Ripper Street

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Ripper Street Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ripper Street - 30/12/2012 5:43:51 PM   
Scruffybobby

Looks like this could be fun. A police procedural set in late Victorian London (but filmed in Dublin!) starring Elab's favourite Matthew McFadyen, Jerome Flynn and Myanna Buirng amongst others. Not sure if I'll watch live tonight as it's clashing with the Neil Armstrong doc on BBC 2 and the Big Fat Quiz of the Year on C4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00wk6pq

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 31/12/2012 10:23:20 AM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams
Post #: 1
RE: Ripper Street - 30/12/2012 5:53:52 PM   
elab49

THere's also a doc on British War films on BBC4 which is what I'll probably be watching - Wooden Horse is on!

The show sounds like a more violent version of an old Victorian CID set show called Sergeant Cribb (used to be on at lunchtimes mid-80s). I'll give it a go though. MacFadyen surely can't be awful in everything (which may be the most optimistic thing I've said this year).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 2
RE: Ripper Street - 30/12/2012 7:47:21 PM   
elab49

Actually, just realised it's Clara Bow tonight. I think the War films doc is NYD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Ripper Street - 30/12/2012 8:21:32 PM   
Rod Hull

It looks fun, going to make my commute to Whitechapel more scary at night, the H&C line is bad enough without reminders of historical murderings. At first I thought it was going to be the oft-mooted Buffy spin off all about Giles and his pre-watcher days.

Not with the pastry!

Post #: 4
RE: Ripper Street - 30/12/2012 9:33:25 PM   
sanchia

Half an hour in so far. I have to admit I am finding it all a bit staid and bland at the moment. It appears they have decided Victorian means rather precise pronunciation of the lines with limited emotion timbre. It may perk up in the second half but it is not setting the screen alight at the moment.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rod Hull)
Post #: 5
RE: Ripper Street - 30/12/2012 10:13:47 PM   
Mister Coe

Myanna Buring is in this?

I'm in.

Say what now?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6
RE: Ripper Street - 30/12/2012 10:33:41 PM   
Scruffybobby

SPOILERS

So Victorian Snuff movies then? That was a bit full on. Wasn't great but liked it enough to watch again.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 7
RE: Ripper Street - 31/12/2012 7:54:21 AM   
sanchia

The second half did pick up a bit. I still disliked the actors presentation of the characters and the rather bland reading of the lines but an improvement on the first half.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 8
RE: Ripper Street - 31/12/2012 9:10:59 AM   
elab49

Ditto Sanchia, although it had pretty much lost my goodwill in the 2nd half. Tried too hard, writing didn't work very well. 

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 9
RE: Ripper Street - 31/12/2012 10:25:22 AM   
Scruffybobby

I think the stylised speech is an attempt to do a kind of Strached Collar Sweeney. The police are uptight and proper but not above duffing up suspects and journos etc. It's a nice idea but doesn't quite come off.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Ripper Street - 31/12/2012 11:14:50 AM   
matty_b

All a bit meh really.

I'll probably give the second episode a go, but can't see me sticking with it unless it vastly improves.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 11
RE: Ripper Street - 31/12/2012 12:44:41 PM   
losthighway

To be quite honest I gave it 30mins and turned it off and watched Maurice (Merchant Ivory) DVD instead!... have to say I found RS slow, far from the gruesome spectacle the papers had promised and it actually felt like a poor man's remake of From Hell. I won't be wasting my time with the rest of the series!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 12
RE: Ripper Street - 31/12/2012 6:33:44 PM   
will1000

I didn't mind it. Entertaining enough, although it did feel like the director had been watching Guy Ritchies Sherlock films before calling 'action'!

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 13
RE: Ripper Street - 7/1/2013 6:39:55 PM   
Scruffybobby

So second episode was - like the first - fine but nothing all that great. Joe Gilgun was great as always though.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 14
RE: Ripper Street - 7/1/2013 7:16:52 PM   
sanchia

It is the next day and for the life of me i am struggling to remember what actually happened. It doesn't stay in the memory very well.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 15
RE: Ripper Street - 7/1/2013 7:38:42 PM   
Mister Coe

Just got round to watching episode one and I think this will be an entertaining show, if not a classic. Nice production values and can I just say to Jerome Flynn... I hated you in the 90's due to your awful Simon Cowell endorsed musical double-act with some bugger from a show I never watched that kept some decent bands off the number one slot... I forgive you, especially after you being in GAME OF THRONES...

Say what now?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 16
RE: Ripper Street - 7/1/2013 8:05:14 PM   
elab49

I thought Gilgun was awful. And that's probably me out - two episodes did nothing for me, the Dr character is a major problem and I'm bored. 

quote:

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 17
RE: Ripper Street - 9/1/2013 4:09:37 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Meh. Watching this just shows what a great job ITV did of those Holmes stories with Jeremy Brett. This just doesn't suck you in at all, I think it lacks realism.

It feels like its on a sound stage. It looks like its being acted (in cases quite poorly). And the stories just really aren't so very strong.

If I look at one of the other BBC detective shows. Death in Paradise, really understands what it is. An Agatha Christie (complete with some overt hints of early-mid 20th Century British racial superiority ;-) ). I'm not saying its a great show, but it knows what it is and doesn't try to extend beyond that. Whereas I get the feeling that Ripper Street wants to be something a bit more than it is able to achieve and if it reigned itself in slightly, it might get more out of what its got.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Ripper Street - 9/1/2013 4:46:40 PM   
elab49

We watch Death in Paradise too 

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 19
RE: Ripper Street - 9/1/2013 5:44:46 PM   
matty_b

I completely forgot to watch the second episode.

I don't care.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: Ripper Street - 27/2/2013 11:48:20 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Well. Thanks to setting up record series at the beginning I managed (just about) to eke my way through this one.

Its apparently going to be back, which I find a bit of a surprise. It just didn't work for me, nothing clicked. Maybe the second series will give them the opportunity, but I think it lacks heart. There's no character I want to latch on to and imo a Sunday night drama kind of needs this. Otherwise it has to be really well written and acted and Ripper Street is a good way off that for me.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 21
RE: Ripper Street - 27/2/2013 11:50:39 AM   
elab49

I think, sometimes, they get fixated on a show and won't accept it doesn't work. They know other series have worked when given a chance, but they, at least, had some promise and it was just finding an audience that was the problem. This is just being stubborn.

And then they cancel stuff like The Fades. Idiots.

quote:

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 22
RE: Ripper Street - 27/2/2013 1:38:43 PM   
great_badir

I actually thought it was shaping up to be at least watchable from the first episode, but as soon as I then realised it was another typical "mystery-wrapped-up-in-less-than-an-hour" show, I didn't bother with the second episode.

So yeah - I won't be watching the second series.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 23
RE: Ripper Street - 27/2/2013 7:23:41 PM   
sanchia

I watched the first three then realised whilst watching it all the joy was being leeched from my body so gave it up.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 24
RE: Ripper Street - 27/2/2013 8:08:08 PM   
Scruffybobby

I think I stuck it out until episode 4. It was more that I just didn't choose to watch after that rather than a conscious choice not to watch. I don't feel I missed out

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 25
RE: Ripper Street - 27/2/2013 10:44:55 PM   
musht

I enjoyed it and managed to watch the whole series. Not really surprised it's got a second season, I presume the Americans are lapping it up.

I agree with elab though, I'd defo rather they had kept The Fades going

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 26
RE: Ripper Street - 27/2/2013 11:03:58 PM   
elab49

O/T - Mini Fades reunion in Welcome to the Punch - Johnny Harris and Daniel Kaluuya are in it 

quote:

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Ripper Street Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI