Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Gerry Anderson Dies

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Gerry Anderson Dies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gerry Anderson Dies - 26/12/2012 5:26:17 PM   
ChickMagnet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-20845407

Post #: 1
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 26/12/2012 5:35:02 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Very sad news. It seems like his passing was very peaceful, which is probably the best outcome as he'd been suffering from Alzheimer's for a while. RIP.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 2
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 26/12/2012 5:55:50 PM   
sanchia

Following Jack Klugman and Charles Durning the third death over this Christmas period. The man was an icon in many ways and has such a high level of work behind him. At least he had a full life and Alzheimers is an awful thing.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 3
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 26/12/2012 8:52:05 PM   
Super Hans

That's sad news, I too am glad that it was a peaceful end after suffering something like Alzheimers.

That's a seious legacy he's left - a truly distinctive style and shows like Thunderbirds which I'm pretty sure every generation of youngsters has be entertained by since. I'm sure that show in particular gets full re-runs every few years? Genuinely enduring stuff, in the grand scheme of things not many can have something like that to be proud of.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 4
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 26/12/2012 9:40:23 PM   
TUCK PENDLETON

As a child of the 60's (Yes im that old) I grew up with Gerry Anderson. Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, I loved them all.

As I grew into a teenager in the 70s I never really got into Dr Who, it always seemed cheap and tacky, but UFO and Space 1999 looked awesomely cool with amazing effects and lots of spectacular explosions, even today Space 1999 has a scope and production quality that's rarely been matched on TV (yeah OK, the flares on Moonbase Alpha do look really naff, they even did back then).

UFO remains to this day, one of my favourite shows ever. People always think of Gerry as just making kids shows, but UFO was quite 'adult' for its time dealing with drugs, sex, and murder (and aliens!), and usually ended on a downbeat note for SHADO HQ, but it still had all the cool hardware in the SHADO Mobiles, moonbase Interceptors, and the awesome SkyDivers.

So thanks Gerry, for shaping a childs imagination, and giving me a love of Sci Fi, which led me into Star Wars, Close Encounters, and Alien, and all the films that have followed since.

RIP

Play with it pal, but dont talk to it

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 5
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 26/12/2012 10:21:07 PM   
NadaPlissken

He's not dead, he's gone to take over from John in Thunderbird 5.

Thanks Gerry for shaping 90% of my childhood and my imagination. And for putting Gabrielle Drake in that skirt and purple wig.

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to TUCK PENDLETON)
Post #: 6
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 27/12/2012 11:08:36 AM   
elab49

I was never a Thunderbirds person but my main intro to Anderson was probably Space 1999 which I absolutely adored. Puppetwise it was Joe 90 for me. Not sure why, and not sure why I've not watched it since so I remedied that today and got the set which I will get me my niece and nephew to watch with me.

SO mcuh enjoyment over so many decades. And the Terrahawks of course

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to NadaPlissken)
Post #: 7
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 27/12/2012 7:56:53 PM   
steffols

The shows he created are timeless. I remember Joe 90 being on before Live+Kicking in the 90s, and my mum saying how she used to watch it as a kid and we enjoyed it together. I remember a similar thing happening with my brother when they repeated Thunderbirds on BBC2 a few years ago, my dad enjoyed watching it like he did as a child and my brother lapped it up on his first experience. He got all the Thunderbirds for Christmas that year. Personally, all of those shows brought my family together. My dad used to tell us whilst watching Captain Scarlet that he was scared of the Voice Of The Mysterons and it still creeped him out when he was in his 30s!

RIP.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 8
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 28/12/2012 8:03:37 AM   
Darth Marenghi

Yeah, Captain Scarlet was the Don as far as I'm concerned.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 9
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 28/12/2012 12:11:46 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

Yeah, Captain Scarlet was the Don as far as I'm concerned.

I never really got into Thunderbirds, but I loved Captain Scarlet, such a fantastic little universe.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 10
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 28/12/2012 12:19:03 PM   
sanchia

The BBC 2 6 p.m. showings of this were what really brought him to my attention so I concur.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 11
RE: Gerry Anderson Dies - 29/12/2012 10:59:37 PM   
rich

RIP to a legend. Have the Thunderbirds DVDs here, was a fan as a kid after the BBC revival, early to mid 90s I think. Must pick up some Captain Scarlet too, classy stuff.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Gerry Anderson Dies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI