Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 1/11/2013 5:52:05 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

One of the great things about being a student was being able to use the unlimited card & go see a moderate romantic comedy, a generic horror or a dumb but fun action movie in the middle of the day in a largely empty screening; free from the (frequently) irritating & cinema-etiquette defying behaviour indulged in by the scumbags I like to call the general public.

I miss those days...terribly.

Never thought about it that

Problem is in Brighton the Cineworld is a bit out the way from the City centre and where I live so have only been there once since moving, but will try harder in the future

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 61
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 14/11/2013 6:01:05 PM   
ElephantBoy

Filth (Jon S. Baird,97 Mins) 7/10
A good attempt at what I am guessing is a difficult book to film. James Macvory gives his most daring and powerful performance to date and the supporting cast are excellent too. The atmosphere and surreal visuals, seemed to do Welsh's warped world view justice, and the use of music, merged with fine editing, (such as the party scene when they are photocopying their tackles and 'Mr Vain' is playing) provides great satire. I have two complaints, first late on in the film they try to humanise the central character and it just felt too forced for me, and didn't work, also as a narrative it did feel a little too much like a random collection of events, maybe the book was like that I don't know.

London Film Festival Screenings

The Kids From the Port (Los Chicos Del Puerto) (Alberto Morais,78 Mins) 6/10
A film I would like to return too, as there is much merit, but I did find it a bit of a slog to watch at time. A good insight into the lives of young children living in a modern proverity ridden Spain. The child were very good, the sense of location and atmosphere effective, however it just lacked a cinematic life, was too static, and did not have enough of a story for me. Still well worth seeing.

La Paz (Santiago Loza,73 Mins) 7.5/10

The highlight of what I saw at this years Festival. A very subtle, beautifully directed and darkly moving and funny film about a man getting out of a mental aysum and his attempts to rebuild his life. Lisandro Rodriguez's performance is finely judged, getting the sense of the awkward nature of the character, and being perfectly blank and restrained,which made sense as the film does not give away just why he was recieving treatment, also it carefully builds to the more shocking moments in the film. The soundtrack had a very surreal air to it which I liked. Another positive was how the film actually offered some hope at the end and it really made me want to visit the place of the title too

Broadway Idiot (Doug Hamilton,80 Mins) 4/10

And my low light of the festival! Just to be clear on this I am not a Green Day fan at all, but that does not mean that there is not an interesting documentary to be made on the experiment to turn their American Idoit record into a Broadway Musical, sadly this self-indulgient love letter was not that film First problem Billy Joe is really boring. Second the film looks like an extended version of MTV cribs or maybe a DVD extra. Third Billy Joe is really boring. Fourth there is barely an attempt to challenge anyone at any point, it is all very safe and self-serving to the artists. Fifth, Billy Joe is really boring. Sixth, the attempts to tie 9/11 in with the teenage angst of the Album is very weak and not credible, and should have been questioned by the filmmakers. And Seventh, BILLY JOE IS BORING!!!

Pieta (Ki-duk-Kim,104 Mins) 7/10
This is the first time I have seen one of duk-Kim's films, (only 17 more to go!) and I found it to be one of the most gruelling experiences I have had in the cinema in a very long time. The story was very unique and the tension very raw and gripping, the odd moments of black comedy were well handled also, how I managed to find humour in such a reposive character I don't know. The performances are very good also, not least from Min-Soo Jo as the woman claiming to be the loan sharks mother. Overall really interesting, if a little too bleak and with certain questions over the characters.

Enough Said (Nicole Holofcener,93 Mins) 8/10
Holofcener brings her normal sharpness for social sataire, and makes a very credible, funny, but also honest romantic comedy about two very different people trying to find love at a later stage in life. In one of his last ever performances James Gandolfini shows what a vastire actor he really was with a very dry, funny, but also gentle and touching performance. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is also great and you two have good chemstry and of course Toni Collette and Catherine Keener are excellent as always. The dielouge and feel of the film is very naturalistic, and it does have those classic Holofcener akward moments to balance it out too.

Coming up I plan on seeing In Fear (free slackers screening tonight!), Gravity, Cloudy 2, maybe Captain Philips and The Selfish Giant, and a bunch of free stuff at Brighton Cinecity.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 62
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 15/12/2013 2:11:07 AM   
ElephantBoy

My second from last update of the year features a whopping ten films! So I will try and keep the reviews brief

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (Tommy Wirkola, 88 Mins) 2/10
Easily my worst film of 2013. Its just a bad idea from the get go. Renner and Artherton just sleep their way through the whole thing, the support cast are mostly useless, the characters bland and cliche, the special effects and make-up are lousy, the director bad and dialogue clunky. If this doesn't appear in most critics bottom of the year lists then something is really up

Gravity (Alfonso Cuaron, 91 Mins) 7.5/10
A gripping thrill ride from begaining till end, possibly the most effective use of 3D ever. The personal details of the characters were moving, and Bullock was very good, with for me Clooney the one weak link.

Blue is the Warmest Color (La Vie d'Adele) (Abdellatif Kechiche, 179 Mins) 7.5/10
Its possible that on the second viewing this will be one of my films of the year, but for now I consider it a very good film rather than a masterpiece and at times one I admired more than loved. It is too long, and felt like at times it was sticking a little too closely to the novel. However the naturalistic dialogue, and compelling visual style really drew me into the world of the film and made me believe in the characters and their experiences. Lea Seydoux and Adele Exarchopoulos play off each other wonderful and give easily two of the most powerful and committed performances of the year.

Family Weekend (Benjamin Epps, 102 Mins) 4/10
Only two things are note worthy from this run of the mill, made for TV style family comedy, one is that Kristin Chenoweth and Matthew Modine are pretty good ripe fun as the parents, and the other is the odd moments where the younger sister is dressed up and quoting lines from Cult films such as Dog Day Afternoon and Taxi Driver. Besides that its very forgettable and I was bemused at just who it was aimed at.

In Fear (Jeremy Lovering, 85 Mins) 7.5/10
Maybe the best horror of the year (not that its saying much). The central pairing are very believable and the tension carefully builds, with some fun oddball characters and nice visuals. The story kept me guessing right until the end and there are some great jump moments too.

Brighton Cinecity Screenings

Jeune ET Jolie (Young & Beautiful) (Francois Ozon, 94 Mins) 7.5/10
For me Ozon's best in about eight years. Yes there are a couple of unwanted cliches and contrived plot moments, but beyond those moments, this was a visually stylish, finely paced and believeable film which was funny and touching. Best of all in her debut model Marine Vacth gives a superb turn and the scenes between her and Geraldine Pailhas as the girls mother were very well played by both and very touching.

Exhibition (Joanna Hogg, 104 Mins) 6.5/10
On the whole a return to something like Hogg achived with The Unrelated. An interesting look at a slightly stuffy and oddball middle class couple, once again the scenes are very well observed and framed, with some unique use of naturalistic light and muted color schemes, the films does also go into some daring places, but again maybe the characters were just a bit too cold and unlikeable. Hogg's style can be a bit cold, but for me it works quite well.

Leviathan (Lucien Casting-Taylor, Verena Paravel, 87 Mins) 6/10
Yes techically brilliant and strange, with some original ideas, but to me the question mark was whether it is a proper film and belongs in the cinema. At times it did blur the lines a little too much and did become tidous also.

My Sweet Pepper Land (Hinear Saleem, 100 Mins) 8/10
This is a modern Spegetti Western and it works to perfection. A very earthy, and grainy visual style, with use of whether creating a tense atmosphere. The film manages to bring up some key modern issues and is gripping, while still having a lighter side and working as a genre piece also.

We Are the Best! (Vi ar bast!) (Lukas Moodysson,102 Mins) 8/10
Moodysson's latest would make a good companion piece to School of Rock. Its a charming coming of age tale about three outcast teenagers forming a Punk band to rebel against the politics of 1980's Sweden. The characters and their relationships with one another and the issues they face are very well written, the young cast do a cracking job and the music scenes are really handled. Its a very up lifting and one of the gems of the year.

Coming up before year end I hope to see Nebraska, Hunger Games: Catching Fire
and Carrie, plus maybe a few more.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 63
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 15/12/2013 11:13:19 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

My second from last update of the year features a whopping ten films! So I will try and keep the reviews brief

Easily my worst film of 2013. Its just a bad idea from the get go. Renner and Artherton just sleep their way through the whole thing, the support cast are mostly useless, the characters bland and cliche, the special effects and make-up are lousy, the director bad and dialogue clunky. If this doesn't appear in most critics bottom of the year lists then something is really up

I'm not unwilling to admit that it's complete pants, but I strangely had quite a lot of fun. It's sort of my new Van Helsing

Die Hard 5 is my worst film of the year by a mile.

Post #: 64
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 15/12/2013 12:04:20 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I'm not unwilling to admit that it's complete pants, but I strangely had quite a lot of fun. It's sort of my new Van Helsing

Die Hard 5 is my worst film of the year by a mile.

Some of Renner's dialogue was the only thing to take from it for me, at least that had a touqe in cheek element to it.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 65
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 26/12/2013 11:41:45 AM   
Padraic Coffey

My Top 10 of the Year

10. Behind the Candelabra
9. Trance
8. Good Vibrations
7. Only God Forgives
6. Lincoln
5. Zero Dark Thirty
4. Blue Jasmine
3. Stories We Tell
2. Before Midnight
1. Blue is the Warmest Colour

Honourable mentions: Made of Stone, The Selfish Giant, Alan Partridge Alpha Papa, Stoker (which, having rewatched Oldboy, I feel I may have underappreciated).

Films I failed to catch up with: A Field in England, The Act of Killing, Mud, Frances Ha, Call Girl, Upstream Colour, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, Nebraska.

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 66
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 26/1/2014 12:11:54 PM   
ElephantBoy

Gloria (Sebastian Lelio, 110 Mins) 7.5/10

Visually arresting and lyical, with a finely judged and complex central performance. The shift into the darker moments later in the film were well handled also. A bit unlucky not to make the Oscar short list.

The Paperboy (Lee Daniels, 107 Mins) 7/10

A fun and stylish piece of nostalgic b-picture cinema, with strong cast. The problem comes when the director tries to make it into a issues film, those moments didn't gel with the rest of the film.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Francis Lawrence, 146 Mins) 6.5/10

The good points are that the excellent supporting cast such as Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks and Donald Southernland this time get more screen time, and are all very effective, the introduction also of the likes of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Jena Melona and Amanda Plummer are welcome additions to the cast. There are still some sharp observations on celebrity culture, and the final half of the film is very dramatic and does a good job in setting up the final part(s). But for me this film lacked the edge of the first Hunger Games, it focused too much on the love triangle storyline which might not have been so bad if it was more interesting. It did feel more aimed at the teen crowd this time, where as the first part did have broader appeal. Overall a decent sequel, but they may struggle to keep things interesting third time around.

Will try and fit a few more in before my final list of the year.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 67
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 10/2/2014 4:57:34 PM   
FoxDhoj

My (almost final) top films of 2013:

25. Pandora's Promise (Dir. Robert Stone)
24. Only God Forgives (Dir. Nicolas Winding Refn)
23. Blue Jasmine (Dir. Woody Allen)
22. More Than Honey (Dir. Markus Imhoof)
21. To The Wonder (Dir. Terrence Malick)
20. A Highjacking (Dir. Tobias Lindholm)
19. We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks (Dir. Alex Gibney)
18. Rebellion (Dir. Matthieu Kassovitz)
17. All Is Lost (Dir. J. C. Chandor)
16. Stories We Tell (Dir. Sarah Polley)
15. Prisoners (Dir. Denis Villeneuve)
14. Bernie (Dir. Richard Linklater)
13. Django Unchained (Dir. Quentin Tarantino)
12. No (Dir. Pablo Larraìn)
11. Prince Avalanche (Dir. David Gordon Green)
10. Upstream Colour (Dir. Shane Carruth)
9. The Place Beyond The Pines (Dir. Derek Cianfrance)
8. Nebraska (Dir. Alexander Payne)
7. Side Effects (Dir. Steven Soderbergh)
6. Captain Phillips (Dir. Paul Greengrass)
5. The House I Live In (Dir. Eugene Jarecki)
4. Gravity (Dir. Alfonso Cuarón)
3. The Act Of Killing (Dir. Julian Oppenheimer)
2. Mud (Dir. Jeff Nichols)
1. Zero Dark Thirty (Dir. Kathryn Bigelow)

Special mentions:
Monsters University, Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God, Star Trek Into Darkness, Don Jon, Enough Said, The Way Way Back, The Kings Of Summer, Post Tenebras Lux, Pacific Rim, Sleep Tight, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues, Behind the Candelabra, Short Term 12, Rush, Frances Ha...

Still to watch from 2013 (owned but not yet watched):
Leviathan, I Wish, Neighbouring Sounds, Like Someone In Love, Computer Chess, Dragon

Still to watch from 2013 (don't own):
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug, Gangs Of Wasseypur, Utopia, The Great Beauty, Before Midnight, Mister John, It's Such A Beautiful Day, In A World, Saving Mr Banks, Like Father Like Son, Blue is the Warmest Colour, Beyond the Hills, Museum Hours

Post #: 68
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI