The Wild Geese

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Wild Geese Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Wild Geese - 10/12/2012 9:29:19 PM   
Mister Coe

So, I just took delivery of a new, hopefully-pristine and remastered Blu of THE WILD GEESE... who else has got love for this film?

Too tired to watch it tonight, got an early start tomorrow, but I'd love to hear what you guys think of it.

For me, it's a classic that my parents let me stay up and watch when I was a kid one night. I've loved it ever since. Great cast, a lot bloodier than that original, ITV-censored-to-fuck version that I originally saw (yeah, I saw an uncut VHS version once...) and that scene where Mr. Harris is running for the plane... wow.

The best review of this ace film is that someone called it 'The Royal Shakespeare Company remaking The Wild Bunch'... I can do no better than that.

What do you guys think?

Say what now?
Post #: 1
RE: The Wild Geese - 10/12/2012 9:39:00 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I just have a free copy that came with a Sunday paper Harris and Burton together in a film. Ye gawds, can you imagine how much drinking was done while they made that little number.

I hope it lives up to your boyhood recollections. For me it is a notch below the likes of Where Eagles Dare and Dirty Dozen, but still a worthy yarn.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 2
RE: The Wild Geese - 11/12/2012 8:02:05 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I just have a free copy that came with a Sunday paper Harris and Burton together in a film. Ye gawds, can you imagine how much drinking was done while they made that little number.

I hope it lives up to your boyhood recollections. For me it is a notch below the likes of Where Eagles Dare and Dirty Dozen, but still a worthy yarn.

Interesting titbit about THE WILD GEESE... apparently both Burton and Harris (and other cast members) were off the booze at the time for insurance reasons, so they substituted it with copious quantities of the local ganja...

Say what now?

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 3
RE: The Wild Geese - 15/12/2012 11:47:34 AM   
Joserabal

The Wild Geese is a very good American movie.........

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 4
RE: The Wild Geese - 16/12/2012 10:47:22 PM   
Cool Breeze

Great movie.One of Roger Moores best non 007 roles.For those who think he played Bond too light, Moore is a total bad ass in this film!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Joserabal)
Post #: 5
RE: The Wild Geese - 17/12/2012 1:38:10 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Great movie.One of Roger Moores best non 007 roles.For those who think he played Bond too light, Moore is a total bad ass in this film!

Roger Moore was ALWAYS a total bad-ass! I hear that he once knocked out Lee Marvin...

I love that bit in WILD GEESE when he is faced with the two drug dealers....

'I'm sorry as hell...'

I really need to get my act together and post a proper review...

Say what now?

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 6
RE: The Wild Geese - 17/12/2012 1:14:58 PM   
Russ Whitfield

LOVE this movie. Wouldn't want to see a remake, though, this classic should be left as is.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 7
RE: The Wild Geese - 19/3/2013 1:15:33 PM   
Timon

Saw this at the weekend and I really wish The Expendables had taken a few pages out of its book - in that it should have killed characters off.

It was rather heartbreaking when the staff sergent and Richard Harris were killed, yet for a team called The Expendables, no one has died over two films - which seems to be missing the point.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 8
RE: The Wild Geese - 19/3/2013 9:55:38 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Saw this at the weekend and I really wish The Expendables had taken a few pages out of its book - in that it should have killed characters off.

It was rather heartbreaking when the staff sergent and Richard Harris were killed, yet for a team called The Expendables, no one has died over two films - which seems to be missing the point.

Cheers, Timon, I love the way that characters you have grown to like get bumped off left right and centre. It really pumps up the anxiety. Another heartbreaking moment is when Richard Burton has to shoot the three young terminally-injured soldiers...

I'd love to hear what any younger action-movie fans, used to high-octane CGI-loaded films, think of this 1978 classic if they should stumble across it...

'There's a special clause in my contract that says that my liver should be buried separately, with honours...'

Seriously, can you imagine any contemporary action hero delivering that line..?

Say what now?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Wild Geese Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI