Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The first film you ever attended on your own?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 8:05:19 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I've been dying to see Dogs and Pulp Fiction in the cinema for years, just haven't had the chance yet...

Pulp Fiction was the first 18 film I saw in the cinema when I turned 18 (it was released about two weeks after my birthday). The Crow was the first 18 I saw in the cinema before I turned 18.

It was impossible for me to try and get into a film for which I was underage. I remember trying to get in to see Reservoir Dogs with a bunch of friends, some were 16, some (including myself) were 17. I was one of two who weren't let in, and we were the two oldest in the group. The humiliation was palpable. On reflection I probably looked about twelve.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 31
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 8:06:23 PM   
galvatron

Runaway Train, 2010. Saw it in Santa Cruz California while I was waiting for the hostel to open and it was pissing it down outside so I thought it was a good way to kill time!

Post #: 32
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 8:07:43 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

I've been dying to see Dogs and Pulp Fiction in the cinema for years, just haven't had the chance yet...

Pulp Fiction was the first 18 film I saw in the cinema when I turned 18 (it was released about two weeks after my birthday). The Crow was the first 18 I saw in the cinema before I turned 18.

It was impossible for me to try and get into a film for which I was underage. I remember trying to get in to see Reservoir Dogs with a bunch of friends, some were 16, some (including myself) were 17. I was one of two who weren't let in, and we were the two oldest in the group. The humiliation was palpable. On reflection I probably looked about twelve.

I never even got the chance unfortunately; I'm one of the younger ones on these forums. Although funnily enough QT was my first 18 in the cinema when I was 18, with Inglourious Basterds.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 33
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 8:10:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

I can't explain how I got in to see The Crow, I've never looked older than my age, I still don't, apparently. I just put it down to the staff in the (now defunct) Odeon in Glasgow being really shit at their jobs

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 34
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 8:16:45 PM   
horribleives

The first 18 I ever saw at the pictures was Goodfellas when I was 13. Not that I looked even vaguely like an 18 year old at the time - I saw it at the long gone Wallaw in Blyth which was well-known for basically letting anyone in. My mate had seen one of the crap Elm Street sequels there earlier that year so we chanced our arm and to my amazement the old dear in the box-office let us in. Can't say it was the most enjoyable experience - I spent the whole film shitting myself the bizzies were gonna turn up and turf us out and I was so disturbed by the opening scene I lost track of the plot for the first half hour.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 35
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 8:33:55 PM   
Spectre

My first 18 was Dead Man's Shoes shortly after my eighteenth birthday. I went on my own of course.

I didn't even try to get into an 18 certificate before being old enough. I got asked for ID in HMV last year when I bought the Exorcist on Bluray... I'm 25 now!

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 36
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 8:41:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

This is off topic but I got ID'd in America when I tried to buy cigs. I was 27!

It made me think that Americans must be very easily fooled when someone around 30 plays a teen in a TV show or movie.

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 37
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 9:10:45 PM   
Whistler

quote:

It made me think that Americans must be very easily fooled when someone around 30 plays a teen in a TV show or movie.

That's mental. My Dad told me one time when he was in Boston he got ID'd buying liquor and he was in his 30s.

Eddy's Film Review

Post #: 38
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 9:19:55 PM   
Shifty Bench

Now that is mental.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 39
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 9:30:02 PM   
Scruffybobby

The first 18 film I saw at the cinema was if I remember correctly The Silence of The Lambs I would have been 16. The first I saw when I was 18 was probably Single White Female.

I've never been ID'd for anything.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 9/12/2012 9:32:19 PM >

I want to taste you like yogurt.

Post #: 40
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 9:46:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

Neither have I.....in this country

And I must say, I didn't get the cigs (they weren't for me anyway, I don't smoke), I had to get an 'adult' to get them.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 9/12/2012 9:47:13 PM >

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 41
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 10:09:33 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

That's mental. My Dad told me one time when he was in Boston he got ID'd buying liquor and he was in his 30s.

I got I'd in Chicago when I tried to buy a beer whilst seeing a baseball game at Wrigley Park.

I was 37 at the time.

At that age, I just wanted to kiss the woman who asked me for ID...

Say what now?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 42
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 10:16:00 PM   
Spectre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

I got I'd in Chicago when I tried to buy a beer whilst seeing a baseball game at Wrigley Park.

I was 37 at the time.

At that age, I just wanted to kiss the woman who asked me for ID...

Yeah, I tend to take it as compliment too.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 43
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 9/12/2012 10:19:55 PM   
kakuru

First film I saw on my own was 3 Ninja Kids. Thought it was so good I went and saw it for a second time. I was 11 and had yet to develop taste.......

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 44
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 10/12/2012 9:31:26 AM   
Brundlesflies

I think the first film I saw on my own (think it was also my first 18) was Return of the Living Dead. I would have been about 16 I guess. It was the first of a wave of '80's horror/zombie flicks I saw at the cinema, usually on my own, as I had free period from college on a Friday afternoon and used to nip into the local ABC. I saw Re-Animator, Day of the Dead & Evil Dead 2 (among others) that year.... great days

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to kakuru)
Post #: 45
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 10/12/2012 12:58:57 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

Batman Returns, aged 13, saw up a girl's skirt on the bus home, covered erection with a pile of comics. A good day.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 46
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 10/12/2012 1:28:33 PM   
Super Hans

Completely alone? I mine was The Brady Bunch Movie! My parents and sister went to watch something else - some Disney cartoon/re-release maybe and I didn't fancy it so watched that instead!

Maybe not the coolest example in the thread but it was a fairly funny film - pretty well done as far as those kind of oldie TV remakes go.

To be fair I think there have only ever been two - the other was Kill Bill Vol 2.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 47
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 10/12/2012 2:23:33 PM   
MattTheBadger

I think the answer is 'Event Horizon'... Had the day off work, knew that my then girlfriend (now wife) had no truck with sci-fi/horror things so off I went. I think I ate Doritos.

That's probably the only explanation I can give for the soft spot I maintain for 'Event Horizon' to this day. In layman's terms.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 48
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 10/12/2012 8:44:53 PM   
AngryDude92

The first film I saw alone was The White Ribbon beacuse nowon would come with me, which is serpricing because nothing screems great time at the cinema like black and white German film about creepy kids.
In general I don't go the pictures alone sinece my brother turned 15, (there are few 18s released that I want to go and see.
The first 18 I saw was Taxi Driver, it looked wonderful.

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to MattTheBadger)
Post #: 49
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 10/12/2012 9:39:31 PM   
rich

I think the Proposition, with Guy Pierce and John Hurt. I was 20 at the time if that is important...

Empty day time cinemas are actually pretty relaxing.

< Message edited by rich -- 10/12/2012 9:40:10 PM >

Weekend write-ups

Post #: 50
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 11/12/2012 1:32:08 AM   
nhassell

The Tree Of Life was the first film I ever saw on my own at the cinema. Not really the sort of film anyone my age (17 at the time) would have really wanted to see. Also saw Drive (no friends old enough at the time) and Carnage (only one ticket left, so just went myself) on my own, but thats been it.

As for seeing films underage, I used to do it all the time. Got in to loads underage at my local Odeon (Saw VI, Inglourious Basterds, Saw 3D, plus many more), but my first was Watchmen at just 15 years old. Had been anticipating it for god knows how long, so was obvisouly devestated when I found out it was an 18 certificate. Went to my local Cineworld on a quiet Sunday morning a week or so after it had opened, and managed to get in with my dad to see it. Still no idea why they let me in, as I looked about 10 at the time.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 51
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 11/12/2012 2:03:28 PM   
Kumadori

For me it would be Pokemon: The First Movie, when I was 14 :)

I went and saw an advance screening at a cinema in Borehamwood. I remember my (very over protective) mum being terrified of me going on my own before I mentioned it was a Pokemon movie and she realised that was probably okay. Ah, the memories.

(in reply to nhassell)
Post #: 52
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 11/12/2012 3:31:42 PM   
Rebel scum

The first film I saw underage was Final Destination 3, a few months before I turned 15. We only tried bluffing our age because they weren't showing The New World.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Kumadori)
Post #: 53
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 11/12/2012 7:10:00 PM   
Zaphod121

I only started going on my own recently, so my first was THOR - only gone a few times on my own since then.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 54
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 11/12/2012 10:47:21 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Fellowship of the Ring. There was a late showing and I was mega stoned. Personally I like company at the cinema. Whether its sharing the excitement in the queue, the enthusiastic discussion regarding the film after, good or bad or just turning to my pal next to me and giving each other that "holy shit, did you see that" look, you don't get that viewing a film alone.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 55
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 13/12/2012 10:15:06 AM   
spark1

'raiders of the lost ark'

Post #: 56
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 13/12/2012 1:02:15 PM   
great_badir

I've only been to the flicks on my own once, and that was for One Day In September. I was 20.

My dad was and most of my friends are big film freaks like me, so a solo trip has never really been a possible option cos someone else usually wants to come and see whatever I'm going to see. One Day In September was pretty unique cos it was only showing in one local cinema for five days only, and I could only make the opening night. Unfortunately my dad was at work and my friends were also already booked up with one thing and another, but I really really wanted to see it. So it was just me.

Not that going to the cinema on my own particularly bothers me, it's just never happened apart from that one time.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 57
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 13/12/2012 4:18:53 PM   
pauljthomas

The Legend Of Zorro at a very small multiplex (3 screens). The missus was having hair extensions & instead of reading shitty magazines whilst waiting, I went to the cinema next door. It was Zorro or Nanny McPhee-I stand by my choice

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

Post #: 58
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 13/12/2012 9:51:14 PM   
thedrin

Double bill. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Burton) followed by Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

I was 24 and had to spend 24 hours in Auckland while waiting for a flight back to Europe. I spent a few hours in the afternoon searching for gifts to bring home with me, and then looked for something to do that required no social interactions.

A bad first experience. Both films were disappointments. I hadn't yet realised that Burton is a poor filmmaker and, for some unknown reason, the genius that is Were-Rabbit didn't register on the first viewing.

Post #: 59
RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? - 13/12/2012 10:00:54 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

Double bill. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Burton) followed by Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

I was 24 and had to spend 24 hours in Auckland while waiting for a flight back to Europe. I spent a few hours in the afternoon searching for gifts to bring home with me, and then looked for something to do that required no social interactions.

A bad first experience. Both films were disappointments. I hadn't yet realised that Burton is a poor filmmaker and, for some unknown reason, the genius that is Were-Rabbit didn't register on the first viewing.

Burton's a great filmmaker, he's just made the odd misstep - as most do. At least you realised your mistake with Were-Rabbit, though

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI