Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: US Primary School Shooting.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: US Primary School Shooting. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 17/12/2012 8:51:45 PM   
Ghidorah

This may sound silly but you need to fire a gun to understand how dangerous they really are. Once you get the hang of it which doesn't take long you are capable of easily hitting the target. Computer games such as Call Of Duty doesn't capture how effective guns really are. If I could hit a small puck with a medium range shotgun with no problems, a psycho going to have a field day when it comes to people.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 91
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 17/12/2012 9:56:05 PM   
Woger

The Democrat politician who made the ad below is calling for some action which is reassuring, but how small of a dick do you need to have to make an ad like that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xIJORBRpOPM

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 92
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 11:39:10 AM   
darthbane

It's been reported in the paper this morning that the killer used to "play violent video games, such as call of duty"

I've played COD. Maybe I should hand myself in now before anything happens.

Lazy, pointless, sensationalism. Fuckin nothing-stories, on the front page! Pisses me off!

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 93
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 12:04:40 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

It's been reported in the paper this morning that the killer used to "play violent video games, such as call of duty"

Lazy, pointless, sensationalism. Fuckin nothing-stories, on the front page! Pisses me off!

This is interesting - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/17/ten-country-comparison-suggests-theres-little-or-no-link-between-video-games-and-gun-murders/

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 94
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 12:44:50 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

*sigh*

To quote a member of the boards: "It was really only a matter of time".

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 95
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 12:46:08 PM   
Sinatra

I feel sick just thinking about this... it makes you appreciate the laws that we have in this country and it makes you want to tell your children that you love them.

The whole story is unimaginable.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 96
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 1:22:42 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Mrs Lanza, a gun enthusiast who owned at least five weapons and was the first victim of his rampage, introduced Adam and his older brother Ryan to firearms at a young age. Indeed, she took her younger son to a local firing range just days before the rampage, CNN reported.

"She told me she had wanted to introduce them to the guns to teach, especially Adam, a sense of responsibility," a friend told NBC television.

"Guns require a lot of respect and she really tried to instill that.. And he took to it. He loved being careful with them. He made it a source of pride."

LINK

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 97
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 1:50:43 PM   
Chief

Ignoring the gun debate, what makes people do things like this? What's the reasoning behind it?

Has that other cunt that done the cinema shootings said anything about why he done it? There doesn't seem to be any message, political, religious or whatever. Is it just for the infamy?

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 98
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 2:03:52 PM   
jonson

I think it's a combination of loads of things, whether that be upbringing, lack of help (with mental issues) economical problems and dare I say it, violent video games and films (and I'm a fan of violent video games and films, but only a fool would say it isn't a reason, even if it's only slight)
I think throw all this together, along with the wrong unhinged person, and you have a psycho. Easy access to guns makes this more of a problem in the US than it does here, but it can't be solely to blame, there must be some evil streak in there first.
To be fair, I think everyone can remember "the loner" at school, the one "most likely to go ape and slaughter people" but thankfully the vast majority find solace in something else.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 99
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 2:08:13 PM   
steffols

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

This is a very personal and emotional insight into living with a child who has mental problems. It brings home that gun control isn't the only problem surrounding mass shootings like this one. That twat Nick Ferrari on This Morning earlier said that people bringing up mental illness issues was people trying to ignore the real problem. When both are the real problem. I don't know much about the US healthcare system but I know enough that people with serious health problems are ending up basically homeless because they can't afford medication and rehabilitation. So if people who seriously ill medically are struggling to get the help they need, what help are the seriously ill mentally getting? It's not a nice picture. It makes America look very backward in their treatment of their own population. We in Britain are slowly but surely getting rid of mental health discrimination, but if what the author of the piece above is saying is true and that the only hope for mentally ill people is prison in the States, it makes you think how far we have really come.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 100
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 3:03:25 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

This is a very personal and emotional insight into living with a child who has mental problems. It brings home that gun control isn't the only problem surrounding mass shootings like this one. That twat Nick Ferrari on This Morning earlier said that people bringing up mental illness issues was people trying to ignore the real problem. When both are the real problem. I don't know much about the US healthcare system but I know enough that people with serious health problems are ending up basically homeless because they can't afford medication and rehabilitation. So if people who seriously ill medically are struggling to get the help they need, what help are the seriously ill mentally getting? It's not a nice picture. It makes America look very backward in their treatment of their own population. We in Britain are slowly but surely getting rid of mental health discrimination, but if what the author of the piece above is saying is true and that the only hope for mentally ill people is prison in the States, it makes you think how far we have really come.

But did this latest maniac suffer from a mental illness?

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 101
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 3:24:00 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure anyone knows the facts yet, but enough rumours have been put out there that the topic of mental health has come up and is being discussed quite widely. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 102
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 3:38:44 PM   
Sinatra

Fuck me, what a fucked up country that is when it come to guns... madness if a mentally ill kid had open access to those types of weapons.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 103
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 4:15:54 PM   
Titanm21

A friend of mine argued that Britain is no safer than America because we had Dunblane and the Taxi Cumbria Shooting.

They couldn’t quite grasp that a) Dunblane (the only school shooting we’ve had that I know of) resulted the immediate ban of Pistols which would have had a direct result on the Taxi Shootings in Cumbria (as an example). By that I mean that the nut job had a legal owned Shotgun, imagine if the pistol ban wasn’t there. He’d still kill people but with a pistol he would have killed double the victims in half the time. (Carrying more rounds and more mobile than a shotgun).

My point was that we couldn’t stop that nutter from killing people but because of a change in the law the weapon he had access to limited the damage he could do, in turn the Dunblane shooter was a gun fan but couldn’t own an automatic weapon because that was banned in the 80’s after the Yorkshire Village shooting with that guy and the AK47. Imagine if he had walked into that Primary school with an fully auto weapon?!

I guess what I’m trying to say is that if America won’t fully ban guns then restricting the access to what/how much they can own could reduce the damage done in the future. And in correlation with improving the mental health care in the states and maybe free help groups like the Samaritans here they could have a significant reduction of people who feel like going on killing sprees.

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 104
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 4:31:33 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanm21

A friend of mine argued that Britain is no safer than America because we had Dunblane and the Taxi Cumbria Shooting.

They couldn’t quite grasp that a) Dunblane (the only school shooting we’ve had that I know of) resulted the immediate ban of Pistols which would have had a direct result on the Taxi Shootings in Cumbria (as an example). By that I mean that the nut job had a legal owned Shotgun, imagine if the pistol ban wasn’t there. He’d still kill people but with a pistol he would have killed double the victims in half the time. (Carrying more rounds and more mobile than a shotgun).

My point was that we couldn’t stop that nutter from killing people but because of a change in the law the weapon he had access to limited the damage he could do, in turn the Dunblane shooter was a gun fan but couldn’t own an automatic weapon because that was banned in the 80’s after the Yorkshire Village shooting with that guy and the AK47. Imagine if he had walked into that Primary school with an fully auto weapon?!

I guess what I’m trying to say is that if America won’t fully ban guns then restricting the access to what/how much they can own could reduce the damage done in the future. And in correlation with improving the mental health care in the states and maybe free help groups like the Samaritans here they could have a significant reduction of people who feel like going on killing sprees.

Never will be an option put forward and no one is even suggesting it. As you said certain guns do more damamge than others and are easier concealed. Wepans that are made for war zones shouldn't be anywhere near neighbourhoods.

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 105
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 5:07:54 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

There are some mistruths in your post.

Thomas Hamilton intended to use a rifle for the Dunblane massacre. It might of been something else but he intended to walk in and use serious fire power. His weapon mulfunction and he resorted to his back up weapons, the pistols.

Pistols aren't banned in the UK but are heavily restricted and you will need a valid reason to own one.

In general pistols are less powerful than shotguns. Derrick Bird may of shot more people with a pistol but there would be greater amount of survivors.

Overall our governments in the recent decades had made the right moves to restrict the access to firearms. These measures has prevented protential repeats of Hungerford and limit criminals access to arms to a small amount.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 106
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 5:28:17 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

quote:

Thomas Hamilton intended to use a rifle for the Dunblane massacre. It might of been something else but he intended to walk in and use serious fire power. His weapon mulfunction and he resorted to his back up weapons, the pistols.

Pistols aren't banned in the UK but are heavily restricted and you will need a valid reason to own one.

In general pistols are less powerful than shotguns. Derrick Bird may of shot more people with a pistol but there would be greater amount of survivors.

Overall our governments in the recent decades had made the right moves to restrict the access to firearms. These measures has prevented protential repeats of Hungerford and limit criminals access to arms to a small amount.

I think the thing with pistols is largely to do with how easily concealed they are isn't it?

Generally though in terms of gun crime it's pretty hard to argue that America is safer/no less dangerous than Britain. I know we've had our share of shootings - notably the two Titanm21 mentions - but put in the context that incidents like our once-in-a-lifetime (maybe exagerating a wee bit) notorious school shooting like Dunblane has probably happened every couple of years in the States for a while now.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 107
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 5:31:24 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

But shotguns are more dangerous at close range (also depends on ammo used) as the further the pellets travel the wider they spread out in a circle and they slow down much quicker thus reducing potential injury. Shotguns are usually bigger and more cumbersome so they are harder to conceal, the maximum number of cartridges they can usually shoot is five and they also take a long time to reload.

- - -

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 108
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 6:30:25 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Fuck me, what a fucked up country that is when it come to guns... madness if a mentally ill kid had open access to those types of weapons.

I heard today that 40% of the guns which are purchased in the US do not required a background check. A frightening statistic.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 109
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 6:34:18 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

They couldn’t quite grasp that a) Dunblane (the only school shooting we’ve had that I know of) resulted the immediate ban of Pistols which would have had a direct result on the Taxi Shootings in Cumbria (as an example).

Yeah, I remember arguing with some sneering toss-pot on a website regarding the Cumbria shootings (2010, yeah?) Underneath the article his comment was like "hey, UK, how's that gun-ban working for you, ha-ha!" At first I had to point out that guns were not completely "banned" in our country, and then I struggled to make him see that the gun-law was actually working reasonably well because incidents like the one being reported were thankfully very rare in the UK. More guns, more shootings; less guns, less shootings. But he didn't understand.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 110
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 6:43:36 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

I heard today that 40% of the guns which are purchased in the US do not required a background check. A frightening statistic.

That is a frightening statistic and,unfortunately, we've had our fair share of shocking stats over these past few days.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 111
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 7:46:51 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I think it's a combination of loads of things, whether that be upbringing, lack of help (with mental issues) economical problems and dare I say it, violent video games and films (and I'm a fan of violent video games and films, but only a fool would say it isn't a reason, even if it's only slight)
I think throw all this together, along with the wrong unhinged person, and you have a psycho. Easy access to guns makes this more of a problem in the US than it does here, but it can't be solely to blame, there must be some evil streak in there first.
To be fair, I think everyone can remember "the loner" at school, the one "most likely to go ape and slaughter people" but thankfully the vast majority find solace in something else.

One word: Canada.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 112
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 9:18:01 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

In the middle of the reports in today's papers there sits (if they're true), 2 of the crazies sentences I've ever read

Virginia and New Mexico now let people take guns into bars, while Texas and Utah give citizens the right to carry concealed weapons in schools.
In Michigan on Friday a law was passed allowing concealed weapons in schools, churches and hospitals.

Now I don't believe everything I read in the papers, but if that true.....

The bars thing is true - I remember discussing it with some online American chums fairly recently. Mostly in utter horror from my side...

Could it be that America's are trying to come up with the most ridiculous place that you're entitled to carry a gun?

Schools - Mainly filled with children
Church - Mainly promoting good will and peace
Hospitals - Mainly concerned with health and well being
Bars - Mainly associated with alcohol consumption

Fuck it, guns in Disney World!!!
Madness

I'm a huge Disneyworld freak and can often be found on Disney forums getting my fix, I vividly remember reading a thread on a US based Disney forum (specifically set up about Disneyworld) and the amount of posters who claimed they would be carrying their concealed weapon during their holiday in Disneyworld!!!!! was unfreakingbelievable. It was their right and no one would stop them. Scarily, they were totally serious.

Then they would be prepared to 'deal' with any issues that arose in the parks.....cause obviously we would thank them after they 'took down' that freak who started shooting on Its A Small World, they would be saving lives!!! Or you know, dealing with shoplifters in Tinkerbell's Treasures, or line jumpers on Splash Mountain or that idiot that took the last cinnamon bun from under your nose at Main St Bakery.

And as for Westboro Baptist Church - when the Ku Klux Klan counter-protest against you, you know your in the wrong. http://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/super-page/westboro-baptist-church-vs-the-kkk-its-a-showdown/

For once, it seems possible there be hope in some significant changes in gun control in the US, there have been about 4 prominent Senators who have proposed changes - and they are generally very pro guns.

< Message edited by MrsFinkelstein -- 18/12/2012 9:19:07 PM >

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 113
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 18/12/2012 10:37:43 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

In its first statement since Friday, the National Rifle Association said it was "heartbroken" by the attack.

The gun lobby group said it was "made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters - and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

"The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again," the statement said, announcing a "major news conference" on 21 December.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20776784
---

We'll see.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 114
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 19/12/2012 7:46:38 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

quote:

What about Canada?

Post #: 115
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 19/12/2012 8:33:33 AM   
Titanm21

quote:

quote:

quote:

What about Canada?

Its the route of all evil?

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 116
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 19/12/2012 8:38:55 AM   
Titanm21

quote:

quote:

They couldn't quite grasp that a) Dunblane (the only school shooting we've had that I know of) resulted the immediate ban of Pistols which would have had a direct result on the Taxi Shootings in Cumbria (as an example). By that I mean that the nut job had a legal owned Shotgun, imagine if the pistol ban wasn't there. He'd still kill people but with a pistol he would have killed double the victims in half the time. (Carrying more rounds and more mobile than a shotgun).

Regarding the bit in bold fair enough, I'll change that fact if i discuss it again

Pistols may be less powerfull but the rate of fire is much higher, ammo can be carried in higher numbers and a 9mm or .45 pistol round can still kill and make a terrible mess of someone. I disgaree about more survivors. I get what you mean in that its harder to kill someone with  a pistol round than a shotgun round... but he would have effected and fucked up more lives that day with a pistol IMO

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 117
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 19/12/2012 10:35:24 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

A gun is a gun is my opinion,its still created for damage.

Even a B-B gun is lethal.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 118
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 19/12/2012 12:55:54 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

quote:

quote:

What about Canada?

The argument that Video games and/or movies are a contributing factor is made facile by the fact that Canada has a high proportion of gamers and movie-goers, better health insurance and far less weapons. It also has far less gun crime.

I know you were not arguing that games were the cause but that hoary old argument doesnt stand up. If someone with a mental illness plays COD for 10 days straight and shoots someone, you can bet it's because he/she has an illness and the driving cause is not the game.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 119
RE: US Primary School Shooting. - 19/12/2012 1:17:56 PM   
jonson

I was saying it contributed, not that it was the sole reason.
I'm not into the Daily Mail view that violent video games/films are completely responsible, but they are a small factor in pushing someone that way. The Canada reference is irrelevent, you already said they had fewer guns, so a smaller gun crime statistic is obvious. Throw more guns at them and I bet the gun-related crime rate would go up.
I've had a hundred arguments supporting the right to watch violent films, but you have to concede that someone out there is watching/playing these things and being affected. It doesn't warrant a ban on them, but there is some responsibility there.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: US Primary School Shooting. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI