Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 13/12/2012 12:38:18 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

If I'm brutally honest, whilst it looks fun (modern day Robot Jox Vs Monsters, the 8 year old in me just wet himself), if Del Toro's name wasn't attached to this I'd probably be fearing the worst, everyone would.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I also think it has the potential to be a howler of mythic proportions!

Hahaha oh my god I completely forgot about that film!!!!!!!! Thank you paulyboy for bringing it back into my life

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 31
Oppa Gundam Style - 13/12/2012 12:39:20 PM   
El_Barbudo

Well it's sure to do well in Japan.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: Oppa Gundam Style - 13/12/2012 1:10:36 PM   
Scruffybobby

Think this could go either way. I'm going to hope for awesome but I'm fearing awful.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to El_Barbudo)
Post #: 33
RE: Oppa Gundam Style - 13/12/2012 1:15:01 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: El_Barbudo

Well it's sure to do well in Japan.

I'm wondering what impact it will have on the Godzilla remake. Will we have a Dredd/The Raid situation...?

(in reply to El_Barbudo)
Post #: 34
Yes Please! - 13/12/2012 1:33:53 PM   
ericcoyle

For anyone who grew up watching Godzilla movies, this is what we have waited for all our lives. To site other films as refernces when clearly there really is only one refrence needed is a bit ignorant I'm afraid (and I don't mean stupid, I'm talking about the proper use of the word). GDT is a genius (Bay is certainly not) so I'm not worried at all.
Roll on next year.

Post #: 35
RE: RE: - 13/12/2012 2:38:49 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garet6

This is how you do robots punching things. GTD just took a dump on your doorstep, Michael Bay.

I see little to no-difference.

One has clear craft, visual nuance, great design for the robots and monsters, love and dedication, capable framing of the action (if the trailer is of any indication) and awesome actors while the other has the ugliest robot designs ever.

Both have cringeworthy dialogue if the trailer's anything to go by.
Still, I agree - the robots and monsters look fucking awesome.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 36
RE: Yes Please! - 13/12/2012 4:08:42 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericcoyle

For anyone who grew up watching Godzilla movies, this is what we have waited for all our lives. To site other films as refernces when clearly there really is only one refrence needed is a bit ignorant I'm afraid (and I don't mean stupid, I'm talking about the proper use of the word). GDT is a genius (Bay is certainly not) so I'm not worried at all.
Roll on next year.

If we're taking proper word usage... Then genius may be a bit of a stretch no

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to ericcoyle)
Post #: 37
RE: Yes Please! - 13/12/2012 5:09:18 PM   
Don_a_van

GDT making a Robots Vs Aliens, how the hell did this slip under my radar? At any rate this will be AWESOME. OK a part of me did laugh at the illogical notion of this film, we get invaded by aliens from another dimension and someone decides the best way to combat them is to build giant robots?? What's wrong with a couple of cruise missiles up the aliens wazoo but then I think frikkin GIANT ROBOTS Vs ALIENS and all is forgiven. Bring it on.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 38
sci fi rules - 13/12/2012 7:40:29 PM   
cra1gs

With this, Man of Steel, Oblivion and After Earth, Sci Fi and Star Trek, Sci Fi is going to rock next year. I think I shall be seeing them all Big Screen and maybe 3D (well Man Of Steel, Star Trek and Pacific Rim.

Bring on 2013.

Post #: 39
Um...looks like a great video game... - 13/12/2012 7:45:58 PM   
Porter

...and a terrible movie! How bad is Idris Elba's delivery of that direlogue? He's a good actor, but as a better one once said: you can write this shit, George, but you can't say it. Agree with the other comments too. Only GDT film I actually liked was Cronos. Never been excited by his films, not excited by this one.

Post #: 40
Where did it all go wrong for Stringer Bell...? - 13/12/2012 8:51:13 PM   
robouisch

I'm sorry but it really does look quite poor. Pan's Labyrinth is possibly my favourite film ever - it's beautiful - but I've seen no beauty in anything else Del Toro's ever done (The Devil's Backbone POSSIBLY excluded... at a push). I was so excited about ATMOM (great book) but this doesn't look like it's going to make up for the disappointment of missing out on that. Christopher Tookey won't be impressed! On a side note, Idris Elba's had an absolute shocker since The Wire finished. An all round disappointment, this.

Post #: 41
Godzilla vs Transformers, Inception soundtrack, Battles... - 14/12/2012 1:26:00 AM   
Normal Control

what's not to look forward to, right!? right? .... right......?

Post #: 42
RE: Where did it all go wrong for Stringer Bell...? - 14/12/2012 1:33:06 AM   
Normal Control

quote:

ORIGINAL: robouisch

I'm sorry but it really does look quite poor. Pan's Labyrinth is possibly my favourite film ever - it's beautiful - but I've seen no beauty in anything else Del Toro's ever done (The Devil's Backbone POSSIBLY excluded... at a push). I was so excited about ATMOM (great book) but this doesn't look like it's going to make up for the disappointment of missing out on that. Christopher Tookey won't be impressed! On a side note, Idris Elba's had an absolute shocker since The Wire finished. An all round disappointment, this.

Pan's Labyrinth is a stunning movie, one of my favourites too. Del Toro obviously gave a fuck making that one, and it's always gonna be his signature piece. What's his motivation with shit like Pacific Rimmed?

"you would need three promotions to get to be an asshole!"

(in reply to robouisch)
Post #: 43
RE: Where did it all go wrong for Stringer Bell...? - 14/12/2012 2:23:32 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Normal Control

quote:

Pan's Labyrinth is a stunning movie, one of my favourites too. Del Toro obviously gave a fuck making that one, and it's always gonna be his signature piece. What's his motivation with shit like Pacific Rimmed?

Probably he just wanted to do something entertaining set around the sort of nerdery he loves. Sickening and disgusting I know.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Normal Control)
Post #: 44
RE: Where did it all go wrong for Stringer Bell...? - 14/12/2012 6:15:24 AM   
Overmind

quote:

quote:

quote:

Probably he just wanted to do something entertaining set around the sort of nerdery he loves. Sickening and disgusting I know.

And whats wrong with that ?

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 45
RE: Where did it all go wrong for Stringer Bell...? - 14/12/2012 9:09:31 AM   
UTB

quote:

I imagine he was probably tired of getting into projects and them falling apart.

GDT: "Fine. Giant monsters from under the sea and great big robots kicking fuck of out them".

Exec: "Sold!"

Looks good though.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 46
RE: Where did it all go wrong for Stringer Bell...? - 14/12/2012 9:27:09 AM   
Overmind

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I imagine he was probably tired of getting into projects and them falling apart.

GDT: "Fine. Giant monsters from under the sea and great big robots kicking fuck of out them".

Exec: "Sold!"

Looks good though.

:) I have no problem imaginig that that was literally what happened.

Lets hope he can stack up some cash from this spectacle and go independant with ATMOM.

Showed this to my 9 year old daughter. She is realy looking forward to this :)

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 47
RE: sci fi rules - 14/12/2012 11:26:09 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: cra1gs

With this, Man of Steel, Oblivion and After Earth, Sci Fi and Star Trek, Sci Fi is going to rock next year. I think I shall be seeing them all Big Screen and maybe 3D (well Man Of Steel, Star Trek and Pacific Rim.

Bring on 2013.

Dont forget Elysium. From the buzz that got at CC, it could well leave all others playing catch up next year.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to cra1gs)
Post #: 48
RE: sci fi rules - 14/12/2012 12:03:13 PM   
directorscut

Oh dear. Looks like Power Rangers with a budget .

Also GLaDOS is an immediate immersion breaker. Will there be a goddamn cake is a lie reference? If there is I'm up and leaving and asking for my money back.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 49
RE: Where did it all go wrong for Stringer Bell...? - 14/12/2012 12:22:43 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Overmind

quote:

quote:

quote:

And whats wrong with that ?

Absolutely nothing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Overmind)
Post #: 50
Did Robot Jox need a remake - 14/12/2012 12:42:06 PM   
Hingway Films

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kd642Ix5ks

Post #: 51
RE: Did Robot Jox need a remake - 14/12/2012 1:51:44 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hingway Films

(in reply to Hingway Films)
Post #: 52
Never mind Transformers, this has a much more obvious p... - 14/12/2012 2:47:32 PM   
sharkboy

Surely I can't be the only person on the boards to have read Warren Ellis' Tokyo Storm Warning? 

If you're unfamiliar with the work, it centres around a reality in which Tokyo was the recipient of the first atomic bomb rather than Hiroshima.  As a result, the city has been ravaged by huge monsters and defended by the ARCangels, a squad of warriors who pilot giant fighting robots.  Sound just a bit familiar?

But having said that, this is del Toro directing a movie full of giant robots and monsters going mano a mano.  If ever there was a pitch that guaranteed me to be at the cinema on the day of release...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 53
RE: Never mind Transformers, this has a much more obvio... - 14/12/2012 6:16:51 PM   
Olaf

Is it not more that GDT and Ellis were kind of drawing on the same kaiju tradition? If anything, Tokyo Storm Warning was a fairly blatant 'homage' to Neon Genesis Evangelion anyway.

I was expecting this to be a bit pulpier and OTT than this trailer suggests, to be honest. It's admirable to try and play straight 'giant robots vs. Godzilla', but I'd hoped for less darkly-lit action sequences and more oversaturated colours and badly-overdubbed dialogue (maybe not the latter). cool robot designs though.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 54
- 14/12/2012 6:41:42 PM   
jimbaf

could of done with this when 'Cloverfield' kicked off

Post #: 55
RE: Pacific Rim Trailer Roars In - 15/12/2012 12:51:48 AM   
MonsterCat

I'm sold, I'm in. Obviously I'll be seeking out a 2D performance.

Seems to be a lot of dissension (sp?) about Del Toro making a film which simply seems to be a mainstream flick about robots hitting monsters. There's nothing inherently wrong with making that kind of film. Really it all depends on how he executes the material. I mean, this is the guy who made Blade 2 and the Hellboy flicks, and they were perfectly entertaining bits of popcorn fodder made with all too rare care and attention.

The guy can't be expected to churn out a Pan's Labyrinth or a Devil's Backbone every time he comes out with a new movie. Del Toro playing around in this arena is always an exciting prospect for me.

quote:

You haven't seen the finished film and cannot pass judgement on it. Simple.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 15/12/2012 1:05:03 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 56
RE: Did Robot Jox need a remake - 15/12/2012 5:41:11 AM   
Overmind

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hingway Films

Did I realy see a chainsaw thingie ?

Post #: 57
RE: Never mind Transformers, this has a much more obvio... - 15/12/2012 7:25:50 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Is it not more that GDT and Ellis were kind of drawing on the same kaiju tradition?

Yeah, I thought this was pretty obvious!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 58
RE: Pacific Rim Trailer Roars In - 15/12/2012 8:59:42 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I'm sold, I'm in. Obviously I'll be seeking out a 2D performance.

Seems to be a lot of dissension (sp?) about Del Toro making a film which simply seems to be a mainstream flick about robots hitting monsters. There's nothing inherently wrong with making that kind of film. Really it all depends on how he executes the material. I mean, this is the guy who made Blade 2 and the Hellboy flicks, and they were perfectly entertaining bits of popcorn fodder made with all too rare care and attention.

The guy can't be expected to churn out a Pan's Labyrinth or a Devil's Backbone every time he comes out with a new movie. Del Toro playing around in this arena is always an exciting prospect for me.
You haven't seen the finished film and cannot pass judgement on it. Simple.

But your positive opinion is equally unfounded as any negative opinion, since all anyone is going on is the trailer and the general concept. If you want to be logical about it then someone saying 'this is going to be great!!' is equally misguided and worthy of derision as someone saying 'this is going to be shit!!'.

There's no fun at all in everyone saying 'I have yet to see the finished film so I cannot make a value judgement on it' because development cycles/marketing drives/etc start too early for that to work, and people are going to discuss upcoming films even if they haven't seen them. There's plenty of time for changing one's opinion later when they've seen the film.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 59
RE: Pacific Rim Trailer Roars In - 15/12/2012 10:10:50 PM   
MonsterCat

I didn't pass an opinion on it, though.

I said the trailer has piqued my interest and Del Toro directing in a more mainstream vein is an interesting prospect for me. That's not the same as me saying: "OMG! THIS FILM WILL BE BEST EVS AND TOTES EMOSH".

If my post was the direct opposite of Normal Control's post you'd have a point, but it isn't and you don't, bro.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 15/12/2012 10:17:29 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI