Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Man With The Iron Fists

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Man With The Iron Fists Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Man With The Iron Fists - 10/12/2012 6:52:40 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
them iron fists need to be used against the director - 10/12/2012 6:52:40 AM   
thaiboy

3 stars...you gave this 3 STARS!...this is without a doubt the worst film ever made.
the story is a shambles
the dialogue is atrocious
the acting makes chuck norris look like al pacino
the soundtrack is well out of place and used at the most inappropriate times.
as for the action..well even that is too fast paced and hurts the eyes..no drama...no suspense ..no build up of characters..and half the time you can't even understand what RZA is saying!

i was so looking forward to this film and its appalling ..you want fun rent out big trouble in little china...avoid this pile of crap at all costs

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: them iron fists need to be used against the director - 10/12/2012 1:20:45 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: thaiboy

3 stars...you gave this 3 STARS!...this is without a doubt the worst film ever made.
the story is a shambles
the dialogue is atrocious
the acting makes chuck norris look like al pacino
the soundtrack is well out of place and used at the most inappropriate times.
as for the action..well even that is too fast paced and hurts the eyes..no drama...no suspense ..no build up of characters..and half the time you can't even understand what RZA is saying!

i was so looking forward to this film and its appalling ..you want fun rent out big trouble in little china...avoid this pile of crap at all costs

Pretty sure its supposed to be all those things!.
i watched Ninja Assassin on Love film! i got what I expected from the title!. I'm looking forward to watching this one !

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 10/12/2012 1:24:48 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to thaiboy)
Post #: 3
RE: them iron fists need to be used against the director - 10/12/2012 1:30:00 PM   
Timon

The Man With The Iron Fists' greatest strength and biggest weakness is that it's based on the Shaw Brothers HK films of the 1970s.

Therefore the dialogue is awful, the plot is not important and the fights are ridiculous. The problem is that while that's forgivable in a badly dubbed/subtitled retro Hong Kong film, with a host of familiar faces churning them out with American accents, it's just weird. Also RZA is no leading man.

Still, the soundtrack is great, the fights are fun and it could have apparently been a 4 hour long epic! So thank God it wasn't.

Your enjoyment of it will be based solely on how you feel about old school HK movies. I thought it was fun, but have no desire to see it ever again.

3/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 4
WORTH A LOOK..... - 12/12/2012 7:29:58 PM   
ROTGUT

As a piece of entertaining Afro Samurai, B movie, Kung Fu schlock, this film works quite well. Reckon they should have just cut their losses at the start and hired Jamie Fox to play the title role though because judged on this evidence, RZA’s got about as much acting talent as a big lump of concrete. The guy seems to have the same one blank expression throughout the entire movie – hell – even Lassie could out act him.

THREE STARS

Post #: 5
WORTH A LOOK..... - 12/12/2012 7:29:59 PM   
ROTGUT

As a piece of entertaining Afro Samurai, B movie, Kung Fu schlock, this film works quite well. Reckon they should have just cut their losses at the start and hired Jamie Fox to play the title role though because judged on this evidence, RZA’s got about as much acting talent as a big lump of concrete. The guy seems to have the same one blank expression throughout the entire movie – hell – even Lassie could out act him.

THREE STARS

Post #: 6
RE: WORTH A LOOK..... - 4/1/2013 7:05:56 AM   
Phubbs

The Man with the Iron Fists

Do you like homages to the old cheesy classic martial arts films of the 70/80's? lots of frenzied fighting with bones snapping and blades swishing? did you like 'Kill Bill'? then this might be for you. Presented by the man himself Quentin Tarantino you might be thinking this will be ultra cool, well you would be wrong, unless of course you love this kinda stuff.

Quite simply this is another modern day homage to all those old Bruce Lee type kung fu movies (various classic scenes copied in this film), not just his movies but lots of various classic martial arts action flicks. The plot is your typical cliched revenge/fighting clans idea with huge amounts of overblown, ridiculously gory violence, bad hyper looking martial arts fight sequences, lots of bad extreme looking wire work, silly weaponry, silly looking characters with silly names and its all created in that retro 70's style.

Of course I can't rip on the film too much as you know what your getting into when you see the film. There is no beating around the bush or hiding from what this film is going for, it does exactly what it says on the tin and this is delivering super sonic bad assery.

My issue is the film isn't really a very good homage/film nor is the bad assery...errr bad ass. The whole thing looks pretty shabby frankly, there is no originality here and nothing particularly interesting as we've seen this type of thing all before. I don't really see why this went ahead, the whole thing is so corny and predictable, yes I know its suppose to be but I don't see that as an excuse.

The director gave himself the leading role for flips sake despite the fact he can't act or narrate dialog a tall. The rest of the cast and their acting is dreadful (not that I expected anything award winning) accept for Crowe who roars away as he does, dunno why he agreed to be in this though. His knife gun weapon thing looks completely out of place amongst all the ninja-like warfare going on around him.

There is this whole uneasy balance of real time action and fantasy which I didn't really like and I don't think it works. I realize Eastern films enjoy this stuff and it can add to the visuals but you never saw Lee resorting to shit like that. All the crazy ass wire work with people flying around doing super human things and then there's the big muscly guy who's skin turns into metal when attacked...huh?. So how come he has tattoo's...ah who cares.

It all looks bright and dynamic with good sets and they have recreated the retro look well, credits included. A kind of love child spawning from 'Kill Bill' and 'Big Trouble in Little China', yet so violent and claret heavy it becomes more of a spoof lacking any real tension. Thing is the action doesn't even look that good, more cheap n tacky, at least 'Kill Bill' was super slick, hell one of the films main characters turns into 'Jax' outta 'Mortal Kombat' for pete's sake! and that's the main plot!. It also begs the question...if your forearms were made out of iron surely they would be too heavy to move? very slow going, and why would that enable you to punch through walls and other metal objects?.

Its hard to review films like this really, its a homage to a certain genre which is suppose to be cheesy and kinda tacky looking. You can't take it seriously because of course its not meant to be taken seriously, on the other hand it is semi serious with its action and plot. I just wish they had cut down on the awful wire work and lost the character with metal skin, that guy really unbalances the whole thing. The fantasy doesn't really bond with the semi serious mega violence in my opinion, its just an awkward cocktail.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 7
- 24/1/2013 2:08:15 PM   
bigdog1000

I have to agree with other reviews of this. This is a terrible terrible film. Dont waste money or time on this. And what the fuck russell crowe is doing in it is anyones guess

Post #: 8
"So, how does a man with your obvious skill end up... - 5/11/2013 11:19:25 AM   
movienut707

A mind-numbingly repetitive excuse for a martial-arts movie, The Man With The Iron Fists has but one thing working in its favor: a well-meaning Russell Crowe, whose incongruous presence, oddly enough, serves only to make this even more maddening.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 5/11/2013 1:15:06 PM >

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Man With The Iron Fists Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI