Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quartet - 1/1/2013 10:30:11 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 1/1/2013 10:30:11 AM   
BurguretBadger

A wonderful, comedy-drama set at a palatial British old peoples home dedicated to retired musicians. Cast by the hugely talented Lucy Bevan, this is a triumph for Dustin Hoffman in his directorial debut. A beautiful mix of love and tragedy played by the most talented veterans of stage, screen and orchestra.
All is harmonious until famous diva, Jean (Maggie Smith) arrives, much to the shock of her former husband, Reginald (Tom Courtenay) and former operatic partners played by Billy Connolly and Pauline Collins.
Micheal Gambon plays a perfect, cantakerous chairman of the annual review, a show provides funding to keep the home operating; under the watchful eye of the resident doctor,( Sheridan Smith). Connolly's Wilf and his flirtatious relationship with the doctor, provides plenty of light laughs. Collins adds a heart rending performance as the cracks of dementia take their toll on her memory. All of which provide the support for Smith's, oscar worthy, performance as she and Courtenay hobble towards a potential reconciliation.
Quartet will make you laugh and cry. It knocks the support stockings off the Marigold Hotel!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
A choppy, stilted mess. - 6/1/2013 10:43:38 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

Wow. That second act couldn't drag more if it wore a gold lamé dress, false lashes and started singing Hey Big Spender to a stag party.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 3
RE: - 7/1/2013 7:33:41 PM   
Clingfilm

The above review/comment by BurguretBadger sounds extremely fake! First and only post, no personal details, glowing review... hmm.

(in reply to BurguretBadger)
Post #: 4
Truly Awful !!! - 16/1/2013 8:40:43 PM   
rougier

Fans of Downton will enjoy this..your having a laugh, which is more than I was enduring this drawn out dross. The demographic in the cinema set the scene, I actually felt like I was in an old folks home watching the bloody thing. If you really want a laugh stay for the credits amongst the endless then and now images and names of operatic legends (I use the term loosely) is Andrew Sachs with 'Fawlty Towers 1975-79' - priceless - best and only laugh I had all night!

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Quartet Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI