Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Devon and Cornwall floods

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Devon and Cornwall floods Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Devon and Cornwall floods - 23/12/2012 12:39:24 AM   
Goodfella

It's hard to really describe what the weather is like here at the moment. It has relentlessly rained in the village I live in for what is well into a full 24 hours now, it's just not ceased, not even for a few moments. Walking home from work tonight it was hard to see more than a few feet in front of you and you can't hear approaching cars whatsoever through the wind, let alone see them. The church wall has collapsed, the football ground and bowling green are both flooded and the sea is pretty much in the road, the water looks like what I can only describe as hot chocolate.

Mind you, that is nothing! My sister lives in Braunton, some of you will have seen it on the news today. Here's some pictures for those who haven't...

I lived in Braunton for six years and I can't tell from those pictures where the car park starts and the road ends but that's nothing, the rain is still pounding down there and she's in her top floor flat where somehow her and her fiancee managed to return too, luckily my two year-old niece is next door to me now! She had to park her car nearly an hour's walk away to go back and get her things to return to our's tomorrow, when her finacee, who is 6ft2, attempted to return down the same way they came the water was above his waist!

Coastguard, police and other emergency services are floating about down below them and the River Caen, which burst an 18-month old 1.5 million water defence system this morning, is so loud it's over their television set no matter how loud they turn it up.

Thoughts out there to anyone else in these areas effected by these floods, stay safe and if you are travelling down here for Christmas feel free to PM for any details regarding to closed roads, don't trust internet services, many of them are giving incorrect details!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 1
RE: UK floods - 23/12/2012 2:55:30 PM   
Sway

Snap.

Except we've had non-stop heavy rain for the past week! My folks reckon in all their time of living here (30+ years) they've never seen such relentless rain. Personally, after living in Glasgow for 8 years, I'm accustomed to it. Not the flooding though.

Anyway, absolutely horrible for those directly affected with it being two days before Christmas. Hope they have all family and friends who can take them in for over the next while until they can get back on their feet.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 2
RE: UK floods - 23/12/2012 3:25:43 PM   
Hood_Man

There's been a fair few train cancellations on my route, I'm glad I came home when I did. My sis seems to have caught one that isn't cancelled and should be home soon though.

Apart from some over running drains it's really not been that bad around here. A lot of flood preparations that have been erected in the last 30 or so years are holding up pretty good.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 3
RE: UK floods - 23/12/2012 4:47:59 PM   
Goodfella

Sorry should have called the thread UK Floods from the start really! To be honest with all the focus being on what's happened down here via the news and the fact that being so occupied with what's going on around us I was aware there were other areas in the UK that had had serious rain, but not flooding, so my thoughts are out there too Sway and others!

We're expected exactly the same tomorrow, it's supposed to hit again for another good 24 hours! I don't know how much more my village can take and I have a horrible feeling if we get it very badly then we may wake up Christmas morning and find streams outside!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 4
RE: UK floods - 23/12/2012 9:10:14 PM   
ChickMagnet

Over the year its been pretty bad, on Friday the Ouse burst its banks in the City Centre for the fifth time this year, now I'm used to it bursting once a year, but this year is ridiculous, there's a new restaurant in Castle Street that has already said it'll probably have to close down due to the cost of cleaning up the building once the waters have subsided, and the thing is in nearly 10 years of living here, this is the 1st year that I can recall Castle Street flooding.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5
RE: UK floods - 24/12/2012 6:28:02 PM   
Hood_Man

Good luck to anyone travelling tonight

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Devon and Cornwall floods Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI