Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol"

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol" - 18/12/2012 3:52:03 PM   
Dannybohy

I am a sucker for Scrooged with Bill Murry personally! especially as it is the only 'different take' on the story and its funny as hell!

For the more classic take I love the Alistair Sims version. I recently watched the Jim Carrey animation which was excellent. I am also pretty sure Jim Carrey studied the Sims version ?!

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 20/12/2012 10:04:59 AM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess
Post #: 1
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 18/12/2012 4:24:39 PM   
AxlReznor

Muppets.

That is all.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 18/12/2012 4:50:46 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Muppets.

That is all.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 3
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 18/12/2012 6:18:26 PM   
Vadersville

Muppets Christmas Carol
and
Scrooged.

I did enjoy the Jim Carrey version but it's not quite as brilliant as those two.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 4
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 18/12/2012 7:09:47 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Muppets Christmas Carol
and
Scrooged.

^This

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 5
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 18/12/2012 8:09:10 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Muppets Christmas Carol
and
Scrooged.

^This

Yup.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 6
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 18/12/2012 8:58:34 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

Muppets Christmas Carol
and
Scrooged.

^This

Yup.

I'd say that was motion carried.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 7
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 18/12/2012 8:59:56 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

I like the muppet version from 1992 :)

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 8
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 18/12/2012 9:48:24 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

Muppets Christmas Carol
and
Scrooged.

^This

Yup.

I'd say that was motion carried.

I agree with all of this. Except the Scrooged part.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 9
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 18/12/2012 11:28:53 PM   
DancingClown

Scrooged for me.

I do remember loving Mickey's Christmas Carol as well when I was but a boy.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 10
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 18/12/2012 11:44:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

No love for the Sim version?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 11
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 12:08:32 AM   
rich

Is that the one with Alec Guiness? If so that one.

Muppets and Scrooged are both fine entertainment for the holidays though.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 12
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 12:10:20 AM   
Rgirvan44

I have always had this theory that the best Scrooges are those that still retain just a little bit of their nasty side until the very end. Audiences enjoy the nasty bloke much more than the redemption I think.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 13
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 12:15:50 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I have always had this theory that the best Scrooges are those that still retain just a little bit of their nasty side until the very end. Audiences enjoy the nasty bloke much more than the redemption I think.

Absolutely. Anyone ever see Cash on Demand? It's riffing on A Christmas Carol, but without the supernatural element. Peter Cushing as a mean-spirited bank manager getting a lesson in goodwill on Christmas Eve.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 14
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 2:23:37 AM   
vad3r

Never seen one.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 15
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 9:50:42 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Never seen one.

I know someone whos getting a visit this Christmas eve!!

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 16
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 4:21:17 PM   
Discodez

Scrooged? are you having a laugh? It's a terrible awful film full of ridiculous characters and situations. I mean how would a Skeleton grow to 200 feet tall without osteoporosis turning his bones to dust? it makes no sense at all, the whole thing is so full of plot holes it looks like an elongated episode of Eastenders, the croched quilt edition. And Bill Murray, what's he supposed to be, he just plays the same character in every film, grumpy twat who get's turned around by some bird who looks like Andi MacDowell. And anyone who likes it is just a pretentious Richard Donner fan boy who can't see the wood for the trees, the man couldn't direct traffic.

And then, at the end it's all revealed to be a dream! Disgusting lazy schmaltzy American trash. Charles Shakespeare must be apopletcic with rage.

As Will Self said - derp derp, derp derp, derp derp - pass the smack spoon!

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 17
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 4:26:27 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

And that's why Hippos hate Jesus.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 18
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 4:36:40 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

And that's why Hippos hate Jesus.

I heard that Rumour

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 19
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 5:31:58 PM   
UTB

There used to be a BBC version shown every year (not Alistair Sim version) that I haven't been able to track down that I loved.

However, in recent years Mrs UTB and I have thoroughly enjoyed the Zemeckis/Carrey version. Very dark when it needs to be, funny and uplifting.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 20
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 6:27:35 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Scrooged? are you having a laugh? It's a terrible awful film full of ridiculous characters and situations. I mean how would a Skeleton grow to 200 feet tall without osteoporosis turning his bones to dust? it makes no sense at all, the whole thing is so full of plot holes it looks like an elongated episode of Eastenders, the croched quilt edition. And Bill Murray, what's he supposed to be, he just plays the same character in every film, grumpy twat who get's turned around by some bird who looks like Andi MacDowell. And anyone who likes it is just a pretentious Richard Donner fan boy who can't see the wood for the trees, the man couldn't direct traffic.

And then, at the end it's all revealed to be a dream! Disgusting lazy schmaltzy American trash. Charles Shakespeare must be apopletcic with rage.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 21
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 7:26:15 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

Really I have never meet any one who hates this film. It's up there with the Alastair Sim's film as best christmas film. The Muppet's and the Jim Carrey are good as well. Call me a fanboy but I like most of Richard Donner's films and Karen Allen looks nothing like Andi MacDowell. And have you read A Christmas Carol at all ?.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 22
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 11:03:57 PM   
Mister Coe

Much as I love the Muppets, my favourite version is the one with Patrick Stewart and Richard E Grant.

Say what now?

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 23
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 19/12/2012 11:26:30 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Never seen one.

I know someone whos getting a visit this Christmas eve!!

Oooh, matron...(!)

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 24
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 20/12/2012 1:57:06 AM   
england_cmr

I personally wasn't too impressed with the new Jim Carey version, so for me its A Muppets Christmas Caroll. It captures the tone and themes of the books perfectly, and despite being a Muppets film its very faithful to the book.

1) Inception
2) Wall - E
3) Beetlejuice
4) Big Fish
5) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6) Spirited Away
666) Battleship

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 25
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 20/12/2012 8:43:10 AM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

Really I have never meet any one who hates this film. It's up there with the Alastair Sim's film as best christmas film. The Muppet's and the Jim Carrey are good as well. Call me a fanboy but I like most of Richard Donner's films and Karen Allen looks nothing like Andi MacDowell. And have you read A Christmas Carol at all ?.

Satire is clearly lost on some people (did you not notice who started the thread?)

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 26
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 20/12/2012 10:07:02 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

No love for the Sim version?

oops! i had to adjust my original post!! which should have said Alistair Sims! not Albert Finney!!! my head was up my arse, ive watched too many versions of Christmas Carol this December already!!. Watched the Muppets version again last night with my kids! forgot how great it was and fantastic to see my kids reaction to it!!.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 20/12/2012 10:13:11 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: england_cmr

I personally wasn't too impressed with the new Jim Carey version, so for me its A Muppets Christmas Caroll. It captures the tone and themes of the books perfectly, and despite being a Muppets film its very faithful to the book.

I was surprised how faithful it was to the book too! Its wasn't until I watched so many version in a row I realised how clever the Muppets version is!.

My very new ( and im sure very annoying) habit is when anyone knocks on my office door! I shout "come in! come in and know me better man!!" . Only half of people have any idea what I'm talking about! the best a cleverest reaction was " as long as you don't want me to touch your robe again! its against office policy!"

(in reply to england_cmr)
Post #: 28
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 2/1/2013 3:38:45 PM   
BagEnder

Mine would have to be the animated version by Richard Williams (I see it's also up on YouTube). It's delightfully unsettling in all the right places.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 29
RE: What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol... - 3/1/2013 10:11:57 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BagEnder

Mine would have to be the animated version by Richard Williams (I see it's also up on YouTube). It's delightfully unsettling in all the right places.

Don't believe i have seen this one! thanks. I will look it up

(in reply to BagEnder)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> What is your favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI