Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Playing TV from laptop via PS3

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Playing TV from laptop via PS3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 10/12/2012 1:41:46 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm technically limited, so apologies if I can't phrase my issue correctly, or am just too blame dumb to do the obvious.

- I have a PS3, a TV, a laptop and a WiFi router.
- I have Windows Media Centre and PS3 Media Server installed on my laptop.
- I can browse on my PS3 to find my videos file on my laptop and play stuff.

All good and I gave myself a big pat on the back for managing the above. But I have a two minor issues that I was hoping someone might have advice for:

1. There seems a very slow update to what I have on my laptop showing on my PS3. So say I have on my laptop Files > Movie A > Movie A (in a format the PS3 should recognise), I can see that on the laptop, but on the PS3 it is just Files > [no movie A showing]. Sometimes this is 30 minutes, on a recent occasion it seems to be never. Is there something I can refresh. Just feels like the laptop and PS3 hardly ever talk to each other.

2. When I have a movie I can get to several points where there is a stutter in the playback. Like there is not enough buffer in the PS3. I don't get that issue with smaller TV programs, so I kind of feel it is file size related, but I have no idea if there is anything I can do about it. Of course, this could also be an issue on the laptop side, like I need to make sure mail and other things it might occasionally take memory and go out and do are turned off.

Not really an issue, but is there a way I can save stuff on the PS3 from my laptop, using said network and not having to plug in cables? Might help me get over issue 2 above.

And a completely unrelated question, but I think that if anyone can answer the above they might be able to answer this. I like big noise. Does anyone know of a surround sound blue tooth option or similar speaker ability (bar... I dunno) for my TV. I'm playing through a relatively modern 36" Sony TV.

Thanks in advance for any tech savvy input.

EDIT: Oh one more question. Stupid one really, but could I also play a file saved on my laptop (again using the wonders of WiFi in the home) through an iPad?
Post #: 1
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 10/12/2012 3:10:54 PM   
shool

It sounds like your laptop is acting as something called an DNLA server to your PS3. This isnt as simple as your PS3 browsing files on your laptop as the DNLA puts a cache together of the media files on your laptop.
Sometimes the refreshing on this can be a total pain in the arse. i have the same problem with my NAS box and TV set top box doing much the same thing. The only way to fix it often is to reboot both.
I'm not too familiar with media centre, but there may be an option in there to refresh files, where it will then take several minutes cataloguing them.

In the end I bought a seperate media player than could actually browse through file directories which then cut this problem out. I find DNLA to be a bit hit and miss.

The buffering issues is probably due to that you are streaming wirelessly which can be a bit temperamental sometimes. If you dont want to cable your house, I would recommend looking at "homeplugs" networking adapters which will give you a high speed connection using your electrical cabling

You can also stream DNLA stuff to your Ipad too, there is an app called Flexplayer which can pick up the files in the same way your PS3 does.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert and my set up is different so I am only offering best guesses here.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 2
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 10/12/2012 3:57:22 PM   
elab49

Which media player did you go for Shool?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 3
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 10/12/2012 3:59:32 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

It sounds like your laptop is acting as something called an DNLA server to your PS3. This isnt as simple as your PS3 browsing files on your laptop as the DNLA puts a cache together of the media files on your laptop.
Sometimes the refreshing on this can be a total pain in the arse. i have the same problem with my NAS box and TV set top box doing much the same thing. The only way to fix it often is to reboot both.
I'm not too familiar with media centre, but there may be an option in there to refresh files, where it will then take several minutes cataloguing them.

In the end I bought a seperate media player than could actually browse through file directories which then cut this problem out. I find DNLA to be a bit hit and miss.

The buffering issues is probably due to that you are streaming wirelessly which can be a bit temperamental sometimes. If you dont want to cable your house, I would recommend looking at "homeplugs" networking adapters which will give you a high speed connection using your electrical cabling

You can also stream DNLA stuff to your Ipad too, there is an app called Flexplayer which can pick up the files in the same way your PS3 does.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert and my set up is different so I am only offering best guesses here.

Thank you sir.

I have heard the term DNLA, but for someone like me who is swimming in strange waters this was one of a thousand acronyms that meant nothing to me. Now I see what it is and that sounds right. You can see why to the untrained eye, it looks like it should be browsing though. The fix is easy as I turn the PS3 on when I want to use it and restarting the laptop is not such a problem. So, that sounds like a fix I will try when I get home.

My wife has invested in a hard drive that I think can also be used as a media player. I think it is a WD live or something I have hope of using it to do the same job as the laptop, so that should be interesting.

Yes, I am streaming wirelessly. I do not want / my wife will not allow cabling. I think I have seen such devices in Curry's but if you can point me to one to make sure I'm right, I'd be grateful as I think they are around 40, which is a good investment if it works, but a bad one if not.

I'll give the iPad app a whirl tonight too.

Thanks again

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 4
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 10/12/2012 4:11:25 PM   
elab49

Wait - hard drive. Something has flickered in the dim recesses of my mind - I think the media player thing has come up before and Shool possibly answered it (and I just didn't get one at the time).

*crosses fingers search isn't buggered today*

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 5
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 10/12/2012 7:59:36 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

Genius x 2

The reboot of both machines worked and I can easily work with that. Its not like I add content on the fly that much.

I installed 2 apps, FlexPlayer and MediaConnect. And am able to both see and play items on my laptop on my iPad. Which is great as I used to lug upstairs both the laptop and the power pack (given that the battery has a life slightly less than that of an average program). Now I should just need the iPad. Cheers!

Post #: 6
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 11/12/2012 11:02:52 AM   
paulyboy

Assuming you're using the PS3 Media Server to host the files and not the Windows Media Centre gubbins (you only need one or the other, not both) then a simple restart of the app on the Laptop will probably suffice to refresh the library, just open up the program and hit the big "Restart Server" button at the top of the interface, worked for me in the past when I used it. Might save time over rebooting all your devices, if it works that is.

Also whilst the stuttering is probably (like school says) just a foible of using wireless networks, make sure your PS3 Media Server isn't trying to transcode all the videos, last time I used it the bloody thing was trying to convert files it didn't even need to for streaming. Just go to the transcode settings page and use the power plug icon to switch off all the transcoding engines, unless you're using them to watch file formats the PS3 doesn't understand that is, in which case leave them, just be aware that it sometimes tries to transcode stuff it doesn't need to in my experience.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

Post #: 7
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 11/12/2012 11:55:26 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Thanks pauly. I'm not entirely sure which of the two apps, the Windows or PS3 Media Server is controlling.

I think I shall try uninstalling (or turning off) the Windows app and seeing what happens.

BTW Just if anyone is following this, I found out that the FlexPlayer / MediaConnect app that shool recommended will only play the top 3 items in a file on the default free version. To open up the rest of the file to be played a small payment is due, around 5.50 I think. Which in my book is well worth the investment, but just thought I'd add that.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 11/12/2012 11:58:39 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Which media player did you go for Shool?

I went for an Xtreamer device. I think its out of date now, but works a dream.

Like most media players it plays pretty much anything you can throw at it. Plus you can delete files right from the remote once you've watched them which is a small but very nice feature.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 11/12/2012 11:59:22 AM   
shool

quote:

quote:

quote:

Genius x 2

The reboot of both machines worked and I can easily work with that. Its not like I add content on the fly that much.

I installed 2 apps, FlexPlayer and MediaConnect. And am able to both see and play items on my laptop on my iPad. Which is great as I used to lug upstairs both the laptop and the power pack (given that the battery has a life slightly less than that of an average program). Now I should just need the iPad. Cheers!

Glad it worked for you.

Post #: 10
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 11/12/2012 12:06:05 PM   
shool

quote:

Yes, I am streaming wirelessly. I do not want / my wife will not allow cabling. I think I have seen such devices in Curry's but if you can point me to one to make sure I'm right, I'd be grateful as I think they are around 40, which is a good investment if it works, but a bad one if not.

Sorry missed this part.

Something like these I was referring to. There are loads of different brands out there for it running at all sorts of speeds. Make sure you get a fast one if you streaming HD content recommend 200Mbps or more if poss.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/XAVB5201.aspx#

Post #: 11
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 11/12/2012 12:13:52 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Thank you so much shool. I shall try to get my luddite brain around these this evening.

I know it was entirely unconnected on a technical platform (but entirely related in my home entertainment head). But any advice on alternatives to my TV speakers that will improve the sound of films and music played via the TV would be welcome. Again a minimum of cabling would be higher on the list then the absolute highest sound quality.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 12
RE: Playing TV from laptop via PS3 - 11/12/2012 12:22:06 PM   
shool

I use an Orbitsound sound bar with sub woofer. Its got a nice virtual surround sound effect which gives a really nice wide sound. Shove the sub woofer behind or beside the TV cabinet out of sight.

http://www.orbitsound.com/

Its award winning and also has a nice dock for the ipod/phone. Not too pricey either and no wires around the room for surround speakers.

Works for me.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Playing TV from laptop via PS3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI