Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 Page: <<   < prev  15 16 17 18 [19]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 13/10/2013 6:46:22 PM   
elab49

No. 2

Cabin in the Woods (Godard (but really Whedon, 2012)

Whedon et al have great fun poking fun at the cliches of the horror genre while still making a pretty good horror film. enhanced by a quite brilliant central double act - Whitford and Jenkins.

No. 1

Avengers (Whedon, 2012)

Whedon pulled off the unexpected and both successfully managed to bring together diverse characters, generally treated badly in their own vehicles (bar Thor) and make the watching audience think 'y'know, maybe another Hulk movie wouldn't be that bad'.

Our highest score for the year and appeared on 4 more lists than any other film. And it was on mine. And it's the top film. Take that, 'enemy of film'

< Message edited by elab49 -- 13/10/2013 6:56:53 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 541
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 13/10/2013 6:53:22 PM   
rawlinson

Cabin in the Woods was a fun little horror, but in no way, shape or form the game-changer many called it.

The Avengers has got some great stuff, but it's way too long and the film sags whenever Ruffalo isn't on screen. Thrilled it beat Batman though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 542
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 13/10/2013 6:58:24 PM   
elab49

In here and in real life - 50% more than TDKR. Who'd have predicted that at the beginning of the year.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 543
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 13/10/2013 6:59:15 PM   
impqueen

Whitford and Jenkins were superb they should have been in it more.

Eh Avengers. I canít remember if either of these made my list.

Cheers Elab

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 544
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 13/10/2013 7:03:22 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

It wasn't. But, for me, 'puny god' was one of my highlights of the year - I could watch it endlessly.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 545
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 13/10/2013 7:03:22 PM   
AxlReznor

Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall and The Avengers = my favourite films of the year.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 546
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 13/10/2013 7:06:52 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

It wasn't. But, for me, 'puny god' was one of my highlights of the year - I could watch it endlessly.

Yep, great scene. And the film convinced me that if they ever decide to remake Columbo they won't go far wrong with Ruffalo.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 547
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 13/10/2013 7:07:50 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Yep, great scene. And the film convinced me that if they ever decide to remake Columbo they won't go far wrong with Ruffalo.

I would happily sign up to that casting. He's got the shabby humour/intelligence down pat. And I think that's part of why Banner worked.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 548
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 14/10/2013 12:37:27 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Killer Joe is fantastic. Should be higher.
The Master is great
Silver Linings is also great
Moonrise Kingdom is amazing. My fave from last year at the moment.
DKR is also great, Hardy and Hathaway are highlights for sure.
Skyfall is fantastic.
Argo is very very good.
Cabin is excellent
The Avengers is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the work elab, and that's a solid collection of films there

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 549
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 14/10/2013 1:53:49 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Raid - Not that good
The Dark Knight Rises - Liked it a lot, but major parts of the film didn't work
Skyfall - Great
Argo - At its bets when Goodman, Cranston or Arkin are on screen, but they ain't on screen enough.
Cabin - Lots of fun, but how it changed horror films I have no idea.
Avengers - Love it

Thanks for this, elab!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 550
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 14/10/2013 4:16:25 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

Always an annoying part of the list - I only gave points to 3 of the top 10.

Although quite a few were in a similar position. Garv/Impqueen - only 2 films. And Ultimo a grand total of 1!

I would have given The Master and Silver Linings high placings but I didn't get to see them in time unfortunately.

Looper - excellent

Berberian Sound Studio - fantastic performance from Toby Jones, amazing sound design and cinematography and the more surreal and weird it became the more I loved it. One of the best of the year.

Martha Marcy May Marlene - brilliant

Beasts of the Southern Wild - I thought this was very good but it didn't strike a chord with me as much as others.

21 Jump Street - one of the better mainstream comedies in recent years.

The Muppets - excellent although I'm not too keen on Gervais being in the sequel.

Shame - thought it was great when I first watched it but I'm struggling to remember much about it.

Holy Motors - great stuff. Lavant is amazing.

The Hobbit - very impressed when I saw it at the cinema but subsequent rewatches have made me realize it's just not up to the quality of LOTR. Still good tho'.

Killer Joe - excellent although not as good as Bug.

The Raid - great but Dredd is better.

The Master - a masterpiece fo' sho'. I'll need to watch this back to back with There Will Be Blood to decide which is better.

Silver Linings - genuinely surprised at how much I liked this. Brilliant script, De Niro back on form, a fantastic turn from Lawrence and OMG BRADLEY COOPER CAN ACT!!!

Moonrise Kingdom - I think at this stage I'll never love a Wes Anderson film. They always leave me cold.

The Dark Knight Rises - so disappointing. I fear Nolan is going down the same route as James Cameron and Peter Jackson where each new film has to be bigger, more expensive, have a longer running time than the last one and be crammed with more and more unnecessary exposition, sub plots etc etc. It's a shame because Nolan is an excellent filmmaker, he just seems to be caught in the trap of more is better.

Skyfall - lost a few marks for me on a rewatch but still a good Bond film. I'm not a big fan of Bond in general tho'.

Argo - it was good but I think I expected a bit too much with all the hype surrounding it.

Cabin in the Woods - lots of fun.

The Avengers - I like it a lot. Not number one of the year like it (that should have been Hertzfeldt) but by far the best Marvel film yet.

Good work elab.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 551
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 14/10/2013 6:14:03 PM   
Rebel scum

Prometheus - Spectacular, but disappointing
Pirates! - A few great jokes, but nowhere near Aardman's previous heights
Brave - The short before it >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brave
Looper - Really amazing
The Muppets - I loved it, even if Walter can grate
Shame - Good, except for the butchering of New York, New York
The Hobbit - I loved it, but it might have coasted a bit on my LOTR obsession. Part 2 looks aces though
The Raid - 90 minutes of dudes punching dudes, and even with amazing choreography it gets tiring long before the film ends
Silver Linings Playbook - Good
TDKR - Really enjoyed, but it's no TDK
Skyfall - Best Bond ever
Argo - The Town is better, but it's still a good film
Cabin in the Woods - I don't care if it isn't the "game-changer" it was touted as, it was the most fun I've had at a cinema since Return of the King
The Avengers - Much better than any standalone Marvel film

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 552
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 15/10/2013 12:20:30 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

Oh Iíd forgotten about that film. Iím in the minority though because I still think Begins is the better film of the trilogy.

I thought it was ok, but not great, but then I rewatched it last year before the release of DKR and I really struggled through it. I hope Nolan goes back to Memento style films soon, shorter, tighter, and without Caine or Cotillard.

Problem with that argument for me is that he did do a Memento style film just merged it into a blockbuster. You do have to have some elements of a Batman film in there

Agree with Queen than Begins was the best of the trilogy and most overlooked also.

Looper - Very exciting
MMM - Gripping
BOTSW - Avenrge
The Muppets - The feel good comedy of the year, and I don't agree that the human's were weak points
Shame - Chilling, outstanding performances, great visuals and script, should be much higher!
The Descendants - Very moving
Killer Joe - Three thirds of a good film
The Master - Its up there as one of PTA's best and should be at least top three in this list
Silver Linings Playbook - Funny, dark and beautifully performed
Moonrise Kingdom - Very charming
TDKR - The weakest of the trilogy but still plenty to enjoy
Argo - Liked it
Cabin in the Woods - Unique twist on a old idea, great creature effects too
Avengers - Wonderful

I like most of the top ten, but feel that maybe certain choices were overrated, still overall a good list and I like the extra Whedon on top

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 553
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 15/10/2013 12:51:45 AM   
MonsterCat

The Avengers is good film fo' sho'.

Hulk punching out Thor; Tom Hiddleston saying "mewling quim"; Mark Ruffalo; the puny god line; Scarlett Johansson being all sexy and stuff. There's very little to dislike in that film

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 554
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 15/10/2013 1:13:35 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Problem with that argument for me is that he did do a Memento style film just merged it into a blockbuster. You do have to have some elements of a Batman film in there

Are being too long, having messy screenplays and wasting Michael Caine and Marion Cotillard standard elements of a Batman film then?

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 555
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 15/10/2013 1:14:54 PM   
matty_b

quote:

So....all of it would be good, then?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 556
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 15/10/2013 1:52:30 PM   
rawlinson

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 557
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 15/10/2013 8:49:52 PM   
paul_ie86

I actually cheered when SLP and Argo turned up before number 1. Sorry.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 558
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 15/10/2013 8:59:05 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

I actually cheered when SLP and Argo turned up before number 1. Sorry.

Imagine my reaction doing the counting

quote:

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 559
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 17/10/2013 5:13:05 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

So....all of it would be good, then?

Oh fine you got me didn't think you'd notice

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 560
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 17/10/2013 5:23:38 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

Are being too long, having messy screenplays and wasting Michael Caine and Marion Cotillard standard elements of a Batman film then?

Too long? Agree up to a point, but it was only the final part where that really became a problem for me.

In the case of the second part it was partly the messy screenplay which made it such an interesting film as it was just like this bag of social ideas wrapped in a comic book film. The screenplay for Begins was very tight for me.

Don't agree they are wasted they are both parts of ensemble casts and that is how it works. Caine has worked his whole career to have the honour of playing a role such as Alfred in Batman and Cotillard is part of a fatastic twist in the tail and plays her part very well.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 561
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 17/10/2013 5:33:28 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Caine has worked his whole career to have the honour of playing a role such as Alfred in Batman

Really? You think Caine spent over 40 years in the business, won two Oscars, worked with some of the biggest names in the industry, yet it was all because one day he hoped he'd get to play Batman's butler? Let's be serious here, Alfred isn't an honour, it's a paycheque.

Post #: 562
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 17/10/2013 5:50:51 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Don't agree they are wasted they are both parts of ensemble casts and that is how it works. Caine has worked his whole career to have the honour of playing a role such as Alfred in Batman and Cotillard is part of a fatastic twist in the tail and plays her part very well.

Marion Cotillard is a really fine actress and I would like it if she sat on my face and told me she loves me, but she was wasted in The Dark Knight. With Catwoman possibly being a slight exception to the rule, writing for women has always been a stumbling block for Nolan.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 563
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 17/10/2013 6:09:44 PM   
rawlinson

Tbh, I think he has a problem creating believable characters in general. I'd like to see him pull back again to a smaller cast, or work with a screenplay he hasn't written. There was something special about Memento that I think has been lost in the films since.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 564
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 17/10/2013 6:56:01 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Some rambling thoughts...

Looper - I prefer Johnson's work in Breaking Bad, but I enjoyed its twisty-turny nature & its strength in sustaining some of its really dark themes. One of the most underrated mainstream films of last year.

Berberian Sound Studio - Terrific. A great homage to both Giallo & sound design. Along with Ben Wheatley & Steve McQueen, Peter Strickland makes up the trio of my favourite newish Brit directors.

Martha Marcy May Marlene - Some of the best usage of flashback in recent years & Elizabeth Olsen is outstanding.

Beasts of the Southern Wild - It owes a debt to Malick, but it's extremely heartfelt & Wallis is amazing.

21 Jump Street - Tatum funnier than Hill? Who would have thought!

The Muppets - Too sentimental? Did none of you see the previous films or the TV show? McKenzie's songs are magic.

Shame - Brilliant portrayal of addiction centered around some extraordinary Fassbender magnetism.

Holy Motors - Brilliantly bonkers. Lavant (along with Mikkelsen in the Hunt) delivered the best performance in any film released in a UK cinema last year.

The Hobbit - Smegol saves the day!

The Descendants - Really poignant portrayal of a dysfunctional family healed by bereavement. Really looking forward to Nebraska.

Killer Joe - I prefer Friedken's other Letts adaptation, but it's very impressive. McConaughey atones for over a decade of dirge in a mere ninety minutes.

The Raid - Better than Dredd.

The Master - A fascinating and subversive look into the bewilderment of a post-second world war America, defined by two clearly deranged characters which are performed majestically by Phoenix & Hoffman. Both were my preferred winners for the recent oscars.

Silver Linings Playbook - Perfectly decent but very overrated. The mental illness angle is handled well, but O'Russell's over-exuberant direction continues to alienate me. For me, it still conforms to the romantic drama cliche and like all his other works, the ensemble come across like a collection of stars performing, rather than a collection of actors inhabiting characters who feel real.

Moonrise Kingdom - Anderson's best since Tenenbaums, but my favourite remains Rushmore. The design for me is masterful, but overbearing.

TDKR - Nolan continues to bypass my objective thought-process and taps into my unadulterated fanboy joy. It's the weakest of the trilogy, but I love the vision, I adore the scale & I completely relished the conviction. You don't go see it 3 times at the cinema & once on proper IMAX otherwise.

Skyfall - It's clearly the best Bond in my lifetime. It's also the best looking Bond film ever. Deakins was robbed of oscar glory (again).

Argo - Terrific mainstream thriller which achieves a tremendous balance of laughs and gasps. No one would have predicted this occurring 10 years ago.

The Cabin in the Woods - Deliciously chaotic and hugely entertaining. For me however, it needed to be scary to deserve such a high placing on this list - and it wasn't.

The Avengers - Not my favourite superhero film of 2012, but I had so much fun with it. Puny god indeed.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 17/10/2013 6:58:53 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 565
RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 - 17/10/2013 7:11:04 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Oh, and thank you elab for once again compiling the yearly list.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 566
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 17 18 [19]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Annual Poll - Forums Top 10 films of 2012 Page: <<   < prev  15 16 17 18 [19]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI