Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 1:28:59 PM   
rawlinson

Prometheus was kinda meh. Fassbender was superb though.
Carnage had some brilliant acting and I love that wasn't afraid to make you dislike every character.
21 Jump Street was so much fun.
Lawless I loved.
The Descendants, see Lawless.
Young Adult Theron was never an actor I had much time for, but she was perfect here. And my man Patton was even better.
The Raid. Can't decide I if I like this or Dredd more.
Cabin in the Woods - It's basically Whedon doing what he did with Buffy and Angel on t.v., having fun with the tropes of the genre and throwing in a few laughs. Fun though.
Ted - Meh
Avengers - A bit overlong, but amazingly entertaining.
The Artist - The dog was cute, Dujardin was great. The directing and the story let them down.
The Muppets - Lovely
Life of Pi - Haven't seen. Not a fan of Ang Lee in general, and the script is by the guy responsible for the soul-suck that was Finding Neverland. Not a in a big hurry to see it.
The Hobbit - My cinema trip to see it has been delayed till the weekend
Haywire - Didn't bother seeing it.
The Master - PTA's best film to date
About Elly - Haven't bothered with
Silver Linings - I want to see it, just to see if Cooper really is good. I'm hoping it's more Spanking the Monkey than The Fighter though.
Argo - Affleck is slowly turning into one of America's best directors.
Beasts - Very good
Skyfall - Best Bond ever.
Dark Knight Rises - Nolan really needs to get a good editor. The middle four hours was coma inducing.
Amour - Haven't seen yet.
Holy Motors - Again, not seen. Really looking forward to it.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 31
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 1:43:08 PM   
MovieAddict247

Carnage - Watching it, I could see how well it works as a play, but loses something when translated to film. However, that could be because I knew it first as a play - all four performances were brilliant.

The Descendants - One of those good films that I really am neutral on - it's a bit meh to me, but I can see why others like it. Though I laughed at the fact Shaggy from Scooby Doo stole George Clooney's wife.

The Cabin in the Woods - great fun.

The Avengers - Mark Ruffalo was the best thing ever, (though Captain America's legs gave him a run for his money), Really enjoyed it.

The Artist - lovely.

The Muppets - two awful songs in it, but the rest was fabulous.

Life of Pi - suprised me in that they managed to make it into a film. Some really strong scenes, some really lacklustre scenes.

The Hobbit - really enjoyed this more than I thought and Freeman is superb.

The Master - very, very, very good indeed. Both leads were stunning, and Amy Adams really suprised me.

Argo - really strong (though the camera work at the beginning was a little funny, once it calmed down the film became pretty good).

Skyfall - wonderful and glorious - most fun I've had at the cinema in recent years.

Dark Knight Rises - should have cut Cotillard completely and SPOILERS Bane should have had a more dramatic death but otherwise it was ok.

No Moonrise Kingdom though....for shame.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 32
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 1:47:01 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Dark Knight Rises - should have cut Cotillard completely

Yep. I'm not sure how much is her fault and how much is down to Nolan's writing, but she's been the worst thing about two Nolan films in a row.

quote:

And no Berberian Sound Studio or Margaret either. Shame on Home-diddly indeed.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 33
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 1:55:12 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

And no Berberian Sound Studio or Margaret either. Shame on Home-diddly indeed.

Missed all of those at the cinema. Gonna catch them this year.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 34
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 1:58:49 PM   
rawlinson

You should add Grabbers and From the Sea to the Land Beyond to the view list as well.

Post #: 35
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 1:59:40 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

quote:

Dark Knight Rises - should have cut Cotillard completely

Yep. I'm not sure how much is her fault and how much is down to Nolan's writing, but she's been the worst thing about two Nolan films in a row.

I had nothing against her performance really, but there was no need for her character. It was such an unncessarily addition to the story. She sidelined Bane (Hardy was extraordinary, I thought, and that voice worked wonderfully) and Hathaway (and this was the first performance I've seen of hers since the Princess Diaries that I thought was actually good).

And Nolan's writing is sloppy, in parts - especially the women in Inception and Cotillard in this.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 36
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 2:02:27 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Hathaway, I've seen her sloppy parts.

2013: just like 2012.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 37
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 2:04:22 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I had nothing against her performance really, but there was no need for her character. It was such an unncessarily addition to the story. She sidelined Bane (Hardy was extraordinary, I thought, and that voice worked wonderfully) and Hathaway (and this was the first performance I've seen of hers since the Princess Diaries that I thought was actually good).

Agree with most of that, but I didn't like her performance and I generally do like Hathaway.

quote:

And Nolan's writing is sloppy, in parts - especially the women in Inception and Cotillard in this.

I think his writing has been going downhill for a while. I think most of his films have brilliant stuff in them, they just really need to be focused a lot more tightly. Personally I don't think it's a coincidence that the work of his I like most were made before he started getting huge budgets.

Post #: 38
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 2:05:14 PM   
MonsterCat

Catwoman aside, Nolan's not so great with writing for women.

Marion Cotillard - a really fine actress - is stuck with a nothing role in The Dark Knight Rises.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 39
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 2:25:16 PM   
matty_b

Prometheus - superb trailers, let down of a film.

21 Jump Street - is this just about everyone's biggest surprise of the year? Really, really funny.

The Descendants - I'm a big fan of Alexander Payne and this was no let down. Woodley was robbed of an Oscar nom in a very weak year.

Young Adult - same goes for Theron and Oswalt, actually (different categories, obvs).

Cabin in the Woods - a big ball of fun, and Whedon's work usually leaves me cold.

Ted - pretty shit. The mixture of gross-out stuff and geeky in-jokes was really unwieldy (at the cinema I saw it in, there was a definite split between those who only found one out of the two above funny and it started to get really awkward after a while), and considering it's about a walking, talking, fucking teddy bear, it doesn't actually do anything interesting with the concept.

Avengers - once it gets going, it's smashing fun. And gotta agree with everyone, Ruffalo's Hulk stole the film.

The Artist - frothy with lovely bits on top, not a whole lot underneath.

The Muppets - good.

The Hobbit - like Homer, expectation was somewhere around zero for this. But came away bowled over by it.

Haywire - really good.

The Master - Amy Adams wanks Philip Seymour Hoffman off into a sink. A sight I thought I'd never see.

Silver Linings Playbook - again, like Homer, was barely interested in it, but it's really, really great.

Argo - Ben Affleck: where did it all go so right for him?

Beasts of the Southern Wild - lovely, lovely film.

Skyfall - top three Bond at least.

Dark Knight Rises - the screenplay needed such a big case of scissors taking to it. The siege of Gotham is a brilliant idea, but more of the film needed to be devoted to it, not just the last third.

Everything else I'm either not bothered about or just haven't caught up with yet.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 40
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 2:53:13 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

The Master - Amy Adams wanks Philip Seymour Hoffman off into a sink. A sight I thought I'd never see.

Lucky him.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 41
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 3:17:57 PM   
impqueen

#24. Prometheus (77th for Imp) Ė A good cinematic experience BUT not a film I really liked and though I appreciate the design and such, it got worse and more problematic when I rewatched it (various family cinema trips). It isnít helped by my apathy towards Fassbender.

#23. Carnage (65th) A film I think that needs another go, I enjoyed Waltz and there are some great bits here and there but I wasnít completely convinced. However Kate Winslet projectile vomiting was a highlight.

#21 Jump Street (75th) Yeah umm yeah. It seems it was a revelation for many but not for me.

#20. The Descendants (26th) I absolutely loved it first time out; itíll be interesting to see if it holds up.

#19. Young Adult (57th) Again it has moments that I really enjoyed but as a wholeÖ

#18. The Raid (59th) I preferred Dredd.

#17. The Cabin in the Woods (60th) It was a better film second time out, I think I personally would have preferred more of Whitford and Jenkins.

#16. Ted (92nd) Suffice to say Iím not a fan of Mr Macfarlane. Loathed it.

#15. Avengers Assemble (58th) Muddled and noisy but good popcorn fun, though again repeat viewings do it no favours.

#13. The Muppets (38th) Loved it, stands up to repeat viewings and is both incredibly funny and genuinely moving.

#11. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (31st) Despite a superfluous opening, I found it a thoroughly entertaining couple of hours.

#10. Haywire Ė I saw it early in the year but it seems to have disappeared from my listÖIt was okay, I didnít think it was special.

#09. The Master (12th) The best film I saw at the cinema in term of being cinematic. The film is also brilliant.

#07. Silver Linings Playbook (30th) Biggest surprise? I thought it was superb.

#06. Argo (52nd) Damn fine film, probably going to get Best Picture. I liked it but not THAT much. Still Affleck gets more and more interesting as a director though personally heís yet to top Gone Baby Gone.

#05. Beasts of the Southern Wild (68th) I experienced it but I found myself drifting and becoming increasingly uninvolved (frustrated) with the whole escapade and eventually didnít really care about what was going on. Quvenzhale Wallis is strong though.

#04. Skyfall (37th) Brilliant film. Iíve seen it twice now (took a family member to see it last night) and Iím thrilled it stands up to another viewing, more like this please.

#03. The Dark Knight Rises (67th) I donít hate it, in fact I enjoyed it at the cinema but I think it has a lot of problems and fades quickly in that last hour or so. Begins remains the best of an ambitious and flawed trilogy for me.

#02. Amour (1st) Itís amazeballs.

Not Seen:
Lawless Ė Lost interest rapidly, will probably see it on DVD.
Life of Pi Ė Hoping to see it in the next week or so.
About Elly Ė Massively gutted I didnít get to this.
Holy Motors Ė Looking forward to the Blu Ray.

Cheers Homer, interesting list

Yes, always.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 42
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 4:06:21 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Holy Motors will look phenomenal on bluray. I'm champing at the bit to see it again. Can't recommend it enough.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 43
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 4:08:54 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Whoop! Seen everything on the list!

#24. Prometheus - as you say, it is indeed a fascinating failure. New-cuts may improve it in the long run, sadly though they wont improve the script. Fassbender is great though.

#23. Carnage - very stagey but provides a lot of laughs. Don't know how it would compare if I had seen the play.

#22. 21 Jump Street - Channing Tatum: Comedy genius.

#21. Lawless - disappointing. Leboeuf is the best thing in it, Guy Pierce seems to think he's in a different film to everyone else. Great soundtrack & photography though - but that's the least I'd expect from a Hillcoat film.

#20. The Descendants - excellent drama that captures that idea of a dysfunctional family rallying together in the midst of tragedy.

#19. Young Adult - Theron is brilliant. Almost makes me forgive her for those horrid perfume adverts - almost I stress.

#18. The Raid - delirious violent fun, thoroughly enjoyed it.

#17. The Cabin in the Woods - extremely enjoyable, but it just needed to be scary for it to fully work. Still, one of the most memorable films of last year.

#16. Ted - never fully exploits the teddy bear angle & then just slides into MacFarlene's fairly "meh" humour which has turned Family Guy into a bit of a repetitive bore. Liked the Flash Gordon stuff though.

#15. Avengers Assemble - If Nolan's Bat universe offers the more serious side of the superhero psyche, this is a great 'light on its feet' alternative. Also one of the funniest films of the year. Really enjoyed it.

#14. The Artist - Still wonderful & still so much more than a pastiche.

#13. The Muppets - if you can put your reservations about Walter & the house of mouse PR machine to one side, it's glorious. McKenzie's songs are absolutely majestic. Comfortably my favourite kids film of last year.

#12. Life of Pi - Probably the film that took me by surprise the most in 2012. A genuinely wonderful experience that is emotionally engaging, thematically strong & technically astonishing to observe. Don't let the Coldplay-soundtrack trailer put you off - it's so much better than that.

#11. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - far too long & I worry how they'll fill in the time with the next two. Put simply, Smegol saves the day.

#10. Haywire - an interesting experiment with the action genre which doesn't fully work. I liked Carano, I really didn't like Holmes's score. There's a time & a place Mr. Soderberg, but using coffee shop funk music for all your films is a big problem for me.

#09. The Master - lacks a compelling narrative, but makes up for it with a pair of very compelling characters. Will inevitably go up in my estimation on repeat viewings.

#08. About Elly - not quite of the same level as A Separation, but still absolutely brilliant. On the basis of these two films alone, Farhadi's my favourite contemporary director of actors by a country mile.

#07. Silver Linings Playbook - excellent performances & treats the subject of mental illness with respect (although the audience I saw it with sadly didn't), yet ultimately still conforms to a traditional romcom drama formula. O'Russell's over-exuberant direction also lets it down occasionally.

#06. Argo - arguably the finest mainstream Hollywood film of 2012. Yeah there's a "Hollywood saves the day" agenda at work but that will only be troublesome if you allow it to be. It's a perfectly crafted, suspenseful thriller which like the Avengers, is also one of the funniest films of the year without actually being a comedy. Affleck has certainly come on leaps & bounds.

#05. Beasts of the Southern Wild - a film which makes quite an impact on first-viewing, yet doesn't quite hold up as well on repeat viewings. The two amateurs are great though & it's certainly the best juxtaposition of fantasy & reality I witnessed last year.

#04. Skyfall - I feel narratively-speaking it loses its way a bit once we go to Scotland, yet it's still the Best Bond in decades and certainly for my money the best looking one I've ever seen.

#03. The Dark Knight Rises - probably the most awkward of the three, but still my big mainstream highlight of 2012 which managed to successfully conclude proceedings in a satisfying manner. I still adore the ambition & intent on display, even if the near ending (like both Kim Newman & even Charlie Brooker pointed out) is essentially the same as Batman the movie.

#02. Amour - my film of 2012. Haneke's analytical approach results in a deeply moving yet life-affirming film. A proper masterpiece.

#01. Holy Motors - unlike anything I watched in 2012 with Lavant delivering the best performance I saw in anything. Genuinely mad, yet felt like Carax's own personal feelings about cinema past & present manifested on screen. Good choice as a number 1.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 44
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 2/1/2013 10:48:24 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Prometheus was kinda meh. Fassbender was superb though.
Carnage had some brilliant acting and I love that wasn't afraid to make you dislike every character.21 Jump Street was so much fun.
Lawless I loved.
The Descendants, see Lawless.
Young Adult Theron was never an actor I had much time for, but she was perfect here. And my man Patton was even better.
The Raid. Can't decide I if I like this or Dredd more.
Cabin in the Woods - It's basically Whedon doing what he did with Buffy and Angel on t.v., having fun with the tropes of the genre and throwing in a few laughs. Fun though.
Ted - Meh
Avengers - A bit overlong, but amazingly entertaining.
The Artist - The dog was cute, Dujardin was great. The directing and the story let them down.
The Muppets - Lovely
Life of Pi - Haven't seen. Not a fan of Ang Lee in general, and the script is by the guy responsible for the soul-suck that was Finding Neverland. Not a in a big hurry to see it.
The Hobbit - My cinema trip to see it has been delayed till the weekend
Haywire - Didn't bother seeing it.
The Master - PTA's best film to date
About Elly - Haven't bothered with
Silver Linings - I want to see it, just to see if Cooper really is good. I'm hoping it's more Spanking the Monkey than The Fighter though. Argo - Affleck is slowly turning into one of America's best directors.
Beasts - Very good
Skyfall - Best Bond ever.
Dark Knight Rises - Nolan really needs to get a good editor. The middle four hours was coma inducing.
Amour - Haven't seen yet.
Holy Motors - Again, not seen. Really looking forward to it.

That is just what I thought about Carnage, the fact it was played in a malodramatic way and we weren't encourege to engage with the stuffy characters.

Silver Linings is more SPTM than Fighter.

Carnage 7.5/10 - Ripe performances from a top cast, brilliant pacing, very funny.

The Descendants 7.5/10 - One of Clooney's most subtle and effecting performances, lovely use of music and nice mix of darkness and comedy.

Young Adult 8/10 - Painfully funny, Theron is superb. Believable and funny.

The Cabin in the Woods 8/10 - Sharply written, it menages to send horror up while not talking down to its audience, it also had enough chilling moments and great effects to keep things interesting.

Avengers Assemble 7.5/10 - Sharply handled, with depth and great set pieces and mostly strong acting.

The Artist 7.5/10 - Actually 2011,anyway I enjoyed it.

The Muppets 8/10 - Magical.

The Master 7.5/10 - First half an hour is as good as any you will see, compelling performances, and edgy visuals and atmosphere. It is more character than story driven, but still unique cinema.

About Elly 8/10 - Powerful, with a wonderful cast.

Silver Linings Playbook 8/10 - Menages to balance comedy and tredgy perfectly, the central relationship is very believeable and the cast very committed. Great screenplay and Lawerance really deserves a Oscar now.

The Dark Knight Rises 7/10 - The weakest of the three, mostly because of the dull Bane character and the slow begaining, but still an intense, moody action film with a host of great performances (including Cotillard who was the best performance in Inception Rawls)and a sharp twist near the end.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 2/1/2013 10:50:44 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 45
RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 - 3/1/2013 2:13:21 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nice list, Homer! Plenty I need to see though.

Prometheus - Liked it a lot. Flawed but interesting.
Lawless - Guy Pearce seemed to have walked in from another film. More violent than I expected.
Cabin In The Woods - Great fun.
Ted - I would have liked it more but the cinema audience I saw it with was the worst I've ever experienced.
Avengers - Ace
The Artist - Just lovely.
The Muppets - The Muppet sequences featuring non-new Muppets are pure genius. it stumbles at other times but remains perfect entertainment.
The Hobbit - Best film of the year.
Haywire - Nice, efficient action film
Argo - Arkin, Goodman and Cranston were all excellent but disappeared for too many stretches of the film, and the characters that came to the fore in their absence weren't that that interesting.
Skyfall - Almost the best Bond
The Dark Knight Rises - Great in parts, not so much in others.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Homer's Top 24 of 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI