Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 10/3/2013 1:00:34 PM   
elab49

I was watching a film where the writer had maybe seen Wall Street and, beyond that, knew bog all about finance or business - the script was that laughable (even beyond the actions of Finance Director Barbie, which actually got a few giggles). I felt so sorry for Roth - he and Sarandon phoned it in, as they say. Random emoting scenes with no coehsive motivation came out of nowhere other than it being the actors turn I guess, their shot in the script.

Gere? For me, a generally poor actor but even with that lack of agreement - surely it isn't up for dispute that his face was broadly immobile for vast chunks of the film? I wondered if it might be botox - the absurdly high level of blinking did also suggest that to me.

There's a film with a similarly extreme problem with it's star's face IMO - the Zellweger one New in Town. She's unrecognisable from one scene to the next.

Arbitrage - I love Stuart Margolin and Reg E Cathay, so it didn't get zero marks. But a very run of the mill film with a script steeped in ignorance and no real impression from the direction other than he wasn't particularly good at controlling actors.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 10/3/2013 1:02:26 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 31
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 10/3/2013 1:12:22 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I was watching a film where the writer had maybe seen Wall Street and, beyond that, knew bog all about finance or business - the script was that laughable (even beyond the actions of Finance Director Barbie, which actually got a few giggles). I felt so sorry for Roth - he and Sarandon phoned it in, as they say. Random emoting scenes with no coehsive motivation came out of nowhere other than it being the actors turn I guess, their shot in the script.

Gere? For me, a generally poor actor but even with that lack of agreement - surely it isn't up for dispute that his face was broadly immobile for vast chunks of the film? I wondered if it might be botox - the absurdly high level of blinking did also suggest that to me.

There's a film with a similarly extreme problem with it's star's face IMO - the Zellweger one New in Town. She's unrecognisable from one scene to the next.

Arbitrage - I love Stuart Margolin and Reg E Cathay, so it didn't get zero marks. But a very run of the mill film with a script steeped in ignorance and no real impression from the direction other than he wasn't particularly good at controlling actors.

First off I am not saying I am the biggest Gere fan, but when cast in the right sort of roles, then I do find him a effective screen actor and this was one of those times. Where we seem to disagree is that you seem to just see his performance as just weak because he is imcapable of showing emotion, but I see it the other way as him underplaying the performance because that is what the coldness of the character required.

Also you seem to be caught between slamming the film for being a predictable genre piece and a rip-off of Wall Street. But that is a strength for me, because it is an old fashioned thriller which you don't see enough of now, but it is also a very contempary film, with relevent themes. And I found Roth's performance very entertaining, he knew the level of the character and did what he had to do great.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 10/3/2013 1:33:19 PM   
elab49

You've misunderstood. I didn't compare it to Wall St, I'm saying it's presentation of business and finance is so cartoonishly silly one could believe the sole research was watching the odd business set film. And you've also misread my comment on Gere - the immobility was separate from a general comment on his acting. It looked like his face couldn't move, not that it was an acting choice.

It wasn't thrilling for me. A poor man's Michael Clayton from a writer that didn't properly think through his story - disappearing serious injury, hello? - and wasn't good enough to write character. Events were randomly included to create palpably silly attempts at tension - sadly, Roth's cliche of a cop was one of the worst victims of this. Although, luckily, Gere's character then turned into eagle-eyed super sleuth to confound him - hurrah! Dear heavens, I thought it was bad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 33
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 12/3/2013 11:42:27 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

You've misunderstood. I didn't compare it to Wall St, I'm saying it's presentation of business and finance is so cartoonishly silly one could believe the sole research was watching the odd business set film. And you've also misread my comment on Gere - the immobility was separate from a general comment on his acting. It looked like his face couldn't move, not that it was an acting choice.

It wasn't thrilling for me. A poor man's Michael Clayton from a writer that didn't properly think through his story - disappearing serious injury, hello? - and wasn't good enough to write character. Events were randomly included to create palpably silly attempts at tension - sadly, Roth's cliche of a cop was one of the worst victims of this. Although, luckily, Gere's character then turned into eagle-eyed super sleuth to confound him - hurrah! Dear heavens, I thought it was bad

So you don't think that caracters like the Gere one exist in real life? I would say they are very much real more than ever in fact. One of the key points of the film is what Gere said in an interview, that these big business men nowadays have no clue about what they are talking about, and just say anything, either to cheat someone or because they just don't have the facts.

As for Roth's cop, I just think he is a classic trait of this kind of thriller, and as such should be taken on that level, fact is Roth is good in those kind of roles and I found him entertaining.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 34
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 27/3/2013 3:12:42 PM   
ElephantBoy

Oz the Great and Powerful (Sam Raimi,130mins) 7/10
After a pretty ropey first twenty minutes, this actually turned out much better than anyone had any right to expect. Visually it was perfect, and because of his background in horror, Raimi was able to deliver some truly creepy and jump out of your sit moments. As 3D goes this was not bad. My main issue was with Franco who just proved once again what a smug and dull actor he is to watch, some would say he was well cast in that case, but I just feel it was a mistake to cast someone so unlikeable as the lead in a family film. Anyway Rachel Weisz stole the film performance wise, sadly there were some clitched lines restricting Michelle Williams from doing much, still pretty entertaining on the whole.

Beyond the Hills (Dupa dealuri) (Cristian Mungiu,150 Mins) 8/10
I didn't quite warm to this film like I did 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days, a film I felt was pretty much flawless. At times Mungiu's latest was so grim and a heavy going than I did leave the cinema feeling like I had been based over the head with a sledgehammer, and like Melick's recent work unless you have a keen interest in religon you may struggle. Putting that aside, this is another piece of breathtaking, pure cinema, with note perfect performances, and powerful cinematoghy, plus a chilling sense of atmoshpere and location. It is unforgettable whether you like it or not.

Robot & Frank (Jack Schreier,89 Mins) 7/10
This novel and charming little film, is mostly carried by Frank Langella's engaging, funny performance and just how low budget it looks at times. Filled with funny lines, and nicely observed moments, it is only really let down by how limtied the marterial is which does start to show later on, but there is a twist which I felt was handled very well.

Caesar Must Die (Cesare deve morire) (Paolo Taviani,Vittorio Taviani,76 Mins) 9/10
Stunning black and white photography, mixed with engaging, oddly moving performances, this is at times a very raw and dry piece, but also dramatic when it needs to be. A vividly written and directed film with some thought provoking ideas at the heart of it.

To come I hope to finally see Wreck it Ralph, alone with Sidev Effects and may Compliance.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 27/3/2013 3:13:19 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 35
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 29/3/2013 12:29:56 PM   
Qwerty Norris

After 3 months & 30 films, I've finally reached what could be considered a top 10 for 2013.

1. Zero Dark Thirty (Bigelow)
2. No (Larrain)
3. McCullin (D & J Morris)
4. Wreck-It Ralph (Moore)
5. Beyond The Hills (2012, Mungiu)
6. Shell (2012, Graham)
7. Stoker (Chan-Wook)
8. Lincoln (Spielberg)
9. Side Effects (Soderbergh)
10. The Sessions (Lewin)

How much of this stays there for the rest of the year remains to be seen.

April viewings to look forward to...Mea Maxima Culpa, I Wish, Good Vibrations, Lore & Caesar Must Die. Hopefully the likes of Oblivion, Olympus Has Fallen, Dark Skies & Iron Man 3 will be a lot of fun as well.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 36
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 2/5/2013 6:55:36 PM   
Dr Lenera

My top 10 so far after 31 films! [Lincoln is third from the bottom in my list so far ]

1/ Cloud Atlas
2/ Trance
3/ The Seasoning House
4/ Django Unchained
5/ The Impossible
6/ Iron Man 3
7/ Flight
8/ Mama
9/ The Last Stand
10/Stoker

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 2/5/2013 7:01:08 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 37
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 18/5/2013 9:49:57 PM   
Whistler

Just watched Les Mis again; god I love that film. Had to move it up a notch.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 18/5/2013 10:50:15 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 38
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 23/5/2013 4:13:49 PM   
ElephantBoy

Long over due update

Wreck-It Ralph (Rich Moore,108 Mins) 7/10
Nice twist on a old formula, strong vocal performances from C. Reilly, Silverman and McBrayer, a little too heavy on set pieces and light on plot at times. Loved the short

I Wish (Kiseki) (Hirokazu Koreeda,128 Mins) 8/10
Likely to be the best life affulming coming of age tale I will see all year. Beautifully expressionistic cinematography, gender director, breathless music and a very funny and touching tale of the adventures of being young as well as the tough challenges of getting older. The child performances are wonderful also. A real throw back film.

Dans la Maison (In the House) (Francois Ozon,105 Mins) 6.5/10
Just noticed that this is GM's favorurite film of 2013 to date, would like to see his review. It is a misfire for me, an interesting idea which works pretty well for about 3/4 of the film, but then the script goes stale and things drag from there with a little too many endings and attempts to tie itself up. It is a funny film, but never truly bites like good satire should, was impressed with both Fabrice Luchini and Ernst Umhauer, but thought Scott-Thomas was a little wasted as the go-between wife. Solid entertainment, but little more than that.

A Late Quartet (Jaron Zilberman,105 Mins) 7.5/10
A different take on what is normally a more feel good and predictable genre. It was refreshing than the film decided to focus more on the tension in the Quartet as a result of the Walken character's illness and pending retirement than on his discerse itself. The script got a good blanace between black comedy and drama, the performances were relieabley excellent, with the scenes between Hoffman and Keener having really energy (no suprise there) and it also got across the passion of the characters to play the music. Didn't have such a problem with the soap elements as some, but will admit that the Poots characters realtionship with Ivanir's was not as credible as Hoffman's midlife crisis.

The Evil Dead (Fede Alvarez,91 Mins) 6/10
Lacking in the slapstick humour and scares of the original, but at least this remake has its own identity, with some stylish gore moments and funny lines it turned out much better than any of us had any right to expect.

The Place Beyond the Pines (Derek Cianfrance,140 Mins) 8/10
A more ambitious narrative and film of themes than Cianfrance's Blue Valentine. No less gripping and stylish, the surreal world he creates and the unerving use of naturalistic sounds really makes for a compelling film for the most part. The first half again boosted by an engaging performance from Gosling worked more as a mood piece with the plot more simplistic, it was the second half of the movie where I became more interested in the actual story. Bradley Cooper gives his best performance to date, and there was strong support from Rose Byne and Ray Liotta. If there is a flaw it is in the final third where the story just tested credibility a little too much, and tried to tie what had been a very challeging film up too nicely. In the end what made BV a better film overall was the small details of the characters and her they reflected real life. Still this is a truly scary and stunning film, and Cianfrance has a very bright future imo.

Mud (Jeff Nichols,130 Mins) 4/10
Sorry but I just found this really boring and clitched! The story has been so many times before and there was nothing that really stood out this time around. The cast were decent, but Mcconaughey was in mumbling mode and never carried the menace as he did in Killer Joe, and Witherspoon and Shannon were wasted. Thought there were some horrible southern sterotypes too. Might have to rewatch Shot Gun Stories to get over this one.

Coming up I plan on seeing Iron 3, White Elephant, A Hyjacking and The Great Gatsby.

Post #: 39
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 24/5/2013 7:24:47 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Mud (Jeff Nichols,130 Mins) 4/10
Sorry but I just found this really boring and clitched! The story has been so many times before and there was nothing that really stood out this time around. The cast were decent, but Mcconaughey was in mumbling mode and never carried the menace as he did in Killer Joe, and Witherspoon and Shannon were wasted. Thought there were some horrible southern sterotypes too. Might have to rewatch Shot Gun Stories to get over this one.

Epic fail EB!

Enjoy A Hijacking though, it's crashed into my top 3 for the year.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 40
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 28/5/2013 7:18:35 PM   
FoxDhoj

My top 10 of this year so far...

1. Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow)
2. Mud (Jeff Nichols)
3. The Place Beyond The Pines (Derek Cianfrance)
4. Bernie (Richard Linklater)
5. Side Effects (Steven Soderbergh)
6. Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino)
7. Star Trek Into Darkness (JJ Abrams)
8. To The Wonder (Terrence Malick)
9. Behind The Candelabra (Steven Soderbergh)
10. Wrong (Quentin Dupieux)

Flight (Robert Zemeckis)
Other films I have seen this year:
The Sessions (Ben Lewin)
Stoker (Park Chan-wook)
Trance (Danny Boyle)
Lore (Cate Shortland)
Oblivion (Joseph Kosinski)
This Is 40 (Judd Apatow)
The Paperboy (Lee Daniels)
Wreck-It Ralph (Rich Moore)
Lincoln (Stephen Spielberg)
Side By Side (Christopher Kenneally)
Gangster Squad (Ruben Fleischer)

Films I have missed but feel I might like:
The House I Live In (Eugene Jarecki)
No (Pablo Larrain)
Gangs Of Wasseypur (Anurag Kashyap)
A Highjacking (Tobias Lindholm)
Post Tenebras Lux (Carlos Reygadas)
Sleep Tight (Jaume Balaguero)
Rebellion (Matthieu Kassovitz)
Neighbouring Sounds (Kleber Mendonca Filho)
Beyond The Hills (Cristian Mingiu)
I Wish (Hirokazu Koreeda)
Robot & Frank (Jake Schreier)
Bullhead (Michael Roskam)
Evil Dead (Fede Alvarez)
Iron Man 3 (Shane Black)

< Message edited by FoxDhoj -- 29/5/2013 1:49:43 AM >

Post #: 41
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 28/5/2013 7:31:04 PM   
elab49

I WIsh, No, Beyond the Hills and Neighbouring Sounds should be out soon on DVD (was I Wish maybe last Monday?).

Very much looking forward to rewatching the latter. It'll be a long time before I rewatch Beyond he Hills. Post Tenebras I'd happily watch the first 5-10 minutes again. Ditto Qwerty on A Hijacking and I very much enjoyed Robot and Frank.

quote:

(in reply to FoxDhoj)
Post #: 42
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 28/5/2013 7:34:35 PM   
FoxDhoj

quote:

I WIsh, No, Beyond the Hills and Neighbouring Sounds should be out soon on DVD (was I Wish maybe last Monday?).

Very much looking forward to rewatching the latter. It'll be a long time before I rewatch Beyond he Hills. Post Tenebras I'd happily watch the first 5-10 minutes again. Ditto Qwerty on A Hijacking and I very much enjoyed Robot and Frank.

Thinking of blind-buying No, and Neighbouring Sounds but I'd prefer that on blu-ray really (Artificial Eye are only doing it on DVD...same goes for Michael H - Profession: Director). I've already ordered Post Tenebras Lux (30% off at Viva Verve) and a friend is getting Beyond The Hills. Hope I get to see mostly everything this year as last year it took a while to catch up! Most of the best releases came out in the final 4 months, I found.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 43
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 28/5/2013 7:37:40 PM   
elab49

Although the end of this month and the next couple have been quite impressive - so many out on Monday I wanted.

I use Viveverve off and on as well - just picked up Aurora from there. Might be one for you to try if Beyond the Hills interested you. Have you seen the Death of Mr Lazarescu?

quote:

(in reply to FoxDhoj)
Post #: 44
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 28/5/2013 7:58:38 PM   
FoxDhoj

quote:

Although the end of this month and the next couple have been quite impressive - so many out on Monday I wanted.

I use Viveverve off and on as well - just picked up Aurora from there. Might be one for you to try if Beyond the Hills interested you. Have you seen the Death of Mr Lazarescu?

Nope, I did read a review of Aurora a while back though. Never seen any Romanian films - won a copy of 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days on DVD recently but haven't watched it yet...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 45
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 28/5/2013 9:00:44 PM   
elab49

I'd been really looking forward to Beyond the Hills based on 4 months, but I really wasn't a fan. Others rated it higher though. I'd certainly give it a go if you have time.The Romanian New Wave I like most are probably Lazarescu and 12.08 East of Bucharest, which are luckily easy to get over here (especially as Film 4 shows Lazarescu sometimes).

quote:

(in reply to FoxDhoj)
Post #: 46
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 29/5/2013 10:10:04 AM   
ElephantBoy

Yeah pretty sure I Wish came out this week, it is such a stunning film and is on my list to buy. Also the masterpiece which is Zero Dark Thirty out soon as is Bullhead.

Kind of agree with elab on Beyond the Hills, it was an excellent bit of film making but I just never warmed to it as I did his other work.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 47
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 29/5/2013 5:18:11 PM   
FoxDhoj

quote:

Yeah pretty sure I Wish came out this week, it is such a stunning film and is on my list to buy. Also the masterpiece which is Zero Dark Thirty out soon as is Bullhead.

Kind of agree with elab on Beyond the Hills, it was an excellent bit of film making but I just never warmed to it as I did his other work.

Loved Zero Dark Thirty but not sure if I'll get the immediate release. The amaray is bare-bones and I don't much want the digital copy. Gonna hold out for a possible steelbook like The Hurt Locker got...

Post #: 48
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 29/5/2013 6:27:39 PM   
elab49

I WIsh did come out this week. It is now in my bag along with Planet of Snail. (And S2 of Heimat for a brilliant 15!)

quote:

(in reply to FoxDhoj)
Post #: 49
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 19/6/2013 1:56:59 AM   
ElephantBoy

White Elephant (Elefante Blanco) (Pablo Trapero, 105 Mins) 8/10
Gripping and visually engaging tale of life in the slums, and the complex affect it has on people right in the heart of it and trying to help. The film really shows the knock on affect of something going wrong. The performances are comitted and the soundtrack very edgy.

Terracotta Film Festival 2013 Screenings

TFF See You Tomorrow Everyone (Minasan Sayonara) (Yoshihiro Nakamura, 120 Mins) 7.5/10
A film about a boy who graudates high school but seems destended to remain trapped in the same coucil estate for the rest of his life. We follow his joureny and how his fresturation impacts on his life and those around him as each year passes. The film starts out as a charming coming of age tale, but adaftly switches to darker places in the second half. Gaku Hamada brings an air of deadpan vualibility to the lead role.

TFF The Dancer (Sang Penari) (Ifa Isfansyah, 112 Mins) 7/10
The Indonesian entry for the Oscars is a pretty effective, lyical piece which feels more like a documentary than a film at times. The use of colour and music make for a striking sense of location, there are some disturbing sexual scenes. The script felt a bit limited at times was the only down side.

TFF What They Don't Talk About When They Talk About Love (yang tidak dibicarakean keitka membicarakan cinta) (Mouly Surya, 102 Mins) 8/10
One of the unique films I have viewed all year. Following three different characters all with seeing problems at a special boarding school, the film carefully balances many different genres, at times blurring the lines of comedy, drama, surrealist. It builds slowly and is subtley acted, with a beautifully compelling soundtrack. It is hard to know what to make of it, but it was an honest, daring and in the end very romantic experience.

Admission (Paul Weitz, 107 Mins) 6.5/10
Not quite the film which is going to make Tina Fey a break out star in films, but she is very funny, and convincing, in a comedy which was enjoyable and nice to view rather than laugh out loud funny. It had a pretty good satire on the class system and importance placed on getting into a top University. Lilly Tomlin is very good fun, but Paul Rudd is kind of bland, the film does drag a bit at times, but its a nice idea with more hits than misses.

A Hijacking (Kapringen) (Tabias Lindholm, 99 Mins) 8/10
A simple idea, thinly written plot is brilliantly drawn out, with a very realistic tension in a thriller which fills in the gaps with character detail. There is emotionalcomplexitie and moral issues driving the script forward. Pilou Asbaek is able to transform himself from the slyness of his Borgen role, to this brooding, spritied cook, effectivly showing the full range of emotions during the film.

Coming up I hope to catch up with The Great Gatsby, Iron Man 3, Made of Stone and am very excited to Joss Whedon's take on Much Ado About Nothing.

Post #: 50
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 30/7/2013 12:07:40 PM   
ElephantBoy

The Battle of the Sexes (James Erskine,83 Mins) 7/10
A well told and engrossing documentary, with a good insight into the power of the media and just how crazy the gender in-balance once was. I was also very impressed with the dramatic recreation of Tennis matches in question it really carried me along either if I knew what the outcomes were going to be. It does lack the emotional punch of something like Sana and at times I questioned King's motivations and if the whole thing was one big publicity stunt planned by her and Briggs. Still that doesn't change the interest of the subject matter and flair of the film making.

Pacific Rim (Guillermo Del Toro,131 Mins) 7/10
Del Toro on mid-range form. The characters are like more interesting than your typical modern disaster film, there are a range of very good performances including a commanding one from Elba, a likeable one from Kikuchi and a fun if a slightly underwritten part for Perman. There are also some very bland characters and acting (from the lead for example) the battle scenes are superb and there are some fine one liners, the film did drag towards the end.

Therese Desqueyroux (Claude Miller,110 Mins) 6.5/10
One of the more convincing post-Amelie performances from Audrey Tautou as a icy, yet conflicted housewife. Early on it was a little too clear that this came from a novel as it clunked along, struggling to escape the voice of the book, but it slowly became more engrossing and very stylish. A bit muddled but a solid effort, and I would read the book.

The Great Gatsby (Baz Lurmann,145 Mins) 4/10
Show off cinema at its most flamboyant which would be fine if it wasn't so damn long and empty, which was one of the reasons the book was so excellent because even if you didn't like the characters you still engaged with them and was interested in how their stories turned out, this film version just lacked that dramatic tension. Dicaprio makes a suitable Gatsby, Mulligan is as seductive as ever, while Maguire is even blander than ever and too distracting as the narrator.

Much Ado About Nothing (Joss Whedon,107 Mins) 7.5/10
Interesting comparing this with a Luhrmann film because here Whedon does what Baz did with Romeo & Juliet in giving Much Ado a cool and edgy modern update. Its a slow starter and if you know very little about the play then you might struggle, but for me it didn't matter if I knew much about the plot as the dreamy music, lavish black and white photography and compelling performances from the likes of Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker got me totally wrapped up in the world of the film, it was witty, odd-ball (nice turn by Nathan Fillion) and in the end very moving. I think the low key nature of the production added to its charms.

Behind the Candelabra (Steven Soderbergh,110 Mins) 8/10
Great performances from Douglas and Demon in a very entertaining and bleak drama, with a change in pace is expertly handled midway. The characters are adapt and finely judged, and the film seemed a very honest and cutting edge view of the time and its lead characters.

We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks (Alex Gibney,130 mins) 8/10
One of the finest films I have seen this year. Like in his Erron documentary, here Gibney gets right under the skin of the subject matter and is able to get wide ranging view points from a number of credible talking heads. Also like his previous work WSS has a chilling air to it and is visually very dramatic. What makes the film really is that there are so many more themes bought out than just exploring the value or lack of of Julian Assange and his creation, such as fame, the media, sexism (how quickly the two girls claim against Assange is brushed off as a smear campaign seemed very shocking to me) and just what the morals of the media. At the end of the day like him or hate him, but Assange is a very complex and deeply interesting subject matter. Stunning film making.

Coming up I will be seeing The World's End, The Bling Ring, Stories We Tell and Wadjida.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 51
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 21/8/2013 3:58:33 PM   
ElephantBoy

Dark Skies (Scott Stewart,97 Mins) 6/10
Pretty standard and clitched horror/Sci-Fi lifted by a decent lead performance and some earie sound use and gloomy photography. There are one or two good scares but nothing outstanding.

The World's End (Edgar Wright, 110 Mins) 7.5/10
The weakest of the trilogy but still for me an enjoyable and fun movie. The cast are very good, and it was nice to see a role reversal between Frost and Pegg. Some scenes do drag and the Sci-Fi element is a little over cooked, but it is a charming and well crafted comedy with a joyful soundtrack.

The Bling Ring (Sofia Coppola, 90 Mins) 6.5/10
Coppola's best since Lost In Translation. Her draft use of music and visuals takes you inside of surreal world of the characters, and the likes of Emma Watson and Leslie Mann really get the measure of their characters with understated and icy performances. At times the characters just felt to bland and stuck up to care about and maybe there was not enough of a examination of celebrity culture at times. At least it was a well balanced story which leaves you to judge for yourself.

Coming up I will be reviewing Stories We Tell, Wadjda, Blancanieves and The Lone Ranger.

Post #: 52
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 28/8/2013 1:12:48 PM   
Sonic_Empire

1. The Conjuring
2. Mama
3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
4. Evil Dead
5. World War Z
7. Pacific Rim
8. Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters

Sweet sweet you're so sweet - So many things I want

Post #: 53
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 2/9/2013 2:46:46 PM   
ElephantBoy

Stories We Tell (Sarah Polley,108 Mins) 10/10
Polley brings the lightness of touch and sheer heart wrenching beauty which was seen in her debut Away From Her to this more complex tangled web of a documentary about her own family and a dark secret from their past. It was amazing how easier I eased into the story given how personal it was and that as a viewer you are intruding on their lives. The subjects all came off as very charming and insightful people and of course that certain issues had contrasting view points is one of the many strengths of the film. The old super eight footage is wonderfully contrasted with the music and talking heads. Among the revelations there are many interesting debates about childhood memories, storytelling and whether film or documentary should be absolute truth. An beautiful, sad and thrilling film.

Wadjda (Haifaa Al-Monsour,98 Mins) 7.5/10
A simple coming of age story which still manages to give a good picture of the gender in-balance in Saudi Arabia. Reem Abdullah is very engaging in the lead role and the relationship between her and the mother very believable. It is an funny and light hearted film, but also one which gets it message across without resorting to historics.

Blancanieves (Pablo Berger,104 Mins) 10/10
This maybe the best film I have seen all year. A more twisted, and sinister take on Snow White but still with the stunning visuals and dreamy feel. The chilling atmosphere and pacing of the story gives it a real edge and the music really brings the film to life. The balance between comedy and tragedy is well handled and the finish provides a nice twist on the old tale. Maybe the most enjoyable film I have seen at the cinema this year.

The Conjuring (James Wan,112 Mins) 6.5/10
This was lifted above the standard modern horror fare by strong performances, good pacing and some effective cinematography, but also relied too much on the cheap crashing and banging, and corny scare tactics. The story is very predictable and the ending really silly, but there is enough good scares and other good things to at least make it passible.

The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski,149 Mins) 3/10
If this had been the Indy style romp which the opening twenty minutes and the closing had promise and if it had been much shorter then I think it may have worked much better. Sadly not only is it way too long, but it does drag badly, with many too much knowing humour, over long dialogue, and childish humour which doesn't extend much beyond the eight year olds. The romance was too corny, the jokes not funny enough, there was a lack of real excitement and for me the leads lacked that all important chemistry. Also I just don't find Depp doing comedy that funny, and a very good supporting cast like Wilson and Wilkinson were wasted. It had its moments but not nearly enough of them.

Coming up I should be seeing Up On Poppy Hill, Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa, Upstream Color and The Way Way Back.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 2/9/2013 4:31:29 PM >

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 54
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 2/9/2013 5:19:30 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

there are a range of very good performances

Where?

quote:

Coppola's best since Lost In Translation.

Nah.

quote:

Among the revelations there are many interesting debates about childhood memories, storytelling and whether film or documentary should be absolute truth. An beautiful, sad and thrilling film.

Totally.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 55
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 3/9/2013 1:17:35 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

there are a range of very good performances

Where?

quote:

Coppola's best since Lost In Translation.

Nah.

quote:

Among the revelations there are many interesting debates about childhood memories, storytelling and whether film or documentary should be absolute truth. An beautiful, sad and thrilling film.

Totally.

1. Elba, the lead female (forget her name) and Perlman, also thought the nerdy guys were quite good fun at times.

2. Were you not a fan? I wouldn't say its up there with her first two films, but do think there was enough good stuff in there to make it interesting. Please don't tell me you were a fan of that borefest Somewhere

3. Glad we agree on that

Post #: 56
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 1/10/2013 12:51:16 PM   
ElephantBoy

From Up on Poppy Hill (Goro Miyazaki,92 Mins) 6.5/10

Mostly aimed at a teenage audience, and also if you are not too famlier with the politics of the period it might be a bit of struggle, but for the most part it was nice touching watch, with a good sense of nostiga and location, with decent characters.

About Time (Richard Curtis,123 Mins) 7/10

Not as sweet or as funny as many of his previous efforts, but has enough of both to override the many flaws. The cast are very good, its a decent concept and the end just blew me away. Very flawed, but still really worth it.

The Way Way Back (Nat Faxon,Jim Rash,103 Mins) 8/10

One of the best films of its kind for many a year and personally my favourite comedy of 2013. The story plays out in a very credible fashion, the performances range very good across the film, from Carell, Rockwell, Collette to Anna Sophia Robb and Liam James. The jokes come thick and fast in the first half, but the way the film deftly handles the transition into the more personal, sadder moments is its true strength . A classic summer, feel good film for sure.

Upstream Color (Shane Carruth,96 Mins) 7.5/10

Carruth's follow up to Primer owns a lot to Croneberg's body horror genre, yet has a weird language all of its own. At different times I was creeped out, dizzy, thrilled and intrigued. It is superbly crafted, very tense atmospharatically and again almost baffling to follow at times, but not in a bad way. Amy Semetz gives a very well judged performance at the films heart. My one complaint is that towards the end the dialouge become a little too rambling, and the film did start to feel more like a pretenoius essay, whereas I felt it worked best when very little was being said.

Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen,98 Mins) 9/10

Allen is back at his sharp, obserbic best, and manages to skillfully balance comedy and drama, with many scenes switching between the two and serving to really keep me on the edge. Cate Blancett gives a profound master class as someone so out of touch with the world it, the performance is icy, and cold, but truly compelling at the same time, she injects engegy and menace into Jasmine while also showing just how weak, and broken the character is too. In many ways Ginger played by Sally Hawkins is the more tragic figure as should be above the depths that she puts herself through, Allen gets great performances from most of the cast, including Hawkins, Baldwin and Carnnivalle. The direction is fluid, the visuals rich and suductive, and it proves a very sharp and thought provoking satire. So possible Allen's best in about twenty years, and maybe one of his top ten best films, and if Blancett doesn't get best actress then the Academy should be put out of commission

Coming up I hope to see The Great Beauty, maybe White House Down and some stuff from The London Film Festival too.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 57
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 31/10/2013 10:44:36 AM   
Whistler

Made my 100th visit to the cinema this year with Thor: The Dark World. Coming at the very end of October, that averages exactly 10 films per month. Despite the odd foray into one of my local independents, that's all with an unlimited card - not bad value for money, I'd say

Post #: 58
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 31/10/2013 10:41:16 PM   
ElephantBoy

Will update soon. Maybe I should aim for ten a month next year, but then I am just a lonely student

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 59
RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 - 1/11/2013 8:55:45 AM   
Qwerty Norris

One of the great things about being a student was being able to use the unlimited card & go see a moderate romantic comedy, a generic horror or a dumb but fun action movie in the middle of the day in a largely empty screening; free from the (frequently) irritating & cinema-etiquette defying behaviour indulged in by the scumbags I like to call the general public.

I miss those days...terribly.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 10 Films Of 2013 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI