Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 9:11:52 PM   
Mister Coe

This is an awful story, one with no winners, whatever the official result might be.

Someone made a silly crank call. It's a staple of comedic radio, we've all heard and enjoyed them. But it landed in the public domain and got broadcast worldwide... and it got put on the head and shoulders of someone who wasn't in a position to deal with it, for whatever reason.

I don't know what this nurse was dealing with at the time or wherever her head was at in the moment when she got that call... but she took the call and did whatever she did and this is the end result. Fucking awful.

I think the Aussie presenters genuinely thought it was a bit of a joke and I suspect they're feeling truly awful right now. I've heard the call, I don't think there was anything malicious about it.

Even the Royal Family thought it was a joke! Have you seen the video of what Prince Charles said?

This is such a sad situation....

Say what now?
Post #: 1
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 9:24:01 PM   
paul.mccluskey

It's a tragic situation. A prank has gone very badly wrong and cost someone their life. The DJs should be hauled over the coals for this. They should have thought about the repercussions of their actions before they decided to go through with this bad joke, but I'm sure they didn't think it would lead to this. Bad enough that the nurse would have probably lost her job to to a data breach.

From what the news have said within the last hour, the DJs have been removed from their position until further notice. They deserve to be sacked not just disciplined.

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 2
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 9:29:06 PM   
Shifty Bench

Apparently the prank was pre-recorded and vetted by lawyers and such before being broadcast so someone clearly thought it was fine to be put on the air. Maybe they should be sacked too.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 3
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 9:32:25 PM   
tommyjarvis

The amount of absolute morons slating the DJs on the 2day FM Facebook page is quite worrying. You'd think they killed her themselves.

It was a just a mildly amusing prank, and it's had some tragic indirect consequences, but I don't see how you can blame the DJs for this one.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 4
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 9:32:44 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

This is an awful story, one with no winners, whatever the official result might be.

Someone made a silly crank call. It's a staple of comedic radio, we've all heard and enjoyed them. But it landed in the public domain and got broadcast worldwide... and it got put on the head and shoulders of someone who wasn't in a position to deal with it, for whatever reason.

I don't know what this nurse was dealing with at the time or wherever her head was at in the moment when she got that call... but she took the call and did whatever she did and this is the end result. Fucking awful.

I think the Aussie presenters genuinely thought it was a bit of a joke and I suspect they're feeling truly awful right now. I've heard the call, I don't think there was anything malicious about it.

Even the Royal Family thought it was a joke! Have you seen the video of what Prince Charles said?

And yet formal complaints have been made to their equivalent of Ofcom about the prank and this station has pretty foul form. And it was  unpleasant - a woman is in hospital before the miscarriage window with a condition exacerbated by stress and two bloody idiots think it's fun to call up and get her private medical info. Sick bastards are sick bastards - the idea that some have lowered the decency bar enough to think that's funny depresses me.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 5
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 9:37:22 PM   
Skiba

It's a fucking tragedy but they wouldn't have ever thought that there'd be an outcome like this. It's not exactly the most devious prank is it? Apparently it's not the nurse who gave out all the information from what I've read. Her employers should've been a bit more supportive perhaps?

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 6
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 9:47:51 PM   
elab49

There's no evidence her employers weren't so far - there have been statements that neither nurse was disciplined (including the nurse who did give out the info).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 7
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 9:55:33 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

There's no evidence her employers weren't so far -†there have been statements that neither nurse was disciplined (including the nurse who did give out the info).

Purely speculation from me of course...but I'd say not giving them any official disciplinary doesn't necessarily mean they've given them any support.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 10:02:19 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

And yet formal complaints have been made to their equivalent of Ofcom about the prank and this station has pretty foul form. And it was† unpleasant - a woman is in hospital before the miscarriage window with a condition exacerbated by stress and two bloody idiots think it's fun to call up and get her private medical info. Sick bastards are sick bastards - the idea that some have lowered the decency bar enough to think that's funny depresses me.

No.

We all know damn well that there was nothing seriously wrong with Kate... if there was, we wouldn't hear jack-shit about it. My mate's wife had exactly the same condition... she got over it. Many women do. A couple of radio presenters thought they might do something funny for their listeners... and now the whole media bollocks has come crashing around over their heads.

Do you really think that those presenters are punching the air and saying 'YES! SOMEBODY KILLED THEMSELVES!'

Or do you think they are feeling like shit right now..?

Say what now?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 10:19:47 PM   
elab49

The condition she has was made public.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/hyperemesisgravidarum1.shtml

The doctors discussing it on the news made clear stress was to be avoided. So I don't know what you know but unless they're lying about her having a relatively rare condition, the woman does not have a common condition that she'll just 'get over' - she might have about another 3 months of it, minimum. Perhaps your mate's wife had normal morning sickness - which is also something that shouldn't be dismissed, deeply unpleasant as it is. I do recall a discussion between one of the presenters and a female GP about whether male GPs were likely to deal with the potential complications properly given some kind of wide acceptance that some men dismiss morning sickness without understanding how debilitating it can be (the female GP strongly defended her male colleagues BTW arguing that most men had dragged themselves out of the dark ages wrt the tackily dismissive 'womens' problems'). .

So I don't really care how the presenters feel - it was a dumb and fairly shitty joke in the first place and they clearly didn't give a toss that getting as far as they did could have gotten someone into trouble and have been getting off on their worldwide publicity ever since. Now they get the other side it probably doesn't feel quite so funny. Tough.

quote:

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 10
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 10:30:05 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

The so called DJs are bellends, surely they should think of the fallout given the scale of the people in question.
Our actions have consequences, I hope they have to face theirs.

quote:

they were "very surprised that our call was put through".

"We thought we'd be hung up on as soon as they heard our terrible accents.

Oh right so its the nurses fault for not thinking a pair a talent-less twats might phone up.
Hope they never work in radio again, their actions are found to be illegal.

quote:

Or do you think they are feeling like shit right now..?

Well that's ok then, because the nurses' friends/kids/family/patients are singing in the streets because of their actions.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 7/12/2012 10:35:31 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 10:37:40 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/hyperemesisgravidarum1.shtml

The doctors discussing it on the news made clear stress was to be avoided. So I don't know what you know but unless they're lying about her having a relatively rare condition, the woman does not have a common condition that she'll just 'get over' - she might have about another 3 months of it, minimum. Perhaps your mate's wife had normal morning sickness - which is also something that shouldn't be dismissed, deeply unpleasant as it is. I do recall a discussion between one of the presenters and a female GP about whether male GPs were likely to deal with the potential complications properly given some kind of wide acceptance that some men dismiss morning sickness without understanding how debilitating it can be (the female GP strongly defended her male colleagues BTW arguing that most men had dragged themselves out of the dark ages wrt the tackily dismissive 'womens' problems'). .

So I don't really care how the presenters feel - it was a dumb and fairly shitty joke in the first place and they clearly didn't give a toss that getting as far as they did could have gotten someone into trouble and have been getting off on their worldwide publicity ever since. Now they get the other side it probably doesn't feel quite so funny. Tough.

Mate... SOMEBODY FUCKING DIED! Yes, it was a stupid joke, but do you REALLY think that this is ore important than a massively wealthy woman is going to throw up for a few more weeks?

Seriously?

Say what now?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 10:39:04 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Oh right so its the nurses fault for not thinking a pair a talent-less twats might phone up.

Given the high profile nature of the patient, you'd hope everyone on staff would have been aware that there was the risk of the media phoning up trying to get information. Or an obsessed fan. Or maybe even a terror plot.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 13
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 10:41:23 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Given the high profile nature of the patient, you'd hope everyone on staff would have been aware that there was the risk of the media phoning up trying to get information. Or an obsessed fan. Or maybe even a terror plot.

So they have a point that the Nurses should have stopped them, and therefore it makes it ok?

If you're genuinely sorry for something you don't put forward excuses that it wasn't all your fault.
They decided to do it, they made the call, what happens afterward is theirs to deal with.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 7/12/2012 10:42:30 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 14
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 10:53:26 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

So they have a point that the Nurses should have stopped them, and therefore it makes it ok?

If there was a properly trained receptionist on duty, the call would never have got through. It wasn't exactly a cunning ploy to get the information. They called up and pretend to be the Queen. Why wasn't there strict measures in place that said that no calls could be put through without passing security clearance?

quote:

If you're genuinely sorry for something you don't put forward excuses that it wasn't all your fault.

Well, it wasn't all their fault. They initiated the call, but the fact remains they wouldn't have expected this outcome, nor should they take the full blame for it. And no amount of moral outrage is going to change that. The hospital should have verified the identity of the caller thoroughly. Or is it really this simple to get private information about a member of the royal family? Just call up and say "I'm her grandmother-in-law, honest!!" Solely blaming the djs just shifts the attention from the fact that there was a colossal fuck-up here by the hospital. Why wasn't there a receptionist on duty? Why was a duty nurse put in the position of answering the phone in the first place?

quote:

They decided to do it, they made the call, what happens afterward is theirs to deal with.

Would you hold the same to be true if one of the djs committed suicide because of the internet hate mob? You know, the people baying for their blood are responsible because they decided to post their outrage?

Post #: 15
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 10:58:02 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

Mate... SOMEBODY FUCKING DIED! Yes, it was a stupid joke, but do you REALLY think that this is ore important than a massively wealthy woman is going to throw up for a few more weeks?

Seriously?

Just so you know, in case you don't already, Elab is a woman.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 16
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:03:17 PM   
tommyjarvis

Surely this is more the fault of the media for making such a fuss over the prank call in the first place? If it hadn't been so publicised there may not have been a suicide.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

They allow women on the internet now?

< Message edited by tommyjarvis -- 7/12/2012 11:04:08 PM >

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 17
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:03:28 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Seriously?

I'm not really sure what you mean - I haven't said any of that. I was simply disagreeing with your statement regarding the condition she has.

quote:

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 18
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:04:52 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

They allow women on the internet now?

Ssssh, don't tell anyone....

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 19
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:06:24 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

I'd give them something of a break on that - half 5 in the morning after a night shift and the phone she answered wasn't hers. Nurses have better things to be doing with their time than act as receptionists (you'd think a private hospital would be able to afford one of them for all hours!), and she made a mistake. The hospital said they didn't discipline her and that seems the decent thing to do. And I guess that snowballed to the 2nd nurse who assumed the validation was the call being passed through.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:09:22 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd give them something of a break on that - half 5 in the morning after a night shift and the phone she answered wasn't hers. Nurses have better things to be doing with their time than act as receptionists (you'd think a private hospital would be able to afford one of them for all hours!), and she made a mistake. The hospital said they didn't discipline her and that seems the decent thing to do. And I guess that snowballed to the 2nd nurse who assumed the validation was the call being passed through.

So the hospital gets a break for not having proper security in place, yet the djs are completely at fault for making a silly prank call?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:12:11 PM   
elab49

This radio station does have form. I was reading about the 14yo dragged on for some Jeremy Kyle type crap with a lie detector and telling her idiot mother she was actually raped. And that doesn't seem to be the only stunt they've pulled.

I don't think the hospital not having proper procedures in place changes, for me, the sheer idiocy of trying it on in the first place. They chose to do that, they chose to continue the call, they cleared it with their lawyers, they broadcast it, they kept on about it and they basked in their glory. All for calling up for private medical information about woman in hospital with problems re her pregnancy. I think that's amazingly shitty. And dumb - given the case above and apparently others their station must know what it's like to be on the receiving end of public anger.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:12:44 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Would you hold the same to be true if one of the djs committed suicide because of the internet hate mob? You know, the people baying for their blood are responsible because they decided to post their outrage?

I'm not baying for blood, but yes if they committed suicide because they read a post of mine then I'm happy to take responsibility for calling them talentless twats and bellends. I'd also submit the evidence of their actions as evidence that I'm not far away from the mark.

quote:

So the hospital gets a break for not having proper security in place, yet the djs are completely at fault for making a silly prank call?

Well I'd suggest the nurse (trained to care and look after folk) has paid the price so we can all be happy.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 7/12/2012 11:16:43 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 23
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:14:28 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are the DJs are fault for all by themselves deciding to do it AND THEN BROADCAST IT? Yup.

Did the hospital fail in their duty of care to the nurse? Probably that too. The stated response though is that they tried to support the nurse. They didn't broadcast it all over the world.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 24
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:18:42 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Don't get Rawlinson onto people taking responsibility for their actions. it'll go on all night.

Ask him one on celebrity role models.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 7/12/2012 11:19:05 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:21:33 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

This radio station does have form. I was reading about the 14yo dragged on for some Jeremy Kyle type crap with a lie detector and telling her idiot mother she was actually raped. And that doesn't seem to be the only stunt they've pulled.

You mean this?

quote:

In yesterday's segment, the 14-year-old, who was brought on to undergo a lie detector test because of her motherís concerns about her drugs and sex experience, told Sandilands before the questions started: "Iím scared ... itís not fair."

After asking her daughter if she had skipped school, the mother asked: "Have you ever had sex?"

The 14-year-old replied: "Iíve already told you the story about this ... and donít look at me and smile because itís not funny."

After a pause she then raised her voice and said: "Oh, OK Ö I got raped when I was 12 years old."

The girl was brought on by her mother. Her mother knew about the rape. Her mother insisted on questioning her, and by the daughter's own words was smiling at her when questioning her. How is that the fault of anyone other than the mother? She knew her daughter had been raped and still subjected her to that on air.

quote:

I don't think the hospital not having proper procedures in place changes, for me, the sheer idiocy of trying it on in the first place.

What's the greater idiocy? Djs making a prank call or a hospital not bothering with proper security measures?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:22:26 PM   
elab49

I can understand why people would be concerned about some of the stupid and frankly vile stuff that's been aimed at the DJs who perpetrated it, but I don't think that's any reason to mitigate their responsibility for their own prank.

These pranks are often cruel and dumb, a crude form of bullying,  and at some point they inevitably will bite the idiots who carry them out. They have to. This is a horrible way for it to happen.

quote:

Post #: 27
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:23:05 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

What's the greater idiocy? Djs making a prank call or a hospital not bothering with proper security measures?

The DJs. Is it a starter for 10?

quote:

I can understand why people would be concerned about some of the stupid and frankly vile stuff that's been aimed at the DJs who perpetrated it, but I don't think that's any reason to mitigate their responsibility for their own prank.

These pranks are often cruel and dumb, a crude form of bullying,† and at some point they inevitably will bite the idiots who carry them out. They have to. This is a horrible way for it to happen.

There is also a very real risk of if you manage to con the nurses (whom they must have expected to get past), that they could lose their jobs. They didn't seem to worry too much about that either. But yet they should now be absolved because the stupid dead nurse put them through. Evolution just cutting out a few million years and getting to the crux of the matter eh?

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 7/12/2012 11:25:40 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 28
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:24:55 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

I'm not baying for blood, but yes if they committed suicide because they read a post of mine then I'm happy to take responsibility for calling them talentless twats and bellends. I'd also submit the evidence of their actions as evidence that I'm not far away from the mark.

So you think it'd be ok that they killed themselves because you think you're right in your assessments?

quote:

Are the DJs are fault for all by themselves deciding to do it AND THEN BROADCAST IT? Yup.

You mean broadcasting a prank they'd got away with and that nobody had been hurt by at that time? Yep, far worse behaviour than the hospital fucking up with patient privacy.

quote:

Did the hospital fail in their duty of care to the nurse? Probably that too. The stated response though is that they tried to support the nurse. They didn't broadcast it all over the world.

I haven't mentioned that. I'm saying they deserve blame for not having security in place to ensure this couldn't happen to begin with.

quote:

Don't get Rawlinson onto people taking responsibility for their actions. it'll go on all night.

Ask him one on celebrity role models.

Better yet, ask Bob one on misogyny.

Post #: 29
RE: Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... - 7/12/2012 11:26:16 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I'm not. I'm saying they don't deserve all the blame. And the fact that people are more than willing to give the hospital a pass just suggests to me they want their outrage and they don't care about proportion.

quote:

These pranks are often cruel and dumb, a crude form of bullying,

You could say the same about internet hate campaigns.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Nurse commits suicide at King Edward Hospital... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI