at the end (creating the Saint), but I guess test screenings won out and we got a re(shot) happy ending even though it stuck out like a sore thumb.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 21
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 9/1/2013 10:43:58 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

quote:

i agree

Good start to the year then ;)
I was really hoping it would turn out to be the Sheriff was the Killer, they could of has a revelation that he had moved around the Police force over the years that coincided with the murders?!. Real life evil is so much scarier than supernatural.

SPOILERS FOR SINISTER

I agree. I thought the supernatural element was a pretty big cop-out. Though, of course, it would've been hard to have the killer be a human after they had him photographed casually chilling at the bottom of a pool.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 22
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 12/1/2013 6:56:37 PM   
halby

law abiding citizen .a half decent film but a pish poor ending

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 23
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 13/1/2013 7:30:08 PM   
Spiked

Clerks comes to mind. Kind of makes you realise it's not so much a film, rather a looslely assembled collection of scenes.

(in reply to halby)
Post #: 24
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 13/1/2013 7:45:36 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spiked

Clerks comes to mind. Kind of makes you realise it's not so much a film, rather a looslely assembled collection of scenes.

Some very good films have been that though.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Spiked)
Post #: 25
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 14/1/2013 12:47:14 PM   
great_badir

Not so much it didn't deliver, more it annoyed the hell out of me - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

I have to caveat this by saying I have not read the book(s), nor have I seen Fincher's remake, but I was more than slightly miffed at sitting there for over two hours whilst a very complex mystery with a million twists and turns was being set up, only to then be told that it was actually completely coincidental to the main plot and actually had nothing to do with it.

I've not been so insensed since Michael Douglas jumped off a building and landed unscathed on a crash mat.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 26
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 14/1/2013 12:58:13 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Not so much it didn't deliver, more it annoyed the hell out of me - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

I have to caveat this by saying I have not read the book(s), nor have I seen Fincher's remake, but I was more than slightly miffed at sitting there for over two hours whilst a very complex mystery with a million twists and turns was being set up, only to then be told that it was actually completely coincidental to the main plot and actually had nothing to do with it.

I've not been so insensed since Michael Douglas jumped off a building and landed unscathed on a crash mat.

I know a few people who felt shortchanged but I thought the ending to The Game was brilliant.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 27
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 14/1/2013 1:06:31 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I was really liking The Game up until that stupid ending.

Jeff Spicoli: "Hey, remember when you were shot at, thrown off a pier in a taxi, almost drowned and then I made you think you killed me? Yeah, that was the game. It was just a bit of fun. I was just yanking your chain, bro."

Mikey Douglas: "Oh, you little wag, you. Gimme a hug, dude."

Fuck. Off.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 14/1/2013 1:07:35 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 28
RE: Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! - 14/1/2013 1:28:26 PM   
great_badir

I too love The Game and, to be fair, the film would be completely pointless without the ending as it is (the whole point is for Michael Douglas' character to learn a big lesson, after all). However, yes - it goes beyond mere poetic licence.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Endings that don't deliver- SPOILERS! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI