Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? - 31/12/2012 10:12:10 AM   
JonnyFave

In Empire's preview of 2013, they said that The Hunt for the Red October was the best Jack Ryan movie. Really? I've always thought Patriot Games was the best.

Whatr do you peeps think?
Post #: 1
RE: What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? - 31/12/2012 11:37:26 AM   
BudBaxter

Patriot Games is great, & a lot of Clear & Present Danger is quite brilliantly done (especially the stuff with Clark), but Red October pips them both. I'm one of the few who liked The Sum of All Fears, but it's a distant fourth.

Alec Baldwin was much closer to my image of Ryan from the books at the time (& didn't have the Han Solo / Indiana Jones baggage that came with Ford's casting).

Patriot Games is also horribly cliched when it comes to the Irish characters. Sitting at home watching Clannad videos? FFS!

(in reply to JonnyFave)
Post #: 2
RE: What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? - 31/12/2012 12:03:07 PM   
Cool Breeze

Clear and Present Danger by a long shot.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 3
RE: What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? - 31/12/2012 8:28:58 PM   
Scruffybobby

Patriot Games is bollocks - but it's a hell of a lot better than the book.

Sum of all Fears is pretty decent

Clear and Present Danger has the best action but Red October is the best of them because Baldwin is most believable as an analyst and it has Connery doing his best Foutainbridge Lithuainian

"We shail into hishtory"

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 31/12/2012 8:30:47 PM >

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 4
RE: What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? - 2/1/2013 8:39:18 AM   
NCC1701A

The Hunt for Red October is for me the best however I do like The Sum of all Fears. Patrot Games was ok from what I remember but Clear and Present Danger was so boring. Looking forward to the new one.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 5
RE: What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? - 4/1/2013 11:35:39 AM   
sharkboy

Patriot Games was absolute cack.  Even when you take out the idiotic take on Irish politics.  Clear and Present Danger had some great action scenes but just felt flat.  Red October was great fun and, as mentioned elsewhere, probably came the closest to getting Clancy's Jack Ryan onscreen.  But, controversial as it may seem, my favourite so far has been The Sum Of All Fears.  It was a pretty ballsy move taking Ryan back to his CIA pool analyst days, but it paid off here.  Ford's Ryan was basically Indy without the whip - professorial but handy in a fight.  Affleck played it more as someone who uses brain rather than brawn to get out of sticky situations and it worked well.  Also, the supporting cast was pretty solid too - Freeman, Hinds and Schreiber especially.  I was hoping it would have kick-started a new franchise in which we could have followed Ryan's rise through the ranks, but alas it seems not.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 6
RE: What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? - 4/1/2013 1:10:25 PM   
spark1

'clear' is my fave with the bogata ambush and the best use of a printer in a movie.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 7
RE: What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? - 4/1/2013 8:05:30 PM   
Judge

Hunt for Red October by far for me.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 8
RE: What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? - 5/1/2013 11:54:40 AM   
Darth Marenghi

Red October by a mile, as Baldwin is the best of the Jack Ryans. The Sum of All Fears is close, but is marred by Affleck sleepwalking his way through the first half of the movie.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> What's the Best Jack Ryan Movie? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI