Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Fresh Star Trek Into Darkness Image

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Fresh Star Trek Into Darkness Image Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fresh Star Trek Into Darkness Image - 10/12/2012 10:50:00 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 10/12/2012 10:50:00 PM   
jmebaby25

Potential Spoiler:

IGN reports that along with the image was the caption (released by Paramount) that Cumberbatch is playing "John Harrison"

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 11/12/2012 12:33:28 AM   
jazzyjules63

This image proves that the hand in the final frame of the Japanese trailer belonged to Cumberbatch, not Kirk. As far as the plot goes, I don't know why everyone assumes it's taken from the TV show.

Post #: 3
- 11/12/2012 8:06:46 AM   
jameshrave

I wonder what the likelihood is that hes in there because he wants to be and will breakout in spectacular fashion, à la Skyfall or The Dark Knight.

Post #: 4
- 11/12/2012 9:09:18 AM   
chris wootton

Maybe not Khan but a version of him that fits into this universe? Could be, as Carol Marcus is a definite nod in a certain direction. I'd still say that the hand in the Japanese trailer belongs to Spock.. he was almost doing the Vulcan Neck Bench (or whatever it's called).

Post #: 5
'John Harrison' AKA Sybok? Khan? Who? - 11/12/2012 9:22:16 AM   
Holbydude

There are LOADS of nods to 'Space Seed' / 'Wrath Of Khan'. This 'John Harrison' was almost killed by Khan in 'Space Seed' and appeared in 27 episodes of the original series. The two hands on the glass...yes, could be Cumberbatch / Quinto, not Pine / Quinto and I agree...the blonde...got to be Carole Marcus...What the hell is JJ Abrams doing???

Post #: 6
Please... - 11/12/2012 9:22:22 AM   
wedgeski

...not another "Being caught was his plan all along!" schtick. It's passed well into cliche territory at this point.

Post #: 7
If John Harrison was almost killed by Khan in the series - 11/12/2012 9:53:42 AM   
chris wootton

Then I'm almost convinced that stimplepatch is playing Khan. The whole lava thing looked like the Genesis project working.

Post #: 8
The Lava sequence.... - 11/12/2012 10:09:16 AM   
Holbydude

...Don't think that's the Genesis Planet blowing up. Is it the inside of a volcano in the opening 9 minutes?

Post #: 9
Friendships will be torn apart - 11/12/2012 10:31:10 AM   
UncleMonkeyTrousers

" Love will be challenged. Friendships will be torn apart. And sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew."

This plot synopsis is quite ambiguous. It could mean Kirk makes sacrifices for crew/friendship/love, Or that that Kirks' crew make sacrifices and take the losses. Perhaps the hands at the end of the Japanese trailer are Cummerbund/Spock, and that theirs is a friendship that is lost because of the plot and not Kirk as we are expecting.

Although that could be rubbish as well...

Post #: 10
STOP THE PRESS...ALICE EVE IS... - 11/12/2012 1:58:15 PM   
Holbydude

CAROLE MARCUS. Just been revealed!

Post #: 11
RE: STOP THE PRESS...ALICE EVE IS... - 13/12/2012 9:32:43 AM   
jmebaby25

Here's an MTV interview with Cumberbatch discussing the role: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1xoe9vpQcPw

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Holbydude)
Post #: 12
RE: STOP THE PRESS...ALICE EVE IS... - 13/12/2012 10:12:33 AM   
jobloffski

To me there is a very good way to have Khan in the new continuity: have the initial encounter end differently, or not have khan's plan revealed to Kirk, then the thing he was marooned to prevent can happen. Problem solved, a different characterisation of Khan, because his motivation in TWOK would be absent and he would personalise his Wrath on Kirk.

There you go, A film that would essentially be 'The Wrath of Kirk', the story of the captain losing it in response to What Khan does, and the crew begin to fear what he is asking them to do, with the vengeance roles reversed as Kirk effectively declares war on Khan, 'Jim, logically he deserves it, but if we do this, then how are we better than him?'etc

And though it was Gary Mitchell who went all 'God' in the original series, what's to stop the thing that happened to him happening to someone else in the new timeline, and therefore still using old tales, but spun anew, and that's where Bertrand Hammerbatch comes into it?

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 13/12/2012 11:21:46 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 13
Oh God No - 14/12/2012 12:17:09 PM   
LifeNeedsMeaning

Why would the director decide to do something as cliched as that? If people are assuming that the Japanese teaser at the end of the trailer is showing the two hands, maybe Benedict doesn't get captured because he wanted to. I'm analysing the information I have here, and I can tell you that this may have much less similarity to other films than people think it does. It will probably have much more depth and normally go places that other films don't. The director is obviously tackling this in a psychological manner.

For one thing, Loki didn't want vengeance. He didn't do it personally. In fact, he just wanted power because he believed the human race craved subjugation. He wanted to rule over everyone. Benedict's character John Harrison (perhaps) explains his anger and frustration, this is much more personal and he wants vengeance. But he doesn't do it in a way like a typical villain would do. He has no clear boundaries, we may be able to sympathise with him. In fact, despite knowing how to fight, I perceive he might be as vulnerable as the rest of the characters. He isn't purely evil, like Loki, or psychotic, like Silva in Skyfall. For once, I think when we do watch this film, we will not be able to distinguish between good and evil. And, for example, he mentions 'family', which brings in morals. Kirk, from the last film, is developing confidence and dislikes it when he is suddenly made vulnerable by this new character, but what he doesn't realise is that he may be going about this the wrong way. He's in conflict, he doesn't know what he's doing. Is Benedict's character therefore a plot device? No. Kirk's character may just be refusing to believe and becoming ignorant to the reason Harrison may be destroying things, assuming that this guy is wrecking havoc and locking him up for no apparent reason. If people think that this may be your typical sci-fi action film, there are some things that I see that may make you think otherwise. Benedict's character has been described as a terrorist, given the fact he is destroying everything, but the crew don't seem to see what reasons he's doing it for. A good reason that may be able to explain why he has been locked up is because Kirk and the rest of the crew are trying to see who he really is and what he's doing, or afraid of what he's going to do next. Or maybe they are just ignorant of what he's actually doing and punishing him for creating havoc.

< Message edited by LifeNeedsMeaning -- 14/12/2012 12:36:26 PM >

Post #: 14
Potential spoiler - 14/12/2012 1:23:16 PM   
chris wootton

Just seen this... could be a genuine mistake but it seems Mr Spock might have let something slip http://furiousfanboys.com/2012/12/zachary-quinto-slips-up-and-says-khan/

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Fresh Star Trek Into Darkness Image Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI