Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 25/1/2013 12:09:03 PM   
TheGodfather

Django Unchained
Tarantino always wanted to make a Spaghetti Western and here it finally is. Slave Django (Jamie Foxx) goes, together with bounty hunter Dr. Schultz (a wonderful Christoph Waltz) looking for his caputerd wife.
Tarantino`s dreamproject is an excellent hard and bloody hommage to the Western and has surprisingly much humor.
It is remakble too see though how in a film about the title hero it is exactly this character that is the one that leaves the least impression. Jamie Foxx isn`t that convincing alof of the time (although he really tries hard), Samuel L. Jackson, Leonardo DiCaprio and especially Christoph Waltz are all far more enjoyable than Foxx.
At moments Tarantino could`ve picked up the pace a bit more, some moments drag on a little bit. With its running time of two hours and 45 minutes it is a bit too long (although surprisingly not at the ending) but overall Django Unchained has become a film that perfectly first the Tarantino tradition.

8,5/10

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 121
RE: Oh you silver tongued devil you - 25/1/2013 1:28:21 PM   
MonsterCat

I would say that Jackson has played a lot of roles that basically require him to play off recognizable Jackson tropes, but I disagree that's all he has done throughout his career.

Rgirvan listed some pretty good examples there.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Don_a_van)
Post #: 122
RE: Oh you silver tongued devil you - 25/1/2013 1:47:43 PM   
Don_a_van

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I would say that Jackson has played a lot of roles that basically require him to play off recognizable Jackson tropes, but I disagree that's all he has done throughout his career.

Didn't say ALL his roles were similiar, just the huge majority. Come on, there are countless jokes about how "Jackson-like" most of his perfermances are, all over the internet and if it's on the internet then it must be true

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 123
RE: Oh you silver tongued devil you - 25/1/2013 2:15:57 PM   
MOTH

I quite liked the mix of music in it. I like to think of it as an Unchained Medley.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Don_a_van)
Post #: 124
RE: Oh you silver tongued devil you - 25/1/2013 2:18:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don_a_van

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Didn't say ALL his roles were similiar, just the huge majority. Come on, there are countless jokes about how "Jackson-like" most of his perfermances are, all over the internet and if it's on the internet then it must be true

No one is denying that Jackson can be lazy - the point that folks are making is that in this case, he is actually delivering the goods.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Don_a_van)
Post #: 125
RE: Oh you silver tongued devil you - 25/1/2013 2:23:30 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

I quite liked the mix of music in it. I like to think of it as an Unchained Medley.

*rimshot*

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 126
Django Unchained - 25/1/2013 3:08:14 PM   
ajm1991

'Django Unchained ' is neither an independent revision of history nor a successful revival of western spaghetti. It's another Tarantino effigy playing with comic book violence.The imprecise conversations interfere with spasms of gore & graphic cruelty, frames referring pop culture, visual wits - all of the signature obsessions of Tarantino are on full and florid display here. Drawing inspirations from 'Django' & "Mondingo" -spaghetti cults of the 60's , 'Django Unchained' is about an African slave rescuing his wife from the hands of sadist aristocrat with the help of an abolitionist turned bounty hunter. My Detailed Review: http://www.filmwaves.in/2013/01/django-unchained.html

Post #: 127
RE: Django Unchained - 27/1/2013 1:56:53 PM   
Proudfoot

This is the shortest long film I've ever seen. Even the second time it still feels like it's 80 minutes long.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to ajm1991)
Post #: 128
Fuck me, it's a nigger on a horse - 27/1/2013 8:29:53 PM   
bretty

Probably my favourite QT film to date and the minutes flew by. Surprised at any critical comments about the length. The casting was perfect (except maybe for a dodgy Australian towards the end!) and it captured a terrible time in history. Yes there were plenty of light moments but underneath it was a theme of misery against which QT plays out his hero on a quest theme. Very good indeed.

Post #: 129
RE: JANGO - 28/1/2013 7:44:50 AM   
perceptivemystery

OK first post ever on here and I have to say this movie is flat out fun, it is a riot, love the story line, especially seeing it right after Lincoln (which was hard to stay awake through (not bashing the movie)). I dont understand how people dont think jamie fox did a good job, I feel it was seemingly natural for him, I couldnt imagine the role being played better. Foxx's acting seemed subtle at times and loved the minimal dialogue, I think foxx's acting really made the movie solid. I do not have an extensive education or professional experience in acting or films and maybe I am just deluded by the role of the character, kind of being the humane hero. I love the person who played the role of the initial German bounty hunter as well. I didnt like Leanardo's or Jackson's characters at all, but do think Jackson did a good job acting. I am not a huge fan of kill bill or even resevoir dogs (I hope I will not be stoned for those confessions), but I loved this movie. I have to listen to the soundtrack, I went crazy when they started playing hip hop, Rick Ross's song was amazing even though I am not a huge fan of him, and the Tupac seen was intense and moving. I thought one of the songs was Frank Ocean but it was John Legend. I am a avid fan of good hip hop but also follow and enjoy other music. I kind of tuned out some of the other songs, but want to give them a fair chance and I think I could really appreciate them. This and Looper are 2 of the better movies I have seen lately. I rarely enjoy watching movies twice, and I dont think this is one I will enjoy as much watching it again

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 130
RE: JANGO - 28/1/2013 10:43:06 AM   
SarahBanks195

I liked the film but I don't know if it is his best film, as I know everyone is saying its amazing eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrNW4EZV6Sw and its hard to get the Guardian to like many films but I think it could have been for the fact I'm not a big fan of Jamie Foxx, and I just found he performance quite weak in comparison of Christoph Waltz and Leo Di Caprio.

But overall the film I would say it 4 stars out of 5

(in reply to perceptivemystery)
Post #: 131
RE: JANGO - 29/1/2013 11:39:48 AM   
Jasper_29

Scene with the handshake dilemma was where the movie should have been done in my opinion. What follows is way too violent (where do all these people with guns come from?) and there are at least two deus ex machina too many in my opinion. Up until then it was probably my favorite Tarantino since Pulp Fictio, but ends up being not quite classics like the Kill Bills and Basterds. 8/10

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to SarahBanks195)
Post #: 132
RE: JANGO - 30/1/2013 1:15:43 PM   
Arriflex

quote:

ORIGINAL: SarahBanks195

I liked the film but I don't know if it is his best film...

I don't think it was his best film either, for one there's just not enough gore and the violence and blood splatter were quite pulled back in comparison to Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds. Also strangely enough, which many people have probably pointed it out in the previous pages, the 'leading' female character (Brynhildr) has no character development or a background history like we see in many of Quentin's past films. To me I think Django is the first 'laid back' film. 'Laid back', because it's not as intense and violent as his previous films. Don't get me wrong I do quite enjoy it and it was very entertaining and engaging (I wouldn't mind paying to see it again the second time), but Django seems completely different. It doesn't captivate me as much as Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds, and it's probably because the story isn't as strong as his previous works.

But yes, great film - loved it. And I should say big kudos to the editor of making Django an entertaining success capturing Quentin's style. I was quite apprehensive how this film would turn out without Sally Menke (bless that woman) whose edited all of his films.

(in reply to SarahBanks195)
Post #: 133
RE: JANGO - 30/1/2013 1:22:12 PM   
AxlReznor

Not enough gore? Did you see the same film as I did?

(in reply to Arriflex)
Post #: 134
RE: Oh you silver tongued devil you - 30/1/2013 8:56:08 PM   
Coyleone

I really don't understand the complaints about it being too long. It's brilliantly paced and moves so quickly it's pretty insane considering it is quite long. I've seen 90 minute films that actually felt longer when watching them.

I also wouldn't agree with the complaint that it gets deflated after the shoot out (which was amazing), because after the slight blip with the QT scene, from the point he escaped and rode off on the horse with that John Legend track playing, up until he rescued his wife from that cabin with the Morricone music blasting, coming off as a true hero, it was sheer entertaining brilliance imo. I loved the fact that this was a full on crowd pleaser by the end. The hero rescues the damsel in distress and they live happily ever after. So simple, but that was honestly the most satisfied (for the characters) at the end of a film I've felt for a long time. Loved it.

(in reply to Don_a_van)
Post #: 135
RE: Oh you silver tongued devil you - 30/1/2013 10:22:10 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

I really don't understand the complaints about it being too long. It's brilliantly paced and moves so quickly it's pretty insane considering it is quite long. I've seen 90 minute films that actually felt longer when watching them.

I also wouldn't agree with the complaint that it gets deflated after the shoot out (which was amazing), because after the slight blip with the QT scene, from the point he escaped and rode off on the horse with that John Legend track playing, up until he rescued his wife from that cabin with the Morricone music blasting, coming off as a true hero, it was sheer entertaining brilliance imo. I loved the fact that this was a full on crowd pleaser by the end. The hero rescues the damsel in distress and they live happily ever after. So simple, but that was honestly the most satisfied (for the characters) at the end of a film I've felt for a long time. Loved it.

It's incredibly satisfying, almost beautiful, yet still just a pure lurid good time.

Such a fun,fun movie. It's great to have someone who's all about giving the audience a great ride.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 136
It was great until... - 1/2/2013 11:47:51 AM   
chris wootton

Tarantino showed up.. absolutely killed it in it's tracks for me. I liked Jamie Foxx and thought that Jackson was actually the weak link

Post #: 137
FOUR STARS SUCCESS..... - 3/2/2013 5:45:36 PM   
chrisdagnall

DICAPRIO/WALTZ ARE THE STARS OF THE SHOW HERE.....KERRY WASHINGTON'S CHARACTER UNDERDEVELOPED, DEFINITELY....

Post #: 138
QT's best since Pulp Fiction - 5/2/2013 1:25:16 PM   
Mr Gittes

I'm a huge fan of westerns and Tarantino, so to say I was excited about this is a bit of an understatement. However, I wasn't expecting it to be better than Inglourious Basterds so...wow.

First of all, the cast is incredible. Christoph Waltz is amazing (who would expect anything less?), Jackson gives his best performance in years, Walton Goggins is unforgettable in a colourful supporting role and Jamie Foxx was very good in the lead role; I have to disagree with Empire on that one although there was a moment in his final speech to Stephen where I could understand where they were coming from. But the biggest surprise here is Dicaprio. I've been surprised by him before and I knew he'd be really good but I didn't expect to be this scared by him. A terrifying performance.

The script is marvellous of course and directorially, this is probably Tarantino's most beautiful film. There are times where he is like the bastard son of Leone and Peckinpah but in the end he is his own beast. What surprised me were the similarities to Unforgiven, namely in the brutally realistic scenes of violence against slaves (the Mandingo fight was particularly gut churning for me). As for the more OTT scenes of violence, the Wild Bunch fan in me was simply overjoyed at seeing the fountains of red splashing across the screen - actually splashing, mind, no digital blood (which I hate even in movies I like, e.g. Kick-Ass).

Now onto the problems...Kerry Washington's role as Broomhilda is certainly underwritten, which is strange for a Tarantino gal, and I guess the movie is too long but I sure wasn't complaining; I didn't want it to end, truth be told. It's nowhere near as self-indulgent as Death Proof or the Kill Bills. My biggest issue is Tarantino's cameo, which may be his worst yet and was completely distracting. What the hell was with that accent?! It was great to see Michael Parks and John Jarratt in that scene though.

Overall, it's not quite Pulp Fiction but it is his best sinc

Post #: 139
RE: QT's best since Pulp Fiction - 5/2/2013 3:56:21 PM   
CRUNT

fk all racist about this, apart from the whole film. cos it was set in those there times. got a bit fed up of Tarantino but was quite surprised by his lack of bullshit dialogue in this

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 140
RE: It was great until... - 5/2/2013 3:57:05 PM   
CRUNT

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris wootton

Tarantino showed up.. absolutely killed it in it's tracks for me. I liked Jamie Foxx and thought that Jackson was actually the weak link

yeah that wasnt good

(in reply to chris wootton)
Post #: 141
RE: It was great until... - 5/2/2013 3:57:41 PM   
CRUNT

sure the word mutha fucker wasnt banded about so much in those times either

(in reply to CRUNT)
Post #: 142
RE: Django Unchained - 7/2/2013 10:20:02 PM   
CeejSays

Review: Let me start with the negatives. The film is about 30 minutes too long, has some fairly nonsensical pacing issues and an A.D.D. tone as it bounces from serious to light-hearted to surreal and back again almost at random. That said, as a spectacle of sheer Tarantino insanity, it's difficult to find fault in it. The humour, the razor-sharp dialogue and the absurdly OTT visceral violence all make watching this movie one hell of an experience. Christopher Waltz is absolutely stunning, and both Foxx and DiCaprio enter strong, memorable performances. Slightly murky morality aside, this is a wildly enjoyable film that is well worth a look.

Rating: 8/10.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 7/2/2013 11:07:45 PM >

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 143
heavenly - 11/2/2013 2:25:12 PM   
kjhelston

this has been made by a god, it will make you cream

Post #: 144
Djumb as dogshite - 17/2/2013 1:29:02 AM   
Normal Control

The J is silent. Fuck this movie. Too tired to write more now, might give this a proper kicking later on.

Post #: 145
RE: heavenly - 17/2/2013 1:34:28 AM   
Normal Control

quote:

ORIGINAL: kjhelston

this has been made by a god, it will make you cream

aim your wanksplat somewhere else.

"you would need three promotions to get to be an asshole!"

(in reply to kjhelston)
Post #: 146
RE: Djumb as dogshite - 21/2/2013 10:38:52 AM   
twisted_state

Is not as bad as you say. But there are many weaknesses in this movie. Surelly it's not bad Tarantino movie, nothing more.

http://www.filmtied.com/user/dawid_zuchowicz

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 147
RE: Djumb as dogshite - 22/2/2013 2:18:30 AM   
YouSeenThat.com

ďThe D is silent, Nigerian.Ē

If you havenít managed to pick up what Quentin Tarantino has been putting down for the past couple of decades, then you never will. The sad fact is that you probably arenít the sharpest tool in the shed. Chances are youíre the sort of turkey that enjoys endless marathons of the television series Friends, the androgynous musical stylings of Justin Beiber, and taking those queer duck-lipped self shots for your collection of pretend friends on BookFace. When it comes to Tarantino weíre not saying that you have to love the cat; weíre just saying that the movie-making M.O. of our old mate with the jaw the size of Texas ainít particularly hard to pin down. A QT movie has to have at least five key ingredients: itís got to be hip, itís got to be long, itís got to be full of jive-talkiní mofos, itís got to be full of quiet moments punctuated by sharp and intense violence, and last but not least, itís got to have an eclectic soundtrack. In short, a Quentin Tarantino movie is the perfect metaphor to describe a healthy sex lifeÖ but the question is, did his latest attempt Django Unchained awaken the loins of cinefiles everywhere?

Django Unchained is the story of a freed slave Django (Jamie Foxx) who with the help of a German bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) sets out of rescue his wife from the brutal clutches of Mississippi plantation owner, Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio).

At its heart, Django Unchained is a simple revenge tale. But donít let that statement put you off, there is absolutely nothing wrong with simple; history has proven time and again that the best works of fiction are little more than simple tales executed with panache and enthusiasm. And when it comes to the execution stakes, a director like Quentin Tarantino has a track record of bringing the thunder. If you take the movie at face value, Django Unchained is obviously Tarantinoís attempt at paying homage to the bygone era of low-budget Italian Spaghetti Westerns of the 60ís and 70ís, akin to what he set out to do with Inglorious Basterds, his earlier nod to the stuffy World War II sub-genre. Inspired heavily by a little-known 1966 Spaghetti Western called Django, where the ďDĒ is also silent, there are no fancy plot devices or multi-threaded stories to be found in this Jamie Foxx vehicle Ė if youíre expecting that sort of malarkey from a Western, you undoubtedly expect far too much of the genre. Like we hinted at with the comment about panache and enthusiasm, a movie is the sum of all its parts, and as far as a revenge tale goes, the simple concept of a freed slave killing his way across the abhorrent backdrop of redneck 1800ís America to free his love is as good a hook as any. Sure, weíve seen the old trope of the family man out for revenge, but at least Django Unchained tries to put a different spin on a familiar setup.

Regardless of how good or bad Django Unchainedís hook may be, itís Tarantinoís trademark attention to detail, snappy dialogue and quirky characters that is inevitably going to make or break a movie like this. And for the most part, Tarantino ticks all the right boxes.

Django Unchainedís cast of characters, while prone to the usual Tarantino quirkiness, all add to the rich tapestry of this revenge tale. While youíve got the typical cast of rednecks and Western fodder, part and parcel of the genre, itís the relationship between our leads that makes Django Unchained worth the effort. As our well-spoken German bounty hunting dentist and freed slave make their way through the United States killing white men like a boss, the central relationship between Schultz (Waltz) and Django (Foxx) starts out as an uneasy one as our titular character feels out the intentions of his Germanic savior. As the story progresses this uneasy truce blossoms into mutual respect, and maybe even genuine friendship; it is this relationship that provides the solid cornerstone for the movie. Oh, and then there is Candie, the menacing nutbag plantation owner played by DiCaprio. What a revelation. If you love an absolute bastard of a bad guy, the sort of son-of-a-bitch that you almost want to root for, Candie is definitely the guy for you.

All of Tarantinoís characters are brought to life by some great performances. Waltz and Foxx have an great on screen chemistry, albeit Waltz almost seems to be playing the same character as he did in Inglorious Bastards, just with a slightly different hat. Of course thatís not to take away from Waltz as an actor, he certainly does a great job with the character of Schultz. Supporting characters like Stephen (Samuel L. Jackson), the resident Uncle Tom, are utterly sublime. But as we keep saying, DiCaprioís bad guy Candie absolutely steals the show. We were never huge fans of the young DiCaprio, we always thought of him as too much of a pretty boy, however he has certainly grown in leaps and bounds. His performance as the despicable Candie is without doubt one of his most outstanding performances to date. From his very first scene, complete with Mandingo fighting and the cocky head tilt with classic close up on the eyes, we knew that we were going to be in for a dastardly treat.

All the prerequisites for a great Tarantino movie are present: the eclectic soundtrack, the typical Tarantino Ďtrunk shotí Ė albeit not from the trunk of a car, the classic conversations, the humour. QT is in his element orchestrating a project like this Ė writing, directing and overseeing every excruciating detail. Thereís a great scene involving a KKK style posse and their ill-fitting hoods that felt like it could have been lifted straight from the classic Mel Brooks comedy Blazing Saddles. And a few of the action scenes toward the end of the movie were so bloody and ridiculously satisfying that they bordered on some of the most memorable shootouts on the big screen since Way of the Gun.

Itís safe to say that we had a blast watching Django Unchained.

Our only real complaints about Django Unchained would have to be with regard to the slightly excessive running time and the overabundant use of the N-word. With a running time of two hours and forty-five minutes, we felt that Tarantino could have definitely trimmed a little fat. Just when you thought the movie was over, suddenly we were hit with a seemingly out of place scene containing a few cameos. We wonít give away who or what is involved, but youíll know what weíre talking about when you see it. While cameos are a bit of fun, these seemingly pointless scenes, combined with some of the unnecessarily verbose conversations, all could have been tightened somewhat. Maybe Tarantino should have thought about culling some of the hundred-odd uses of the N-word. We have no doubt that scholars have written many a thesis on the word and how its use diminishes the stigma attached to the its meaning, or whatever bullcrap these poindexters get paid to write, but we kind of got hit with it so often that it pretty much lost any and all meaning. It almost became comical. Whether or not that was Tarantinoís intention, in some scenes it felt like ever second word was in reference to someone being a Nigerian. In our opinion that was pure overkill.

Overall, Django Unchained is classic Tarantino. While we wouldnít fall over ourselves to suck the guys rod if we ever met him, this movie has all of the hallmarks of being one of his best. If you hate Tarantino and/or Westerns with a passion, then itís safe to say that Django Unchained wonít be for you. If you love the big-chinned master of homage and a well-dressed cowboy, well then, thatís a completely different story.

4/5

< Message edited by elab49 -- 22/2/2013 9:19:52 AM >

(in reply to twisted_state)
Post #: 148
RE: It was great until... - 28/2/2013 8:02:37 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris wootton

100% agree.
I thought Jamie Foxx was outstanding all the way through, as were Don Johnson, Leo DiCaprio and Waltz. Samuel L Jackson in my opinion was fucking awful. Just a complete piss-take, I'd go so far as he wiped 1 start off the rating for me (from 5 to 4) certainly if you throw his performance in with Tarantinos (Was he suppsoed to be an Australian??) attempt, it just ruined what was so far, Tarantino's best (and I say that as a huge fan of his previous films) film in my opinion.

Anyway, carried on my tradition of seeing every QT film at the cinema with the same 4 friends (a 20+ year arrangement so far ) the cinema was full (it was playing at the local independant - my theatre of choice) and the atmosphere was great. I made the mistake (I think) of laughing at the first "it's a nigger on a horse" comment, whereas I think, well, obviously, it's not really funny. It was just his delivery. Alhtough saying that, after about 4 pints during the film, the guy behind me found the "white cake" scene side-splittingly funny, so at least I wasn't alone.

I thought the comedy element was top notch, certainly as it was interspersed with some of Tarantino's most gruesome and nasty violence. From the mandingo fighting, to the dog attack, the whippings - we all know it went on but it was still a brave move by Tarantino, but one that paid off handsomely for me.
The film slightly dopped a notch once Waltz wasn't on screen, and the more SL Jackson was used, the less interested I got to be honest.

Saying that, despite the fact I love all his films, after first viewing I'd put this on a par with Pulp, Dogs and KBv2. Really enjoyed it.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to chris wootton)
Post #: 149
Almost perfect - 28/2/2013 9:10:12 AM   
jakesfake

http://thoughtburp.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/django-unchained/

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI