Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 10/12/2012 9:46:47 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

So does no one find prank calls funny?

I fail to see what's funny about them, especially ones that are to unsuspecting members of the general public just trying to do their job. What's remotely funny about that?

I think it's like trying to explain a joke; when you try to do it the joke no longer becomes funny. I guess people just find different things funny.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 151
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 10/12/2012 10:31:21 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

quote:

quote:

I fail to see what's funny about them, especially ones that are to unsuspecting members of the general public just trying to do their job. What's remotely funny about that?

I think it's like trying to explain a joke; when you try to do it the joke no longer becomes funny. I guess people just find different things funny.

The thing I don't like about them is that the person on the other side isn't in on the joke and is often made to look stupid by the "prankster". Prank calls are generally just a sneaky and nasty way of getting a cheap laugh. I get why they're meant to be funny. They're just not. There are exceptions There was a one that an Irish station did with a little girl calling and asking a demolitions company to blow up her school, That was actually funny because the people being called obviously knew it was a joke from the start and went along with it. On the whole though they're just not funny. Same goes for shows like Fonejacker and those "hilarious" apps you can get to wind up your friends

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 152
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 10/12/2012 11:21:00 PM   
Hood_Man

The Spartan Bail Bonds calls were funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoKaErC6vmM

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 153
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 12:37:38 AM   
Cruisecontroller

Well we should know after the postmortem findings are made public probably later on today whether it was suicide for sure. I suppose it's possible it wasn't but if so the increased stress this hoax must have caused and her mistake of putting the call through not wanting to question someone she thought might be the Queen would not have helped and also probably made worse any serious medical conditions she would have had.I think there is a good chance either way it could have tipped her over the edge with whatever else was going on in her life.

Those DJ's are going to have to live with that for the rest of their lives and to me it is clear that they never intended to be cruel they along with their radio station didn't think and follow this prank through properly with tragic unforeseen consequences.They should never have pranked a hospital in the first place, should have hung up as soon as the call was put through to the ward and certainly shouldn't have aired it without those who were tricked's permission. They deserved and should have been taken off the air and their media careers are probably over now. However the abuse aimed at them has been way over the top anyone would think that they deliberately planned this outcome and now are just as likely to have a breakdown or worse as her family. Of course her family are the people we should have the most sympathy for and as far as we know the most innocent party here.

I hope the world's media learn from this and never do pranks in this way again. They should always know the medical history of who their tricking that they should be able to physically and mentally handle it, never air anyones private medical information and most of all without the victims consent air the prank. We can only hope lessons will be learned and something like this never happens again plus hopefully that all affected can get the support they need to deal with this.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 154
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 12:50:58 AM   
Cruisecontroller

I just heard the full audio on YouTube they were trying to speak to Kate directly which really was out of order to speak to a sick patient for a laugh and at 5.30am. The impressions were terrible too. I suppose you could argue that around the clock ban on calls about a patients medical condition should have been imposed whoever claims to be on the phone. Well that will certainly happen now.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 155
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 1:16:05 AM   
losthighway

I've seen a couple of interviews tonight on the news with both the DJs and apart from a brief moment of tears I really struggled to see any remorse coming from the male DJ. He just looks like an arrogant c**t tbh. The woman was clearly distraught but the guy came across as almost unapologetic!

Whilst I realise nobody could have foreseen the event that followed and it wasn't done with malice, it still doesn't make what they did any less justifiable as a 'harmless prank'.

< Message edited by losthighway -- 11/12/2012 1:20:12 AM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 156
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 2:21:09 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

I've seen a couple of interviews tonight on the news with both the DJs and apart from a brief moment of tears I really struggled to see any remorse coming from the male DJ. He just looks like an arrogant c**t tbh. The woman was clearly distraught but the guy came across as almost unapologetic!

So are you saying he had to well up in floods of tears before he could earn your sympathy? I'm sorry, but that is utter bullshit & symptomatic of this youtube culture we now live in. Not all human beings operate on simple emotive responses.

Furthermore, this is reaffirming my problem with this situation since it started. That these two have been dished out as the sole figureheads of blame; whilst the producers of the radio station, the hospital management, the television news outlets across the globe & the muppets who ridiculed the duped nurses in front of their computer screens from the comfort of their own homes all take a back seat in the public witch hunt - no doubt crying moral outrage themselves.

They may have made the misguided call, but they didn't turn it into a news story of worldwide proportions - which I'm certain was the straw the broke the camel's back if Jacinta's apparent suicide was related to this situation occurring.

This has left me so disillusioned with how society in the 21st century operates that a part of me hopes that she just died of natural causes. Imagine being inspired to think that? Jesus!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 157
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 10:01:05 AM   
Chief

quote:

I don't mind them. Sometimes they're hit an miss but sometimes they're pretty damn funny. Hearing someone lose the plot completely then laughing when they realise they've been had and, more often than not, set up by a family member.

I'm not really sure what the expected outcome of this of this one was, probably not someone dying though.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 158
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 12:10:35 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fonejacker is genius.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 159
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 12:20:25 PM   
Pigeon Army

Well this is fucking rich - http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/8065358/Grovelling-hoaxers-slammed-by-UK-media

"London's Sun newspaper described the "shamed" pair's apologies as "grovelling".

[...]

The Daily Mail said the two radio hosts escaped a tough grilling on TV, describing as "soft and sympathetic" the line of questioning they faced on Channel Seven's Today Tonight.

"Miss Greig's mascara was running down her face as she tearfully recounted the events that have resulted in both of them being inundated with savage comments about their behaviour," the paper said.

Commentator Richard Littlejohn said: "Until they tried to present themselves as victims, I had a scintilla of sympathy for them.

"But for Michael Christian and Mel Greig to invite the world to share their pain is unforgivable. I'm sure their remorse was sincere. Turning their public apology into a self-indulgent, self-justifying sobfest was, however, utterly nauseating.

"I thought the Aussies were made of stronger stuff.""

Daily reminder that the Sun is the same magazine that hacked the phone of a missing girl and deleted messages on it, thus giving her family false hope. Butter don't half melt.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 160
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 12:22:51 PM   
matty_b

Urgh.

This whole situation is just becoming one of the most distasteful episodes in recent history.

And considering the shit that's been dragged up about the media this year, that's saying something.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 161
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 12:24:26 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Daily reminder that the Sun is the same magazine that hacked the phone of a missing girl and deleted messages on it

For the sake of accuracy, they didn't delete the messages.. that was done automatically. It was the News of the World too. Just saying.

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 11/12/2012 12:25:29 PM >

Post #: 162
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 12:30:25 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

Daily reminder that the Sun is the same magazine that hacked the phone of a missing girl and deleted messages on it

For the sake of accuracy, they didn't delete the messages.. that was done automatically. It was the News of the World too. Just saying.

I will correct myself - The Sun is the same paper that engaged in phonehacking and that obtained information about Gordon Brown's son's diagnosis of cystic fibrosis and phoned him to tell him not to ruin their exclusive, and was also a member of the news organisation known as NewsCorp that hacked the phone of a missing girl and checked her voicemail.

Of course, that doesn't exactly help it now.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 163
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 12:32:19 PM   
Sinatra

That's much better!

Though to be fair they have denied the Brown allegations and I'm not sure they have been found guilty of phone hacking??

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 11/12/2012 12:36:26 PM >

Post #: 164
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 12:57:50 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

So are you saying he had to well up in floods of tears before he could earn your sympathy? I'm sorry, but that is utter bullshit & symptomatic of this youtube culture we now live in. Not all human beings operate on simple emotive responses.

Furthermore, this is reaffirming my problem with this situation since it started. That these two have been dished out as the sole figureheads of blame; whilst the producers of the radio station, the hospital management, the television news outlets across the globe & the muppets who ridiculed the duped nurses in front of their computer screens from the comfort of their own homes all take a back seat in the public witch hunt - no doubt crying moral outrage themselves.

They may have made the misguided call, but they didn't turn it into a news story of worldwide proportions - which I'm certain was the straw the broke the camel's back if Jacinta's apparent suicide was related to this situation occurring.

This has left me so disillusioned with how society in the 21st century operates that a part of me hopes that she just died of natural causes. Imagine being inspired to think that? Jesus!

Nope. Don't believe I ever said that and I certainly didn't infer it within my comment so apologies if that is how you took it. Nor did I claim the man needed to earn my sympathy, far from it, I was merely passing comment on how he has appeared in the two interviews which were shown on TV yesterday. I have no doubt the prank was done without malice, and nor do I doubt that the other reasons will probably come forth about why the suicide occurred. It seemed such an extreme reaction but neither of these change the fact that Mr Christian really did not come across particularly well considering his actions.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 165
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 1:53:02 PM   
Sinatra

I thought they both looked upset. It's a horrible story and without a doubt they meant no real harm by it. She was obviously a very sensitive woman who probably had other issues.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 166
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 1:54:55 PM   
matty_b

I thought he looked in deep shock, to be honest.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 167
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 2:19:47 PM   
DancingClown

Christ, this is starting to remind me of the McGann thread, remember that train-wreck? "Oh look, she's wearing make-up, she's not crying enough..." etc, etc...

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 168
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 3:18:06 PM   
MonsterCat

People deal with trauma in varying ways. Some crumple under the weight of that trauma and cry constantly, while others tend to internalise it and hold back on the tears.

At the beginning of 2008, I lost my grandmother and then later on that year I lost my step-uncle. The next year I lost my grandfather. On all three occasions I didn't cry and I tended to bundle up those sad feelings and keep them locked away. That's how I decided to deal with those events. Doesn't make me any less human and uncaring about those three family members I lost.

I suspect that's how Michael Christian decided to deal with what is a desperately sad and incredibly fucked-up situation. Maybe he feels the need to be a rock and be brave for his co-host. But that's just a theory. Personally I think it shows an incredible amount of arrogance to immediately leap to a conclusion on how Christian feels and is dealing with the situation.

Honestly, all this moral bandwagon jumping and vilifying these DJs is utterly horrendous.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 11/12/2012 3:20:45 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 169
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 11/12/2012 5:06:15 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

she's not crying enough

She wasn't though was she... and they went jogging thenext day? I mean, who does that on holiday anyway??

Post #: 170
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 12/12/2012 12:36:24 PM   
Shifty Bench

Oh, Morrissey, has nobody been paying you enough attention lately? click

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 171
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 12/12/2012 12:41:47 PM   
DancingClown

He was great in The Smiths but my god he's an ignorant, hipocrite cunt.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 172
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 12/12/2012 12:44:42 PM   
Shifty Bench

Ignorant was exactly my first thought.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 173
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 12/12/2012 2:58:41 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

He was great in The Smiths but my god he's an ignorant, hipocrite cunt.

Indeed, what a hateful little twat of man. Wonder what Piles thinks of this?

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 174
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 12/12/2012 3:36:23 PM   
MonsterCat

Hi-jacking a horrible situation so he can rattle off one of his anti-royal spiels.

You stay classy, Moz.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/12/2012 3:37:54 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 175
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 12/12/2012 3:42:00 PM   
sanchia

Does this mean that if sokmeone dies nearby unrelated to any actions he has taken himself then Morrissey is willing to step up and accept the blame?

He appears to have lost the plot. Either that or he is a media hungry hasbeen who can't handle being out of the public eye.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 176
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 12/12/2012 3:59:02 PM   
MonsterCat

It amazes when Morrissey says these dumb things, because he isn't dumb, he seems like a smart guy.

God knows he's entitled to speak out against the Royal family if he wants to (personally speaking I feel nothing but indifference to the Royals), but the key is to voice those opinions in an adult and intelligent manner.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/12/2012 4:00:27 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 177
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 12/12/2012 4:17:04 PM   
Sinatra

He just want's everyone to be as miserable as him... fucking idiot. In the summer he compared the Olympic 'feel good feeling' to that of Nazi Germany, what a complete tool.

I friggin hated The Smiths too.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 178
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 12/12/2012 4:39:56 PM   
Rhubarb

Lol that any of you still get annoyed by Morrissey in 2012.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 179
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 12/12/2012 5:22:58 PM   
sanchia

I don't think he annoys us so much as we pity him for how pathetic and needy he appears.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI