Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Words fail me...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Words fail me... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Words fail me... - 6/5/2013 11:23:54 AM   
DancingClown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

So this is the world's first working gun with parts assembled from a 3D printer. I suppose this kind of technological devilry was inevitable, though it's still very primitive at this stage. It can't print bullets or other metal parts, of course. But what astonishes me is this guy's casual attitude about unleashing something like this on the world because it's about "liberty". So bloody irresponsible.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 181
RE: Words fail me... - 6/5/2013 11:53:53 AM   
sanchia

He apparently works for a pressure group who is all about trying to make guns easier for people to obtain "Defence Distributed" which has the nutjob ideal that making guns accessible to everyone makes the world safer. I suppose when a plastic gun is used in terrorist activity, which is certain to happen when it is fully possible to make a completely plastic gun, that is a safer world. The problem is that they are using the news reports to spread their crazy ideology across the world and make people aware of it and are using the BBC report on their own website as if it is some sort of justification. They are claiming they are a charity and hence will be tax exempt in the US which is another crazy thing. I see the company which leased them the 3D printer were not impressed and cancelled the lease as soon as they found out what they were up to with it.

Unsurprisingly the NRA support this intiative.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 182
RE: Words fail me... - 6/5/2013 1:16:28 PM   
Dpp1978

I've known about this group, and their ringleader, for a while. Gun control was one of my areas of research (I'm all for tight regulation on all firearms for the record) and I try to keep up with it. They first gained limited notoriety for their 3D printed AR recievers and high capacity magazines. As, in the US, the only integral part of a gun that is really regulated is the receiver (the bit that feeds the bullets into the breech), the political fallout from the most recent batch of spree killings put AR receivers (and high capacity mags) under the microscope and interest in his little project picked up.

While his AR products are far from robust and fail after only a few rounds have been fired (although there is the perfectly valid argument that even one is too many), they are certainly worrying: especially as printing materials improve. However the ability to print a receiver is only of use to those in jurisdictions where the other parts are readily available: like the US. You'd still need a lot of parts to make one of his receivers work which render them impractical for those of us living in countries where all gun parts are more tightly controlled.

This new all plastic gun is more problematic; not because it is more easily accessible to would be miscreants than a traditional gun, but because it is made almost entirely out of plastic. Only the firing pin is metal. This would obviously present certain security risks. But this is more about the mode of manufacture rather than the finished product. Bespoke firearms designed to be smuggled into places where firearms are not supposed to be have been made for as long as firearms have been made. It is not a new phenomena. In its most basic form a gun is ridiculously simple. I'm sure this printed gun is prehistoric compared to some of the stuff made from sturdier composite materials out there. What this one has is more self promotion. I dread to think what enterprising nut-jobs the world over have sitting in their home-brew arsenals. There is real wisdom in the notion that the loonies who shout about their intentions are not the ones to really worry about: you can see them coming. It is the quiet ones brooding away in isolation who go unnoticed that you have to really worry about. But that train of thought leads to sleepless nights and paranoia and a desire to wrap everything up in cotton wool. Something equally insidious albeit at the other end of the spectrum.

I suppose a disenchanted kid with access to high end prototyping equipment could print one of these out with relatively little understanding. But I can't see that as a real risk for the foreseeable future. At this point the cost of entry and the learning curve are too steep. I guess universities and engineering firms might have to be a little more vigilant about after hours personal projects but that has always been the case. This is nothing which couldn't be made on a CNC mill. It is nothing that a skilled machinist couldn't make using a manual mill and lathe. They'd be less likely to explode and take your fingers off too as they'd be using better materials and tested production techniques.

Or if you really want a gun you could just buy one. Even in our tightly regulated, gun averse society they are relatively easy to get hold of if you aren't too concerned about little things like legalities. It'd actually be easier for a would be criminal to get a real gun illegally in England than it would be for you or me to get a realistic airsoft gun lawfully. Gun controls only affect those who abide by the law and the vast majority of gun crime, at least in the UK, is carried out with illegal firearms.

The most dangerous thing that comes out of this is not the end product but the politics. It is just about self promotion for the man and his cause and getting worked up about it is playing to his advantage.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 183
RE: Words fail me... - 28/5/2013 4:54:42 PM   
Hobbitonlass

So, the minute a handful of lawmakers try to bring in some sort of gun control legislation, the gun rights supporters try to oust them

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/gun-control-supporters-fa_0_n_3345770.html

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 184
RE: Words fail me... - 3/6/2013 4:34:47 PM   
Shifty Bench

There were 25 shootings in New York City over the weekend-click

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 3/6/2013 4:36:19 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 185
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Words fail me... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI