Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 14/12/2012 8:33:46 AM   
demoncleaner

I'm not a thread starter, so if this already exists act like a Cyberman and DELETE!

Favourite moments:

The troll thinks he has sneezed Bilbo and panics!

Genius moment....schizophrenic Gollum guesses the answer to his own riddle "Oh, i get it!" / "Shut up!"

Sting cuts out the glow when the Orc is dead. (Thanks for the poster in Reviews for reminding me of that).

Kili is Legolas. On the Warg hunt. They're hiding behind the rock...a silent nod, and this cool motherfucker stands forward, turns 180 and bangs one in the throat.

Jimmy Nesbitt's Bofur, the only one who cares about Bilbo at that moment,"where are you going?" Bilbo's explanatory rant of "I've got a home to go to...not like you..." and Bofur's silent reaction...gutted. Brilliant.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 14/12/2012 9:53:20 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 14/12/2012 9:09:07 AM   
Timon

I really enjoyed it. Sure, there was padding, but I really enjoyed the flashbacks to Erebor (which looked stunning) and the Dwarf battle at Moria. Plus apparently it's Spartacus Blood and Sand's Manu Bennett as Azog the Pale.

Shame some of the dwarves like Gloin and Bifur were sidelined, but I'm sure they'll have their moments in the sequels. Don't understand the Radagast/Jar Jar Binks comparisons, I enjoyed his moments though I felt the whole Necromancer subplot was forgotten post-Rivendell. Still, at least they'll be able to explain why Gandalf opts to bugger off now and again.

Good to see the return of Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett (who must sleep in Tubberware), Elijah Wood, Ian Holm and of course, Brett McKenzie.

However the film is really just a showcase for lots of slow mo shots of Richard Armitage's Thorin looking brooding. It's practically a drinking game.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 2
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 14/12/2012 9:39:47 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I enjoyed his moments though I felt the whole Necromancer subplot was forgotten post-Rivendell. Still, at least they'll be able to explain why Gandalf opts to bugger off now and again.

Shure it's a big accepted theory that yer man who is playing yer necromancer is yer man who's playing yer thing. And shure Saruman knows it, and she yer woman Galadriel knows what Saruman knows, and shure Gandalf knows what yer woman knows about what Dracula thinks he knows about the necromancer and shure the necromancer's really yer thing...and it's all going to kick off!

But in all seriousness I think the Necromancer hasn't been left behind, is he the puppet of Sauron? Or is he the veiled vestiges of Sauron himself rising from the grave,,,sleep tight....mwhahahha-hhha!!!

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 14/12/2012 9:53:51 AM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
What has the Serkiseses got in its pocketseses? - 14/12/2012 10:54:37 AM   
demoncleaner

It's just the Best Supporting Actor award.

Yes, he stole it precious, that, and the entire film. Build a bridge of Khazad-Dhun and get over it.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 14/12/2012 10:56:10 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 14/12/2012 12:11:43 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

Genius moment....schizophrenic Gollum guesses the answer to his own riddle "Oh, i get it!" / "Shut up!"

Loved that bit. Loved the whole film really. A very worthy companion to my all time favourite films and I'm sure with time I'll only grow to like it more.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 5
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 14/12/2012 11:26:18 PM   
Spectre

I saw it this afternoon and it was fantastic. There are very few films that can put a smile on my face for three hours, but whilst watching it I regularly realised that I was grinning like a loon!

I enjoyed the additional material from the appendices and felt it filled its running time nicely. There was never a dull moment with the overall highlight being the riddles sequence.

Post #: 6
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 15/12/2012 12:17:52 PM   
Whistler

I loved it. I'm very precious about The Hobbit as it's been one of my favourite books since I was a kid, but PJ has done it justice. If I have one qualm, it was the extended use of CGI on orcs and goblins which in LOTR would have been WETA's beautiful prosthetics, but I guess it wasn't a huge deal.

Standout sequences were riddles in the dark and the Gandalf/dwarf escape from the goblin caves. Great fun.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 15/12/2012 5:24:05 PM >

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 7
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 15/12/2012 12:19:50 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Shame some of the dwarves like Gloin and Bifur were sidelined, but I'm sure they'll have their moments in the sequels.

Yeah I felt a bit sorry for some of them - especially Bombur, who if I recall correctly didn't have a single word.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 15/12/2012 7:05:48 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I loved it. I'm very precious about The Hobbit as it's been one of my favourite books since I was a kid, but PJ has done it justice. If I have one qualm, it was the extended use of CGI on orcs and goblins which in LOTR would have been WETA's beautiful prosthetics, but I guess it wasn't a huge deal.

Standout sequences were riddles in the dark and the Gandalf/dwarf escape from the goblin caves. Great fun.

Do we know if there was a reason for this? Seems like an odd choice considering how well they worked last time.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 9
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 15/12/2012 11:32:58 PM   
Spectre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Do we know if there was a reason for this? Seems like an odd choice considering how well they worked last time.

It does seem strange. Perhaps doing Tintin has made him more inclined to use CGI...

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 10
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 16/12/2012 10:23:42 AM   
AxlReznor

Loved it. I used far more words to say this in the review thread, obviously. But yes... well worth the wait.

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 11
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 16/12/2012 10:50:01 AM   
demoncleaner

"Thirty white soldiers on a red hill..."

Child Gollum get's its; "Teeth!"

Nasty vindictive Josef Frtizel Gollum sneers at Bilbo, and opens his maw "We've got nine!"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 12
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 16/12/2012 10:53:09 AM   
Spectre

It looks as if the video release is going to be similar to LOTR with the theatrical edition being followed by the extended edition.

Post #: 13
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 16/12/2012 11:07:42 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spectre

It looks as if the video release is going to be similar to LOTR with the theatrical edition being followed by the extended edition.

That's fantastic. Juts hope they treat DVD and Blu Ray purchasers the same

Much more better!

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 14
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 16/12/2012 10:41:40 PM   
Cool Breeze

So would you say there is more or less walking in this one compared to the other trilogy?

( Sorry! Couldnt resist.Im leaving this thead now. )

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 15
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 17/12/2012 12:24:39 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Must give a longer review at some point, but I really enjoyed it - I'm totally convinced by Peter Jackson's decision to string it out into 3 films now. It might have been a knee breaker and perhaps could have been 20 minutes shorter, but apart from that I just marvel thinking about how Jackson manages to control all the elements and orchestrate so much narrative content. No other way of describing it but the man must be a genius.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 16
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 17/12/2012 8:13:42 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Just wanted to chime and say i saw this in Imax 3D yesterday and loved the whole thing, thought it was a fantastic movie! Cannot wait to see the other two. Loved pretty much everything about it, although like some other posters above, i was a little disappointed with the decision to go fully CG with the orcs as the makeup has been so good previously. I also thought the Warhg's could have looked better too. Other than though small niggles though it was a fantastic film and definitely in my top ten for the year!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 17
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 17/12/2012 4:07:39 PM   
ArseOfSauron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spectre

quote:

quote:

It does seem strange. Perhaps doing Tintin has made him more inclined to use CGI...

I expect so. With Joseph Gordon-Levitt's CGI nose in Looper, it seems filmmakers are experimenting with whether and what make-up CGI can replace.

I imagine that one reason the orcs weren't in full-body make-up is that this is time-consuming and the prosthetics were very hot and unwieldy for the actors in action sequences (which is where most orcs come in).

Also, given that I miss the Welcome to Middle Earth thread, please indulge me and join in my game.

Which is better?
Thranduil v Legolas?
Gloin v Gimli?
Thorin v Aragorn (granted Thorin is not Aragon's dad)?
The Lonely Mountain v Mount Doom?
Gandalf the Grey v Gandalf the White?

I ... hate this place; this zoo, this prison, this ... reality. Whatever you want to call it. I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell. If there is such a thing. I feel ... saturated by it. I can taste your stink.

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 18
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 17/12/2012 4:12:50 PM   
ArseOfSauron

quote:

Shure it's a big accepted theory that yer man who is playing yer necromancer is yer man who's playing yer thing. And shure Saruman knows it, and she yer woman Galadriel knows what Saruman knows, and shure Gandalf knows what yer woman knows about what Dracula thinks he knows about the necromancer and shure the necromancer's really yer thing...and it's all going to kick off!

But in all seriousness I think the Necromancer hasn't been left behind, is he the puppet of Sauron? Or is he the veiled vestiges of Sauron himself rising from the grave,,,sleep tight....mwhahahha-hhha!!!

It's the vestiges of Sauron, I do believe.

And at the first paragraph of your post there.

Actually, this is a good one for Which is better?
Shadowy Sherlock v Flaming Eye?

I ... hate this place; this zoo, this prison, this ... reality. Whatever you want to call it. I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell. If there is such a thing. I feel ... saturated by it. I can taste your stink.

Post #: 19
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 17/12/2012 4:14:24 PM   
AxlReznor

My answers to your questions based on this first movie are Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, Mount Doom and Gandalf The White.

This makes it look like I have something against The Hobbit, though, which isn't the case at all. I loved it, I just think it's a bit early to be making judgements. The true beauty of Lord Of The Rings didn't become apparent (to me at least) until all three Extended Editions were in my collection, and I could watch them back-to-back. Things that seemed pointless, confused or bored me all made sense when I was able to watch the trilogy as a whole, and now it's my favourite film series of all time. I assume that the same is going to hold true for The Hobbit.

(in reply to ArseOfSauron)
Post #: 20
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 17/12/2012 4:25:29 PM   
ArseOfSauron

I agree, and I think this is why the tendency is for people who have read the books to get more from The Hobbit than those who haven't (because they appreciate the significance of some of the groundwork being laid, particularly when it has been borrowed from other Tolkien texts apart from LotR and The Hobbit).

I prefer:
Thranduil
Gimli
Aragorn (though I do disagree with everyone who says they're the same character. They aren't. Thorin is headstrong, quick to anger, bitter and desperate to be a king. Aragorn is level-headed, more content to guard Middle Earth from the shadows and not to claim his heritage in Gondor).
The Lonely Mountain
Gandalf the Grey.

< Message edited by ArseOfSauron -- 17/12/2012 4:26:23 PM >

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 21
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 17/12/2012 5:46:36 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Legolas
Gimli
Aragorn
Mount Doom
Grey
Flaming Eye

This is based on films only though. I still haven't read LOTR

Regarding prosthetics and the like, and with possible SPOILERS FOR THE SEQUELS have people here seen the picture of Bolg? If they went old school with him, why not with Azog?

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 17/12/2012 5:47:14 PM >

Much more better!

Post #: 22
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 17/12/2012 6:33:36 PM   
ArseOfSauron

quote:

Legolas
Gimli
Aragorn
Mount Doom
Grey
Flaming Eye

Post #: 23
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 17/12/2012 7:56:31 PM   
ArseOfSauron

quote:

Favourite moments:

The troll thinks he has sneezed Bilbo and panics!

Sting cuts out the glow when the Orc is dead. (Thanks for the poster in Reviews for reminding me of that).

Kili is Legolas. On the Warg hunt. They're hiding behind the rock...a silent nod, and this cool motherfucker stands forward, turns 180 and bangs one in the throat.

Jimmy Nesbitt's Bofur, the only one who cares about Bilbo at that moment,"where are you going?" Bilbo's explanatory rant of "I've got a home to go to...not like you..." and Bofur's silent reaction...gutted. Brilliant.

Also when Bilbo emerges from behind a tree, having escaped the goblins and Gollum, and Gandalf says "I've never been so pleased to see anyone in all my life."

Choosing moments from the whole Riddles in the Dark sequence is really hard, but I also like these lines:
- "If Baggins loses, we eats it whole." (the very reasonable way he says it is hilarious)

- Gollum: Shut up!
Bilbo: I didn't say anything.
Gollum: Wasn't talking to you!

- Gollum: We'll have a game, just you and me.
Bilbo (confused): Yee-es, just you and me.

Perhaps my favourite part of the whole film is when the dwarves sing Far O'er The Misty Mountains right at the start (and the instrumental reprisals throughout the film are just as fitting and stirring as any LotR theme). The one criticism I will make of the film, though, is that the Neil Finn song over the credits is pretty poor by comparison. It sounds like cheesy '90s pop-world music. I'm not sure who thought the backing vocals or the rainmaker-instrument-like-you-have-in-the-music-box-at-primary-school were a good idea. Also the lines "a fate unknown/The Arkenstone" make me laugh - not sure why, perhaps the spectacular non-sequitur or how out-of-place the word "Arkenstone" sounds in a cheesy '90s pop-world song.

< Message edited by ArseOfSauron -- 18/12/2012 12:20:20 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 18/12/2012 7:58:13 PM   
ArseOfSauron

Just remembered another super bit: after the dwarves sing Far O'er the Misty Mountains, the segue out of the song is the sparks from the chimney drifting and mingling with the stars, and then the smoke drifting up from a candle that has just burnt out... and it's morning.

Also, the smoke ring that hovers in the air before the title 'An Unexpected Journey' comes up. It's reminiscent of the shadow of the ring over the story, and of the circles that accompany the classic illustrations of The Hobbit. The Two Towers has a great segue into the title too - the camera rises over Fangorn Forest and the title appears.

Post #: 25
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 18/12/2012 8:30:04 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: ArseOfSauron

Just remembered another super bit: after the dwarves sing Far O'er the Misty Mountains, the segue out of the song is the sparks from the chimney drifting and mingling with the stars, and then the smoke drifting up from a candle that has just burnt out... and it's morning.

That was a lovely moment.

Much more better!

Post #: 26
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 18/12/2012 8:52:31 PM   
The Duck Returns

quote:

Also, the smoke ring that hovers in the air before the title 'An Unexpected Journey' comes up. It's reminiscent of the shadow of the ring over the story, and of the circles that accompany the classic illustrations of The Hobbit. The Two Towers has a great segue into the title too - the camera rises over Fangorn Forest and the title appears.

Sad puppy.

Post #: 27
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 18/12/2012 8:53:42 PM   
The Duck Returns

quote:

quote:

That was a lovely moment.

It was wasn't it.

Post #: 28
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 19/12/2012 12:20:31 AM   
Rgirvan44

I think the film was a fine way to pass the time, but didn't fly like LOTR. Maybe it was because of the stakes, maybe it is because the Hobbit simply isn't that great a book to translate due to its design. Gandalf is always saving the day. Where LOTR was about even the smallest person having great strength, in the Hobbit the wizard is king.

Sequences were fun, but the best moments were done better in LOTR (thinking mines of Moria vs the Goblins lair).

The Riddles was fun and I like that it was played for laughs. Bit odd now that in FOTR they go out of their way to not show Gollum but in the very first movie there he is running around as bright as day.

It is bloated beyond belief. We go from present day, to flashback, to present day and again to flashback (sort of a John Carteritis) and now of it feels like it is propelling the story in the same way the FOTR flashback worked. And there you saw Sauron in all his glory. In this one Smug barely shown.

But again, while by design it is no LOTR, folks will enjoy it. I am just not sure if I will be pulling it off the shelf all that often.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to The Duck Returns)
Post #: 29
RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 19/12/2012 6:48:10 AM   
Spectre

I think the main reason that they didn't show Gollum in Fellowship was that the CGI was still a little rough.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI