Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Directors that owned decades

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Directors that owned decades Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Directors that owned decades - 17/10/2013 8:48:49 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: britesparc

I think this is an interesting topic.

I do feel that a director to "own" a decade, they have to have an influence outside of the films they themselves made. So Coppola owns the 70s because of the way he changed the system and became the first "movie brat"; Spielberg owns the 80s because he perfected the blockbuster, broke so many records, and shepherded new talent such as Zemeckis; and Tarantino owns the 90s because every third film was a sweary crime indie in which someone discusses pop culture.

You've hit it precisely there, britesparc. In terms of this decade I think it's actually too early to call the winner - there really isn't a particularly obvious contender right now.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 31
RE: Directors that owned decades - 17/10/2013 9:30:34 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

Fair enough, man. Different strokes. And I definitely prefer Spielberg as a director (same with Fincher too). But you do have to admit that QT had a huge impact on the 90s culture and made three very highly acclaimed films in that decade, not to mention writing the screenplays for a few other well-regarded flicks.

I don't like Guy Ritchie as a director, and for me Layer Cake beats all of his films combined, but I'm not going to deny that he pretty much owns the modern British gangster film.

I'm putting in another vote for Tarentino and the 90's.  He's like Oasis or The Spice Girls.  Regardless of what opinion you have of those two acts (and I'm not a fan of either) you have to admit that a picture of any of them instantly takes you right back to the 90's.  It isn't about how many films the directors we've mentioned made or what they'd done previously, IMO their previous (and, usually, better) work links them to a previous decade.  Spielberg owns the 80's but his 90's stuff was just more of the same, despite how great it might have been in places.  Likewise Scorcese and the 70's.

The defining cinematic voice of a decade should be somebody completely fresh and new, who came out of nowhere and took the world on and genuinely CHANGED movies.  Tarantino did that... just look at how indie cinema changed, went overground and those concepts filtered into mainstream cinema, all for the better, IMO.  And please, don't bring Ritchie into this... I don't have enough sarcasm in my mind and, up until the Holmes blockbusters, he appealed to a very small demographic....

Anyway, my opinion... feel free to shoot me down.... 

Say what now?

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 32
RE: Directors that owned decades - 17/10/2013 10:16:29 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

I do feel that a director to "own" a decade, they have to have an influence outside of the films they themselves made. So Coppola owns the 70s because of the way he changed the system and became the first "movie brat"; Spielberg owns the 80s because he perfected the blockbuster, broke so many records, and shepherded new talent such as Zemeckis; and Tarantino owns the 90s because every third film was a sweary crime indie in which someone discusses pop culture.

You've hit it precisely there, britesparc. In terms of this decade I think it's actually too early to call the winner - there really isn't a particularly obvious contender right now.

Certainly it is. There are still 7 years to go - anything could happen. As for current front-runners, what about Ben Affleck?

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 33
RE: Directors that owned decades - 18/10/2013 8:22:22 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

Fair enough, man. Different strokes. And I definitely prefer Spielberg as a director (same with Fincher too). But you do have to admit that QT had a huge impact on the 90s culture and made three very highly acclaimed films in that decade, not to mention writing the screenplays for a few other well-regarded flicks.

I don't like Guy Ritchie as a director, and for me Layer Cake beats all of his films combined, but I'm not going to deny that he pretty much owns the modern British gangster film.

I will admit that and I did like From Dusk Till Dawn. The only modern brit gangster film I liked was Layer cake but I am not a big fan of those types of films. As for Guy Ritchie I do enjoy the Sherlock Holmes series.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 34
RE: Directors that owned decades - 18/10/2013 10:05:58 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

I'm putting in another vote for Tarentino and the 90's.  He's like Oasis or The Spice Girls.  Regardless of what opinion you have of those two acts (and I'm not a fan of either) you have to admit that a picture of any of them instantly takes you right back to the 90's.  It isn't about how many films the directors we've mentioned made or what they'd done previously, IMO their previous (and, usually, better) work links them to a previous decade.  Spielberg owns the 80's but his 90's stuff was just more of the same, despite how great it might have been in places.  Likewise Scorcese and the 70's.

The defining cinematic voice of a decade should be somebody completely fresh and new, who came out of nowhere and took the world on and genuinely CHANGED movies.  Tarantino did that... just look at how indie cinema changed, went overground and those concepts filtered into mainstream cinema, all for the better, IMO.  And please, don't bring Ritchie into this... I don't have enough sarcasm in my mind and, up until the Holmes blockbusters, he appealed to a very small demographic....

Anyway, my opinion... feel free to shoot me down.... 

I was with you up until the bolded part. Both Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan were huge departures for Spielberg at the time. Especially Schindler's List, as he was known as the ultimate director of popcorn movies at the time, and no one expected him to make something like that.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 35
RE: Directors that owned decades - 18/10/2013 10:21:24 AM   
UTB

For me, Tarantino's films were a pop culture thing like a band or album or something, which is why for me it feels like they defined an era better than say, Spielberg's films.

HOWEVER.

Spielberg's movies (JP &SL specifically) are timeless, which means defining them as part of a decade seems off.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 36
RE: Directors that owned decades - 18/10/2013 2:56:39 PM   
horribleives

This thread's been quite enlightening - I hadn't realised the likes of Spielberg and Scorsese were Joy Division fans.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 37
RE: Directors that owned decades - 18/10/2013 3:55:42 PM   
sharkboy

I think I'd have to consider Cameron for the 90s as well as the 80s. Sure, he wasn't that prolific, but he opened the decade with T2, a movie that went on to define SFX (and excess!) for most of the decade, shook up the spy genre with True Lies in the middle, and closed with Titanic, a movie which, regardless what you thought of it, redefined epic for this generation and (lest we forget) scooped 11 Oscars in the process.

Also, what about Wes Anderson for the noughties? He may not be to everyone's taste, but look at his output in the last decade - The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic, The Darjeeling Ltd and The Fantastic Mr Fox.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 38
RE: Directors that owned decades - 18/10/2013 8:50:53 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

For me, Tarantino's films were a pop culture thing like a band or album or something, which is why for me it feels like they defined an era better than say, Spielberg's films.

HOWEVER.

Spielberg's movies (JP &SL specifically) are timeless, which means defining them as part of a decade seems off.

Exactly, UTB.  I'll take SL or JP  above any of Mr Tarentino's films but the key word you mentioned is TIMELESS.

And we're talking about films that are truly linked to a particular decade...

Say what now?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 39
RE: Directors that owned decades - 4/11/2013 2:51:19 PM   
grucl

quote:

So by this definition the 2000s should go to the Wachowski Brothers for the influence The Matrix had on all the action films of the decade (slow-motion, "bullet time", actors on wires,...)

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 40
RE: Directors that owned decades - 4/11/2013 3:19:57 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

So by this definition the 2000s should go to the Wachowski Brothers for the influence The Matrix had on all the action films of the decade (slow-motion, "bullet time", actors on wires,...)

I wouldn't say that as whilst they had one influential film in 1999 the other two films which could be deemed successful were more of the same and not groundbreaking in the same manner and everything they have done since has not had much impact (although I realise you are using them as an example of people who did not in fact own a decade). Spielberg in the 80's was working on another level and it was his own films which succeeded rather than those he influenced. In the same respect I would not say owned for Tarantino rather influenced which is a separate thing.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 41
RE: Directors that owned decades - 4/11/2013 3:29:48 PM   
horribleives

I'd discount the Wachowskis simply because virtually every film they've made is rubbish.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 42
RE: Directors that owned decades - 11/12/2013 3:17:43 PM   
Moorish

Spielberg was the 80's
Tarantino was the 90's

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 43
RE: Directors that owned decades - 11/12/2013 11:59:07 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Oliver Stone owned the 1990s. Produced a level of work at a pace unmatched by nearly anyone else.

Post #: 44
RE: Directors that owned decades - 12/12/2013 12:02:32 AM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I'd discount the Wachowskis simply because virtually every film they've made is rubbish.

Just crazy.

The Matrix is a true classic, as impressive a piece of filmmaking as has been released in 20 years.

The sequels are wildly ambitious and at least an admirable, interesting failure.

Speed Racer is a wonderful film, a cult classic with millions of fans around the world.

Cloud Atlas is another very interesting project that I found a hundred times better than most empty headed Marvel blockbusters I've seen.

Post #: 45
RE: Directors that owned decades - 12/12/2013 1:13:12 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

And Bound is an expertly made thriller/ film noir.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 46
RE: Directors that owned decades - 12/12/2013 7:31:52 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

And Bound is an expertly made thriller/ film noir.

Yes, I agree. The rest of their output though, (apart from Cloud Atlas which I haven't seen) is terrible.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 47
RE: Directors that owned decades - 12/12/2013 7:52:15 PM   
Cool Breeze

Christopher Nolan has easily owned the last ten years.He has successfully alternated between blockbuster superhero movies ( The Dark Knight trilogy ) and big budget high concept fare like The Prestige and Inception.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 48
RE: Directors that owned decades - 12/12/2013 9:53:09 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Christopher Nolan has easily owned the last ten years.He has successfully alternated between blockbuster superhero movies ( The Dark Knight trilogy ) and big budget high concept fare like The Prestige and Inception.

Pretty reasonable opinion. Prestige is excellent, and Nolan's accomplishments in the blockbuster field are admirable.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 49
RE: Directors that owned decades - 12/12/2013 10:00:06 PM   
Mister Coe

I'll go along with Nolan being the natural successor to Spielberg and Tarantino...

Say what now?

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 50
RE: Directors that owned decades - 12/12/2013 11:22:58 PM   
rich

I could go along with Nolan for the 00s. Speilberg is definitely the 80s though, directing and producing.

90s is a trickier decision though. There'd have to be someone with an output of ... well let's say at least 4-5 films that are above average quality. I could only go with Tarantino if we are counting the likes of True Romance and Natural Born Killers but I'm undecided.

< Message edited by rich -- 12/12/2013 11:43:30 PM >

Meanwhile...

Post #: 51
RE: Directors that owned decades - 15/5/2014 3:11:55 PM   
steff4

The eighties as regards american cinema and mass popularity is owned by Spielberg. Other directors and decades, I would definitely have to think more on it.

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Directors that owned decades Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI