Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 4/1/2013 6:19:10 PM   
rawlinson

MA linked to that translator in the What Made You Smile thread. I've been going through Empire pages just pissing myself laughing ever since.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 61
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 4/1/2013 6:25:47 PM   
impqueen

Brilliant.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 62
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 4/1/2013 6:30:08 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Jared Gilman was fantastic - both he and Kara Hayward delivered Anderson's dialogue so perfectly, it's quite extraordinary. Both were wonderful - two of my favourite performances by child actors.

Yeah agree with this. I watched it again last night and I think they're both fantastic. What really surprised me 2nd time around is Hayward's screen presence. She absolutely dominates the screen at times, it's quite remarkable.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 4/1/2013 6:45:34 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 63
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 4/1/2013 6:44:53 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

MA linked to that translator in the What Made You Smile thread. I've been going through Empire pages just pissing myself laughing ever since.

I just read my siganture using that and amd laughing while imaging Jones saying it

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 64
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 4/1/2013 7:30:28 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Jared Gilman was fantastic - both he and Kara Hayward delivered Anderson's dialogue so perfectly, it's quite extraordinary. Both were wonderful - two of my favourite performances by child actors.

Yeah agree with this. I watched it again last night and I think they're both fantastic. What really surprised me 2nd time around is Hayward's screen presence. She absolutely dominates the screen at times, it's quite remarkable.

I really hope this is the start of a great career for her (if she continues with acting). As you said, her screen presence is fantastic, especially for someone that young in such a difficult part.

quote:

It's so addictive!

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 65
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 4/1/2013 7:45:26 PM   
rawlinson

Have you seen what God Bless America comes out as?

Tara Lynne Barr - Roxy - Dogg Bless Tha Ghetto

Post #: 66
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 4/1/2013 9:01:55 PM   
Deviation

So, Kara Hayward will be here right? She was my favorite performance in Moonrise Kingdom.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 4/1/2013 9:02:39 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 67
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 7/1/2013 2:53:13 PM   
impqueen

Elizabeth Olsen - Martha - Martha Marcy May Marlene

I’ve yet to see New York Minute but if the performances of Mary-Kate and Ashley are anything close to the superb turn from their little sister we may very well have a new Barrymore clan, if without those lovely moustaches.

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Lancaster Dodd - The Master

So I can finally forgive Mr Hoffman for his Truman Capote and stealing all of Toby Jones’ thunder. As the leader of The Cause, writer, doctor, nuclear physicist and theoretical philosopher Lancaster Dodd, Hoffman is a peculiar jolly fatman, charismatic and playful. He is a man you can believe easily capable with his deliberately calm demeanour of ensnaring and seducing followers to his side. Though he is at most merely a peddler of half arsed ideas drawn from any number of philosophies and fraudulent past life theories as well as a charlatan medical practitioner he does it ever so well. My favourite moments are his volcanic eruption at the home of a Philadelphian acolyte and the song he sings to Freddie at the end.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 68
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 7/1/2013 2:56:18 PM   
Whistler

Both fine choices. Elizabeth Olsen in particular.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 69
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 7/1/2013 2:56:24 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Elizabeth Olsen - Martha - Martha Marcy May Marlene

I’ve yet to see New York Minute but if the performances of Mary-Kate and Ashley are anything close to the superb turn from their little sister we may very well have a new Barrymore clan, if without those lovely moustaches.

The week after I get rid of Sky Movies is the week that it goes on Sky Premiere. Damn them to hell.

quote:

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Lancaster Dodd - The Master

So I can finally forgive Mr Hoffman for his Truman Capote and stealing all of Toby Jones’ thunder. As the leader of The Cause, writer, doctor, nuclear physicist and theoretical philosopher Lancaster Dodd, Hoffman is a peculiar jolly fatman, charismatic and playful. He is a man you can believe easily capable with his deliberately calm demeanour of ensnaring and seducing followers to his side. Though he is at most merely a peddler of half arsed ideas drawn from any number of philosophies and fraudulent past life theories as well as a charlatan medical practitioner he does it ever so well. My favourite moments are his volcanic eruption at the home of a Philadelphian acolyte and the song he sings to Freddie at the end.

Yeah, he was brilliant.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 70
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 7/1/2013 3:05:51 PM   
matty_b

Olsen - stunning performance. No Oscar nomination lolwut

Hoffman - brilliant as ever.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 71
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 7/1/2013 3:27:41 PM   
rawlinson

Yeah, another two excellent choices. PSH is one of those actors who can disappoint me with some of his film choices, then do something that'll completely blow me away.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 72
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 23/1/2013 2:05:47 PM   
elab49

quote:

Shirley MacLaine - Marjorie "Marge" Nugent – Bernie (36th)

In the wonderfully weird and colourfully macabre Bernie, Shirley MacLaine plays the virtually reclusive and recently widowed Mrs Nugent. She is befriended by popular mortician Bernie Tiede and soon they are practically inseparable. The wealthy woman soon goes missing. Still no one really notices or really cares because Mrs Nugent is by far the meanest woman in town. MacLaine (as Marge Nugent) gives us a deliciously sour and fierce turn as the mean spirited old biddy, a scarily possessive individual, a splendidly loathsome creature.

Jack Black - Bernie Tiede - Bernie / Seann William Scott - Doug Glatt – Goon (36th/50th)

My mother said something a few years ago along the lines of "…every actor has at least one half decent performance in them…” I didn't completely agree but here we are at the end of 2012, the apocalypse was a bust and two of my favourite acts of the year belong to a pair of 'comedic' actors I have in the past (to put it lightly) had very little time for. Coincidently or not both Black and Williams play characters based on real people and their experiences. One a sweet natured dolt finding his place in the world as a hockey enforcer and the other a man so beloved by the community that when he admits to murdering an elderly lady they rally to his side in defence.

As Doug Glatt, Scott if not a revelation at the least is a surprisingly heart-warming screen presence, quiet, a little bashful and very much the heart of the film. In Bernie, Black reins in some of his more obvious comic foibles and adds a subtle layer of slickness that is used effectively and puts a little bit of doubt into the minds of those watching.

Is McConaughey higher? I'd put that as the performance in the film - he seems to be enjoying himself so damn much too.

D'ya think it was an intervention that sat him down in front of a day's solid viewing of the romcom shit he's been making and got him to sort himself out?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 73
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 23/1/2013 2:32:24 PM   
impqueen

This will be finished by the weekend...

As for McConaughey he will be featuring but in a somewhat different way to others. I have no idea what happened but there was a considerable gap (for a working actor) of about 18 months between Ghost of Girlfriends (2009) and Lincoln Lawyer (2011) so maybe he had a period to reflect on the shit he had been making and what he wanted to be remembered for, he seemed to settle down in his personal life too and had a couple of children...Fool's Gold isn't a legacy anyone wants.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 74
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 23/1/2013 10:05:16 PM   
impqueen

Alice Lowe - Tina – Sightseers (43rd)

...and an angry woman.

Though I don’t believe looking back that Sightseers completely achieved the right mix of comedy and bloody horror it’s still at times an incredibly funny film and yet also satisfyingly gruesome. I enjoyed Steve Oram and his red faced man but Lowe had a bigger impact.

Yılmaz Erdoğan - Commissar Naci – Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (3rd)

"Yes, he was truly amazing". *

*as was Muhammet Uzuner as Doctor Cemal

Yes, always.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 75
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 23/1/2013 10:07:42 PM   
elab49

Missed Sightseers every time of asking and now I need to wait till March for the DVD. Bloody annoyed.

OUATIA is by a massive margin the greatest film with that acronym. Nice choice of performance.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 76
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 23/1/2013 10:09:59 PM   
impqueen

I really want to watch Anatolia again but I also want to keep it as a treat and save it for a later date.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 77
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 23/1/2013 10:13:10 PM   
elab49

I watched it again earlier this month. Still wonderful stuff -up hills, down hills, so gorgeously shot. 

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 78
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 23/1/2013 10:17:51 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

OUATIA is by a massive margin the greatest film with that acronym.

At what point was it decided that it would be Gimli who gets the most teasing around here? Because you're way worse.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 79
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 24/1/2013 1:50:01 AM   
Deviation

quote:

Yılmaz Erdoğan - Commissar Naci – Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (3rd)

"Yes, he was truly amazing". *

*as was Muhammet Uzuner as Doctor Cemal
[/center]

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 80
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 5/2/2013 12:25:14 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

23/1/2013 2:32:24 PM

quote:

Anyway, watched Sound of My Voice. Superb film.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 81
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 15/2/2013 4:04:09 PM   
impqueen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anyway, watched Sound of My Voice. Superb film.

Yeah well...

Amy Adams - Peggy Dodds - The Master (12th)

The idea that Anne Hathaway’s performance in Les Misérables is in anyway near the brilliance of Amy Adams quite stunning turn as Mrs Dodds is laughable.

Hugh Grant - The Pirate Captain - The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists (5th)

It took ten years but Hugh Grant finally managed to showcase his limited talents for the better again and though it has been a long boring, shitty comedy filled void since About a Boy, it would seem the wait (well a complete lack of interest in his career) was worth it.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 15/2/2013 4:06:03 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 82
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 15/2/2013 4:11:33 PM   
MovieAddict247

Adams is very good - I'm not normally a fan.

Grant was wonderful and I hope its the start of a comeback.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 83
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 15/2/2013 4:14:11 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

The idea that Anne Hathaway’s performance in Les Misérables is in anyway near the brilliance of Amy Adams quite stunning turn as Mrs Dodds is laughable.

You know that thing you said about randomly getting angry about Les Mis? I've found myself doing it as well. It's turned into an epic rant in my head.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 84
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 15/2/2013 4:25:37 PM   
impqueen

quote:

Adams is very good - I'm not normally a fan.

Grant was wonderful and I hope its the start of a comeback.

I like Adams, I have for a good few years now, I thought she was excellent in Junebug (a blind buy) and I've been keeping an eye out ever since.

quote:

quote:

You know that thing you said about randomly getting angry about Les Mis? I've found myself doing it as well. It's turned into an epic rant in my head.

It's odd isn't it, walking happily down the street, suddenly coming to a stop and screaming BUT IT IS SO FUCKING SHIT!

Yes, always.

Post #: 85
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 15/2/2013 4:28:22 PM   
impqueen

I feel bored with my list (who isn’t?) so I’m going to run through them quickly in a quitter’s kind of way. I’ve also began to imagine my pairs as people involved in romantic entanglements and this has amused me far more than it should.

Ralph Fiennes - Caius Martius Coriolanus – Coriolanus (15th) / AnnaLynne McCord - Pauline – Excision (38th)

Here we have a delusional wannabe surgeon rapidly going off the deep end and Coriolanus (anus) a Roman general on the rise (about to fall) with an impressive mother and staggering rage issues. Excision was a lovely, if bloody surprise one I really enjoyed and I loved the ending. As our self-taught medical whiz McCord gives a genuinely fearless performance. As a choice for making his directorial debut Coriolanus wasn’t exactly the easy option but Fiennes created an intelligent, vivid film without dumbing down the play’s politics or language whilst allowing his impressive cast to get on with it, including himself.

Yes, always.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 86
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 15/2/2013 4:32:52 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I feel bored with my list (who isn’t?)

I'm not bored with it.

quote:

I’ve also began to imagine my pairs as people involved in romantic entanglements

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 87
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 15/2/2013 4:50:18 PM   
impqueen

Some of them could work others would be completely inappropriate.

Frédéric Bourdin – as Himself – The Imposter (18th) / Jennifer Lawrence - Tiffany Maxwell - Silver Linings Playbook (30th)

I think this one could actually work.

Is the choice of Bourdin a cheat? Possibly and I think if I were to watch The Imposter again my initial enjoyment would be undermined, so I think I’ll just keep my first watch as a single viewing but I found him an enthralling watch. As for Lawrence and Silver Linings Playbook if I were to do this list again there would be room for her three main co-stars but Lawrence would still be my top choice of the four. I wasn’t a fan of The Hunger Games but Lawrence shined through and though she was obviously superb in Winter's Bone I wasn’t prepared for just how good she is in Silver Linings. If I was to choose my favourite scenes of last year it would take the form of another half arsed list but I’ll save myself (and others) the trouble and tell you now that in first place would be the showdown at House of Pat. In this moment Lawrence surrounded by a room full of peers including De Niro (better than he’s been for a decade) owns the screen, she is electrifying and at the cinema I’m pretty sure I gasped in wonder.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 88
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 15/2/2013 4:56:53 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Some of them could work others would be completely inappropriate.

quote:

I think if I were to watch The Imposter again my initial enjoyment would be undermined

Mine was.

Lawrence is just amazing.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 89
RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 - 15/2/2013 5:11:13 PM   
impqueen

Sean Penn - Cheyenne - This Must Be the Place (4th) / Kara Hayward - Suzy - Moonrise Kingdom (7th)

I personally dislike Sean Penn, I think much like Bono he is a self-important nob. I could be wrong and judging people you don’t actually know is futile. Still as an actor I also find his often histrionic performances unpalatable (and think U2 are shit) so imagine my bewilderment and then genuine delight that in This Must Be the Place, grumpy serious Mr Penn is wonderful and surprising. So Kara has that amazing face, has been a member of Mensa since before she was ten and gives a fiercely bright turn in her film debut. I am rubbish.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI