Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 12/12/2012 5:40:42 PM   
mclane1

Did i dream this or in the late 80's around the time of 'Freddy 3D' , maybe early 90'S, did cinema released horror films not just vanish off the face of the earth for about 10 years.

The whole genre was then rebooted with Scream.

I remember it being quite apparent at the time but maybe it was'nt.??

does this ring true with anyone else (in their late 30's) and if so can anyone be more specific with dates and films out of interest?

< Message edited by mclane1 -- 12/12/2012 5:50:59 PM >

If the cash is there, we do not care.
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 12/12/2012 5:51:42 PM   
Woger

Well there was Nightmare on Elm Street 4 - The Trilogy continues in 1988, then there were numbers 5 & 6. And don't forget the glut of Friday the 13th sequels.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 12/12/2012 5:52:14 PM   
Shifty Bench

Are you asking if after A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors did horror films stop being released in cinemas?

There were two more 'Freddy' films released in the 80s after 3 for a start.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 12/12/2012 7:30:50 PM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Are you asking if after A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors did horror films stop being released in cinemas?

By 'Freddy 3D', I think he must mean Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (hah!), which was the only 3D entry in the series & came out in 1991.

There were probably just as many horror flicks released in the 90s as any other decade. It's just that the major franchises were either done or running out of steam by then

On the other hand, maybe you're right - with video at its peak, the distributors decided they'd make more money by just releasing their crap straight to video.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 12/12/2012 7:48:07 PM   
adambatman82

There were only 5 years between The Silence Of The Lambs and Scream, which alongside The Blair Witch Project were probably the great touchstones of the genre that decade. I think the success of The Silence Of The Lambs led to the "softening" of the genre in a way actually, as it kind of legitimised it as a populist medium. When I think of horror in the years running up to Scream I think of films like Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Interview With The Vampire, which are horror flicks, but operatic and played to major crowds.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 12/12/2012 7:49:08 PM >

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 12/12/2012 7:53:26 PM   
elab49

Army of Darkness was 1992/3.A quick Wiki checks shows about the same numbers still getting cinema releases, although it was possible that more of the multiple franchise entries went DTV?

But Candyman was cinema too I'm sure. New Nightmare too. There are quite a few on that list. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 12/12/2012 7:55:09 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Army of Darkness was 1992/3.A quick Wiki checks shows about the same numbers still getting cinema releases, although it was possible that more of the multiple franchise entries went DTV?

But Candyman was cinema too I'm sure. New Nightmare too. There are quite a few on that list. 

Jackson's Braindead came out in '92 too.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 12/12/2012 7:58:18 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

quote:

By 'Freddy 3D', I think he must mean Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (hah!), which was the only 3D entry in the series & came out in 1991.

Ah, he has changed it, the film he originally mentioned was 'Freddy 3 Dream Quest', hence my post. And he didn't have 'maybe early 90s' in his post either.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 12/12/2012 8:48:32 PM >

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 13/12/2012 6:50:08 AM   
mclane1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

quote:

Ah, he has changed it, the film he originally mentioned was 'Freddy 3 Dream Quest', hence my post. And he didn't have 'maybe early 90s' in his post either.

Easy there Shifty, nobody had responded at that point.
I changed it as I was'nt sure of the movies, hence me asking the question in the first place, after further thought I seemed to remember the 3D freddy film ended things for a bit which I thought might jog peoples memory more.
My thread was to find out if there was in fact a period where horror films lost popularity and stopped being shown and from my memory this was around the late 80's, or as I thought about it more, the early 90's.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 13/12/2012 7:04:42 AM   
elab49

I think it's more Shifty's explaining what his post was in response to to explain what he posted mcclane

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 13/12/2012 9:13:11 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1
Easy there Shifty,

Eh?

quote:

I think it's more Shifty's explaining what his post was in response to to explain what he posted mcclane

Indeed, I was explaining to Bud why my post said what it did. I didn't say anything against you, you completely misread the intention of my post.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 13/12/2012 9:22:17 AM   
Brundlesflies

Not sure there was a particular shut down as such, but I think the early '90's saw a shift in the type of horror films made. Certainly by that time the slasher movie had pretty much run it's course (& as one of the few people with the dubious pleasure of witnessing Freddy's Dead in 3D I can only be thankful for that) There did seem to be a mid-'90's flirtation with big budget, lavish horror productions (Interview with Vampire/Dracula) altho Branagh's Frankenstein did seem to ram a stake in the heart of those pretty swiftly!

Scream certainly seemed to re-start the slasher sub-genre of horror, in much the same way 28 Days Later re-started (re-animated?) the zombie film craze (&, yes, I am well aware they're not really zombies but 'infected' )

The thing is horror has always chopped and changed styles and sub-genres depending on the mood at the time - look at the rise and subsequent fall of the 'gorno' craze, a pattern I'm sure the 'found footage' films will soon follow (with any luck).

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 13/12/2012 12:09:48 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Army of Darkness was 1992/3.

Yay for Army of Darkness. Tremors was 1990. Seven was 95. From Dusk Till Dawn 96. Cube 97. Lost Highway 98. Off the top of my head...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 13/12/2012 1:17:09 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

Ah the decade of DTV Sequels and poor efforts at kickstarting franchises (Dr Giggles, The Dentist, the Tales From The Crypt films, Leprechaun etc).
Some incredible stuff from Germany, Italy and Asia though.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 13/12/2012 3:18:49 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

Ah the decade of DTV Sequels and poor efforts at kickstarting franchises (Dr Giggles, The Dentist, the Tales From The Crypt films, Leprechaun etc).
Some incredible stuff from Germany, Italy and Asia though.

Absolute masterpiece - the simple fella out of LA Law is mesmerising as the titular murderous GP.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 15/12/2012 4:06:29 PM   
vader100

The Fly was released in 1986. I think that falls into the horror category.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 16
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 16/12/2012 9:25:50 AM   
mclane1

I'm talking horror as in your typical evil dead, Friday 13th. I reckon after a bit of research it all went quiet after silence of the lambs in 91up to Scream in 96.
Solambs turned people onto more intelligent horror and the traditional slasher/gory horror movie lost popularity and most went dtv, Then scream got people going again.

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 16/12/2012 9:49:38 AM   
DancingClown

Well then why does the thread title mention "the horror shutdown of the 80s"?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 18
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 16/12/2012 12:05:03 PM   
tommyjarvis

I think the OP is right to be honest. I'm not even sure I would class Silence as a horror film. The focus at that stage for psycho movies was on grown up thrillers (eg Silence, Cape Fear, Basic Instinct) rather than teen slashers. There were latter day franchise entries (New Nightmare, Jason Goes To Hell, Halloween 6, Army of Darkness) but nobody really cared about them and they didn't make much impact.

Up until Scream in 96 the only successful horrors I can think of are the Dracula/Frankenstein redos and maybe Candyman.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 19
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 16/12/2012 3:06:47 PM   
mclane1

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Well then why does the thread title mention "the horror shutdown of the 80s"?

Because that's the point, I wasn't sure of the exact dates and was hoping you good people could help me out

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 20
RE: Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's - 16/12/2012 3:11:22 PM   
mclane1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

I think the OP is right to be honest. I'm not even sure I would class Silence as a horror film. The focus at that stage for psycho movies was on grown up thrillers (eg Silence, Cape Fear, Basic Instinct) rather than teen slashers. There were latter day franchise entries (New Nightmare, Jason Goes To Hell, Halloween 6, Army of Darkness) but nobody really cared about them and they didn't make much impact.

Up until Scream in 96 the only successful horrors I can think of are the Dracula/Frankenstein redos and maybe Candyman.

That's good then, it may have not been a dream after all :)

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Anyone remember the Horror shut down in the 80's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI