Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Empire Nature Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Empire Nature Club Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 3/1/2013 9:14:48 PM   
sanchia

Seals at Blakeney Point.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 31
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 3/1/2013 9:57:50 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Where's the one with the lighthouse taken? That looks amazing.

That's looking across to the isle of Arran on the West coast. The snow covered hills include Goat Fell which is the biggest peak on the island (although not of munro height) and where we were heading that day. The ferry terminal where I was standing to get the pic is Ardrossan. I have to say we definitely lucked out with the conditions - I've been to Arran a couple of times and have never been in weather or seen it like that before. Beautiful.

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

Some great photos there Sway. I am jealous that you got to see an Adder up so close.

Thanks. Ah, my dad being a total tool, actually picked it up with his trekking pole. The UK's only venomous snake and he decides to aggravate it.

Sanchia, that's a brilliant photo - did you take that yourself? Puts my shitty one to shame for sure.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 32
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 4/1/2013 7:06:21 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Sanchia, that's a brilliant photo - did you take that yourself? Puts my shitty one to shame for sure.

I took a boat trip and used my big lens. I was lucky in that we were only about thirty metres away from them.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 33
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 4/1/2013 10:12:23 AM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

Where's the one with the lighthouse taken? That looks amazing.

That's looking across to the isle of Arran on the West coast. The snow covered hills include Goat Fell which is the biggest peak on the island (although not of munro height) and where we were heading that day. The ferry terminal where I was standing to get the pic is Ardrossan. I have to say we definitely lucked out with the conditions - I've been to Arran a couple of times and have never been in weather or seen it like that before. Beautiful.

Awesome. I really like lighthouses.

I don't know why.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 34
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 4/1/2013 10:49:05 AM   
Chief

quote:

Awesome. I really like lighthouses.

I don't know why.

The phallic shape. You love the cock.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 35
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 4/1/2013 11:29:12 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 36
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 11/1/2013 6:43:12 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Not your back garden is it Sanch?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-20971787

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 37
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 24/1/2013 3:07:04 PM   
Sway

Went for a long walk today and saw loads of wee birdies! Could have got a far better shot of this wee guy, as he was flitting about at the side of the road keeping a couple of posts ahead of me. A big truck came past and he flew away.

Headed towards the castle and came across hundreds of chaffinches, blue tits, sparrows, etc. If I wasn't so cold, and if I had the patience I would have stayed for longer to get better pics.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 38
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 24/1/2013 6:03:11 PM   
sanchia

Whilst walking by the river near work today I was followed by a couple of Egyptian Geese. It was good to see as yesterday he had lost her and was sitting on top of a building honking his little heart out (slightly less pleasant when he gave a duck a good pecking for getting too close to the missus).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Not your back garden is it Sanch?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-20971787

I haven't seen a slug in a while. I may need to lay a cadaver out there to see what happens.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 39
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 24/1/2013 7:30:23 PM   
Harry Lime

That look likes a fantastic walk, Sway.

You have a few Chaffinch in that tree but it is mostly Brambling in there! Brilliant little Scandinavian winter visitors. Cracking stuff (he says jealously ). You have some Yellowhammers in there too!

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 24/1/2013 7:31:06 PM >

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 40
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 24/1/2013 8:08:44 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

That look likes a fantastic walk, Sway.

You have a few Chaffinch in that tree but it is mostly Brambling in there! Brilliant little Scandinavian winter visitors. Cracking stuff (he says jealously ). You have some Yellowhammers in there too!

I couldn't figure out what the bramblings were - had to get my dad to tell me once I showed him the pics.

I've got more pics of the birds here the quality of them aren't as great, but I might aswell share. It's strange, I've walked down that track god knows how many time in my life and I've never seen the quantity of birds as I saw today. It was heaving with them!

Not a particularly nice shot, with a random person and a car in the background, but just a small portion of the wee birds that were flying about today -

More chaffinches and bramblings -

Bit more of a close up -

Out of focus unfortunately -

< Message edited by Sway -- 24/1/2013 8:10:54 PM >

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 41
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 24/1/2013 9:52:10 PM   
Skiba

I'm gonna drop a bit of a plug for a show I've been working on - David Attenborugh's Natural Curiosities that airs next Tues at 8pm on Eden. You'll find Eden way, way, way up the EPG!

I've seen bits of it and it's really, really interesting and I think you'll all enjoy it. Not quite the glitz or the budget of the recent Attenborough stuff on BBC and Sky, but it does delve in to why some animals are the way they are.

Would love to know your thoughts!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 42
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 25/1/2013 9:56:53 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

I'm gonna drop a bit of a plug for a show I've been working on - David Attenborugh's Natural Curiosities that airs next Tues at 8pm on Eden. You'll find Eden way, way, way up the EPG!

I've seen bits of it and it's really, really interesting and I think you'll all enjoy it. Not quite the glitz or the budget of the recent Attenborough stuff on BBC and Sky, but it does delve in to why some animals are the way they are.

We've only got freeview in the house, so I'm going to miss out unfortunately. Does sound interesting though!

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 43
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 26/1/2013 2:28:59 PM   
Sway

Saw a pair of Goldeneye's today, male and female. Couldn't get a decent picture of the female though.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 44
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 26/1/2013 3:37:29 PM   
simonmckergan1

Female Goldeneye? Sorted Sway

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 45
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 26/1/2013 5:09:22 PM   
Sway

Your pic is a lot more in focus than the ones I tried to take. What a beauty!

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 46
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 28/1/2013 10:57:00 AM   
hozay

Great thread Harry. I spend most of my spare time traipsing around local bushland reserves and National Parks looking for birds to photograph and if I don't see any birds (a rarity) there's always something else around like kangaroos, koalas, snakes, bugs or just some lovely rainforest. I'm extremely lucky to live in one the best birding areas in the country. It's very rewarding and keeps me fit with all the walking and climbing involved. It's as addictive as fishing and not much different, there's days when you catch that elusive target and there's often the one that got away.

These are a few recent shot's I've taken locally,

A Tawny Frogmouth. I spotted a pair of these in some bushland near here. You can get very close to these birds because they rely on staying still and trusting their camoflage more than fleeing. I was lucky to catch the pair awake.

This is a Boyd's Dragon I spotted just west of Cairns on a recent birding trip.

On the same trip to Cairns my wife and I had the great pleasure of watching for 30 minutes or more a couple of Platypus do their thing in a sandy bottom creek behind the birdwatching lodge we stayed in. It's not a very clear photo because you can't use flash as the Platypus have extremely sensitive eyes.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 47
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 28/1/2013 11:17:50 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Sky+'d it so I don't forget!

That's an incredible pic of the Tawny Frogmouth hozay, excuse my ignorance but is it an owl of some sort? Looks kind of owl like.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 48
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 28/1/2013 2:01:10 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: hozay

These are a few recent shot's I've taken locally,

A Tawny Frogmouth. I spotted a pair of these in some bushland near here. You can get very close to these birds because they rely on staying still and trusting their camoflage more than fleeing. I was lucky to catch the pair awake.

This is a brilliant shot! Although the glare is kind of creeping me out a bit.....

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 49
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 28/1/2013 5:41:51 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

Sky+'d it so I don't forget!

That's an incredible pic of the Tawny Frogmouth hozay, excuse my ignorance but is it an owl of some sort? Looks kind of owl like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawny_Frogmouth

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 50
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 29/1/2013 12:45:17 AM   
hozay

quote:

I have to admit that as much as I get really, really frustrated about not being able to see as much of the world as I'd like to, I also really appreciate what I have on my doorstep. Shameful narcissitic posting, but here's some more of my pics from across Scotland.

If you've got it, flaunt it !
Stunning photos Sway.

I was overwhelmed by the beauty of Scotland when I went there. Easily one of my favourite places in the World for natural beauty ( that I've visited ). I've promised to take my wife there one day and hopefully get to see more of the place next time.

I should probably clarify that I'm not really a birdwatcher in the true sense. I'm more into the photography side than the spotting and recording aspect. No less addictive though.
I'll put together a list of sightings soon but in the meantime here's a couple of my favourite locals.

An Eastern Yellow Robin. This one followed us, looking for a feed as we walked one of the tracks in Lamington National Park. I've heard the local Rangers often feed the birds when conducting tours from the lodge, which is not very good considering all the signs about the place telling you why you should never feed the wildlife. Anyway these are a very lovely little bird and quite common all through South-east Queensland.

The Rufous Whistler, not just a pretty face but also a great songbird.

This tiny fellow, just 14cm tip to tail is a male Variegated Fairy - wren in full mating plumage. I took this shot at a public reserve just 10 minutes from home. It's less than 20 acres in size but I've photographed more then 60 species and spotted a dozen more in one year within it's boundaries.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 51
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 30/1/2013 11:02:59 PM   
Sway

Brilliant shots there - I could only dream of taking pics of birds that look so professional.

It's always nice to see birds from other parts of the world. That Robin is lovely - strange to think that what's 'common' for one person, is something completely new and enchanting for another.

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 52
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 31/1/2013 6:48:29 AM   
hozay

quote:

Brilliant shots there - I could only dream of taking pics of birds that look so professional.

It's always nice to see birds from other parts of the world. That Robin is lovely - strange to think that what's 'common' for one person, is something completely new and enchanting for another.

If you're on Facebook I recommend liking the page for Tropical Birding Tours, that way you'll get a couple of pics a day on your feed, of birds from all over the world. Their tour guides are also very handy with a camera.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 53
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 2/2/2013 7:09:20 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: hozay

quote:

If you're on Facebook I recommend liking the page for Tropical Birding Tours, that way you'll get a couple of pics a day on your feed, of birds from all over the world. Their tour guides are also very handy with a camera.

That's a good idea, will have a wee nosey for that just now.

Speaking of Robins, we were out for a walk along a river today and a Robin appeared in a tree beside us. I slowly took the camera out of my bag and was surprised at how long it just sat there looking at us at such close range. Unfortunately by the time I'd faffed about with the stupid camera (my folks were given a decent camera from my bro for their Christmas and none of us have the first clue about photography or using such a camera with a thousand settings), it had flown away.

I forgot all about it on the rest of our walk, as we happened to spot two ducks later on that we were trying to identify (turned out to be Goosanders, but couldn't get a pic of them), and then on the way back the wee Robin appeared at the same spot. And so again, I got the camera out, and this wee guy hopped from branch to branch infront of me, getting closer each time. My dad and I were laughing - I swear it was practically posing for the camera. It would sit for a short while in one position then turn round. Then it hopped onto the ground infront of us, and we slowly followed it. I know they're fairly territorial birds, so we were half wondering if it was trying to lead us out of his patch.

Anyway, here's the inquisitive wee fella here.

And here's a poorer quality pic of a Dipper we saw

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 54
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 2/2/2013 11:47:20 PM   
hozay

Nice pics Sway and that second one of the Robin is an excellent shot, I love it when they come and pose for you. It's so true that a lot of the small birds are inquisitive and if you stay in one spot for a while they'll come to see what you're up to. If you go bush walking and just tramp through at the usual walking speed you're likely to miss a lot of wildlife because they're easily startled but if you just relax and either walk really slowly or hang around a particular area for a bit all the critters calm down and carry on doing whatever they were doing before you came.
Yesterday I spotted two finches fixing their nest (we've had some big storms this week) and went and stood near by, after a while they decided to ignore me and get on with the job.
I shouldn't bombard the thread with a lot of bird photos and I won't but I like this shot.

Double - barred Finch

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 55
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 4/2/2013 10:45:40 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Watched it and really enjoyed it. Fascinating stuff!

Still not sure I understand exactly why the Giraffe's neck is elongated but loved the story of Zafara Interesting about the neck to leg ratio though and how their neck is considered short! I will definitely be watching the rest of the series

I watched last weeks "Africa" straight after so a double dose of David

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 56
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 11/2/2013 4:48:30 PM   
Skiba

quote:

quote:

Watched it and really enjoyed it. Fascinating stuff!

Still not sure I understand exactly why the Giraffe's neck is elongated but loved the story of Zafara Interesting about the neck to leg ratio though and how their neck is considered short! I will definitely be watching the rest of the series

I watched last weeks "Africa" straight after so a double dose of David

Glad you enjoyed it It has broken all sorts of records for the channel and got the highest ratings by quite some margin. Helped in no small part to Attenborough being on Jonathan Ross' show last week.

Have a good time, all the time.

Post #: 57
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 10/3/2013 11:17:11 PM   
Harry Lime

They are some incredible photographs, Hozay. That Tawny Frogmouth is absolutely stunning, as is the Variegated Fairy-wren.

Back in wintery Britain, a good weekend of birding in the rain/ sleet/ snow/ devilish sky muck saw my year count tick past the one hundred mark with a Treecreeper, followed by a flock of 70+ Sanderling and my first Kingfisher of 2013.

Really looking forward to all the summer visitors starting to arrive now. In fact, I'm just looking forward to summer and a prolongued spell of heavenly sunshine.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 58
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 24/3/2013 5:27:36 PM   
sanchia

I was by the Quay earlier and there were Oystercatchers shouting up a storm and Crested Grebes in their winter dress by the shedload. I go back with my camera and all there is to see is some rather grumpy Mallards and these chaps:

< Message edited by sanchia -- 24/3/2013 5:28:09 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 59
RE: The Empire Nature Club - 24/3/2013 5:47:14 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I was by the Quay earlier and there were Oystercatchers shouting up a storm and Crested Grebes in their winter dress by the shedload. I go back with my camera and all there is to see is some rather grumpy Mallards and these chaps:

I really like this pic!

Recent nature spots for me have included a pine marten bounding across the road ahead of us, a red kite, a treecreeper, waxwings, and a redpoll.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen a redpoll and what a beautiful little bird it is!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Empire Nature Club Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI