Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Visiting university lectures without permission

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Visiting university lectures without permission Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Visiting university lectures without permission - 10/12/2012 8:01:36 PM   
Goodfella

My university had no security sense whatsoever, the "security guards" they employed, most of which couldn't speak any English, were either asleep when you entered a building or getting a cup of coffee, or simply not there. Only the library was properly secured. Our Media Studies department had over 6,000 worth of equipment stolen in my final year due to the fact that on three seperate occasions people were able to walk in off the streets and walk out with a camera set under their arm, although the office also wasn't locked which said a lot about the technicians running that department.

I went to other friends lectures and some of the big lectures where the lecturers didn't even know the names of their most regular students, so to be honest if you played it cool, had a vague interest in the subject and owned a notepad and a pen you could probably have gone in and gotten away with it.

My university occupied listed buildings as well where a number of films, including The Duchess, The Wolfman and Sherlock Holmes, were filmed. Even when Kiera Knightley and Johnny Depp were there the security was still shit.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 31
RE: Visiting university lectures without permission - 10/12/2012 11:10:32 PM   
FritzlFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Indeed, student fees aren't used entirely for teaching but that's because student's are paying for an experience and not just a degree. I think this has always been the case but has become more prominent (with more funds invested into things other than research) over the last five years due to a number of factors including:

1) The economic downturn has changed the perception of a degree in that it has to lead to something ie a job. A degree has market value, and has been on top of the agenda in recent years. Universities have had to cater to this new need by investing more in links to employers. It's such a shame though because now students aren't doing a degree to broaden their intellectual capacity, but as a means to get a job.

2) The National Student Survey was introduced about 6 years ago and universities have realised that they have to do well on this to secure higher student recruitment. As a result, more resources have been put in to enhance the student experience and make them feel they are at home at their university.

The NSS is nonsense though - there have been plenty of cases where students have been told to give positive feedback so the value of their degree would 'increase' in future years with an improvement in the university's reputation. League tables are bollocks but I really don't think student satisfaction ratings should be incorporated.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 32
RE: Visiting university lectures without permission - 11/12/2012 7:29:01 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'm on the side that questions the value of the NSS tbh - did you read Mary Beard's recent piece on it?

I'm not sure many Russell Group universities structure the teaching fee/grant allocation in quite that way. And in many of them funding for teaching has the perception of being quite tight which, frankly, it shouldn't be. Years ago I took oversight on the first couple of years of the Transparency Review and I wasn't overly impressed with the figures I saw or the use of funding.

No I didn't, do you know where it is on the internet?

I like to think the NSS is important because it places the student and their needs at the forefront of a university's agenda (as well as creating a job for me). Research is important, no doubt about it, but it is the student that helps fund this and it frustrates me when some academics don't want to engage with trying to get students to go to their university because after all, students are the source of the majority of their funding.

FritzlFan, I don't think your example is the case for the majority though. Even though you think it's a joke, a lot of prospective students don't and use it to gauge if they will like the university. It is only open to students in their final year and is their chance to complain/praise their uni nationally and thus universities (at least in my experience) endeavour to make sure that students' needs are addressed throughout their degree and in order to do this universities invest more of their resources into it.

Sooooooooooooo off topic. Let's all go to a lecture and steal somone's education! Bunch of mavericks we are!

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 33
RE: Visiting university lectures without permission - 11/12/2012 10:30:28 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powka

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has ever done this - coming into a lecture in the University to listen when one isn't suppose to be there? I know there's a word for it, but I forgot what it is. Oh and especially, if you're not even studying in that University...

Any experiences with this?

It's a really geeky form of sneaking into the cinema without paying.

I was always too busy at uni to go squatting.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Visiting university lectures without permission Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI