Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Emotive And Beautifully Staged

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Emotive And Beautifully Staged Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Emotive And Beautifully Staged - 17/1/2013 4:48:27 PM   
blaud

Not being familiar with the story or the music of Les Mis, I was greatly anticipating going to see this and adding another slice of culture to myself. The film itself is well realized, with some exceptional cinematography and direction. Tom Hooper is fast making a name for himself in terms of his filmic direction and his style. The off-centre mid range camera shots he swears by suit the tone of this film perfectly, and there's even some impressive long takes during some of the slower songs. As most people are aware, the songs were sang live my the actors and not mimed, as is usually the case. This definitely creates a more firmly established sense of intimacy, in comparison to, say, Schumacher's The Phantom Of The Opera, or Burton's Sweeney Todd. This captures certain moments of despair perfectly, most notably in 'I Dreamed A Dream', where Anne Hathoway bares her soul in a beautiful and emotional long take. Vocally, all the performers do well, with the notable exception of Russell Crowe, who was clearly chosen for his acting ability rather than his singing voice. This is understandable, as he does portray the character semi-decently. It's just unfortunate that his tone is completely flat throughout the whole film. Elsewhere, the film looks sumptuous. Baron Cohen and Bonham Carter provide the comic relief, Jackman supplies the moody, and the group of young actors playing the French resistance are excellent. Unfortunately, however, it does wallow a little in its' own emotion and multiple times throughout I found myself wondering whether the long contemplative leaps were there to wring as many tears as they could out of audience's red-raw eyes. I'm sure for many, however, this won't be such a problem, and in conclusion, it's a wonderful film with spectacular setpieces, memorable characters, and phenomenal music. (yes, even if you don't like musicals)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: NO WAY HELEN O HARA THIS IS FIVE STARS! - 17/1/2013 5:10:26 PM   
squeezyrider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

I have to be honest; if I hear one more fucking trendy jackass refer to this as "Lez Miz" I will break their teeth.

I call it that because Tubbs does in the League of Gentlemen. I always say it in the same way as well.

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 62
I thought this was ace! - 18/1/2013 10:57:57 AM   
FaudeCarfilhiot

This is not the kind of movie I normally choose to see. At three hours, it's a commitment to sit through, it's serious in content, not something to take on lightly.

But... 'Avengers: Assemble' gets a five star review. And two movies I walked out of get the same four stars as this. So, at the end of the day, you take the movie as you found it, not going by what a movie reviewer tells you. (You can't tell me that Miike Takashi's stuff is worth watching - it just ain't!)

Russell Crowe sings about as well as your next door neighbour. But he really seems torn, as Javert holds to the letter of the law, only to realize in the final act by doing so he is persecuting a good man. He wrings a bit of sympathy for a character you spend most of the movie booing and hissing. Well done, Rusty old son!
Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway have the art of singing while their character comes apart down to a fine (believable) art!

This is what it is. And that is a bloody good cinematic reworking of a great musical. But if that ain't your thing, there'll be another CG Pixar movie at a multi-plex near you soon!

Post #: 63
RE: Les Mis - 19/1/2013 4:20:55 PM   
timgowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

NO WAY HELEN O

Jeez, give the caps lock a break

quote:

This unaccountably favourable reception seems odd initially. Compare the response to Les Miserables to the mediocre reception that greeted the 2004 film version of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom Of The Opera, which was also based on a well known book that has been adapted for the screen many times. Now musical fans can argue as to which musical is superior, and I would probably say that the Schonberg, Boublil and Natel production has the edge at least musically, where it’s more diverse and sophisticated, but the differing critical responses to the films seemed to be very odd. I say seemed, because then I realised that Les Miserables is directed by a guy who made a film about a person overcoming a disability and the royal family, two subjects which, combined, are bound to have critics falling over themselves to praise it regardless of how good the film really is, while The Phantom Of The Opera is directed by Joel Schumacher, whose films, while being diverse in nature and subject matter, just don’t appeal to those folk who tell us which films are good and which films aren’t, despite the fact that any one of his films shows more directorial competence in one scene than virtually the whole of Les Miserables.

This is manifestly untrue. The Phantom adaptation was essentially a translation of the stage production to the screen. The adaptation of Les Miserables has turned the story inwards and got closer to the characters. So, for example, Valjean can whisper "I'm Jean Valjean" instead of belting the roof off the theatre. And as he's struggling with what the Bishop has done for him he focuses on religious imagery which at the time bewilders him because he's been broken by the system for doing an act of goodness.

And all that returns at the re-designed end of the film.

The story has been subtly changed for the better by the film and that is why people like it. Plus more people use social networking and the internet to share their views which is why there's been a whole lot more positive word on this. So whilst this might annoy you it's not anyone's fault.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 64
Very Miserable! - 19/1/2013 6:52:25 PM   
J_BUltimatum

I was really looking forward to this and hoped that Hooper might of done something better than the mediocre King's Speech. BUT, and this is a huge BUT, the film is dreadful! Hooper's need to include the chorus from Oliver Twist (thought this was France not merry old England) really got on my nerves. But none more so than the directing (I love the stage show) and thought this would be a great chance for someone to expand that and give us a little more look into French History. But no. Opening sequence aside we get a lot of head shots and that is pretty much it. If I wanted that I would have stuck a slideshow of IMDB headshots on my laptop and stuck on the soundtrack. Now the soundtrack is good and I can take nothing away from the performances of Wolverine, Maximus and Catwoman. However, they are let down by poor direction and a lackluster supporting cast. Words really can't describe how let down I was of this film and I would only ever give this one star because I feel sorry for the three I mentioned earlier!

Post #: 65
Emotionally exhausting - 22/1/2013 4:51:21 PM   
howiet1971

I am NOT a fan of many musicals. Those I do like tend to be quite quirky (Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Rocky Horror) or classics (such as Sound of music, Grease, even Evita).
During the first few minutes I thought I was going to have to walk out, but stunning visuals won me over, beating the unremarkable live vocals . Then, during Anne Hathways prositute tranformation and her UNBELIEVABLY emotional rendition of I dreamed a dream, I was hooked.
I found this film incredibly emotional, enthralling and almost depressing, but just when you think you can't bear the pain anymore, in waltzes Sascha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter, who both add a much needed laugh.
I didn't expect to enjoy this, or even like it to be honest, but it got me straight through the heart. The other 2 people I went with also loved it.

Post #: 66
- 22/1/2013 6:53:16 PM   
danfacey711

I think a lot of people went in to see this film with extremely high expectations as it had a massively famous ensemble and was dubbed 'the movie event of the year' but didn't know much about the story of the piece, therefore instantly criticising the film to be relentlessly sad. I thought this film was very good in parts but didn't give a refreshing take on the classics. The four stars are for Jackman, Hathaway and the French Revolutionists performances as well as the look of the film. I felt the direction was good but was let down by the lack of artistic style. For me, Crowe partly ruined the film for me as myself (along with half the cinema) cringed every time he opened his mouth but overall a good adaptation of a difficult play and a lengthly novel.

Post #: 67
Just put me out of my Les Misery - 22/1/2013 11:01:29 PM   
mngarside24

Yesterday evening I had the misfortune of going to watch Les Miserables, my first mistake, with my girlfriend, my second mistake. I have never been to see the stage show however I have read articles about it being popular and it's apparently one of the longest standing musicals in the West End so it was inevitable that award hungry producers would adapt it for the screens. After forking out an extortionate £9.50 on a ticket and an extra £4.20 for a medium mixture of sweet and salted popcorn, I took my position amongst the middle aged plump single office working females in the Picture House in Clapham and awaited the start of the film.
I was initially impressed by the scale of the film and the interesting scope of the visuals from something that has been adapted from the stage to screen. As expected Hugh Jackman was well good so let's leave that there. The introduction of Hathaway was equally as spectacular but having no idea of the plot, I was expecting some form of blossoming romance to kindle between these two established stars with the odd sing song to keep the women and gays in the audience happy. Instead what I got was Catwoman dreaming a dream of having a 10 year old boys haircut then popping her clogs 10 minutes into the film! This meant I had to spend the remaining 6 hours and 50 minutes of the film enduring the absence of the main reason I wanted to see this weepy turdfest in the first place and watching an absurd array of uncharismatic extras from Oliver building a tower from leftovers at IKEA.
I didn't really understand what else happened in the film but for some reason it seemed that the fat bloke from Gladiator spent 7 hours hunting down Wolverine because he stole his breakfast one morning and then when he realised he wouldn't get his loaf of bread back he decided it was time to move on with his career and audition for the new ITV reality show SPLASH! with disastrous consequences. Then a few minutes later Hugh snuffed it too for absolutely

Post #: 68
RE: Very Miserable! - 23/1/2013 8:21:36 PM   
hype

quote:

ORIGINAL: J_BUltimatum

Hooper's need to include the chorus from Oliver Twist (thought this was France not merry old England) really got on my nerves.

Did I miss this? Or have I missed a joke?

(in reply to J_BUltimatum)
Post #: 69
RE: Just put me out of my Les Misery - 23/1/2013 9:09:49 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: mngarside24

Yesterday evening I had the misfortune of going to watch Les Miserables, my first mistake, with my girlfriend, my second mistake. I have never been to see the stage show however I have read articles about it being popular and it's apparently one of the longest standing musicals in the West End so it was inevitable that award hungry producers would adapt it for the screens. After forking out an extortionate £9.50 on a ticket and an extra £4.20 for a medium mixture of sweet and salted popcorn, I took my position amongst the middle aged plump single office working females in the Picture House in Clapham and awaited the start of the film.
I was initially impressed by the scale of the film and the interesting scope of the visuals from something that has been adapted from the stage to screen. As expected Hugh Jackman was well good so let's leave that there. The introduction of Hathaway was equally as spectacular but having no idea of the plot, I was expecting some form of blossoming romance to kindle between these two established stars with the odd sing song to keep the women and gays in the audience happy. Instead what I got was Catwoman dreaming a dream of having a 10 year old boys haircut then popping her clogs 10 minutes into the film! This meant I had to spend the remaining 6 hours and 50 minutes of the film enduring the absence of the main reason I wanted to see this weepy turdfest in the first place and watching an absurd array of uncharismatic extras from Oliver building a tower from leftovers at IKEA.
I didn't really understand what else happened in the film but for some reason it seemed that the fat bloke from Gladiator spent 7 hours hunting down Wolverine because he stole his breakfast one morning and then when he realised he wouldn't get his loaf of bread back he decided it was time to move on with his career and audition for the new ITV reality show SPLASH! with disastrous consequences. Then a few minutes later Hugh snuffed it too for absolutely

It is a film called The Miserables. Hardly likely to be a feelgood film.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to mngarside24)
Post #: 70
RE: Just put me out of my Les Misery - 23/1/2013 9:22:55 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

I know humour is subjective, but these gags are kinda lame.

(in reply to mngarside24)
Post #: 71
RE: Just put me out of my Les Misery - 23/1/2013 9:36:33 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

And since when is Russell Crowe fat?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 72
RE: Just put me out of my Les Misery - 23/1/2013 10:49:40 PM   
AxlReznor

Newsflash... film called Les Miserables is not happy! (You'd think the clue would be in the title, but the amount of people I've heard complaining that it's depressing is astounding).

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 73
RE: Just put me out of my Les Misery - 23/1/2013 11:52:32 PM   
Hood_Man

Does anyone else immediately think of Russell Crowe & Tugger "Fightin' Around the World," when they see how Javert is dressed when he infiltrates the barricade?

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 74
RE: Just put me out of my Les Misery - 24/1/2013 8:30:03 AM   
AxlReznor

I dunno about that, but I thought of Thunderbirds when I saw what he was wearing in the first scene.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 75
RE: Just put me out of my Les Misery - 24/1/2013 8:30:29 AM   
hype

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Aren't they just. To be fair I think the OP realised and just gave up writing mid sentence.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 76
Agree - 24/1/2013 11:18:23 PM   
tysmuse

Never seen Les Mis in any medium before. Quite enjoyed it. Agree with the comments that the closing stages are drawn out, it definitely loses something in the final act. Thought Jackman and Hathaway were both superb. Crowe, bit iffy. It's clear that he has to concentrate so much on singing that his acting/performance is a bit one-note. But overall, decent.

Post #: 77
RE: Agree - 26/1/2013 1:31:30 PM   
boaby

Revolution is futile, life outwith the Bourgeois is hopeless, until the faithful assemble on a heavenly barricade for no reason.

A lesson for contemporary life.

The rich will win, those working for the rich to maintain the status quo will end up as broken as those they crush, the poor will get poorer, upon adolescent defeat the middle-class socialists will return to their well-to-do houses to live conventionally and reflect romantically on their naive youth when they had things resembling principles.

But, fear not you down-trodden chattle of the wealth creators. Put your faith in religion and you'll win in the end. (Disclaimer: heaven may not exist)

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 78
Zzzzzzz - 29/1/2013 3:18:09 PM   
Shaun666

Generally not a fan of musicals and this did nothing to chnage my opinion. Dull and far too long (after an hour I was wondering how much longer it still had to go) with mostly unmemorable songs and a style of filming (camera shoved right into singer's face) that was annoying I have no desire to ever see it again. Still not as bad as Lincoln though !

Post #: 79
RE: Zzzzzzz - 30/1/2013 10:24:07 AM   
Sinatra

Mad, mad, mad plot, boring music, too long, but, very well acted by everybody... especially Crowe, Hathaway and the amazing Jackman. Just a shame they are all in this story/movie together... very disappointing.

(in reply to Shaun666)
Post #: 80
RE: Zzzzzzz - 30/1/2013 11:50:14 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Mad, mad, mad plot, boring music, too long, but, very well acted by everybody... especially Crowe, Hathaway and the amazing Jackman. Just a shame they are all in this story/movie together... very disappointing.

It's probably just because you're unfamiliar with it.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 81
RE: Zzzzzzz - 5/2/2013 9:42:54 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

It's probably just because you're unfamiliar with it.

Somebody else said that, but I'm not so sure.... I love the main song, but the rest was pretty shite.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 82
Truly Miserable - 17/2/2013 7:18:37 AM   
Dillon the Villain

How this has won awards and praise is beyond me. I was bored for the most part (Anne Hathaway was superb, as was At the end of the Day, and the wonderful Gavroche). But this is a musical and the singing (even Hugh Jackman who had - past tense - a fabulous voice) is dreadful. I could not get past Russel Crowe- who's daft idea was it to cast this block of wood with a truly TERRIBLE voice in the key role of Javert? He simply ruined the whole thing, and every song - even the glorious Stars were so bad they were almost funny - but sadly not. Eddie Redmayne was too fragile and Amanda Seyfried sounded like she was in a school show. Samantha Barks did a plausible job as Eponine but SBC and HBC were just silly as the malicious Thernadiers. The filming was inconsistent - close ups were effective but was the budget slashed for the big scenes? Tiny theatrical sets and then huge sweeping cityscapes? No, I was not persuaded. I'll stick to the stage show - far more impressing, stirring and moving than this disappointing effort.

Post #: 83
- 22/2/2013 9:49:12 PM   
TheGodfather

Les Misérables
Sometimes there are those films that don`t require a long review. Those films that you can just describe with a few words, who have enough with only a few lines. Les Misérables is one of those films.
Brilliant from start to finish, this. There`s almost no talking in the entire film, just singing. The special thing is that everything that you see and hear was sang live during the shoot. That gives it something extra.
The sets are gorgeous, the songs are beautifully song (except for that weird voice of Russel Crowe), the camera work is amazing, the whole is gripping from start to finish.
Already one of the highlights of the year.

9,5/10

Post #: 84
RE: - 2/3/2013 12:57:46 AM   
LEEJGM

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

Les Misérables
Sometimes there are those films that don`t require a long review. Those films that you can just describe with a few words, who have enough with only a few lines. Les Misérables is one of those films.
Brilliant from start to finish, this. There`s almost no talking in the entire film, just singing. The special thing is that everything that you see and hear was sang live during the shoot. That gives it something extra.
The sets are gorgeous, the songs are beautifully song (except for that weird voice of Russel Crowe), the camera work is amazing, the whole is gripping from start to finish.
Already one of the highlights of the year.

9,5/10

This.

I absolutely loved it and so did the wife. I'm not a really a musical or stage show fan although I have seen the stage version. My wife is a big musical and show fan but hasn't seen the show. She was in pieces at the end. This film moved me more than the show, for some reason and I've never fought back sobs (not just tears) in the cinema like I did here. Everyone is brilliant in it, particularly Hathaway and Jackman (my man-crush gets ever stronger on this bloke. Come on Hugh, cheat on your wife or drink and drive or something so I can go off you because it's becoming almost sexual now). I've got the soundtrack of the film on a loop currently and there's something about Crowe's singing that I like. He has the weakest voice but it still works and it isn't deserving of the criticism it has received.
Certainly film of the year for me so far.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 85
RE: RE: - 2/3/2013 1:32:34 AM   
Whistler

Well I saw it for the third time and I just balled my eyes out again. I've enjoyed it more with every viewing, and the little things that I thought didn't work so well the first time seem to have disappeared. Just a phenomenal experience.

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 86
went to see this film with extremely high expectation - 23/7/2013 2:11:35 AM   
ommrudraksha

I went to see this film with extremely high expectation

Post #: 87
- 17/10/2013 7:58:57 PM   
Darren47

It's one heck of a movie for sure. but the problem with this film is that there a some scene's than hit it out of the park. (the "I Dreamed A Dream" scene is an instant classic)
And there are some scene's that crashes flat on it face (the 2 scene's with Russell Crowe only was torture) But you cant stop routing for Hugh Jackman. who's great in the film.

Post #: 88
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Emotive And Beautifully Staged Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI