Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The year that was 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The year that was 2012 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The year that was 2012 - 31/12/2012 7:11:49 PM   
the anomaly

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Wanted to wish everyone all the best and to look back on your year of gaming ...

Highs

Walking Dead - Finally getting through this and it's amazing. The writing, voice acting, game design, art direction ... everything completes a brilliant "point and click" package. Actually inspired me to get off my ass and try to make something as good as this.

Borderlands 2 - Top sequel. Built upon what made the last game fun and polished it up. I've had great fun running gunning ... and constantly scavenging for weapons ... stopping comparing items with my party ... bartering .. and repeating the process with a much improved story. Will be digging into the DLC soon.

Lows

Resident Evil 6 - Alright bit unfair as I've not given it a chance. Yet the reviews haven't been kind, Word on the forums haven't been great and none ... alright one die hard RE blinded mate still rated it.

Mass Effect 3 - Whilst I won't join those fans foaming at the mouth slating it constantly, writing off Bioware completely and burning their copies ... it just should never have been allowed to happen. I loved the game and it is a brilliant series. The revised ending is a vast improvement and had that been the original ending I believe there would have been far less outcry.But there was an initial disappointment ... which on a positive note led to some great discussions ... yet I look forward to discussing awesome endings in the future.

Looking forward to in 2013

These will be my day one OR my most anticipated games:

The Last of Us - New IP from the talented Naughty Dog team. Looks promising.
Tomb Raider - Old IP re-invented. I'm looking forward to the story.
Metal Gear Revengerance - I want to catch up on a few other true MGS games first so this doesn't spoil anything. But I'll be taking this on as it's own beast. With Platinum games at the helm this should make for a great action game. Need to finish Vanquish actually!
Bioshock 3 - Bioshock in a sky city? Just what the series needs.

Others I want but will wait for various reasons:

Other mentions: GoW Judgement (Need to polish off GoW3) , DS3 ( Need to finish 2), DMC (After four DMC games ... and Bayonetta being the peak ... I wonder if this will be worth it for me), Army of Two ... 3 (The last games made for decent co-op fun not sure if I'll have the time for it now depending on the quality).

I'll also be looking forward to catching up on all my unplayed games .... Saints Row 3, Skyrim, Vanquish, Halo 4, BL2 DLC, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, Max Payne 3 ... blah blah ...

To be fair I've spent far less on games this year just not had the time.
Post #: 1
RE: The year that was 2012 - 1/1/2013 11:31:31 AM   
Chojin

I really haven't been up to date with my gaming for a year or two now. I tend to play games 6-12 months after release when they're cheaper - I still have yet to play Skyrim or Arkham City!

2012 was a low year for me gaming wise, I spent 9 months of it grinding out Seriously 3.0 on Gears of War 3. I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII-2 but there hasn't been anything i've played which has been a 'game of the year' for me which is probably due to going back and finishing games off rather than focusing on new games I would actually love to play.

Games i'm looking forward to the most are Tomb Raider, FFXIII-3 and FFXIV (if it ever sees a PS3 release). Also Gears of War Judgment but I don't want to relapse and start Seriously 4.0, might be best if I steer well clear of that one.

But in 2013 I will most likely continue to clear some of the masses of games I have sitting unplayed on my shelves rather than adding to the pile :p

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 2
RE: The year that was 2012 - 1/1/2013 12:10:48 PM   
Pigeon Army

I've haphazardly kept on top of 2012 in gaming - mostly indies and handheld titles because I get the latter for free and because the former are usually pretty cheap and more interesting than AAA Title #122.

HIGHS
30 Flights of Loving - Essentially a short story in game form. Fifteen minutes of narrative presented in such a way that it builds a world more convincing and idiosyncratic than 90% of AAA releases and provides you with fascinating characters you can connect to despite their never saying a word. It's like recalling a series of moments in life, each one slipping away and each one building on the other to some kind of giddy climax. I need to revisit it.
Hotline Miami - A druggy, unsettling murderthon that boils down the act of videogame violence to an empathy-free puzzle and prompts you to consider why this act is enjoyable in the first place. The final scene of the main story and the epilogue kind of undermine the strength of the game's overall message - it goes from an act of individual agency to an act of individual delusion - but it's a hair-trigger tight, neon-stained push through doors that's both arresting and confrontational.
Kid Icarus: Uprising - A real surprise this year - what I expected to be a middling platform shooter turned out to be an irreverent delight, a mix of Panzer Dragoon and third-person shooting with a dash of Aristophanes' The Frogs. Funny as hell and surprisingly inventive, with great multiplayer.
LittleBigPlanet Vita - I love the cobbled-together aesthetic and the storybook atmosphere. It's a really sweet and entertaining game.
Dear Esther - An experimental way of telling stories in a medium that values (too much, I feel) instant gratification and visceral evocation of emotion, it hits far more than it misses. The windswept Hebrides with their ethereal caves, the haunting, self-pitying story that slowly wraps itself together - it's a compelling slow-burn of a thing.

LOWS
Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified - Fucking useless.
Little Deviants - Clunky and really unpleasant to play for the most part. Physically painful.
Rhythm Thief - The rhythm gaming's alright, but holy hell is the narrative terrible. Also horribly paced, like Professor Layton with nothing interesting to say.
Unit 16 - Fairly solid cover shooter that just happens to be really Islamophobic and uncomfortably jingoistic.

GAMES I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO IN 2013
Bioshock Infinite - I'm a big fan of the first Bioshock. It's an incredibly satisfying shooter with an aesthetic to die for, and while the moral choices are a bit simplistic, it's perfect in its breakdown of how one applies the idea of self-interest to video game logic - what truly constitutes 'objectivism' in a predetermined environment. Infinite looks broader and more ambitious in terms of its environments and its aesthetic - it does look a bit more cut-and-dry in its discussion of contemporary politics through the prism of the past, but I look forward to being pleasantly surprised.
The Last of Us - I remember reading, can't remember where, that Naughty Dog were aiming to make violence 'repugnant' with this. I can't wait to see how they navigate that, should be incredibly interesting.
Metro: Last Light - Still to play the first one, but fuck this looks great.
Watch Dogs - I am excited to play Person of Interest: The Game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 3
RE: The year that was 2012 - 1/1/2013 12:58:40 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

I really haven't been up to date with my gaming for a year or two now. I tend to play games 6-12 months after release when they're cheaper - I still have yet to play Skyrim or Arkham City!

I've been doing the same so this is more of a list of what I've played this year than what was released.

Lows

BF3 - Finally gave up after they balanced it so helicopters dominated maps, couldn't be bothered going back when they rebalanced it back to normal.
NHL13 - Not different enough, got bored and swapped it after a couple of weeks.
Mass Effect 3 - Couldn't even be bothered finishing it.
Halo CE Anniversary - Got it to play through in co-op and it had almost unplayable lag.

Highs

Red Orchestra 2 - Put quite a lot of hours into this after I fucked BF3 off. Still dip in now.
Sleeping Dogs - Pleasant surprise.
Transformers: WFC - One of my co-op games of the year.
Dragons Dogma - Classic RPG that came out of nowhere.
Dark Souls - Praise the sun.
Trials Evo - Not played it as much as I did the original and not really built any tracks but that's down to me not having as much time rather than being bored of it.
MGS + Peace Walker HD - Awesome package, Peace Walker is my co-op game of the year.
Halo 4 - Split opinion but I love it!

Upcoming

GTA 5
Last of us
DMC
Bioshock: Infinite
Sim City
South Park
Arma 3
Tomb Raider
Rome total war 2
Battlefield 4
Watch Dogs

< Message edited by kata -- 1/1/2013 1:00:20 PM >

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 4
RE: The year that was 2012 - 1/1/2013 2:06:25 PM   
KnightofZyryab

I think 2012 was a great year for games - 2011 was difficult to follow but there were a few truly outstanding games last year.

Highs

Dishonored - one of the most inventive, imaginative and simply brilliant games of recent years, it was so refreshing to play a game that offers the gamer so many options to complete missions and alter the outcome of the story, and sharing some DNA with the Bioshock series. With rumours of a franchise, I'd welcome it, with Dishonored's original game mechanics and the possibility of returning to the immersive world of Dunwall.

Hitman: Absolution - I hadn't played any of the previous games, but like Dishonored I've been impressed with the sheer variation in gameplay, engaging story and unique graphics, with the signature look Square Enix brought previously to Deus Ex. The in game visuals and lighting are some of the most incredible I've seen these past few years. In that respect it's a great companion piece to Dishonored - with both games' unique viisual styles, they provide a great antidote to the generic photo-realistic graphics of Call of Duty (I had to slip a snipe in somewhere).

Mass Effect 3 - an epic, epic game, with so many unforgettable sequences, and every bit as immersive as its predecessors. They finally perfected the combat gameplay, vastly adding to the chain of action set pieces throughout the game. The story was relentlessly compelling, and the attention to detail absolutely staggering - it's the definition of a cinematic game.

Lows

Mass Effect 3 - the much derided ending. I was not incensed like some, but could totally understand the frustration of being insulted by an ending that went against what the developers promised, and after hundreds of hours of player investment. The reduction of choice, rather than the multiplication of conclusions was extremely disappointing, and it was just baffling to think the writers seriously thought the ending was logical and faithful to the story. Even the DLC could not rectify the mess to the ending of one of the finest trilogies in gaming history.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II - the constant lauding of a no brain franchise which recycles the same generic material and dominates the zombie mind populace of gamers who wouldn't know an original game unless it shot them in the face. Might be an unfair opinion, but still can't stand the series and the knock on homogenisation it forces on to other games.

Games I'm looking forward to in 2013:

Dead Space 3
Gears of War: Judgement
Aliens: Colonial Marines

< Message edited by KnightofZyryab -- 1/1/2013 2:08:52 PM >

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 5
RE: The year that was 2012 - 1/1/2013 4:36:27 PM   
James2183

Highs:

The Walking Dead and X-Com. I've put these two together for two basic reasons - they both had me invested in characters I played and both made me play and enjoy games in a genre I usually dislike.

Sleeping Dogs - Decent story and a nice open world environment.

Lows:

Resident Evil 6 - I knew it was going to be bad, but not THAT bad. It's sad to see a franchise that I've grown up with become such a shambles.

Assassins Creed 3 - Considering it had been in the works since Assassins Creed 2 it held no interest to me after the 3rd level. A boring main character in a game riddled with bugs.

Black Ops 2 - Single player wasn't bad but the MP sucked due to the lag and hit markers. Usually happens with every CoD but it was exceedingly worse this year.

Dishonored - It wasn't a bad game, just very mediocre which is a shame considering how hyped it was.

Looking Forward to:

Watch Dogs - Very interesting.

Hidden XBLA gems. Still got to get round to Fez and Mark of the Ninja but it would seem the online market is becoming more promenant.

< Message edited by James2183 -- 1/1/2013 4:45:16 PM >

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 6
RE: The year that was 2012 - 1/1/2013 8:47:25 PM   
From_Hell

Likewise, I tend not to buy new releases and snap them up down the line when they're cheaper. Consequently, this is mostly what I played this year..

Lows:

- Dishonoured. Played a demo and it didn't set me on fire. Played the full game and it left me completely cold. Stealth games just don't do it for me.

- Deadly Premonition. Yes, this is a few years old, but I only got to it in 2012. I was looking forward to some bizarreness mixed in with Silent Hill/Resident Evil but I couldn't quite get past it's shitness. Sure it's odd, sure it's different, but looking back, it feels like a game I endured to the end rather than a game I actually enjoyed.

Highs:

- Skyrim. I wasn't sure if I'd get into it, but I did. All 100 of the hours I put into it.

- Resident Evil 6. Okay, I haven't played it yet, but I just absolutely can't wait to get to this and see just how bad it is!

- Darksiders 2. I need to put some more time into this, but the small amount I have seen of it has left me very impressed.

Games I'm Looking Forward To In 2013:

- Devil May Cry. Enjoyed the demo and I'm liking the new look. I'll give it a crack.

- Tomb Raider. Played a demo at Games Expo thingy at Earls Court and really enjoyed it. This might be a rare day 1 purchase for me.

- GTA5. Just can't wait.

- State of Decay - Sounds like it could be an interesting survival horror.

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 7
RE: The year that was 2012 - 2/1/2013 12:13:01 PM   
jinks

Not a bad year for gaming this year, so mine wil be the following:

Highs
Borderlands 2 - wasnt too taken by the original but the sequel sucked me RIGHT in, Fantastic and very very funny.

Sleeping Dogs - , surprise hit of the year for me - the best bits of a dozen other games, in one top game, loved it.

Far Cry 3 - after the mildly disappointing FC2, FC3 is infinately superior in every possible way.

Need for Speed Most Wanted - Best. Racing. Game. This. Year - after a missfire with The Run, NFS is back on form with a great open world racer (and i hated Burnout Paradise!) - having trouble putting this game down, the Autolog feature is awesome sauce, trying to shave off precious seconds from your mates times, its like crack with wheels!

Max Payne 3 - missing the old graphic novel custscenes, but still Max Payne through and through.

Other notable highlights:
London 2012 Olympic games.
Mass Effect 3
Resident Evil Revelations
SSX
Hitman Absolution

Lows
007 Legends - oh dear christ, Bond, what have they done to you? Boring missions, odd choice of films featuring a strangely voiced Daniel Craig dead eyed avatar, shoot, run, shoot, whip out your phone, shoot some more (hell, Agent Under Fire on PS2 was better!). Even the Skyfall DLC was terrible, missing some key moments of the film (ie, everything past the opening sequence!) - ghastly, simply ghastly.

Resident Evil 6- initially hated it, liked it, hated it again, liked it, now simply tolerate it. It's just not Resi anymore! Some good bits, marred by some shit ideas (awful QTE and that bastard rope climbing!) and far too much action and very little tension.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter - buggy, glitchy, lacks any identity of its own. MoH was better when it was WW2, was turned off and returned within half an hour. Terrible.

Assassins Creed 3 - by no means terrible, its actually pretty decent, Just an uninteresting protagonist and you kinda care more about the father/villain than the hero, expected more to do a LOT more in the actual Revolution and the convoy system is just plain confusing. The naval battles however were great. Not a patch on AC2 and Conor is just dull compared to Ezio.

Other lowlights:
Lack of PS3 Skyrim DLC
HD TV breaking

2013 WANTS:
Dead Space 3
Aliens Colonial Marines
GTA V
Beyond Two Souls
Bioshock Infinite
The Last of Us

< Message edited by jinks -- 2/1/2013 12:31:34 PM >

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 8
RE: The year that was 2012 - 2/1/2013 10:19:34 PM   
directorscut

High:

Lows:

Pretty much the entire "AAA" industry which continues to sink into more self-cannibalising crap year over year

GOTY 2013:

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 9
RE: The year that was 2012 - 3/1/2013 7:24:47 AM   
Peter Griffin

Highs: The Witcher 2, The Walking Dead.

Lows: Eerrrr none!!!

Looking forward to: More time on my Xbox but i'm not counting my chickens.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 10
RE: The year that was 2012 - 11/1/2013 4:18:11 AM   
giggity

I didn't really have any lows this year about from playing the resident evil 6 demo and realising that the game i was waiting all year for and was gonna be number 1 on my xmas list was in fact...shit.

I didn't really get that many games in 2012 tbh . Bought Street Fighter X Tekken and SSX back in March, wouldn't have bought them so close to release but because of gamestation shutting down I had 80 of credit I had to use up so I managed to buy those two but they were pretty good games, just haven't played them too much because i'm at uni most of the year and I don't bring my PS3 home with me.

Bought Max Payne 3 in June which was my favourite game of the year. Pure action from start to finish, great Tony Scott vibe to the whole story and felt like the best action movie I saw this summer and it wasnt even a movie! Fucking ace soundtrack by HEALTH too.

I got Ratchet and Clank Q Force and Sleeping Dogs for christmas. I always enjoy ratchet and clank games and have bought all of them apart from all 4 one and quest for booty, Sleeping Dogs was my surprise of the year. Great combat and driving, fun missions and everything i dislike about GTA games like the huge amounts of side missions and the sandbox gameplay and all the customisation stuff i some reason enjoyed in Sleeping Dogs, biggest bummer was i only got halfway through it before having to go back to uni, now i've got a 6 month wait before i can go home and finish it!

what im looking forward to in 2013:

Always enjoy dead space so i look forward to DS3

Tomb Raider looks quite good and might fill that Uncharted shaped hole I have in my heart

Devil May Cry demo was quite good and might reignite the love i had for the series when i was a teen.

God of War i'm half and half on, i enjoy the god of war games but number 3 felt enough for me like id had my fill and im not too
big on prequels so unless it gets steller reviews i might just leave it.

The Last of us is my most anticipated game. I was praying it would be released in time for xmas last year but sadly no. I'm gonna be all over that game like a fungus (geddit?) when It comes out though.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 11
RE: The year that was 2012 - 11/1/2013 2:25:10 PM   
sharkboy

2012 was a pretty quiet year in terms of buying new games.  The year started with Skyrim and (almost) ended with it too following the release of the DragonBorn DLC.  It's fair to say that this game was by far the highlight of my 2012 gaming experience.  New Lego releases also impressed in the form of Batman 2 and LOTR.  And speaking of the Dark Knight, Arkham City was great fun too.  The relative lack of purchases also meant that I had a chance to finally get round to some of the games that have sat on my shelf untouched for ages, which uncovered some very pleasant surprises in the shape of LA Noire, Enslaved and Witcher 2.

Lowpoints?  Pretty few to be honest, though I'm yet to play Mass Effect 3

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The year that was 2012 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI