Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: No more movie stars?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: No more movie stars? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No more movie stars? - 10/12/2012 9:36:12 AM   
Dannybohy

Is this just another thread to flick your bean over Tom hardy and Bale!. Tom Hardy was great in Bronson and Lawless, hopefully hes just building up to a truly great role!. I think Bale was phenomenal in American Psycho,great in The Machinist, and even good in Harsh Times. What makes those movies different I don't know, just great scripts, Director?. Everything else I've seen him in has left me cold. I like to think Bale has still to play his greatest role.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 31
RE: No more movie stars? - 10/12/2012 10:16:14 AM   
spark1

think the movie star still have value to the studios having seen the trailer for 'oblivion' and hearing that they shut down trafalger sqaure to film cruise in 'all you need is kill'

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 32
RE: No more movie stars? - 10/12/2012 10:47:01 AM   
Dannybohy

There are Movies Stars, and there are great actors. Sometimes movie stars are also great actors.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 33
RE: No more movie stars? - 10/12/2012 2:40:25 PM   
Invader_Ace

Powka, you seem to be under the impression that when Sam Raimi says "This time with better acting!" he is being serious.
Maybe it would help if you at least tried to qualify what you mean by GOOD ACTING instead of just shooting every post down with those words.  Also, you might want at least explain how being good at acting  is different or at least part of being a Movie Star. As this is what you originally asked about.  So are you sad that there are no great movie stars with secret glamourous lives or that there are no good actors or both?

As someone pointed out earlier, this just seems to be you going "New stuff is rubbish!  I like the new stuff that was new when I was young.  Y'know, old stuff!"

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 34
RE: No more movie stars? - 10/12/2012 3:33:22 PM   
Whistler

I agree, I think your definition of a "movie star" is a bit ambiguous. I can understand part of what you're saying, but I don't wholly understand your reasons for no current actors being said "movie stars".

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 35
RE: No more movie stars? - 10/12/2012 4:48:44 PM   
Discodez

I think there's a world of difference between a "Movie Star" and a good film actor. Arnold Schwarzenegger is a great movie star but the guy can't act for shit. Bruce Willis and Sly Stallone are probably two who are great movie stars who can, when called upon, display some good acting skills too.

In recent times though I'd struggle to think of any simmilar types. I wouldn't put Fassbender or Waltz or Garfield in that bracket either, they have all put in some brilliant performances in recent times, but they really are actors with a decent range.

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 36
RE: No more movie stars? - 11/12/2012 9:14:24 AM   
Coyleone

Wow. Completely disagree with Powka about Gosling in Drive. Fantastic performance, powerful without actually doing much and the ability to portray so much with one look or glance. For me, he's the best actor of the new generation of stars. Closely followed by Hrady, Fassbender and Gordon Levitt. I guess we just saw that performance completely differently. I mean, I imagine someone else in that role and the film wouldn't be as good, but it seems you think the opposite. I'd say Gosling a great 'movie star' and not just a 'good actor'.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 37
RE: No more movie stars? - 12/12/2012 10:08:45 AM   
Chronicle

I think it's a matter of time. We consider people to be 'movie stars' when they've already established a pretty impressive carreer. A lot of these young actors will probably have the 'movie star' reputation in 30 years or so..
Post #: 38
RE: No more movie stars? - 12/12/2012 10:23:05 AM   
spark1

being involved in a franchise muddies the waters about whether some current actors really are movie stars.

cruise, smith and hanks are successful in a range of movies.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 13/12/2012 10:20:47 AM >

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 39
RE: No more movie stars? - 12/12/2012 9:45:41 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Boy A and Never Let Me Go suggest otherwise. I also thought he was very good in Social Network. It's a shame he's going to be bogged down doing Spider-Man films now really because I think he's shown himself to be a better character actor than a leading man up to now.

It does NOT suggest otherwise. To you, maybe. Watch some films with decent acting, and pay attention to the ACTING only (not the film as a whole), maybe you'll change your mind.

But all acting is subjective.

Take Hathaway, who's been mentioned. I really, really, don't rate her as an actress, but plenty of others do. I find her performances dull. But that's because, for some reason and I'm not sure why, quality of acting is subjective (now that could be an interesting discussion). The actors I rate highly are not the actors that others rate highly.

One man's Brando (Acting God) is another man's Brando (overhyped ham).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powka

Generally, TV IS lesser than Film. And it's not up for debate, it's common notion. However, I wouldn't consider Boy A to be in that category, as you said yourself, it's a TV movie that got a US theatrical release. But the award is less meaningful, than BAFTA Film, yes. Same as Emmy is less meaningful than an Oscar.

Yet awards are no marker of talent - take Gary Oldman, or Guy Pearce, or Julianne Moore. Three of the most talented people to appear in films. None of them have an Oscar. And Oldman has only ever recieved one nomination, despite often being hailed as one of the Greatest Living Actors.

And TV is just as "worthy" as film. And what about stage? Some of the greatest performances that I've ever seen have been on stage, but certain actors don't do film. Just because it's not on the silver screen, that doesn't make it less impressive.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 40
RE: No more movie stars? - 13/12/2012 12:21:49 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

I think it's a matter of time. We consider people to be 'movie stars' when they've already established a pretty impressive carreer. A lot of these young actors will probably have the 'movie star' reputation in 30 years or so..

i am not sure the current intake of younglings have that kind of staying power.

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 41
RE: No more movie stars? - 13/12/2012 1:12:43 PM   
blackduck

While there are plenty of great actors around now, very few of them would be true movie stars.
For me a movie star is someone who's very presence in the film elevates it.
Or to put in in cynical terms someone who can open a movie.

One of the better examples of this in Runaway Bride, the movie itself is a totally harmless average romcom. Yet Julia Roberts and Richard Gere made it far better than it should be. I guess the true test for a movie star is can they carry an average movie on thier own. Can't think of any young actor that can.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 42
RE: No more movie stars? - 13/12/2012 1:22:03 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247
But all acting is subjective.

Completely with you there, and completely understand where you're coming from - for example I can't see what all the fuss is about with Marion Cotillard. She almost completely ruined both Inception and DKR for me (conversely, I thought Anne Hathaway was great in it) and I've not seen a single film she's been in where I thought she was anything other than mediocre (admittedly I've not seen La vie en rose or Rust and Bone, but that's just two of eleven or so films of hers I have seen). But the press and most audiences seem to think she's amazing.

I've picked her specifically because I'm not talking about "star power", i.e. Tom Hanks, who clearly isn't a great actor (and I personally can't stomach to watch 99% of the stuff he's in, just for the fact that he's in it), but who admittedly has masses of star power. I'm merely addressing your "acting is subjective" quote, but leaving aside obvious "stars" who are stars for the sake of it. Or something.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 43
RE: No more movie stars? - 13/12/2012 1:26:56 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

While there are plenty of great actors around now, very few of them would be true movie stars.
For me a movie star is someone who's very presence in the film elevates it.
Or to put in in cynical terms someone who can open a movie.

One of the better examples of this in Runaway Bride, the movie itself is a totally harmless average romcom. Yet Julia Roberts and Richard Gere made it far better than it should be. I guess the true test for a movie star is can they carry an average movie on thier own. Can't think of any young actor that can.

Robert Pattinson in Cosmopolis.Without his performance I would have gave up on that film long before the ending.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 44
RE: No more movie stars? - 13/12/2012 1:42:55 PM   
AxlReznor

I don't think there are any movie stars currently (other than the ones that existed already). And with my definition of "movie star", I think the world of cinema is all the better for it.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: No more movie stars? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI